PDA

View Full Version : Baxter park, shelters?

brother brzo
05-17-2016, 21:14
Explaining on attempting a south bound thru hike sometime around June twentieth. Was curious weather I would have to make reservations at a campsite near mount katahdin or is there a shelter within a reasonable hiking distance. I only realized I had an opportunity to thru hike in the past two weeks, so might not be in as good of physical shape as I would have hoped by the time I start, this meaning a slower hiking time to where I plan on sleeping

egilbe
05-17-2016, 21:21
If you are going SoBo, plan on two nights in the Park. Make your reservations NOW!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118015-2016-Baxter-State-Park-and-Katahdin-info-for-southbounders

brother brzo
05-17-2016, 22:00
Thanks
Also, to any who might know
Are there any trail shelters in the park, if there are, would I have to still make a reservation? How much would it cost?
Would it be possible to hike to the park boundary and camp along the trail just outside of the park

MuddyWaters
05-17-2016, 22:53
There is mucho info on the baxter state park website for hikers. Its a great place to start to get informed about what it takes.

Heres the basic

No shelter for you on trail

Night before you need a campground reservation at katahdin stream campground , or in town at AT lodge with shuttle next morning.

Night of first day, you need another campground reservation at katahdin stream, you likely cant make it out of park in one day

Ksc reservation fill up early, months in advance

DavidNH
05-17-2016, 23:31
there are some shelters in the park but you do have to make a reservation and you do have to pay. You should contact park headquarters yesterday.

Once out of the park south bound you have to hike about 10 miles to Abol Bridge where there is a campground. There is no camping permitted north of Abol Bridge and south of the BSP campgrounds (for which you need reservations). Oh... and don't even THINK about stealth camping in the park. That would not turn out well for you.

egilbe
05-18-2016, 05:52
Probably have a better chance for a reservation between Tuesday and Thursday, if there is still openings. Weekend dates fill up fast.

chiefduffy
05-18-2016, 07:01
PM me or call me at the AT Lodge if I can help in any way.