PDA

View Full Version : crampons or microspikes?

jefals
05-18-2016, 17:29
I was looking into this, and it says microspikes for flat terrain, crampons for steeper climbimg. Of course, when you're out there, there will be plenty of level areas a b d plenty of climbing also. So, what's the answer?

Connie
05-18-2016, 17:43
There are choices of a number of different microspikes.

Crampons are longer and, well, different. They require a different method of walking, especially for turns for "switchbacks". Usually used roped and with an ice axe, and knowledge to use an ice axe, crampons inflict injury if self arrest is necessary and you do not do it properly.

I would look at different models of microspikes.

Find out what others say..

Sarcasm the elf
05-18-2016, 18:05
Katoola Microspikes a my go-to piece of gear in my winter pack. They are extremely effective in moderate conditions and easy to use.

As Connie mentioned, true crampons are a more technical piece of gear. There are only a few places on the A.T. where they are necessary (parts of NH come to mind) and they do require a degree of training in order to use them correctly. Also as she said, if you find yourself in a place where you think true crampons are needed the you should strongly consider having a mountaineering axe with you as well.

Malto
05-18-2016, 18:08
I was looking into this, and it says microspikes for flat terrain, crampons for steeper climbimg. Of course, when you're out there, there will be plenty of level areas a b d plenty of climbing also. So, what's the answer?

I have both and for normal "hiking" or snowshoeing without snowshoes in the Sierra, I always go with microspikes.

jefals
05-18-2016, 18:20
I have both and for normal "hiking" or snowshoeing without snowshoes in the Sierra, I always go with microspikes.
Snowshoeing without snowshoes? Hmm. Well, that's another thread!
But thanks for the responses, guys. Looks like it's going to be microspikes!

egilbe
05-18-2016, 19:18
I use Hillsound Trail crampons. Not a true crampon, but better than Microspikes, more aggressive. Although, I've heard, but yet to see, that Kathoola copied Hillsounds design to make a more aggressive spike.

nsherry61
05-18-2016, 20:17
I use Hillsound Trail crampons. Not a true crampon, but better than Microspikes, more aggressive. Although, I've heard, but yet to see, that Kathoola copied Hillsounds design to make a more aggressive spike.
I hike regularly with a guy that likes his Hilsounds better than his older Katulas. I hike with current model Katulas. I do crazier crap than he does because I'm willing to. He will go to crampons (which also require heavier and stiffer foot wear) and I will stay using my microspikes because they work fine for me and I like keeping my foot gear lighter. The difference between the two brands is very small with some minor advantages to each. The real difference is more person's head attached to the footwear than it is the footwear itself.

And, FWIT: Katula did't copy Hilsound. The designs of their spikes have not changed, just the length. My Katula spikes are the same length or slightly longer (depending on which teeth you are comparing because Hilsound teeth are not all the same length) than my budies Hildsounds. Apparently, the older Katulas had shorter teeth than the current ones. The Hilsound teeth are part of larger "plates" than the Katulas, so in theory, the Hilsounds are more stable. I haven't seen any notable difference. Also, apparently the Katulas stay on your feet a bit better than the Hilsounds, but getting the right size is more important than the difference between the brands.

jefals
05-18-2016, 20:33
I'm thinking of a hike in the Sierras, from 7,000' to 11,000'. But I'm going to wait till mid-July, because I'm hoping the snow will be gone. But I want the footwear I need, just in case. Sounds like the Katulas will do the job...if I see a LOT of snow, I'll probably bail and come back in August anyway!

Venchka
05-18-2016, 22:55
You go Jeff. The shoulder must be ok. I'm having a hard time picturing needing spikes in July. I'm jealous!

Wayne

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

jefals
05-19-2016, 01:52
You go Jeff. The shoulder must be ok. I'm having a hard time picturing needing spikes in July. I'm jealous!

Wayne

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
Thanks Wayne ..
I hope I won't need those spikes, but you know me. I'm the guy that takes 6 liters of water on a hike around a lake! ☺

Hikingjim
05-19-2016, 08:46
I have found kahtoola microspikes to be outstanding for fairly steep normal trail climbs on pure ice or packed snow. If I was anywhere I needed crampons, I would probably be in over my head. So snow shoes, microspikes, or turning back are usually my winter condition options.

rafe
05-19-2016, 08:48
Winter peakbagging in the White Mountains, I usually have all three -- snowshoes, Hillsounds, and microspikes. Occasionally the snowshoes get left in the car. I may not need any of them, but I always make sure I'm covered.

If it's a very well traveled trail such that the trail is sure to be packed by prior traffic -- that's one situation, for example, where the snowshoes stay in the car. Or late season (like, now,) where there may be ice, but no snow.

On two recent weekends, we managed to summit using just microspikes, but switched to Hillsounds for the descent. Partly because descent on ice is far more risky than ascent. Partly because the ice gets more slick as the the day warms up.

For normal three-season AT hiking, I don't use any of this stuff.

rafe
05-19-2016, 09:21
I might add: there are conditions when even snowshoes aren't much help. Rotten snow, late season, you may well find yourself postholing even with snowshoes. Steep ascents are a lot of work, in snowshoes, especially in deep unpacked snow.

jefals
05-19-2016, 14:53
how about patchy areas, where there's 50 feet of ice/snow, then it's clear for a while then a little more ice/snow...
is it okay to keep the spikes on? does it make it harder to walk in the clear areas?

Sarcasm the elf
05-19-2016, 15:18
how about patchy areas, where there's 50 feet of ice/snow, then it's clear for a while then a little more ice/snow...
is it okay to keep the spikes on? does it make it harder to walk in the clear areas?

You generally don't want to walk on clear trail while wearing any type of traction device since it tears up the trail and wears out the metal of the traction device quickly. That said, of the options discussed the Katoola microspikes are the most forgiving when it comes to walking on bare trail. I wouldn't want to wear them if the ground was mostly bare, but if I am traveling on a section that is mostly covered in snow/ice with very small sections of clear trail in between i will keep them on.

rafe
05-19-2016, 15:46

Always a tough call when to take them off or put them on. There will always be stretches of trail like that.

jefals
05-19-2016, 15:58
thanks, Rafe and Sarcasm...
just thinkin, you probably also run into times when you find yourself climbing a narrow ridge, nowhere to sit down, and you see snow or ice ahead. So, very difficult, if not impossible to get those spikes on...

rafe
05-19-2016, 16:19
Winter before last (the snowy winter) my partner and I headed up Cannon Mountain. We made it about halfway up with microspikes, then started hitting the steep stuff, up past Lonesome Lake Hut, where my spikes wouldn't hold me any more. Trouble was, there was no level place to sit and do the changeover to Hillsounds, and I was wearing a slick outer layer, such that if I sat down, I'd just start sliding down the hill. Long story short, that was as far up the mountain as I got that day. I had to retreat so far down that I just lost heart about going back up. But I should add -- traction wasn't the only issue that day, it was very cold and my gear wasn't keeping me warm enough. Another reason I didn't feel like continuing uphill.

jefals
05-19-2016, 17:03
yeah, that doesn't sound fun. well, I slipped on some ice last November, on the first section of the PCT. Who would have thought there'd be ice there, that close to Mexico, after 5 years of a drought! But there was, and after I slipped, from then on whenever we hit some ice or snow, I walked very carefully and slow as molasses!
so, want to head up to the Sierras, and even tho it'll be mid July or maybe even August, I bet I still might run into some of that slippery stuff!

egilbe
05-19-2016, 17:26

It's better to leave them on, than risk sliding down the mountain trying to put them on. If the points wear down so much that you can't sharpen them with a file anymore, well, they make new crampons everyday. I got two seasons before I had to sharpen them this year, but there was so much ice on the trails, I just left them on. After 10 miles or so, they do get kind of tiring. When you are on icy trails, it's all part of the fun, deciding when to put them on or take them off.

jefals
05-19-2016, 20:22
It's better to leave them on, than risk sliding down the mountain trying to put them on. If the points wear down so much that you can't sharpen them with a file anymore, well, they make new crampons everyday. I got two seasons before I had to sharpen them this year, but there was so much ice on the trails, I just left them on. After 10 miles or so, they do get kind of tiring. When you are on icy trails, it's all part of the fun, deciding when to put them on or take them off.

Thanks. Someone mentioned that leaving them on could chew up the trail, and I wouldn't want to do that. Also, where I'll be, there's a lot of granite so if the granite is clear of snow and ice, I guess it might be tough walking on that with spikes.
So, I'm getting the message that I'll just have to use good judgment when I'm out there..

Sarcasm the elf
05-19-2016, 20:27
Thanks. Someone mentioned that leaving them on could chew up the trail, and I wouldn't want to do that. Also, where I'll be, there's a lot of granite so if the granite is clear of snow and ice, I guess it might be tough walking on that with spikes.
So, I'm getting the message that I'll just have to use good judgment when I'm out there..

Jefals, keep in mind that of my comments (and probably most of the comments here) were based on experiences on the A.T. and the East coast. If you are hiking in Sierras as you mentioned earlier I would recommend getting some feedback from people who have hiked in that area as well.

Connie
05-19-2016, 20:48
My experience is based on the Olympic Mountains, the North Cascades, Colorado, Montana, and three 14-ers mountainclimbing and hiking in the mountains. Never been on the AT.

I do know Colorado has snow and avalanche reports, that are worth getting updates.

jefals
05-19-2016, 22:52
Jefals, keep in mind that of my comments (and probably most of the comments here) were based on experiences on the A.T. and the East coast. If you are hiking in Sierras as you mentioned earlier I would recommend getting some feedback from people who have hiked in that area as well.
Yes, I do realize that. Thanks, Sarcasm!