PDA

View Full Version : First Section Hike - Recap

FossilFool
05-13-2016, 13:28
In the first week of May, my 2 sons (20 & 21), joined me for our first section hike on the AT from near Fontana Dam to NOC. Their grandpa dropped us off at highway 28. Our goal was an easy 5.5 mi to Cable Gap Shelter. 15 minutes into the hike, we passed 4 miserable looking women who were stopped catching their breath. They had started at Fontana Dam just a couple of miles back.

We easily made it to the shelter and looked for a spot to hang our hammocks. There were several places that we could have hung them but we opted to get away from the weird looking guitar carrying guy, so took a spot up the hill. Despite our distance from the privy, the breeze blew the stench our way. It was pretty disgusting.

After an hour or two later, the women showed up, exhausted and unhappy. They set up two 2-person tents, as they smoked their cigarettes. That was the last peaceful moment we had until they finally went to sleep. Next morning they were up early, and it was like 4 women at a bar talking loudly and carrying on. Worse, we woke up to the stench of burning trash. Not burning wood,wet burning trash. It had rained, and the trash they hoped to burn wouldn't. They left camp a couple of hours before us, and we passed their fire ring on our way out. It was a mountain of unburned trash, including a full roll of toilet paper. Yes, a roll, like what's hanging in your bathroom at home. No wonder their packs were so big.

Before we left camp, a big dog came strolling around. Owner was nowhere in sight, but turned out to be relaxing in the shelter. Friendly enough dog, but...

We passed the ladies after an hour. We then realized that they would be stopping at the same shelter as us again, Brown Fork. Turned out they were doing the exact section we were. We wondered about the chances of this happening... of all the sections that people could hike, all of the places they could start, and all of the times that they could start, they had to do the exact same section at the same time as us. Who did I screw over in my past life to deserve this?

Brown Fork Shelter area was nice for hammocking. Except for the ladies yelling across the campsites to each other. They actually brought a bottle of rum with them. Rum. Was it worth the weight? As they were leaving the next morning, before us as usual, I saw an unopened pouch of Mountain House Chicken and Rice. I asked them if they forgot it, their reply "Can you just put that in the fire pit for us?". Really?

There was also a pile of feces right next to their campsite, just 20' uphill from the stream where we got our water. Can't be sure it was from them, but it wouldn't shock me. Better use those filters and/or purifiers!

We passed them again pretty soon. Next stop was Sassafrass, but the gods were with us. One of them could barely walk due to blisters, and the weather was supposed to get into the 30's that night, not good for fair weather car campers. The highway at Stecoah Gap was on the way, and they planned to 'tap out' there. Praise Jesus. Grandpa was waiting there for us with fresh fruit, enough to share with all the hikers who were passing through at the time. Trail magic. He also had some warmer clothes for us. He graciously took the ladies to their car back at Fontana.

It was a tough hike up to Cheoah Bald and Sassafrass. The shelter was already overflowing by the time we got there. There were no tent sites, and we had to hang hammocks wherever we could find appropriate trees. One hiker evidently had about a pound of weed, we caught a nice buzz just from the 2nd hand smoke 50' away. First thing in the morning too. To each his own, that doesn't bother me. There was another dog running around free, in and out of the shelter.

My son went to pinch a loaf in the privy, but recoiled in horror as the poop was all the way up to the seat. Hanging balls would drag. He found a nice spot away from camp and water source. That night was cold and rainy, and the rain turned to snow. We had Warbonnet hammocks with Thermarest Trekker pads, Jacks top quilts. It was impossible to stay on the pads, even though they were in the hammock pocket made just for them. A long cold night.

We left the next morning with light flurries of snow, which turned to light rain. No problem. The final hike to NOC was relatively easy, mostly downhill of course, and not that steep. I was very glad not to be going the other way, uphill for 7 miles.

While most of the things I've mentioned here are negative, the overall experience was great. We had no blisters, no injuries, no ticks, the bugs weren't bad. The trail was spectacular. Canopies of mountain laurel, vistas of vast vallies and mountains. Rocks. I love rocks. Just awesome.

Mostly, I am in awe of what volunteers have done to maintain this trail. Steps, benches, shelters. If any volunteers read this, I thank you from the bottom of my heart. You're a hero.

Next section... Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam.

Gambit McCrae
05-13-2016, 14:06
so I took the time for some reason to clip out everything that wasn't negative from your trip summary. It didn't take very long at all. You mentioned "next section, Clingmans dome to Fontana", By the tone of your last 2 posts and the trail being so negative, "why plan another trip on the AT?" I mean, you might have to share the trail with some fruit bearing car campers. Or a bear might poop in the trail!

And don't post things like "he didn't use the privy because his balls would drag across the overflowing poop" have some couth about it. All ya have to say is the privy was too full, people don't want that mental picture.

Oh and there is no Hammocking in the Smokies at shelter sights, as a section hiker you are required to stay in the shelter and reserve your spot.

The more time you spend on the trail, the more you will become conditioned to these things that you complain about.

Nice of you to thank the volunteers of the trail, they seriously will never be thanked enough for their hard work and efforts to make the Trail a wonderful place.

SteelCut
05-13-2016, 14:09
Besides the Smokies, why would you stay at shelters if you hammock?? One of the attractions of hammock camping (at least for me) is the additional flexibility to be able to more easily camp away from all that. Water up at the shelter and move a reasonable distance up the trail. Problems solved.

Gambit McCrae
05-13-2016, 14:27
Besides the Smokies, why would you stay at shelters if you hammock?? One of the attractions of hammock camping (at least for me) is the additional flexibility to be able to more easily camp away from all that. Water up at the shelter and move a reasonable distance up the trail. Problems solved.

From personal experience early on, not being that far back for me, its a comfort zone thing. "I might not like hearing those yappy women drinking rum but hey, we aren't alone in the woods" :) lol

THEDON
05-13-2016, 17:23
complete opposite on my first section hike last week. Granted it was NOBO in PA ahead of the bubble, and the real rush of flip floppers. Met a bunch of great folks--Seeker (doing a thru), Cable (a long section SOBO) and a couple on their honeymoon from Australia (Munchkin and Mcrough) doing 2 weeks NOBO from Harpers. Shelters areas and privy's were all good and clean. Had a blast.

saltysack
05-13-2016, 17:47
so I took the time for some reason to clip out everything that wasn't negative from your trip summary. It didn't take very long at all. You mentioned "next section, Clingmans dome to Fontana", By the tone of your last 2 posts and the trail being so negative, "why plan another trip on the AT?" I mean, you might have to share the trail with some fruit bearing car campers. Or a bear might poop in the trail!

And don't post things like "he didn't use the privy because his balls would drag across the overflowing poop" have some couth about it. All ya have to say is the privy was too full, people don't want that mental picture.

Oh and there is no Hammocking in the Smokies at shelter sights, as a section hiker you are required to stay in the shelter and reserve your spot.

The more time you spend on the trail, the more you will become conditioned to these things that you complain about.

Nice of you to thank the volunteers of the trail, they seriously will never be thanked enough for their hard work and efforts to make the Trail a wonderful place.

I laughed my arse off at the privy comment...shelters and privies are discussing turd boxes alike!!

Venchka
05-13-2016, 17:58
Bookmarked in a folder titled: "Things you don't do".

Wayne

FossilFool
05-16-2016, 11:20

As newbies... it is still the best place to hammock. There are cleared spaces, and we use lots water for cooking. We wanted to be fully tanked before leaving the shelter. With a little more confidence and experience, we may have been comfortable doing that.

FossilFool
05-16-2016, 11:34

I failed to ultimately convey that the trail was so spectacular that the beauty overshadowed the negatives brought on by people who are inconsiderate. I'd love to see some bear poop, might even examine it to see what it ate. Human/dog waste, not so much.

I apologize that my lame attempt at humor offended you.

So if the shelter is full, you can't hammock around the shelter outside? I didn't realize that, thanks for pointing it out.

Not sure I'll condition myself to human waste at a campsite to the point that i wouldn't tell others about it. Who knows, maybe somebody who didn't realize that it's not cool to poop 20' from the stream will read it and realize their error. Maybe others who are about to do their first section would be more mentally prepared? Is it so bad to point those disgusting things out?

Amen to that. I may join them when i retire.

tiptoe
05-16-2016, 11:52
So sorry you had a bad experience, especially on your first hike, but it's really the luck of the draw. I'm glad you'll be giving it another shot, and hope things improve for you next time.

daveiniowa
05-16-2016, 12:20
So sorry you had a bad experience, especially on your first hike, but it's really the luck of the draw. I'm glad you'll be giving it another shot, and hope things improve for you next time.

That's just it! The next time you go out it will more than likely be a different experience with completely different kind of people. Would love to hear what your next hike is like compared to this one. Got it planned yet?

FossilFool
05-16-2016, 22:31
Now I wish I stressed more that it was still an overall very positive experience. I thought it would be of interest to perspective new hikers what they might experience on the trail the first time, perhaps they would be better mentally prepared. I am disappointed in the small minority of inconsiderate people, though let me stress that the vast majority of folks are very cool folks.

FossilFool
05-16-2016, 22:36
That's just it! The next time you go out it will more than likely be a different experience with completely different kind of people. Would love to hear what your next hike is like compared to this one. Got it planned yet?

Yep, as I mentioned it was just bad luck starting the same section at the same time with those inconsiderate ladies. It can't be that bad next time. Next section I think will be Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam. Up high to down low! It'll be interesting to see the difference hiking in the Nat'l Park.

Track3307
05-17-2016, 00:03
Fossil,

I thoroughly enjoyed your write up. Everyone knows it isn't always sunshine and roses and you put a hilarious spin on it. Please continue to provide updates as you and your sons make your way down the AT

la.lindsey
05-17-2016, 04:52
Next section I think will be Clingman's Dome to Fontana Dam. Up high to down low! .

That section has some great views- Shuckstack, Rocky Top, etc. I really enjoyed doing it southbound.

It also has Doe Knob, which for some reason remains one of my most hated climbs. I need to go back and see how long it actually was, because I think I've made it up into this massive 5 mile event. (It was not that bad. This is me being ridiculous. No one else talks about doe knob.)

Anyways, enjoy! The fun thing about sections is some are great, some are weird, and some are life changing.

doingtime
05-17-2016, 06:43
I enjoyed your write up exactly as it is. Good info with some humor mixed in. I "get it", while others may not.

Much appreciated.

Berserker
05-17-2016, 12:22
Despite our distance from the privy, the breeze blew the stench our way. It was pretty disgusting.
Arrrgh...I hate it when this happens. I remember tenting near a shelter in NH, and the whole time I was there it smelled like cat pee...yuck. Didn't really notice it when setting up, so the wind must have changed direction at some point.

There was also a pile of feces right next to their campsite, just 20' uphill from the stream where we got our water.
Man, when I was passing through TN I stopped at Watauga Lake shelter, and I stepped on a behemoth turd that someone dropped right behind the shelter. Took forever to get my shoe cleaned off. Man, go poop off in the woods somewhere...geesh.

My son went to pinch a loaf in the privy, but recoiled in horror as the poop was all the way up to the seat. Hanging balls would drag.
You got some bad press on this comment, but I thought it was pretty dang funny.

In general, if you want some more solitude try to hit it when the crowds aren't going through. Mid March to maybe June-ish is probably gonna be bad for that first piece from Springer to GSMNP.

LittleRock
05-17-2016, 13:44
Nice summary. Kinda makes me wish I'd taken the time to write down funny stuff that happened on my trips.

I'd wait until September/October to do the GSMNP section.

FossilFool
05-18-2016, 07:42
Fossil,

I thoroughly enjoyed your write up. Everyone knows it isn't always sunshine and roses and you put a hilarious spin on it. Please continue to provide updates as you and your sons make your way down the AT

Thanks for your comment. After the first few negative comments I regretted even posting it. These are the kinds of things I would think prospective hikers would want to hear about before doing their first hike.

shelb
05-19-2016, 00:26
I, too, found humor in your post!

I also think it was great that you took the time to thank the volunteers! Volunteers are the true angels we need to thank - from A.T. volunteers to Red Cross blood drive volunteers, to those who help non-profit organizations go, to the gal I saw who stopped to pull weeds along the bike path today! If we could all "Pay it Forward" and do some bit of good each day, even picking up one piece of trash - our world would be a better place!

cmoulder
05-19-2016, 07:47
Thanks for your comment. After the first few negative comments I regretted even posting it. These are the kinds of things I would think prospective hikers would want to hear about before doing their first hike.

Negativity begets negativity. :o