PDA

View Full Version : White gas bonanza - with pics!

Patrick
12-30-2005, 23:26
Got to talking about this on another thread, but thought I'd start a new one.

We were talking about using white gas in an alcohol stove. I've heard all kinds of warnings -- melting, explosion, loss of pets, etc, so obviously had to give it a whirl.

I grabbed five expendable models from the big bag of stoves and headed for the patio armed with a fire extinguisher and digital camera (with video!).

I used a SuperCat, homemade Ion, Anitgravity Gear Pepsi, and two old experimental wedding tin designs of my own.

In each stove I estimated about half an ounce of Coleman fuel. For the first round, I let them all burn with no pot. After that I picked a couple and used them with a pot and windscreen.

I have to say I'm a little disappointed with the results. For all but the Ion, the flames quickly shot up to an impressive height, but there was no real damage or even danger. The Ion once again proved to be the most efficient. The flame just shot out of the center hole. It was fairly high, but never got out of control. It burned for more than ten minutes, while the others all burned out in two or three.

I actually thought the Ion might have a shot at working with the white gas, so it was the first one I tried with the pot (1.3 liter ti). It started out real well, but the back pressure proved to be a bit too much and the flames quickly got out of control.

I thought the Pepsi stove had the best odds of blowing up given it's thin double wall design. I thought I had an even better chance of it after finding out it was necessary to let it heat up before putting the pot on, thereby increasing my time right next to it. No soap, though. Flames were out of control, but no explosion or disaster.

So, from now on, I'm going to scoff at anyone preaching certain death and destruction for white gas in an alkie stove. Not something you want to do, but not the end of the world either.

But enough talk, here are the pics.

1. The lineup
2. SuperCat burning
3. Pepsi burning with pot
4. Ion burning
5. Homemade burning

OhCanada
12-31-2005, 00:42
Where are the pets? They had enough sence to hide under the bed?

I think white gas is too uncontrolable in the open, that is why it needs a regular stove. Alchol is much better behaved so you can burn it in little more than a double wall tin can.

Doctari
12-31-2005, 01:44
Ahhh man! No explosions?!?!?!
I am sooo disapointed :datz

Way good pictures tho :clap

Thanks for posting the results, and risking life & limb in the name of science.

Doctari.

Patrick
12-31-2005, 01:55
I know, man. Total crap.

I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.

I need to put the videos up. The highlight is my girlfriend coming out and screaming for me to put it out.

Two Speed
12-31-2005, 07:24
I hope you had a rated fire extinguisher handy. A good excuse if the local fuzz show up and object might be in order, too, particularly if you've got any neighbors that are easily spooked.

Skidsteer
12-31-2005, 09:56
I know, man. Total crap.

I had an alcohol one blow up once, so I figured this was a lock. I feel like I really let the team down.

I need to put the videos up. The highlight is my girlfriend coming out and screaming for me to put it out.

Don't sweat it, man. I nominate you for President of the "not trying this at home is for sissies" club.;)

weary
12-31-2005, 11:23
Where are the pets? They had enough sence to hide under the bed?

I think white gas is too uncontrolable in the open, that is why it needs a regular stove. Alchol is much better behaved so you can burn it in little more than a double wall tin can.
One way to control a white gas fire is to fill a small can with sand, and then pour in the white gas. The gas will burn slowly with no flares. However, I've never tried cooking with sand tempered white gas. It was just an easy way to start campfires in wet weather in those bad old days, when my kids and camping buddies demanded a campfire every night.

We joked that white gas and sand was "an old Indian trick."

Weary

max patch
12-31-2005, 11:54
A long time ago...mid 80's...I fired up my Svea123 and started boiling water for my morning coffee. Only somehow I poured white gas into the pot instead of water. I realized my mistake when my pot looked similar to your last picture on the right. Only bigger.

betic4lyf
12-31-2005, 14:00
wow that is the coolest thing ever.

Patrick
12-31-2005, 15:41
Old Indian trick, I like that.

My best camping buddy is in the Marines, so we always talk about military stuff vs. civilian. When I was talking about making alcohol stoves, he got all excited and said they did the same thing in Iraq. Their design was to take an ammo can -- which is pretty big -- then fill it with dirt and diesel fuel.

Gotta get my hands on some diesel fuel...

gumby
12-31-2005, 19:17
A long time ago...mid 80's...I fired up my Svea123 and started boiling water for my morning coffee. Only somehow I poured white gas into the pot instead of water. I realized my mistake when my pot looked similar to your last picture on the right. Only bigger.

Now that's a picture I'd like to see.

In the Boy Scouts I had a propane lantern. One night me and my buds filled a 50 gallon trash bag full of propane, tied it up and kind of tossed it towards the campfire. All of a sudden it was daylight and it got quite warm in a flash (pun intended). Of course we got chewed out by our Scoutmaster, but later on he told us that it was the best campout prank he'd ever seen.

betic4lyf
12-31-2005, 19:39
i feel like such a wimp. all ive done is play with lighter fluid, and play with magnesium. magnesium is awesome.

Dances with Mice
01-01-2006, 01:52
Gotta get my hands on some diesel fuel... Kerosene or lamp oil would be the same. The ChemE in me has to add that diesel & kero are not identical, but in this application they'd behave the same.

Nightwalker
01-01-2006, 16:16
Build a Photon and light it with the screw out of the fill hole. You'll get yer explosion. They pop really good with alcohol when missing the fill screw. Gas oughtta be a real hoot.

Use a VERY long lighter!

Patrick
01-01-2006, 18:22
That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.

Nightwalker
01-02-2006, 00:42
That's interesting. The stove that blew up on me was a wedding tin with only a very small hole in the top.
It's the very small hole. Same with the un-closed Photon. Huge, fast vapor pressure spike. BOOM!

fireboy
01-02-2006, 11:43
Hey PATRICK, I like your style!!!!!!!!!!!!

YOU VENTURED YOU GAINED

great STUFF I'm impressed to give it a try myself. I'm FIREBOY

We're begining to see an added piece of great information concerning the blowing up of alcohol stoves.

I had one blow up also, left the screw out of the fill hole. Also had one that the fuel expanded while the stove heated up and overflowed into a ball of fire. These little things can be hazardous to your health and equipment. Be cautious.

Any one else out there have a similar experience to share about stove blowups?????????

Mags
01-02-2006, 12:49
We joked that white gas and sand was "an old Indian trick."

Weary

In my boyscout days we used to call white gas "Magic Boy Scout Water".

Best used when the scoutmaster was *not* around...

weary
01-02-2006, 14:49
In my boyscout days we used to call white gas "Magic Boy Scout Water". Best used when the scoutmaster was *not* around...
With the white gas in a can filled with sand trick, no one need ever know. No flares. So gentle and mild, you can light it with a book match, followed by just a continuing flame drying out wet firewood until it will burn by itself. The only hint when the fire finally goes out is a sand filled burned can, looking like something some litterer left in the fire ring.