PDA

View Full Version : Quaker Hot Cereal Cups - Big Thumbs Up

fastfoxengineering
05-15-2016, 23:39
Anyone try these yet?

http://www.quakeroats.com/products/real-medleys#divoatmeal

Had the blueberry hazelnut the other day and it was pretty tasty. I added two heaping tablespoons of fido before adding hot water to it. Some of the best oatmeal I've had on the trail.

The cup made a nice coffee cup for the rest of the trip as well.

I recommend trying one out. I got mine at Walmart for about 80 cents a pop.

Regards,
Fastfox

Feral Bill
05-15-2016, 23:49
Anyone try these yet?

Had the blueberry hazelnut the other day and it was pretty tasty. I added two heaping tablespoons of fido before adding hot water to it. Some of the best oatmeal I've had on the trail.

Regards,
Fastfox
I hope you meant Nido

Venchka
05-15-2016, 23:50
Oatmeal for a week in those cups wouldn't leave much room for any other food. A lot of trash to carry out.
I mix my own oatmeal concoction in a Ziplock bag.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

fastfoxengineering
05-16-2016, 00:25
I hope you meant Nido

Lol, nido for sure!

Oatmeal for a week in those cups wouldn't leave much room for any other food. A lot of trash to carry out.
I mix my own oatmeal concoction in a Ziplock bag.

Wayne

I can see your point, however for an overnighter, not a bad option.

Hikes in Rain
05-16-2016, 05:58
Like the idea of it coming with a free coffee cup, too. I assume it's a paper produce, so it wouldn't last all that long, but as you said, for an overnighter or two, it'd save carrying a "real" cup.

Greenlight
05-16-2016, 06:32
If the taste is something to write home about, I'd ditch the packaging. My go-to solution for a trail cup is a squishy silicone stemless wine glass. Works really well as a hand warmer on cold mornings, too. I'll have to pick up a couple cups of this next time at Wally World.

Anyone try these yet?

Regards,
Fastfox

The Cleaner
05-16-2016, 06:45
My Doc said that most prepackaged oatmeal has too much sugar and the oats have had the bran removed too.I now cook steel cut oats sweetened with chopped dates.Yes you have to cook it in a pan for about 12-15 minutes and many hikers just don't want to take the time or fuel to do this.If you really want to save time just get up & pack up and shove a Pop tart in your mouth as you head out.:eek:

MtDoraDave
05-16-2016, 07:03
My Doc said that most prepackaged oatmeal has too much sugar and the oats have had the bran removed too.I now cook steel cut oats sweetened with chopped dates.Yes you have to cook it in a pan for about 12-15 minutes and many hikers just don't want to take the time or fuel to do this.If you really want to save time just get up & pack up and shove a Pop tart in your mouth as you head out.:eek:

Topic shift...
Steel cut oats, don't need to be cooked for 12 - 15 minutes if you have a container to soak them in overnight. This is a tip I learned from my, uh, god-sister-in-law, who is a very healthy eater. Add the water to the oats and put in the fridge overnight, and they are ready to eat the next morning. Also, add dehydrated fruit and chia seeds to hydrate overnight for some texture and nutritional boosts.

GoldenBear
05-16-2016, 10:59
> Oatmeal for a week in those cups wouldn't leave much room for any other food. A lot of trash to carry out.

I had one of those cups on an overnight just last week. I actually enjoyed the taste of the oatmeal, something I hadn't experienced in a while*. But then I realized I simply don't have room for even one week of breakfasts if each morning required one of those cups. So I decided to not use them in the future.

* Weird as it sounds, I love flavored oatmeal on a cold morning at home, but I have found I just can't stand it when backpacking. Not sure why.

wannahike
05-16-2016, 11:03

Just take the steel cut oats and whirl in a blender, you get instant steel cut oats or at least oats that cook in a minute or two :sun and still have the germ and bran.

Dogwood
05-16-2016, 12:05
My Doc said that most prepackaged oatmeal has too much sugar and the oats have had the bran removed too.I now cook steel cut oats sweetened with chopped dates.Yes you have to cook it in a pan for about 12-15 minutes and many hikers just don't want to take the time or fuel to do this….:eek:

Indeed! That taste sensation of prepackaged "flavored"(flavored with what?) oatmeal is going to be about MUCH added sugar and who knows what little else in terms of dismal substantial nutrition. Several times for a little experiment I sifted out the sugar and "flavorings" of prepackaged "flavored" oatmeal. 1/2 to 2/3 of the wt was sugar…basically I would have been eating oat flavored sugar by caloric content and by weight! Similar to the chocolate flavored sugar that defines most U.S. based "chocolate" and chocolate candy bars. U.S. citizens already consume 100 grams or about 25 teaspoons of added sugar per day that equates to about 66 lbs of added sugar per yr. far far above even the most generous health care professional recommendations. What's worse as backpackers we have to carry this lackluster nutritional ingredient.

Topic shift...
Steel cut oats, don't need to be cooked for 12 - 15 minutes if you have a container to soak them in overnight. This is a tip I learned from my, uh, god-sister-in-law, who is a very healthy eater. Add the water to the oats and put in the fridge overnight( or soak in a Ziploc overnight on trail) Also, add dehydrated fruit and chia seeds to hydrate overnight for some texture and nutritional boosts.

There you go. I take this approach in summer when wanting to eat oatmeal but don't want it hot or prefer not cooking. It also demonstrates an important way to consider oats as a carrier to what is added to them. Basically an infinite variety of taste, texture, and, MOST IMPORTANT OF ALL, NUTRITION sensations can by created with the you decide added ingredients. Good healthy food can taste good too! AND, it doesn't have to be inconvenient or expensive!

One of the attributes of steel cut oats is the slightly different somewhat chewy texture compared to regular quick cook or rolled oats. Steel cut oats are already quite small pieces smaller than the the other two listed whole oats. By further reducing the size of steel cut oats in a blender it takes away from the texture often desired.

> Oatmeal for a week in those cups wouldn't leave much room for any other food. A lot of trash to carry out.

…But then I realized I simply don't have room for even one week of breakfasts if each morning required one of those cups. So I decided to not use them in the future…

Added bulk and wt of prepackaged food has always been a noted concern for backpackers. Prepackaged "foods"(food like substances) in cups perhaps optimizes these concerns. Much less bulk making up one's own oatmeal meals stored in a Ziploc. As Fox said though perhaps OK for an overnighter for convenience sake.

Dogwood
05-16-2016, 12:13
Look at what Aria is putting into his oatmeal. I'd watch from the beginning but if you want to skip directly to his oatmeal recipe go to about 3:30 mins in. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ApUSHiDnvKI&feature=youtu.be

I never thought about putting cardamon in oatmeal. I thought it bizarre. It was bizarre because I never did it…. until last wk. Made my oatmeal as Aria did but adding dried coconut milk and dried blueberries. DELISH!

Venchka
05-16-2016, 13:33
Someone should follow me around with a video camera. Back in the 70's even. Everything old is new again.
Common sense and practicality. Mr. Fletcher's book is what you need.
Don't need videos for that stuff.
Yikes! Way off topic. KISS! Keep it simple.
BTW, I tried some expensive organic pop tarts. I don't do pop tarts. Yuck!
End of Rant.
Steel cut oats. Dried fruit. Kind Grain. Agave nectar. Ghee. Hot water. Breakfast! Some precooked bacon or sausage never hurt.

Wayne

bikebum1975
05-21-2016, 13:53
They aren't bad tasting but hell the price of them along with the bulk yeah I'll pass. Besides the fact they are to little for me. A few have mentioned about steel cut being to long to cook they do offer quicker cooking steel cut oats today. Personally I'd rather just mix my own. But hey like ya said for an overnight or two they aren't bad. Just pack out the trash

BillyGr
05-21-2016, 14:22
Perhaps getting one of these and then the rest of the hike length's product either in the packets or bulk in a Ziploc would be the best of both worlds? An easy to use (and light weight) cup to mix it in that could be reused the other days with the bulk stuff poured into it.

Secondmouse
08-18-2016, 19:31
I hope you meant Nido

lol. hahahahha...

egilbe
08-18-2016, 20:52
I just package quick cook oats, oat bran, chia seeds, dried fruit, nuts, spices, nido and brown sugar in a ziplock. Makes a quick, tasty and healthy breakfast.

Venchka
08-18-2016, 21:06
Lol, nido for sure!

I can see your point, however for an overnighter, not a bad option.
Overnighter? Who knew?
My problem is it would take me all day to get to somewhere for an overnighter.

Wayne