PDA

View Full Version : North exit area of GSMNP

r2davis65
05-19-2016, 09:23
I'm hiking the GSMNP next week and my wife will pick me up in the Davenport exit area. It looks like there's not much there for a rendezvous point, other than telling her to take exit 451 on I40. Is there a parking lot that I have missed in that area?

Gambit McCrae
05-19-2016, 09:31
Yes sir there is, when you pull off I40, and turn toward the pigeon river, go over the pigeon river and IMMEDIATLY turn left and IMMEDIATLY turn left again. There is a nice little parking lot that people do trail magic at right on the river. It is probably 2-3 miles at most from davenport gap and would be safer for her to park and wait for you at then Davenport. If you wanted to push just a tad further, say 5 miles total past davenport? she could meet you at standing bear hostel which is left up the gravel road after you have walked in the woods north of I40. neat place.

r2davis65
05-19-2016, 09:52
Yes sir there is, when you pull off I40, and turn toward the pigeon river, go over the pigeon river and IMMEDIATLY turn left and IMMEDIATLY turn left again. There is a nice little parking lot that people do trail magic at right on the river. It is probably 2-3 miles at most from davenport gap and would be safer for her to park and wait for you at then Davenport. If you wanted to push just a tad further, say 5 miles total past davenport? she could meet you at standing bear hostel which is left up the gravel road after you have walked in the woods north of I40. neat place.

Perfect. Thanks. I was looking for an area by the river but couldn't tell from the satellite maps if there is parking around the Pigeon River area.

TNhiker
05-19-2016, 10:37
Along with what gambit says---you have a few other options if you don't wanna hike the 2 ish miles when the the trail exits the park ..

at davenport gap---there is a small pull off....

at this spot----don't park and leave unantended......bad place for break ins...

also---- at couple of miles before the trail leaves the park----you could take chestnut branch trail down to the Rangers station...

it's safe parking here if she wants to hike in and meet ya...

also----yall could have a picnic in big creek afterwards...

but---if strictly needed a ride by 40---go with what gambit wrote...

the trail crosses the bridge be mentions and a few places to pull off right by the river..

MtDoraDave
05-19-2016, 13:41
Big creek ranger station is only about 1.2 miles from davenport gap, and Google maps will take her right to it.
From the trail (nobo): turn R on the gravel road at Davenport gap. Walk one mile down the zig zag gravel road, then turn R at the stop sign and go .2ish miles to Big Creek ranger station.

Tennessee Viking
05-19-2016, 15:51
If you take the exit and cross under I40, you will go up the road to Standing Bear Farm. Not far from Davenport Gap/Pigeon River.

I won't park and leave vehicles at Davenport Gap or Pigeon River.

She can hang around Newport or Waynesville until you reach Davenport Gap Shelter. You can hang at the shelter or Standing Bear till she arrives.