PDA

View Full Version : Next 100 at 74 ...

BobbyNoel
05-18-2016, 16:15
Need a recommendation for my next 100 mile section, just turned 74. Best choice, 100 miles northbound from Harriman State Park or 100 north from Hot Springs. Going off mid June? Your folks have always been great; advice?

Malto
05-18-2016, 16:38
Better - Hot Springs.
Easier - Harriman
Less People -Harriman

bigcranky
05-18-2016, 16:58
Cooler weather - Harriman.
Better views - Hot Springs.

Mr. Bumpy
05-18-2016, 17:02
Better - Hot Springs.
Easier - Harriman
Less People -Harriman

I can't speak for Harriman area, but Hot Springs to Erwin in the summer can get pretty quiet, especially during weekdays. That section is as demanding as it comes in the south with a lot of ups and downs, but there is a lot of ridge line hiking and nice open spots. There are several road crossings but little support between Hot Springs and Erwin, so you have to have your food for that entire pull.

BobbyNoel
05-19-2016, 09:34
Thank you, very helpful.

Gambit McCrae
05-19-2016, 09:37
I can't speak for Harriman area, but Hot Springs to Erwin in the summer can get pretty quiet, especially during weekdays. That section is as demanding as it comes in the south with a lot of ups and downs, but there is a lot of ridge line hiking and nice open spots. There are several road crossings but little support between Hot Springs and Erwin, so you have to have your food for that entire pull.

Spot on, no good resupply in this segment, but great views.

Cant speak for Harriman but I would vote for the cooler weather up yonder

Berserker
05-20-2016, 12:07
Need a recommendation for my next 100 mile section, just turned 74. Best choice, 100 miles northbound from Harriman State Park or 100 north from Hot Springs. Going off mid June? Your folks have always been great; advice?
I've done both pieces and they are both cool in their own ways. The NC piece will be higher elevation, likely cooler, more solitude, less buggy and a little more challenging on the re-supply. The NY piece is lower elevation, probably gonna be hotter (despite what others have said), less solitude, potentially super buggy and easier on the re-supply.

So it depends on what you are looking for. In NC you'll get some nice views and have some big climbs and descents. The trail is graded nicely most of the way though so most of those climbs and descents aren't bad. In general, I don't find NC to be to buggy any time of the year (and I've hiked a lot in NC in all seasons) as you are up at higher altitude with not a whole heck of a lot of water around. You'll probably see less people in general on that section.

In NY you'll be lower in elevation, and if it gets hot, it usually gets stinking hot. The bugs I ran into there (probably around the same time you are going) are the worst I've encountered on the trail thus far. A good portion of the area that the AT traverses through is marshy, so there are tons of mosquitoes, black flies, deer flies and other annoying critters. The trail crosses many major roads, and there a lots of good points to re-supply as well as stop of for a sandwich. There's also interesting scenery as Harriman is a fairly unique looking place, and there are views from various peaks and ridges that you'll cross. The climbs and descents while much shorter than NC are generally harder as they are not graded as well, so keep that in mind...they'll beat you up over a several day period. Lots of people seem to use the AT here, but then the AT goes through some fairly populous areas.

Oh yeah, and you probably already know this, but make sure to consider the source of advice you are getting. A lot of times thru hikers will come in and talk about how easy stuff further up North is, and this isn't the case for us lowly section hikers. Those guys are well oiled machines by then, but those of us who can't thru usually are hitting the trail in...what should I call it..."less than thru hiker" condition.