PDA

View Full Version : PA Ruck January 27-29 2006-Welcome ALL!

StarLyte
12-31-2005, 16:25
Thoughts keep appearing in my restless head about the PA Ruck, so let's get the food ideas going. Many have emailed me so it's time.

Here's the awesome website Spur constructed. Make sure you when you go to this page you notice the cool avatar at the beginning of the url:
http://www.artofthetrail.com/paruck.html

January 27 2006:
Friday night dinner (around 6:00 p.m.): We're going back to good old pasta night. Mexican was great last year, but the food assembly took too long. Sauces, pastas, meats, breads, salad items are welcome.

Saturday morning breakfast is on-your-own. Last year, David Jones, Grey Owl and myself cooked up a feast for hungry risers. Bring anything, cook anything you'd like. The old Vulcan stove is operative this year, well the top burners are at least ;)

Saturday lunch benefit:
Last year, the soup and chilies were plentiful and lots of luncheon meats, cheeses and breads were donated. Any kind of ready-to-reheat soup or chili is welcome!!

Saturday night Pot Luck RUCKFEAST. Everyone brings something to share and we eat good. For those who cannot cook there are other things you can bring to pitch in.
Sunday morning breakfast is on your own.

Please remember-there is only ONE oven-ONE stove. There is only ONE rack in the oven. Any long-baking items should be cooked ahead of time. There are 2 refridgerators.

The hostel has some utensils, pots, etc., but not quite enough as needed, especially at the RUCKFeast. If you have disposable utensils, or bring yours from home-labeled, that would be helpful. Bring your crock pot should you need to keep your food warm. If you bring any electric cooking unit. bring an extension cord and label it.

As for the number of hikers, there isn't a count yet, but I will assume, it will be on the average of 100. That doesn't mean you have to bring a dish for that many people, only bring what you can handle.

Here is a list of things that were brought last year:

Hams, meatloaf, chickens, bbq meats
Vegetarian (bean) patties
Vegetarian pizza
cassaroles
sausages pasta dishes
baked beans
beef stew
beef stroganoff
taboule-hummus
Salads-green, fruit, potato, pasta
pies, cakes, cookies, any type desserts
donuts & muffins tomato pies
pizza
2 large cans of good coffee, 2 large cans of decaf
creamers/half-n-half
sugar
teas
waters
Breads, rolls
butter, oleos
napkins
HEAVY DUTY paper plates-no foam
eating utensils
foils, plastic wrap
large garbage bags

soups & chilies for Saturday lunch benefit

Pasta, sauces, meats & ideas for Friday dinner

I'm bringing a 60 cup electric percolater.

I'd like to say that many brought in creative dishes and the were appreciated by all!

The slide show will start directly after dinner so it's real important that folks help clean up in the kitchen so we can all enjoy that.
We'll post a food list several times prior to the PA Ruck. This message will also be posted to: AT-L, WomenHikers, and AT-Hikers lists.

Your ideas can be posted on the at-l or email me. All messages will be acknowledged. [email protected]
"StarLyte"
Marsha
:welcome

Panzer1
12-31-2005, 17:56
Last year I brought a crock pot with about 10 pounds of mashed potatoes. Plus a container of gravy. As I recall, it quickly disappeared. I bring the same again this year.

Who is the kitchen nazi this year?

Panzer

StarLyte
12-31-2005, 19:02
Panzer-I certainly remember that well, and here is a nice picture of you from last year's PA Ruck: http://gallery.backcountry.net/2005-Paruck/acp
See you soon-:banana
Marsha

Panzer1
12-31-2005, 19:12
Thanks Marsha,

I hope you don't mind I "Saved" your picture. I have very few pictures of myself.

I thought you were in charge of the kitchen last year. Are you in charge this year again?

Panzer

Sly
12-31-2005, 19:31
Panzer mashed potatoes? kitchen Nazi? what's the PaRuck come to? :)

StarLyte
12-31-2005, 19:37
And remember Sly......what happens at the Rucks stay at the Rucks. ha ha ha

Panzer, there's another photo of you in Shelly's portfolio but she put ya in sideways. I'm sure you can straighten yourself out though :bse

Yep-I'm the kitchen nazi again and I love it. My reward is watching hikers eat.

Marsha

Sly
12-31-2005, 20:07
Hey Marsha,

I still hope to make it up this year. Tomorrow I'll make sure to put in for the weekend off.

Sly
12-31-2005, 20:19
Hey yeah go...

Panzer1
12-31-2005, 21:03
You'll have to get a better picture next time. At least one with me smiling at the camera..

I'll be sure to pose next time.

Panzer

Panzer1
01-10-2006, 20:29
We are going to need some wood for the camp fire. If you have the space in your vehicle, it would be nice for all those who are going to be attending the campfire to bring some firewood. Even if you only bring one or two pieces, it will add up. I will bring what I can.

See you there.

Panzer

StarLyte
01-10-2006, 22:28
I'm bringing some wood, some good starter stuff and cardboard. Here's a picture of the wood that Gary Roberts brought last year: http://gallery.backcountry.net/album54/aca
I still don't think this was enough, it's usually zero degrees at night there during the PA Ruck. I don't stay at the campground because it's TOO cold!!
There's a few other campfire shots from previous PA Rucks but you'll have to find them in the same album or I can send them to you offlist. See you there!

Panzer1
01-12-2006, 00:51
Thanks to Gary we had a real good campfire last year. Unfortunately, he has said that he cannot bring as much wood this year, hence the All-Points-Bulletin for everyone who wants to attend this years campfire to bring some firewood, if they have space to do so.

Panzer