PDA

View Full Version : For you gun lovers

fiddlehead
12-31-2005, 08:42
Why does this have to happen to me?
I hate guns, i come from a family where 3 out of 4 of my brothers hunt everything they can. 2 of them collect guns, this is their life! Anyway...
Yesterday i was driving down to visit a friend and a block from his house, (in a small town) i heard a loud crack in my car and turned around to see my rear side window (station wagon) blown out. I stopped and looked and saw a bullet hole in the window exactly at head heighth. I stopped, looked around and after 5 minutes of searching, found some kids hiding behind a garage.
2 of them ran but one came forward and apologized. claimed he was shooting at a squirrel in a tree. I didn't believe him but at least he came forward when his buddies ran. i got his info, called his parents that night (he was 14) and his Mom tried to brush me off saying she had to go to sleep (it was 6:30 PM) and they had big dogs and i shouldn't come down.
I told her i could just as easily go to the police so finally she relented. i came down and they chewed the kid out in front of me and told me they smashed the gun. they are going to pay for the window. (they said so anyway)
i rarely get afraid but i must say my blood was pumping in this situation. I've never been shot at before and it was wierd. So i'm thinking: Why me? i don't like guns, i don't think kids should be allowed to have them. I don't think anyone that is not responsible should be allowed to have them. why didn't charlton Heston have this happen to him ? He'd probably have a perfectly good reason for that kid to be shooting innocent folks.
I guess some will say i should've called the cops but i think it's the parents fault and putting the kid in some reformed school is not the answer. Anyway, i vented my anger here a bit and i'll be interested to see what some of you would've done in this situation.

rickb
12-31-2005, 09:11
Are you talking BB/Pellet gun or .22 or what?

Jaybird
12-31-2005, 11:09
GOD BLESS AMERICA!

dont u just love it when you ALMOST get killed & the suspect...(Yes, he commited a crime!) & parents...could care less?

in their minds...it was an accident (might've been) but, if the bullet wouldve gone thru your head....he'd be in jail.............................................. .................................................. .................................................. .................................................. .............................................. 'nuff said:D

Newb
12-31-2005, 11:13
I don't believe it. If a bullet hole appeared in my rear window I would go to the police immediately. I would prosecute to the full extent of the law. I would take the parents to the hanging judge.

Don't be soft.

greentick
12-31-2005, 12:03
Just one window blown out? Sounds like a bb or pellet. In any case, the projectile is probably in your car somewhere.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2005, 12:04
I love guns, have been around them all my life; I even made a career out of it in the Military. Having said that, I would have called the police, especially after the "Mom" initially told me: "she had to go to sleep".

Bottom line, if parents do not have any interest in supervising their children; the law and child protective services need to be brought in.

See ya'll on the trail!!!
GA>ME 2006

saimyoji
12-31-2005, 14:16
CALL THE POLICE NOW!!! Then call Child Protective Services. These parents are teaching their kids that this kind of behavior is okay. They are raising them to be criminals. Don't let them get away with this.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2005, 14:17
Forks cause obesity.

Cuffs
12-31-2005, 14:30
I have been raised around guns all my life (my dad is a firearms instructor for a Fed. agency) When taught properly (and I emphasize properly!) Kids wont do things like that... My dad showed me and taught me how to use everything he brought home. Eventually it became "now what, dad...?" I didnt really care much for what he had.

I did a 12 year career (retired last year) in law enforcement. And yes, I have been shot. It has never change my feeling on gun ownership. I do wish, however, that there was a more stringent background check AND training was mandatory!!

I am truly sorry for what happened to you, Fiddlehead, it should never have happened. If its not too late, please, call law enforcement, otherwise it may happen again. Not sure the kids will become full-fledged criminals, but this kind of behavior cannot be tolerated, and may as well put a stop to it while you can!

Hike on!!

RITBlake
12-31-2005, 14:43
once when I was kid of 9 or 10 years, my best friend and I thought it would be funny to shoot at the window of the ice cream truck as he drove down our street. I don't know why, we certainly gave no thought to the consequences. Well we sat in the bushes with pellet guns and waited for him to drive past. Then from about 50 yards we opened fire and his big back window quickly dropped out.

We froze as we saw the truck come to a stop. The driver chased us back in to the woods. We managed to make it back to my friends house. We thought we were home free, but an hour later there was a knock at the door. It was the ice cream man.

My parents and my buddies parents certainly weren't irresosponsible. I took the finest beating of my life, paid for the window, apologized to the driver, and we both did 20 hours of community service under my dads supervision. it was a really stupid decision to do what we did. At the time it seemed harmless and funny, today it just seems stupid

Moxie00
12-31-2005, 14:53
Call the cops. I live in a State where everyone north of Portland owns a gun, most families several. Many of our kids are brought up with guns, For some reason we have a very low rate of "gun crimes" and the entire state has about 20 murders a year.(the City of Boston just had their 75th murder for 2005) My point is that guns are not bad but when placed in the hands if irresponsible people they can be deadly. These kids must be reported and stopped. It is intresting to note, when I prepared for my thru hike many people wanted to know what kind of gun I would carry, One friend gave me a small Beretta 22 automatic "to use on snakes". Even though I am a former law enforcement officer with a federal firearms permit and own many guns I never carry one while backpacking and see no need to. By the way, was it even squirrel season where this happened? If it wasn't the fish and game people as well as the police will be intrested. It was an awful experience you had. It must be reported and investigated.

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2005, 14:58
We managed to make it back to my friends house. We thought we were home free, but an hour later there was a knock at the door. It was the ice cream man.

Do not say ICE CREAM MAN three times in a mirror.:eek:

The Desperado
12-31-2005, 15:05
Well, Fiddlehead your focus on guns is probably a little misplaced. It ought to be on lousy parental supervision. I grew up around guns all my life and knew everything from safety to proper shooting use etc...I also knew a toy from a real gun at a VERY early age. I too think you should have called the police. I dont think a bb gun has the power to break a car window, so I believe that if this happened as you recall it, then it very well may have been at the least a 22, or whatever. It certainly had the potential to be REALLY disastrous...to say the least. Nice of you to think of the kid, but I dont think you did him a favor. Now all that being said Fiddlehead.....stop blameing guns! It could just have easily been any number of other instruments.....Thankfully you werent hurt! Happy New Year........

napster
12-31-2005, 15:09
I've been shot twice and scratch via knife once yet I still love guns.I have seen a 38 reflect off a windsheild because of the angle of progection when fired.It don't matter if it was a BB,pellant or 22 or arrow rock or sling shot. Principle matter of fact they including parents are wrong.The only thing you will get payed is no attention. That is evident by the way mum backsas you and tried intimadate you with the dogs.Get the fuzz on they azz and maybe it will send a message that someday will save the kids life.

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 15:20
why do U want to save the kids life??,,,

the sooner folks like that are extinct the better,,,

folks like those certainly DON'T need guns.

and they don't need more kids eithier

Mandatory sterilization!

Scribe
12-31-2005, 15:34
[L. Wolf said: Forks cause obesity.]

Funny, sure. But forks all by themselves don't do much of anything. It is the idjit who uses the fork to shovel food in that causes the problem. All of my long life, I have heard that "guns don't kill people, people kill people". Well, yeah, but it is much more difficult to kill someone without a gun. I suppose you could use a crossbow - about anything else (knife, garrot) requires face to face confrontation. People with guns avoid face to face confrontation.

I was brought up in a house with guns. My 12th year birthday present was an over and under (22 rifle, 410 shotgune). Somewhere around the time I was 23, I realized that guns are for cowards. If you really want to show how brave you are, go for a grizzly mano a mano. Hell bells, anyone can shoot a deer -- but how about running down and choking one?

gsingjane
12-31-2005, 16:37
A friend of my dad's used to "run deer" growing up in Northern Wisconsin. They would wait until there was a thin layer of snow on the ground, and then run after a deer for hours until the deer dropped (apparently a deer can run much faster than a human, but can't run very long at one stretch), and then slay it. I guess they followed the deer's tracks, and it was a great way to get in shape for the track season.

Even though the end part doesn't sound all that appealing to me, this certainly sounds as if the deer winds up with a fighting chance, and the hunter with a terrific workout.

Jane in CT

Rollergirl
12-31-2005, 17:08
Fiddlehead,

Man, that would have scared the crap out of me too. I too say you should still call the police and make a report, at the very least, even if you decide not to press charges. Who knows how many times this has already happened?

Skyline
12-31-2005, 17:29
It's not just the guns that are dangerous. It's not just the people who are dangerous. It's the guns in the hands of people that are dangerous.

Cuffs
12-31-2005, 17:36
A friend of my dad's used to "run deer" growing up in Northern Wisconsin. They would wait until there was a thin layer of snow on the ground, and then run after a deer for hours until the deer dropped (apparently a deer can run much faster than a human, but can't run very long at one stretch), and then slay it. I guess they followed the deer's tracks, and it was a great way to get in shape for the track season.

Even though the end part doesn't sound all that appealing to me, this certainly sounds as if the deer winds up with a fighting chance, and the hunter with a terrific workout.

Jane in CT

We hunt wild hogs that way in Florida. Even the boars with 4" tusks and weigh upwards of 300#.

Many we wrestle to the ground and literally hog tie them, and sell them.

I think of it as a different was to hunt (and one heck of a wrestling workout!). I do hunt deer (for food) and fish (again, for food) I dont take what I cant eat, and have let many a deer just walk on by me...

Pedaling Fool
12-31-2005, 18:12

Jane in CT

I feel stupid asking, but do people really do that? I guess it is possible, even if you are making this up and I now that I look like a jacka$$ for responding. I might as well ask: Do they use dogs?

Now I am going to have to go do a yahoo search to research how fast deer run, how far.......

MOWGLI
12-31-2005, 18:37
One of my neighbors is an a-hole. There is no other way to describe him. He has a leaf blowing fetish. Strange dude.

In '04 his kid kept riding his mountain bike on my lawn. Nothin' terrible. I just don't want the kid to fall on my property, so his parents can sue me. Anyway, there are tons of places for this kid to ride. So... I asked him (very nicely) not to ride on my lawn - and he ignored me. So I asked him again. And his response was to ride his bike over a political sign I had in my front yard. Only, I didn't know it at the time. No biggee. It was one of those metal framed signs that bends back into shape. I fixed it and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward to January '05, and my doorbell rings. I answer it, and its the kid and his father. The father tells me that he learned that his kid ran over my political sign, and he makes the kid apologize. To which I say, "it's not a big deal." To which the father responds with a raised voice, "don't say that, it is a big deal." OK, fine. Whatever. End of conversation.

About 6 months later the girl next door shots a BB into one of my front windows - narrowly missing my daughter in the process. Guess what? The gun belongs to the kid across the street. It was kept in the garage and accessible to kids in a neighborhood, and the father knows all of this. Do you think he came and rang my bell to apologize? Of course not! Jerk.

MOWGLI
12-31-2005, 18:40
I feel stupid asking, but do people really do that? I guess it is possible, even if you are making this up and I now that I look like a jacka$$ for responding. I might as well ask: Do they use dogs?

Now I am going to have to go do a yahoo search to research how fast deer run, how far.......

Deer are hunted in Florida with dogs. I ran into hunters on the Florida Trail last January.

Ridge
12-31-2005, 18:40
Folks where I come would have shot back, but since it was kids they probably would just gotten their bicycle tires shot out. Must be an eye for eye kinda thing.

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 18:45
One of my neighbors is an a-hole. There is no other way to describe him. He has a leaf blowing fetish. Strange dude.

In '04 his kid kept riding his mountain bike on my lawn. Nothin' terrible. I just don't want the kid to fall on my property, so his parents can sue me. Anyway, there are tons of places for this kid to ride. So... I asked him (very nicely) not to ride on my lawn - and he ignored me. So I asked him again. And his response was to ride his bike over a political sign I had in my front yard. Only, I didn't know it at the time. No biggee. It was one of those metal framed signs that bends back into shape. I fixed it and thought nothing of it.

Fast forward to January '05, and my doorbell rings. I answer it, and its the kid and his father. The father tells me that he learned that his kid ran over my political sign, and he makes the kid apologize. To which I say, "it's not a big deal." To which the father responds with a raised voice, "don't say that, it is a big deal." OK, fine. Whatever. End of conversation.

About 6 months later the girl next door shots a BB into one of my front windows - narrowly missing my daughter in the process. Guess what? The gun belongs to the kid across the street. It was kept in the garage and accessible to kids in a neighborhood, and the father knows all of this. Do you think he came and rang my bell to apologize? Of course not! Jerk.

another case for immediate mandatory sterilization,,,,

PLEASE STAND FOR THE GOSPEL OF ABBEY!

"The purpose of love, sex, and marriage is the production and raising of children. But look about you: Most people have no business having children. They are unqualified, either genetically or culturally or both, to reproduce such sorry specimens as themselves. Of all our privileges, the license to breed is the one most grossly abused."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 18:49

"A man's duty? To be ready--with rifle or rood--to defend his home when the showdown comes."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Ridge
12-31-2005, 18:53
Criminals Love Gun Control - It Gives Them A Safe Work Environment!

and 80million people couldn't be wrong!

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 18:56

"if guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the government and outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

stupe
12-31-2005, 18:58
A friend of my dad's used to "run deer" growing up in Northern Wisconsin. They would wait until there was a thin layer of snow on the ground, and then run after a deer for hours until the deer dropped (apparently a deer can run much faster than a human, but can't run very long at one stretch), and then slay it.

Jane in CT
I've read about this. It's called "persistance hunting".
When we were kids, we sometimes visited my uncle and aunt, Uncle Al was a lifer in the navy, and lived at Naval Ammunition Depot Earle in Earle, NJ. They didn't keep ammunition there anymore, it was all pretty snazzy officers housing. It was fenced in and secure, and there were a herd of about fifteen deer in there. Me, my brother, and my cousin would chase them all day long, all over the base. But the deer always outlasted us.

Lone Wolf
12-31-2005, 19:32
I AM the NRA!

smokymtnsteve
12-31-2005, 19:59
I AM the NRA!

"A true libertarian supports free enterprise, opposes big business; supports local self-government, opposes the nation-state; supports the National Rifle Association, opposes the Pentagon"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Paywau
12-31-2005, 20:04
I had something similar happen to me. Shortly after we bought our house which is wooded. Apparently the previous person whom owned the house let the kids next door shoot onto the property at squirrels. One day I was working in the woods and heard bullets humming by my head. Needless to say I called the police. This kind of aggravated my neighbor but apparently he was not going to teach his kids proper gun etiquete so I did as well as him. We don't speak much but they no longer shoot over my property. Although I have seen them shooting in the direction of other neighbors. I am a Second Amendment advocate, but believe that the Second Amendment comes with responsibilities, to seek training, and to pass on appropriate training to your offspring. And yes I believe some people just should not procreate. I have neighbors on both sides who should have been limited. That is one of the reasons I carry roughly 16 hours a day.

Paywau
12-31-2005, 20:16
gsingjane,
Your father must be related to my grandfather. According to my mother he is the person who came up with the idea for Avenues to run East and West and Streets North and South. BTW he also came up with the idea to have even numbered highways run East and West and odd numbered highways to run North and South. I find it funny that he was a ticket agent for the Railroad. It seems like he would have been more important.

Skidsteer
12-31-2005, 20:47

"if guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the government and outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Count me in.

gsingjane
01-01-2006, 09:05
On the deer story, no, I wasn't making it up, although I guess since this was told to me rather than my actually seeing it happen, maybe it was a story and I was just too credulous or inexperienced to know it wasn't true. I do know that this man grew up in a cabin in the North Woods in Wisconsin, and that he was an incredible woodsman as well as athlete, and that my dad said they would sometimes track the deer over days. I remember that every year, their family's vacation was to go out canoeing and gather wild rice from the canoes. I always thought that was cool.

I guess I shouldn't have repeated it the deer story without verifying it, which means I shouldn't have posted it at all, since this man has now passed away. I always thought the story was true, though.

Jane in CT

Paywau
01-01-2006, 11:01
That's OK. My mother still believes my grandfather did this. Two of the reasons that I him to be messing with her is that first and foremost he was supposed to have been quite the practical jokester. Second I don't believe his position was held in that high regard. Not to mean that I don't respect him, that is if I had known him just that he probably said it off the cuff and didn't realize she would take him seriously. I can imagine that the old fashioned stalking deer hunter certainly felt like they were wearing the deer down or at least hoped so at times.

Pedaling Fool
01-01-2006, 13:03
I did not to intend to sound as if I was making fun of your story or question your integrity. I am glad you posted it - I found it very intertesting.

justusryans
01-01-2006, 13:07
We were born 200 years too late!

Jody7818
01-01-2006, 15:03
I sure do hate that happened to you Fiddlehead. It's a bad feeling when your life is endangered like that. Something similar happened to me last Friday. While I was driving, someone almost "t-boned" me in my car. It's a bad feeling. And it makes you fighting mad...well, it made me fighting mad. Anyways, i know how you feel.

I believe parent's nowadays aren't like they used to be. I was a bit mischeivous when I was growing up, and I paid dearly for it. However, I knew about gun safety and never endangered people because my parents taught me correctly. And that gun safety has never left me. That's something that I can pass on to my own children. I believe the worst thing a parent can do is give a gun (anytype) to a child without the proper safety procedures. And if the parent doesn't know the correct safety procedures, then they have no business purchasing it. In your case, it's really sad that the parent brushed off the seriousness of the situation. It's sad, but I believe that our society has become downgraded over the years. And your situation is a prime example.

neighbor dave
01-01-2006, 15:09
book'em dano!!:jump or send peips after'em. :welcome

smokymtnsteve
01-01-2006, 19:09
We were born 200 years too late!

the canon don't thunder ..there's nothing to plunder

Ima over 40 victim of fate

smokymtnsteve
01-01-2006, 19:12
I sure do hate that happened to you Fiddlehead. It's a bad feeling when your life is endangered like that. Something similar happened to me last Friday. While I was driving, someone almost "t-boned" me in my car. It's a bad feeling. And it makes you fighting mad...well, it made me fighting mad. Anyways, i know how you feel.

I believe parent's nowadays aren't like they used to be. I was a bit mischeivous when I was growing up, and I paid dearly for it. However, I knew about gun safety and never endangered people because my parents taught me correctly. And that gun safety has never left me. That's something that I can pass on to my own children. I believe the worst thing a parent can do is give a gun (anytype) to a child without the proper safety procedures. And if the parent doesn't know the correct safety procedures, then they have no business purchasing it. In your case, it's really sad that the parent brushed off the seriousness of the situation. It's sad, but I believe that our society has become downgraded over the years. And your situation is a prime example.

on the lines of not giving a child a gun without safety instruction..

I find it IMMORAL that "modern" societies give food and anti-biotics to "primitive" societies without also giving them birth control..

to give folks access to antibiotics and such and not birth control is IMMORAL.

justusryans
01-01-2006, 19:13
the canon don't thunder ..there's nothing to plunder

Ima over 40 victim of fate

I'm not the only Buffet Fan!!!:clap

Skidsteer
01-01-2006, 19:16

Not by a long shot, I bet.

smokymtnsteve
01-01-2006, 19:26

I had a buddy that was in the same hospice I wuz in ....he was arrested some years back with jimmy buffet in miami...after making bond they went to jimmies and partied.

i wuz taking the dude to his chemo/radiation TX...I had given him the $$$ to cop me a quarter LB...on the way back home he told me he wasn't feeling real well and for me to take the $$$ back...I told him hey man you'll be Ok...just hang on to the $$$ everything gonna B allrite.

I went the mtns for the weekend, when I got home to check on my friend and $$$ I learned that he had died well I wuz away,,

at his memorail service I spoke with the executor ....well to make a long story short...my material appeared, ;)

that was one right one all rite dude,

mother mother ocean..I have heard U call!

fiddlehead
01-01-2006, 21:48
Thanks everyone for your kind words and advice. The parents are paying for my window (i hope) and the gun has been destroyed.
Most everyone i asked for advice told me i should've gone to the police.
I did not because i was in some trouble when i was that age (not with guns but trouble nontheless) and when caught, was brought to my parents instead and always appreciated that fact and i think i turned out ok.
If i had a record, perhaps i wouldn't be able to travel now the way i do and that would suck.
Anyway, i have another strange twist to this story although it is not related in any way except that it happened the next day: My brother has a neighbor who parked his truck (he lives about 1 block away) in front of my brother's house and left it there for 15 days without moving it (it's still there) He parked it there because my brother's daughter shoveled the snow in that spot for her spot and then went to work.
Yesterday, my brother asked me to park him in leaving my car 4 inches from his front bumper while my brother did the same to the back because somehow he knew the guy would need the van (he's a DJ and was supposed to work new years eve)
well, my brother then went to a wedding and wasn't home when 2 hours later, the cops come to my door (next door to my brothers) and tell me i must move my car or get arrested for harrasment. I told him why i was doing it. And he chewed me out and said the guy could park the van there as long as he liked regardless of who shoveled the snow. I tried reasoning with him but saw it was not going to help. finally i said : "yes sir" and moved my car.
Now, i am going back to Thailand in 5 more days and i'll tell you, i really can't wait. Get me out of here. People don't discuss a problem with a man to man (or woman)talk anymore, neighbors don't try to get along, they just call the cops and now there's hate involved. For how long?
I still think i made the right decision about the shooting of my car window with the 14 year old. but of course that really won't be determined until he shoots someone else or not.
I can't live the way things are done here anymore i guess. I'll be real glad to get back to a country with very little crime, neighbors inviting me into their homes every day and saying hi to each other. and most importantly "SMILES"
I imagine this was all some kind of sign to me reassuring beliefs of how things have deteriorated here.
All in the name of Freedom too.
Good luck to you all.
I'll still be in touch with whiteblaze from Thailand but not as much. (my computer time over there is limited to cyber cafes) fh

smokymtnsteve
01-01-2006, 23:50

"A leader leads from in front, by the power of example. A ruler pushes from behind, by means of the club, the whip, the power of fear."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

thanks for the lesson fiddlehead :clap

Paywau
01-02-2006, 12:20
on the lines of not giving a child a gun without safety instruction..

I find it IMMORAL that "modern" societies give food and anti-biotics to "primitive" societies without also giving them birth control..

to give folks access to antibiotics and such and not birth control is IMMORAL.

I think it is criminal that we give anyone anything.

'Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach him how to fish and you feed him for a lifetime.' Lao Tzu

Just Jeff
01-02-2006, 12:22
Think you got that quote wrong.

Give a man a fish and you feed him for a day.
Teach a man to fish and you make him a liar forever.

Something like that. Did I ever tell you about that fish I caught?

shades of blue
01-02-2006, 12:34
Forks cause obesity.
In the right hands...

Paywau
01-02-2006, 12:47
In the right hands...

I think we need to start a class action suite against fork manufacturers.

Who's in?

I am sure the ACLU would jump at the chance.

lobster
01-02-2006, 12:55
What if you are left-handed?

Paywau
01-02-2006, 13:23
I am sure they would be even more willing to separate the cases by hand. More money they could get from the government, hence us.

In all fairness the ACLU was started with lofty goals, now it just siphons money from us every chance it gets.

kab21
01-02-2006, 15:10
My brother has a neighbor who parked his truck (he lives about 1 block away) in front of my brother's house and left it there for 15 days without moving it (it's still there) He parked it there because my brother's daughter shoveled the snow in that spot for her spot and then went to work.

We lived in an old house (converted to 4 apts) in college. After an 18" snowstorm, my roommate shoveled a parking spot and went to campus for 15 mins. When he got back, the couple in the apt below had parked in his shoveled spot. A couple of my roommates went out there and cleared the entire parking lot and buried the car in snow. We received the most hilarious apology in broken english (the couple was asian) and we had it posted in our apt forever. I wish I had scanned it or transcribed it to an electronic format. Ahh, such good memories.

AbeHikes
01-08-2006, 13:39
Read this and thought "your problem is with bad parenting, not guns". Then I kept reading and was glad to to see that I'm not the only one who thought that. There's still hope for us, apparently.

betic4lyf
01-08-2006, 17:07
whats this gospel of abby stuff?:-?

Just Jeff
01-08-2006, 17:26
SMS is a religious zealot in disguise! :p

smokymtnsteve
01-08-2006, 18:05
whats this gospel of abby stuff?:-?

quotes from my Guru Edward Abbey..

Abbey was a writer

some of his works

Desert Solitare

Monkey wrench gang

black sun

down the river

read some Abbey books...become a disciple:clap

khaynie
01-08-2006, 20:19
Isn't this site intended for AT related topics? Who cares?

justusryans
01-08-2006, 20:47
read the law of abbey!

tiamalle
01-08-2006, 20:50
Isn't this site intended for AT related topics? Who cares?Drunks threaten someones life daily,doctors threaten our life every day with a perscriptions,the immagrations doing nothing to keep aliens out
of our countries and the judges turns lots of criminals loose.Let's us all take
a hike.:bse

smokymtnsteve
01-08-2006, 22:07
read the law of abbey!

"Government: If you refuse to pay unjust taxes, your property will be confiscated. If you attempt to defend your property, you will be arrested. If you resist arrest, you will be clubbed. If you defend yourself against clubbing, you will be shot dead. These procedures are known as the Rule of Law."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Lone Wolf
01-08-2006, 22:27
smokeymtnsteve loves Ed Abbey like born again Xtians love Jesus. Star-stuck and ill- informed. Jesus and Ed were both drunks.

smokymtnsteve
01-08-2006, 22:34
smokeymtnsteve loves Ed Abbey like born again Xtians love Jesus. Star-stuck and ill- informed. Jesus and Ed were both drunks.

"I want to buy a beer for every man in the house. If any."

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

Nightwalker
01-08-2006, 23:27
Jesus and Ed were both drunks.
Where'd you get that int'restin' little jewel?

Lone Wolf
01-08-2006, 23:28
I know lotsa stuff.:)

smokymtnsteve
01-09-2006, 00:43
Where'd you get that int'restin' little jewel?

didn't Jesus know how ta make wine???

Patrick
01-09-2006, 01:28
Make wine? You could say it was in his blood.

When the rugged detective gets killed trying to protect the pretty girl and the killer is coming at her with the knife, everyone in the theater is yelling, "Grab the gun!" It's almost like it gives her a fair chance to protect herself against someone trying to hurt her...

"Build a man a fire and you'll keep him warm for an hour.

Patrick
01-09-2006, 01:28
Whoops...

"...set him on fire and he'll be warm for the rest of his life."

smokymtnsteve
01-09-2006, 01:38

"Fire lookout, 1400 hours, ferocious lightning storm. Me and God. That ****er is trying to get me again, God damn him. But I got me old .357"

THANKS BE TO ABBEY!

blindeye
01-09-2006, 08:28
although i don't own any guns now, i have now i am legally blind so i figured it was time to give up the weapons.
the point i want to make is this a gun is a tool, to be used responsibly like any other tool.
the minute you misuse ANY tool you run the risk of hurting yourself or someone else.
if the parents of this kid don.t want to deal with it call the cops

Ender
01-09-2006, 09:22
Why does this have to happen to me?... Anyway, i vented my anger here a bit and i'll be interested to see what some of you would've done in this situation.

I have no problem with guns at all, but in this situation you should have called the police immediatly.

icemanat95
01-09-2006, 09:38
I have no problem with guns at all, but in this situation you should have called the police immediatly.

I'm not sure I don't agree with Fiddlehead on this one, at least so far as trying to see if the kids parents'll take care of this. Kids do stupid stuff, especially kids without sufficient parental input. The kids are probably not "bad" per se, just uncontrolled and undisciplined. An attempt short of legal intervention, to get them straightened out, may be all it takes to bring them under control.

Having them arrested and put through the juvenile court system may shock them straight, but it'll also put a permanent black mark on their records (and don't fool yourself, sealed juvenile records are not truly sealed).

Now if the parents do nothing and no one makes meaningful restitution, or if you see the kids doing this sort of thing again...call the cops right away and to hell with them.

rickb
01-09-2006, 12:10
I'm not sure I don't agree with Fiddlehead on this one

Yea, but if an unknown person hits your car with a bullet, are you going to spend the next 5 minutes looking to find who shot you?

Ender
01-09-2006, 16:04
[QUOTE=icemanat95]I'm not sure I don't agree with Fiddlehead on this one...QUOTE]

Fair enough, though I'd posit that it would, for me at least, depend on what they shot the window out with. If it was a pellet gun, then yeah, parents first, then police. If it was an actual rifle, then police first.

Also, if the kids are so undicaplined (there is no way I spelled that one right)as to be doing such acts, my guess is that the parents won't properly deal with them after confronted. Of course, even the good kids do dumb things, and they don't yet have the capacity to understand what they are doing, so some consideration should be given to that.

Still though, getting shot at is no trivial matter, and should be dealt with harshly. Good kid or no, it was a horrible act, and should be corrected immediatly, especially if it was a true firearm.

that's just me though. YMMV

the goat
01-09-2006, 17:13
next time, shoot back.

vipahman
01-09-2006, 17:31
Fiddlehead seems to be a very genuinely nice and caring person. Having been shot at, his first consideration is still the consequence of calling the cops on the kid(s). That shows he is a man of character. :clap

lobster
01-09-2006, 18:10
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" width="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">

Your just "enabling" when you let things slide like that.
</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

tiamalle
01-09-2006, 18:39
<TABLE id=HB_Mail_Container height="100%" cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0 UNSELECTABLE="on"><TBODY><TR height="100%" UNSELECTABLE="on" width="100%"><TD id=HB_Focus_Element vAlign=top width="100%" background="" height=250 UNSELECTABLE="off">

Your just "enabling" when you let things slide like that.

Lobster do you
know what Borrego means in Spanish?ah ah ah ah ah:D

</TD></TR><TR UNSELECTABLE="on" hb_tag="1"><TD style="FONT-SIZE: 1pt" height=1 UNSELECTABLE="on">

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

blaire576
06-26-2006, 23:01
Why does this have to happen to me?
I hate guns, i come from a family where 3 out of 4 of my brothers hunt everything they can. 2 of them collect guns, this is their life! Anyway...
Yesterday i was driving down to visit a friend and a block from his house, (in a small town) i heard a loud crack in my car and turned around to see my rear side window (station wagon) blown out. I stopped and looked and saw a bullet hole in the window exactly at head heighth. I stopped, looked around and after 5 minutes of searching, found some kids hiding behind a garage.
2 of them ran but one came forward and apologized. claimed he was shooting at a squirrel in a tree. I didn't believe him but at least he came forward when his buddies ran. i got his info, called his parents that night (he was 14) and his Mom tried to brush me off saying she had to go to sleep (it was 6:30 PM) and they had big dogs and i shouldn't come down.
I told her i could just as easily go to the police so finally she relented. i came down and they chewed the kid out in front of me and told me they smashed the gun. they are going to pay for the window. (they said so anyway)
i rarely get afraid but i must say my blood was pumping in this situation. I've never been shot at before and it was wierd. So i'm thinking: Why me? i don't like guns, i don't think kids should be allowed to have them. I don't think anyone that is not responsible should be allowed to have them. why didn't charlton Heston have this happen to him ? He'd probably have a perfectly good reason for that kid to be shooting innocent folks.
I guess some will say i should've called the cops but i think it's the parents fault and putting the kid in some reformed school is not the answer. Anyway, i vented my anger here a bit and i'll be interested to see what some of you would've done in this situation.

u may check http://www.unlimited-backgroundcheck to check if your friend has a gun, my friend used it before to track down

bfitz
06-26-2006, 23:55
Guns don't kill people, ammunition kills people.

You did the right thing by going to the parents...whether they did is up for debate, but that kid knows you could have been a huge bastard about it and possibly ruined his summer at the very least. That you chose not to will leave an impression on him. Mabye he'll learn the lesson about guns, mabye not, but you gave him the opportunity to learn several things about resolving issues, and as you said, he stepped forward when his buddies ran, so mabye you reinforced that kind of accountability....Well done!

Police should be called as a last resort in any situation, because once called, you can't get rid of 'em.

mweinstone
06-27-2006, 17:16
and soup is made primaraly of soup.

cannonball
06-27-2006, 17:33
My guns are not as dangerous as Ted kennedy's car.

Ridge
06-27-2006, 17:35
My guns are not as dangerous as Ted kennedy's car.

Ted's car has killed more people than all my guns put together.

Lone Wolf
06-27-2006, 19:03
Forks make Michael Moore fat.

oldfivetango
06-27-2006, 19:21

L Wolf,
This Jesus was a drunk theroy is a new one for me.Can you prove it?
Yeah,I know he turned the water into wine for the wedding but that aint
proof he was a drunk or even drank any.
Thanks,
Oldfivetango

Lone Wolf
06-27-2006, 19:35
Iwas wrong. He's a tweeker.:eek:

Ridge
06-27-2006, 23:37
What happens when you mix a hiker with unleashed dogs and a pissed-off teacher with a gun?

http://www.azcentral.com/rsslinks/165469

TOW
06-28-2006, 08:58
What happens when you mix a hiker with unleashed dogs and a pissed-off teacher with a gun?

http://www.azcentral.com/rsslinks/165469what a bunch of crap! the guys getting attacked by two dogs and the owner of the dogs and in a split second decision he kills the owner with a gun and then gets ten years for defending himself? what a bunch of horse phooey.....

bfitz
06-28-2006, 22:47
I would have killed the dogs, and just kneecapped the owner....

Dances with Mice
06-28-2006, 23:06
One less guy with unleashed dogs then one less idiot with a gun walking on the trails.

Heater
06-28-2006, 23:41
One less guy with unleashed dogs then one less idiot with a gun walking on the trails.

Win win situation, huh?. :)

MedicineMan
06-29-2006, 05:47
do a phylogenetic study of the progression of gun laws in 34 countries from 1776 to the present and you will find a commonality called genocide. What almost happened to Fiddlehead would have been a tragedy, something preventable. What happened in Cambodia, in the Gulaq, in Bosnia, in Nazi Germany, in Iraq, in several s.American countries, was simply the aggrandization of gun control laws that ultimately resulted in the slaugter of millions upon millions who could not resist tyranny. Nobody wants mass graves by tyranical governments but the cost is the inevitable tragedy that almost claimed Fiddlehead (thank God that didnt happen) but claims hundreds each year.....so what's your choice several hundred dead by accidents and random rage or millions in a gas chamber or frozen tundra?
Its that 'history repeats itself thing' and many believe it could never happen here....ever heard of Waco? Ruby Ridge?
There are a lot of very intelligent posters here at WB, far more intelligent than I but there were intelligent posters in America's past...the Founding Fathers, do any of you believe they stood behind the Second Amendment so Fiddleheads brothers could hunt deer?

ocourse
06-29-2006, 09:12
Well done, MedicineMan!

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 14:47
do a phylogenetic study of the progression of gun laws in 34 countries from 1776 to the present and you will find a commonality called genocide. ...

Oh? Canada has genocide? Norway has genocide? Costa Rica has genocide?

Well, you pretty well struck out, but you were right about one thing... you wasted our time. You might as well say each of your countries suffer from lightning strikes. The causal relationship is about as valid.

On the other hand, if you want to really look at RELEVANT common factors in those few false examples you tried to use, I think you'll see that a conservative, repressive, self-righteous, mean government (a la Bush's America) is a far more common and valid factor than "gun control" in nations that suffered genocide.

Where in the Second Amendment is the citizen or any person guaranteed the right to bear arms? You won't find it there.

The PEOPLE have the right to maintain an armed MILITIA. We call it "the National Guard" in each of the fifty States. And that is what the Second Amendment says. Of course, you might find some "activist judges" to "legislate from the bench" and say something else.

Rain:sunMan

Singe03
06-29-2006, 15:45
If you want to discuss the "success" of firearm restrictions in Canada, I'd suggest you read this article first

http://www.michnews.com/cgi-bin/artman/exec/view.cgi/245/11403

The PEOPLE have the right to maintain an armed MILITIA. We call it "the National Guard" in each of the fifty States. And that is what the Second Amendment says. Of course, you might find some "activist judges" to "legislate from the bench" and say something else.

The Supreme Court pretty well defined the militia in The United States v. Miller in 1939 when it said:

The signification attributed to the term Militia appears from the debates in the Convention, the history and legislation of Colonies and States, and the writings of approved commentators. These show plainly enough that the Militia comprised all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense. 'A body of citizens enrolled for military discipline.' And further, that ordinarily when called for service these men were expected to appear bearing arms supplied by themselves and of the kind in common use at the time."

So the militia is all males physically capable of acting in concert for the common defense, I think enough has changed in the world that this could read "all persons physically capible of..." to remain inclusive.

"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the
right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."</pre>

Think about this, the second ammendment is in the Bill of Rights, a very early addendum to the Constitution that was placed there by demand of many parties to clarify the rights of the citizens and / or place limits on governmental power. It does not say "a militia regulated by Congress" and regulation of the militia is not a specific power granted to the federal government in the main body of the Constitution, in fact it is not mentioned at all. Finally, the specific wording, "the right of the people to keep and bear...", points out in no uncertain terms that this right was not restricted to those in the military or guard, instead it was a right granted to everyone. The only logical conclusion is that the militia was intended to be seperate from the military forces controlled by the government, the national guard certainly does not fit this definition.

Tony0612
06-29-2006, 19:42
What you experience when your heart is racing is the "fight or flight response dreived from ancient man" and it should rattle you a little. As for the kid, well, you show a little more reserve than I would have. At least file a report, that way if Mom and Dad try to stiff you, you can take them to court.

Rain Man
06-29-2006, 20:07
The only logical conclusion is that the militia was intended to be seperate from the military forces controlled by the government, the national guard certainly does not fit this definition.

WRONG. Where the Framers wished to grant (reserve) rights to individuals, they said "citizens" or "persons." Here, they chose not to do so. Nor did they say militias-not-controlled-by-government, though perhaps they meant not controlled by central, all-powerful, royalty (like Bush?), but by each fiercely independent State. So, to use your logic, the only logical conclusion is that they meant for individual citizens/persons not to have said rights. At least, not guaranteed by the Constitution.

Emsadida
06-29-2006, 20:28
WRONG. Where the Framers wished to grant (reserve) rights to individuals, they said "citizens" or "persons." Here, they chose not to do so. Nor did they say militias-not-controlled-by-government, though perhaps they meant not controlled by central, all-powerful, royalty (like Bush?), but by each fiercely independent State. So, to use your logic, the only logical conclusion is that they meant for individual citizens/persons not to have said rights. At least, not guaranteed by the Constitution.

. <o></o>
It's funny you talk about the framers' wishes. Weren't the framers just finishing up with the British who tried to disarm the colonists? It would seem that they would know a whole lot better then most of us the consequences of civil disarmament and what that allowed the opposing government to do. Why would they say that only a militia, be it state controlled or government controlled, be the only ones allowed to have firearms? It seems counter-productive to the previous stance and previous plight.<o></o><o></o><o>
</o>

Lone Wolf
06-29-2006, 20:54
It don't matter what's said as far as amendments. I'm packin and ***n whacked. Let's party!:eek: :banana Shootin sht rocks!

Singe03
06-29-2006, 21:01

I'm going to have to disagree with you, in fact I am not really sure where you get that.

The only places I can find the word "citizens" in the Constitution on a quick search using Firefox are in places where it uses the word to establish differing groups of people by state or place of residence in Articles 3 and 4. IE: "The Citizens of each State shall be entitled to all Privileges and Immunities of Citizens in the several States." in Article 4. In no place can I see the entire population of the United States referred to by that word. I did not go down all of the ammendments, I only looked at the Constitution itself and the Bill of Rights, which are all that are in question here.

I think you are partially correct in that the framers used the word person or persons to refer to individual or groups of specified individuals, which is fine but irrelevent to this arguement. The rights granted in the Bill of Rights are granted collectively to "The People", the reference appears in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, 9th and 10th ammendments.

Is it your contention that the right to be secure in your person, house or papers is not an individual right? Let us look at a case where both words are used in the same sentence.

The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

Lets look at another citation real quick.

The powers not delegated to the United States by the Constitution, nor prohibited by it to the States, are reserved to the States respectively, or to the people.

The 10th Ammendment, who are "the people" here? Obviously not the Federal or State government, they are a seperate catagory. Do you argue that the phrase refers to anything other than each individual in the United States? Why would "the people" in the 10th ammendment mean anything different from "the people" in the 1st, 2nd, 4th, and 9th?

wilderness bob
06-29-2006, 21:48
The parents got off cheap, one windshield instead of legal fees, time in jail and a law suite to boot. They should have been held accountable for their kid's actions. What if the bullet went through your son's head as he sat up from a nap or something. It could happen next time. I have nothing against guns, I own and operate them quite efficiently. In fact blaming a gun for stupid human behavior is like blaming a pencil for the mistakes in your spelling. The law, charges pressed and punishment handed out by a Judge can and will make the parents accountable for their children's actions IMO.

fiddlehead
06-29-2006, 22:22
I haven't been on this thread for a long long time and just read back a few pages and want to thank those who stood up for what i thought was the right thing to do in the situation. (agreed with me more or less)
I haven't been back home since the incident that happened around Jan 4 or something. I do intend to go see the family in question when i return to the states in mid-september to find out what has been done for this child to develop a respect of killing machines.
I also want to say that after 6 months of contemplating this situation, i would do the same thing again in the same circumstances. Yes the first 3 minutes after the shot were scary, i hid behind my car on the other side for the 1st minute and heard nothing. Then i ran around the next house, out of sight of the place where the bullet most likely came from, as a friend of mine owned that next house and i sneaked around the back where i saw some movement of 3 kids hiding behind their garage. I yelled something and they stood up and 2 ran, and the one who shot came forward. If they all would've ran, i probably would've called the cops as much as i don't necessarily believe that that would've been the correct answer to the problem.
But since the kid came forward, apologizing intensly. This was the most important factor in my deciding to go thru his parents rather than the law. (it made me think already that he probably had some decent upbringing)
Anyway, every situation is going to be different. I just hope i'm never shot at again. Like i said before, i don't like guns, i don't hunt, shoot sick dogs, or even target practice as it's all about killing and i'm more of a lover than a fighter. I won't get political but i could of course and have in the past on whiteblaze. Anyway, i'm ramblin now so i'll again say thanks to those who believe i did the right thing. (oh, by the way, it turned out to be a pellet gun although at the time i thought it was much heavier as it shot out my entire window, not unlike in the movies)

bfitz
06-29-2006, 22:43
It don't matter what's said as far as amendments. I'm packin and ***n whacked. Let's party!:eek: :banana Shootin sht rocks!
Yeah...who wants a legal gun w/ all that paperwork anyway? Too traceable...

blaire576
10-14-2006, 04:04
yes i believe so, they're more strict than years before, it was my desire to have one automatic AK47 so obsessed with it and im amazed it could cope up with dust, water, etc.

I have been raised around guns all my life (my dad is a firearms instructor for a Fed. agency) When taught properly (and I emphasize properly!) Kids wont do things like that... My dad showed me and taught me how to use everything he brought home. Eventually it became "now what, dad...?" I didnt really care much for what he had.

I did a 12 year career (retired last year) in law enforcement. And yes, I have been shot. It has never change my feeling on gun ownership. I do wish, however, that there was a more stringent background check AND training was mandatory!!

I am truly sorry for what happened to you, Fiddlehead, it should never have happened. If its not too late, please, call law enforcement, otherwise it may happen again. Not sure the kids will become full-fledged criminals, but this kind of behavior cannot be tolerated, and may as well put a stop to it while you can!

Hike on!!

atraildreamer
10-14-2006, 06:27
i heard a loud crack in my car and turned around to see my rear side window (station wagon) blown out. I stopped and looked and saw a bullet hole in the window exactly at head height. I stopped, looked around...

Your window was shot out and you stopped! :eek:

You should have took off to the police station and let the cops check it out, or else change your trail name to "Deathwish".

uscgretired
10-14-2006, 07:34
Is Fiddlehead a troll? What has this subject got to do with backbacking? Am I missing something here?