PDA

View Full Version : Enlightened Equipment's Revelation ~ Alternatives

heather_
05-18-2016, 20:15
Hello lovelies! :sun
I've had my eye's set on Enlightened Equipment's Revelation quilt. The custom quilt i'm looking at is 800 down fill with a temperate rating of 20 fahrenheit. It runs for the price $250.00! I feel the price is fair for this fabulous quilt,
but it's a tight fit for my budget. Which leads me to the question, does anyone who know of a cheaper alternative to EE's Revelation?

~ Heather

sethd513
05-18-2016, 20:25
We love our 4 ee quilts. 2 revelations and 2 enigmas. Very happy with the quality price and customer service. The pad straps work great. We hang them in the closet and they loft like crazy.

The only downfall is the weight time. The only quilts I've found are within 10 or maybe 20$ cheaper but the only way to beat them in my opinion is fine something like new used. Also the ee ratings are en so that 20* will be more so 30* for you. We use xtherms with our 10 and 20* enigmas and sleep toasty.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SWODaddy
05-18-2016, 21:18
EE might be the best deal out there...new.

If you're handy with a sewing machine or know someone who is, I recall some people have had good luck buying cheaper quilts/sleeping bags from walmart and re-stuffing/overstuffing them with down.

SWODaddy
05-18-2016, 21:23
I'll add: We own two EE Revelation quilts and I have a Prodigy on order. They're incredible and a great buy at the price IMO.

MuddyWaters
05-18-2016, 21:53
Hammockgear.com

Ive got a couple if tims quilts
Bought the first when he was just a guy on bpl making quilts for members at good prices, no wait. Like youd have it in a couple days. He really got it going by used seconds of the UL fabrics which cut the cost a lot. Ul quilts for $200. Half the price of katabatic gear.

250 today would be the duck down quilt?

The prices arent that good no more
The customization is gone
The delivery time is deal breaker imo

Hammock gear is $100 less, and will do custom work, and much less wait.

Odd Man Out
05-19-2016, 00:34
Check underground quilts

Heather_VT
05-19-2016, 06:00
Hammockgear.com

I've also heard great things about Hammock Gear's quilts (cheaper, good quality). If that's out of your price range, the Kelty Cosmic Down 20 (http://www.rei.com/product/896029/kelty-cosmic-down-20-sleeping-bag-mens?cm_mmc=aff_AL-_-156994-_-195914-_-NA&avad=195914_cb4fd9eb&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.rei.com%2Fproduct%2F896029%2 Fkelty-cosmic-down-20-sleeping-bag-mens%3Fcm_mmc%3Daff_AL-_-156994-_-195914-_-NA%26avad%3D195914_cb4fd9eb&avad=195914_cb4fd9eb) is a great budget bag. I would also like to say that your sleeping bag is one of the items worth splurging on (it's worth it to pay a but extra for something warm, light, and well-made enough to last a long time).

left52side
05-19-2016, 07:58
Beware last night a pack was stolen while 3 of us was sleeping on the porch of the church hostel in Perisburg Va. This has been happening a lot here from what I have heard. Please share this to all the hiking groups.

Hello there.
I really do not think you will find another quality quilt out there for a cheaper price.
I would honestly suggest EE,hammock gear,or if you cannot wait you can go with A jacks are better quilt and have it in A few days ,but the jacks are better quilts weight about 3 ounces more.
I have heard hammock gear quilts are very conservative with there temp ratings,and quality for both EE and hammock gear seem to be unmatched.

cmoulder
05-19-2016, 08:00

That'd be right in the ballpark for EE...

HOWEVER, I got my 20° Enigma with GDD (Grey Duck Down) and have been super happy with it. I have seen absolutely no downsides or compromises with it, using it down to -6°F in concert with my down parka/pants combo in my highly tweaked UL winter setup. But that's another spiel, lol. :) Come to think of it, the most expensive and highly regarded down in existence comes from Eider Ducks!

SWODaddy
05-19-2016, 09:02
Hammockgear.com

Ive got a couple if tims quilts
Bought the first when he was just a guy on bpl making quilts for members at good prices, no wait. Like youd have it in a couple days. He really got it going by used seconds of the UL fabrics which cut the cost a lot. Ul quilts for $200. Half the price of katabatic gear.

The prices arent that good no more
The customization is gone
The delivery time is deal breaker imo

The only 20deg quilt I see on Hammockgear is $249. I've heard good things about them as well, the biggest turn-offs to me were: 1. sizing is not as generous. 2. return policy isn't as good 3. I like the EE strap system...it really works.

DuneElliot
05-19-2016, 10:08
I own the EE Convert and I think for the quality and customer service for the price you pay they are hard to beat. I'm not sure how much more customization people want, but other than the overfilling that they do not do any more, they offer multiple sizes that can be suited to you, a huge variety of mix and match interior and exterior colors and different styles (no footbox, sewn footbox or full zip).

I did a check of the EE Revelation and compared it to a couple of other brands and for the same size/temp/downfill quilt they were averaging 1-2oz of extra down per quilt over other brands.

The selling point for me was the vertical and horizontal baffle configuration...I didn't want the down shifting to the side at night when I roll and move while sleeping.