PDA

View Full Version : Temps on JMT in June

Trance
05-19-2016, 12:49
Anyone have an idea what the temps are like in mid June on the JMT starting in Yosemite? Trying to figure out what I do and do not need to bring.

Thanks.

Malto
05-19-2016, 14:00
Below freezing to 80s depending on weather, elevation etc. you will have cold mornings and nights and plenty of snow.

saltysack
05-19-2016, 14:01
I'm sure one of the Sierra regulars will ad there expertise but in mid September it was a high of 60 to a low upper 20's. I wore shorts all 13 days with no issues. Slept in a 15* bag w cap 3 to sleep and wasn't ever cold.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

burger
05-19-2016, 15:38
On the JMT in June, I think the lowest night-time temp might've been lower 20s--cold enough that my shoes froze solid most nights but not cold enough to freeze my water bottles through. Highs were 50s to 70s depending on where we were and weather or not it was cloudly. So, be prepared for everything (including rain/snow--it can happen in June).

MuddyWaters
05-19-2016, 15:44
Anyone have an idea what the temps are like in mid June on the JMT starting in Yosemite? Trying to figure out what I do and do not need to bring.

Thanks.

Anywhere from 95 F in Yosemite valley, to 20 F on Mt Whitney. It can dump snow above 12000 ft any day of the year. Aug 1 2014 Mt Whitney got 2', creating trouble for a few hikers.

Typically it only gets to 35 or so at 11500 ft camping, but once or twice a summer will see 25F. Weather monitoring stations in sierra can show you lots of pretty graphs if you use google

imscotty
05-19-2016, 16:27
It is amazing how quickly the temperature drops once the sun goes down. Once the sun comes up within an hour I was back in t-shirts again.
Last August I was happy to have a 20 degree sleeping kit. I would not go less than that. When I spent the night on Whitney, I am pretty sure it got down to the teens, sure felt like it anyway.

Trance
05-20-2016, 16:50
Thanks for the help. Just trying to figure out which coat to pack/under layers. I did the Tahoe Rim trail last year same time and didn't need a coat once.

Spirit Walker
05-20-2016, 21:33
This is a much higher snow year than last. With more snow on the ground, the temperature is likely to be lower, especially if there's wind. River crossings will be cold and the water will be high. If you end up swimming, you want to be able to warm up.

Be prepared for falling snow. When I did the PCT, my coldest night on the trail was approaching Forester Pass in a snowstorm. We had to turn back and hole up in a lower campsite because we couldn't even see the trail. The next day was gorgeous though.