PDA

View Full Version : Following 2016 Hikers on YouTube

orthofingers
05-16-2016, 14:58
Quite a few hikers are putting their videos on YouTube. Which ones do you like and why?

i like Craig M.'s videos and although they're not as fast moving I also am following Steve Walker's. When I saw his first few I thought, "this guy will never make it" (no offense Steve), but he's hanging in there.

Roboman
05-16-2016, 15:13
My favorite so far is Ryan Johnson. He made it to NY earlier this week. I believe he is a member here.

perrito
05-16-2016, 16:14
In addition to those mentioned, check out
Highlander58 and Jacob Downing.

From recent years,
Gator Miller who did the AT in '15.
Will Wood who did the AT in '14 and the PCT in '15.
Joe Brewer who did the AT in '12, the PCT in '14 and the CDT in '15.
Loner2012AT who did it in '12.
All well done.

orthofingers
05-17-2016, 10:24
Yup, I've seen Gator's, Will's, Joe's and Loner's videos from past years. I agree. I enjoy them.

hikernutcasey
05-17-2016, 10:37
My favorite so far is Ryan Johnson. He made it to NY earlier this week. I believe he is a member here.Ryan's is my favorite as well. He is hiking with John Goodman which I think is a hilarious trail name. Looks just like him.

I'm currently working my way through Dixie's videos from last year which are good. You can find her on YouTube under Homemade Wonderlust.

linus72
05-17-2016, 10:58
we're enjoying watching Highlander58, Ryan Johnson, Jacob Downing, Steve Walker, Eric Lutz, and Hike and Tell. I'm hoping I'll run into Ryan this week in CT!

Roboman
05-17-2016, 11:08
we're enjoying watching Highlander58, Ryan Johnson, Jacob Downing, Steve Walker, Eric Lutz, and Hike and Tell. I'm hoping I'll run into Ryan this week in CT!

Ryan mentioned in his last posted video that he will be at home this week for graduation.

med2
05-17-2016, 15:42
I enjoy watching Highlander58 and Jocob Downing. Jacob is hiking with a friend that is making videos too, but I can't remember his YouTube channel; enjoy him also. There is a kind of quirky(to me) lady from NY city named, Yamaneko hikes I watch also.

Those that have somewhat of a theme to their videos seem best to me. I've found when taking videos for family and friends, take shots of things that are cool or unique, but event the seemingly mundane shots we appreciate later.

Theosus
05-17-2016, 17:41
I've been following ryan's but I can't watch much at once. The fish-eye lens on the camera he is using creates a distorted effect, as he pans around it twists and modifies the landscape. Makes me seasick after 10 or 15 minutes... But I finally caught up to his last entry. He is FLYING up the trail, it seems.

perrito
05-17-2016, 18:01
I've been following ryan's but I can't watch much at once. The fish-eye lens on the camera he is using creates a distorted effect, as he pans around it twists and modifies the landscape. Makes me seasick after 10 or 15 minutes... But I finally caught up to his last entry. He is FLYING up the trail, it seems.
My daughter says the same thing. I wonder if it's the video stabilization feature doing that.

Roboman
05-17-2016, 21:51
He is FLYING up the trail, it seems.

I was thinking the same thing.

Theosus
05-18-2016, 07:27
My daughter says the same thing. I wonder if it's the video stabilization feature doing that.

Could be - I made the mistake of letting youtube "stabilize" my videos before. Never again. Awful result

B_Rizzle
05-18-2016, 07:44
I enjoy watching Highlander58 and Jocob Downing. Jacob is hiking with a friend that is making videos too, but I can't remember his YouTube channel; enjoy him also.

Mitch Lenington. He has started to answer questions in his videos. Good info.

ryjohnson09
05-18-2016, 08:30
Could be - I made the mistake of letting youtube "stabilize" my videos before. Never again. Awful result

Hey guys, this is Ryan. Thanks for following along with my videos...and thank you Theosus/Perrito for pointing out that YouTube does stabilization. I'm going to try and upload my next few videos without the stabilization to see if that helps.

linus72
05-18-2016, 11:45
Ryan will you be in CT over memorial day weekend? Would love to say hey! I'll be out backpackin in northern CT

linus72
05-18-2016, 11:46
yeah i did that stabilize thing on my video of the CT AT and it totally effed it up. not doing it on my NY video! or any others....

ryjohnson09
05-18-2016, 11:50
Ryan will you be in CT over memorial day weekend? Would love to say hey! I'll be out backpackin in northern CT

Yup, I'll be back on the trail the 23rd...should be in CT around Wednesday or Thursday. I'll be taking one day off in CT to visit family, but should still be in the state memorial day weekend (or possibly just a bit north of the state in MA).

linus72
05-18-2016, 12:14
Awesome man, we love watchin your vids. I'll be up there the saturday near riga and bear mtn doin my volunteerin thing. maybe ill see ya!

ryjohnson09
05-18-2016, 12:16
I'll keep my eyes open for you!