PDA

View Full Version : Boiling Springs PA to Darlington shelter question

THEDON
05-13-2016, 12:26
Just completed Pen-Mar to A.T. museum and planning from there to Duncannon in early June.

Looks like a 14ish mile stretch from Boiling Springs to the shelter which is about my limit.
PATC Map shows flat like a pancake except for the climb to the shelter for last mile or so. Wondering if it is a rock / boulder scramble along that 14 mile stretch or pretty much turn and burn the miles?

If I remember right, Guthook app warns no camping between that stretch so it's all or nothing. (I'm way to new to this to consider stealth) Lastly can anyone recommend a few places to stay in Boiling Springs and Duncannon? Read a lot of mix thoughts about the Doyle.
Thanks
Don

moldy
05-13-2016, 12:41
Now that everything is green, you can find quite a few places to camp in the Cumberland Valley. The trick is to get far enough off the At so hikers can't see you and at the same time not be in the view of farms, roads and buildings. The further you get North the better for finding a place. I would not light a fire. Your last 3 or 4 miles into Duncannon is very rocky so no burning or turning.

Starchild
05-13-2016, 13:06
Allenbury in Boiling Springs was a great stay in 2013, heard the owners have had personal issues and are looking to sell and not really doing much with the resort, I would still stay there, but not expect all the great frills of the irst stay. Do not stay by the town AT camp site near the railroad yard, way too noisy (though free)

peakbagger
05-13-2016, 13:32
The hike to the base of the ridge is easy walking, some long stretches without shade and can be brutal on hot sunny day. The climb up from the road to the shelter at the end of the day is steep and rocky.

SteelCut
05-13-2016, 13:35
Looks like a 14ish mile stretch from Boiling Springs to the shelter which is about my limit.
PATC Map shows flat like a pancake except for the climb to the shelter for last mile or so. Wondering if it is a rock / boulder scramble along that 14 mile stretch or pretty much turn and burn the miles?

It's flat and easy hiking between and along farm fields. It gets a bit rolling towards the end and then uphill and a bit rocky in last bit to the shelter.

dzierzak
05-16-2016, 15:06
Now that everything is green, you can find quite a few places to camp in the Cumberland Valley. The trick is to get far enough off the At so hikers can't see you and at the same time not be in the view of farms, roads and buildings. The further you get North the better for finding a place. I would not light a fire. Your last 3 or 4 miles into Duncannon is very rocky so no burning or turning.

No LEGAL place to camp in the valley except Boiling Springs. Don't screw it up for the rest of us.

Thru-Hikers Companion:

No fires in the valley
Between Alec Kennedy and
Darlington shelters, the Boiling Springs campsite
(see next entry) is the only place where camping is
allowed."

ki0eh
05-16-2016, 16:03
The Cumberland Valley corridor was acquired just in time. Many houses and monster warehouses now directly border it, more every month it seems. The corridor itself is shadier than it was 15 years ago, CVATC mows less, and less often, than back then.

MisterQ
05-16-2016, 16:40
I did this section last September and was surprised at the amount of shade. Based on what I had read I was expecting an open field walk. There are open areas but most of the trail across the valley winds through groves of trees. The last couple miles up to the shelter is a decent climb but the 14 miles is easily done in a day.

Allenberry is a good option in Boiling Springs, at the $40 hiker rate.

Del Q
05-16-2016, 20:43
Easy section comparatively, this was actually my very 1st section hike in 2006, did 15 miles from Boiling Springs to the Darlington Shelter. Climb at the end is not that hard. Its the rocks further North that stink!