PDA

View Full Version : Mountain House 10 Serving Cans?

Secondmouse
05-14-2016, 15:26
Anyone use the Mountain House 10 Serving Cans?they were on sale a Cabela's a little while ago so I picked one up.

the pouches are supposed to be 2.5 servings but at the end of the day I can power through one and still look for more.

the cans say 10 servings. do you find this accurate?..

egilbe
05-14-2016, 16:28
10 servings if you aren't hiking, maybe.

colorado_rob
05-14-2016, 16:50
Not 10, that's for sure, maybe half of that.

I just go by ounces of the actual freeze-dried product. Look at a "2.5 serving" meal that you normally eat and how many ounces of actual freeze-dried product that is, then simply divide that into your "10 serving" can's net product weight, voila!

I personally divide my bulk freeze dried into 5-7 ounce servings, depending on what the actual food is.

Malto
05-14-2016, 17:00
I used several of those for my thru hike and have a couple still in the basement. Agree with the statement on serving size, no way 10 servings for a hiker. I bought ground beef and chicken and mixed it with common items like hamburger helper to make very low cost and better tasting meals.

Hikingjim
05-14-2016, 18:27
similar to your 10/2.5 serving ratio, I believe the cans are mostlyl just that: 4x as big as standard pouches

At least that was the case when I got 2 cans.

typically they'd be around 2,500 - 3,000 calories in a can. Definitely 10 meals.... if you like to eat 10 meals a day!

left52side
05-14-2016, 19:09
I made the mistake of bringing A one serving pouch bought from major chain grocery store and found I had to put three packs of crackers in it just to satisfy me but not fill me up.
I did however use A propak which is two serving package on my next trip and it seemed to work fine as far as filling me up after a fifteen mile day.
So my suggestion would be to put them in two serving packages making it 5 servings instead of ten.
I am looking at buying A bucket or two because they come out to be 2.5 servings in those packs and think after a long day it would do the trip. they also come out to less than 6.00 a pack that way as well.

cmoulder
05-14-2016, 19:34
Use a scale when repackaging in ziplocs or vacuum bags and measure out 4 to 4.5oz, which is the net weight of many of the "2-serving" sized MH meals.

Connie
05-14-2016, 20:07
Before I open up a #10 can, would have a home vacuum pack machine and either a roll or bags ready, that is, if you aren't feeding a group.

Once the can is opened, I have had the contents "brick".

Hosh
05-15-2016, 10:29
If your vacuum machine has a canister option, using mason jars will eliminate punctured bags. Jars can be stored in a freezer.

Malto
05-15-2016, 10:57
If your vacuum machine has a canister option, using mason jars will eliminate punctured bags. Jars can be stored in a freezer.

You can also but oxygen scavenger packets.

DuneElliot
05-15-2016, 12:15
A serving on the #10 cans is part of a meal, not a single serving that is an entire meal. When eating a meal you have a serving of meat, a serving of vegetables, a serving of potatoes etc. That is what is meant by a "serving" on those #10 cans. The pouches are classed slightly differently as they meant to be a complete meal. And don't forget, that what is a full-serving to you, might feed others for an entire day.

Abi
05-15-2016, 14:20
The serving size between the pouches and the cans is the same: 1 cup dry mix. For instance:

Mountain House Beef Stroganoff
#10 can, 1 serving = 57g
2.5 serving pouch, 1 serving = 57g
1 serving pouch, 1 serving = 57g

I have a #10 can of Rice & Chicken that says "Once open, contents should be used immediately. However, product resealed using the included plastic lid has been found to be acceptable up to one week after opening." (emphasis on package)

Secondmouse
05-15-2016, 20:01
ok thanks everyone. the 2.5 serving pouches are a little too much for me if I have something with it. last time out my son and I split one of the Beef Stew pouches and some Idahoan instant mashed potatoes and we were fine.

it looks like the "10-serving" can will actually be 5 on-the-trail servings if used as an entree. that's a shame because I bought the can thinking I could save money over the pouches but maybe I can save some weight and/or bulk.

again, thanks for your replies...