PDA

View Full Version : Possible 2018 start of thru hike attempt

gracebowen
05-18-2016, 22:13
So when my daughter turns 18 in two years she can hold my job for me.

I am my mom's provider and I can't go if there isn't someone to watch over mom.

My son so bluntly told me mom you're getting old you should go sooner.

If I get to leave in 2018 I'm already feeling like I'm running out of time to plan. I will have to start after April 19th. That was my son's request and I would anyway. That's the year he turns 16.

I originally wanted to go to the flip flop kick off but after really thinking about it I don't want to be in that bubble either. Too many people. I'm just not good with big crowds.

I've lost four more lbs. Have officially gone from obese to overweight.

My current big 3 plan comes in at 8 lbs.

AfterParty
05-18-2016, 22:20
I know what you mean about time to plan, i am going in 18-19 and it feels like I I think of something new everyday

gracebowen
05-18-2016, 23:10
My original plan was to wait til my son turned 18.

bigcranky
05-19-2016, 06:48
If you start in Harper's Ferry, and do a flip flop hike, the trail will be a LOT Less crowded than if you start at Springer in, say, late March. Yes, there will still be people on the trail, but they are more spread out. The key to avoiding crowds is to start on a weekday, and plan to tent camp rather than sleep in shelters. The crowds are almost always at shelters at night; we normally see few people on the trail while hiking during the day (except maybe on holiday weekends or at popular overlooks near roads).

You have two years to plan, which should be enough time. It's possible to go to the trail with a pack, a guidebook, and 4 days of food and start hiking, and complete the trail with no real pre-planning -- NOT that I am recommending this, but it has been done successfully. :) In my mind, the most important thing you can do in advance of the hike is to get out for a couple of overnight or long weekend hikes, but it sounds like your situation might make that difficult.

Good luck with everything.

newtgirl
05-19-2016, 08:37
My partner and I are also planning on a '18 hike. Most of my gear has been upgraded, and we're slowly working on getting his gear in order. Our next step is to get the dehydrator up and going and experimenting with dehydrated meals. We'd really like to make most of our own food. Real food beats MH any day!

gracebowen
05-19-2016, 13:51
Big cranky I am planning a Harper's Ferry start on or about 4 /20 whatever year I go.

I think I will be on at shelters because I can hang out at the fringes of the crowd. If they are too crowded I will definitely tent of move on.

gracebowen
05-19-2016, 13:53
My next step is getting a dehydrator as well.