PDA

View Full Version : Chunky Gal

Mountain Dog
05-19-2016, 12:27
Looking for the most current trail Guide "Chunky Gal and Fires Creek trail". I found a 2002 version on Amazon. I think there is a more recent version, maybe 2008. Anyone know where I can get a version later than 2002?

perrymk
05-19-2016, 13:18
http://www.gabartramtrail.org/purchase.html

Mountain Dog
05-19-2016, 16:48
Thanks! I ran a google search and could find only the one Amazon hit. I sent a message to John Ray, the guide author and manager of the site you linked for me, earlier but I'm not sure it was a good e-mail. I sent him another one using the address shown in the link you provided to make sure he is still filling orders. I used his Bartram trail guide and found it outstanding.

TNhiker
05-19-2016, 17:06
http://www.gabartramtrail.org/purchase.html

are these the latest editions?

Mountain Dog
05-19-2016, 17:26
Don't know. I sent an e-mail to John Ray to make sure the link is still good. I'll post when I hear something. He was one of the developers of the guides so I assume he is selling the most recent. I'll find out when I hear from him.

Mountain Dog
05-19-2016, 21:39
They are current. The author responded to my e-mail. He said he makes constant updates. He sends out orders with the updates made. He does not label them as a new editions unless there is a major trail change such as a major reroute. He sales directly and he sales through Amazon.

Mountain Dog
05-31-2016, 10:22
Got the trail guide really quick. I have not used it yet so I cannot attest to its accuracy. BUT, it appears to pay close attention to detail. The section I am going to hike soon, AT to hwy 64, goes into a lot of detail where ever you might make a wrong turn. It details road and other trail crossings, where they are, where they go, and such. It even details the different types of blazes at different intersections, all blue but different shapes. The author is in this for the hiking community, not for money. He charged $10 total and he paid about $2.30 postage.

Tipi Walter
05-31-2016, 12:19
I heard thru the grapevine that one of these trails is being discontinued?? Either Chunky Gal or Fires Rim Creek trail?? Get them confused.

TNhiker
05-31-2016, 13:46
I heard thru the grapevine that one of these trails is being discontinued?? Either Chunky Gal or Fires Rim Creek trail?? Get them confused.

there was a thread a couple of months (maybe april? but i cant find it on a search) that said that Chunky Gal was going to be rerouted to avoid one section of an uphill......

Mountain Dog
05-31-2016, 22:35
Have not heard the rumor. The Mountain High Hikers maintain both trails. I've worked on part of the Fire Creek Rim Trail this year and the Chunky Gal from hwy 64 north. There are some trails in the area that are currently inaccessible for maintenance because of road washouts but that is being addressed. I'm new to the club and hike/work with them only a few times each month (I do not live in the area). I'll find out what the club knows and post later.

Mountain Dog
06-01-2016, 10:09
Here is the answer regarding any reroutes of the Fires Creek and/or the Chunky Gal trails

Due to the private property inholding that the Rim Trail crosses between Will King Gap and Big Stamp on the northern side of Fires Creek Valley, the Forest Service has temporarily rerouted the Rim Trail from crossing this property. The property owners posted this property about five or six years ago. The Forest Service has indicated that a reroute of the Rim Trail to south of the private property is planned, but who knows when this might happen. In the meantime the FS has detoured the Rim Trail at Will King Gap, when hiking clockwise around the Fires Creek valley, down the Phillips Ridge Trail and then up the Rockhouse Creek Trail to Big Stamp. This adds a significant elevation loss and then gain back to Big Stamp to regain the Rim Trail. See pages 35 to page 40 of the 06-25-2015 Draft Environmental Assessment posted on the Nantahala NF web site at
www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=44803 (http://www.fs.usda.gov/project/?project=44803)

for a map of the reroute.
I do not know of any Chunky Gal changes planned. There is currently FS road repair of Tuni Gap Road (FS 440) near Bob Allison Campground that could impact the Chunky Gal trail where it crosses Tuni Gap Road, but this is temporary. Tuni Gap Road is currently closed due to land slide problem several years ago that is currently being repaired.

Tipi Walter
06-01-2016, 10:44
Thanks for the update from those familiar with these trails.