PDA

View Full Version : Wondering about pack size on the AT for thru-hiking

Snaps
05-19-2016, 14:33
Hey everyone this is my very first WhiteBlaze.net post and I'm so excited. I spent a week section hiking from Springer to a little less than ten miles past Neel Gap with a group from the University of Houston. I will be a part of the thru-hike class of 2017. I was wondering what's an appropriate pack size for thru hiking? Like 50 liter pag? sixty? Let me know what you think!!

alnitak
05-19-2016, 14:42
Hey everyone this is my very first WhiteBlaze.net post and I'm so excited. I spent a week section hiking from Springer to a little less than ten miles past Neel Gap with a group from the University of Houston. I will be a part of the thru-hike class of 2017. I was wondering what's an appropriate pack size for thru hiking? Like 50 liter pag? sixty? Let me know what you think!!

50L is good...anything for 40L to 65L, though some ultralight people go less.

alnitak
05-19-2016, 14:43
50L is good...anything from 40L to 65L, though some ultralight people go less.

And some hike with 70L or more...but not many.

SteelCut
05-19-2016, 14:46
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118908-When-buying-gear-should-the-pack-come-first

TL;DR Buy all your other gear first and then you buy a pack big enough for your gear.

bigcranky
05-19-2016, 14:51
Well, you know, six months of food takes up a lot of space in your pack, so it has to be pretty big......

(Actually had someone ask me How I could carry so much food on a long hike :) )

Anyway, :welcome

Something in the 50 or 60 liter range, weighing 2-3 pounds, seems to be the most common pack among long distance hikers. The ULA Circuit is very popular, for example.

Flounder940
05-19-2016, 15:00
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118908-When-buying-gear-should-the-pack-come-first

TL;DR Buy all your other gear first and then you buy a pack big enough for your gear.

^^^^^^^^This.

left52side
05-19-2016, 15:20
This question varies quite A bit depending on gear you choose to carry with you.
I tend to try and be as light as possible myself but still have A few luxury items.
My base weight is at the 12 lb mark and I have A 50l pack that has extra room in it.
A good pack to check out would be the six moons designs fufion 50 last years model on bargin for 100.00 shipped.
It is A 40l main compartment and 10 additional liters throughout the pack.
I have it to be quite roomy for my gear with a little extra room,
Also the suspension on the six moon designs packs are thought to be one of the best of its kind,it weighs 2lb and rides like A dream for 100.00 pack you cannot beat it.
As I said make sure it is enough room for you but I would say a 50l pack should be pretty much an all around go to size.

MuddyWaters
05-19-2016, 15:41
Lets complicate the issue, shall we?

One 70L pack is not the same as another.

Some pack size is based on sum of all pockets and main bag and extension collar .

Somepack is based only on main bag, no pockets, no extension collar included.

Some are overrated by method of calculating , Some are way under.

As a result , a 40 L pack can be 35-70L in real size.

So forget anything related to stated volume. Get a pack which fits your gear.
Which means get it last most likely.

Venchka
05-19-2016, 15:59

What size pack did you use for this hike? Was it
A) Too big
B) Too small
C) Just right
You already have the answer to your pack size question.

By the way, on March 13 I made my permanent escape from Houston.
Watch the radar. Keep your powder dry.

Wayne

AfterParty
05-19-2016, 17:43
I plan on carrying a 82L mystery ranch pack. It's heavy, fairly empty thus too big. But i also wont have stuff dangling off the sides getting caught on everything. But for me it fits like butter and a excellent fitting pack is better in anysize then a poor fitting pack. I am also bringing my percolator a tent and a hammock, I really want be feel as comfortable as possible and the pack is of highest importance. I can stay under 45 lbs so it's all good.

Venchka
05-19-2016, 17:55
I plan on carrying a 82L mystery ranch pack. It's heavy, fairly empty thus too big. But i also wont have stuff dangling off the sides getting caught on everything. But for me it fits like butter and a excellent fitting pack is better in anysize then a poor fitting pack. I am also bringing my percolator a tent and a hammock, I really want be feel as comfortable as possible and the pack is of highest importance. I can stay under 45 lbs so it's all good.

There are days when I feel the same way about my Granddaddy of your Mystery Ranch pack. The Terraplane fits like a glove. Will carry more than I have any right to pick up. And it's paid for.
Then I remember that before buying the Terraplane, I bought a 2.5 pound frameless Jensen pack. It also fits like a glove. Carries everything I need. Also paid for.
Someone here once said, and I'm paraphrasing, It's ok to own more than 1 pack.
The two I have work for me.

Wayne

egilbe
05-19-2016, 18:26
Someone here once said, and I'm paraphrasing, It's ok to own more than 1 pack.
The two I have work for me.

Wayne

probably a good thing. I have more money invested in packs, than my car is worth. I think my priorities are in order :-)

AfterParty
05-19-2016, 23:35
I have a badlands 28l that is great for shorter hikes and is probably big enough for a thru attempt but I'd rather be a little empty and know I can carry a bit more probably kitchen stuff or some kinda cooler. As it stands now three of us will be going together so will be well supplied and sharing gear space to get the packs close and one guy will just carry food, which we might switch out packs everyday or so but we will try to even them up best we can. We will either sleep in 1 tent or hammocks when it's nice. But I do like my badlands pack and unconditional warranty can't be better then that.

-Rush-
05-20-2016, 03:54
Something in the 50 or 60 liter range, weighing 2-3 pounds, seems to be the most common pack among long distance hikers. The ULA Circuit is very popular, for example.

+1 BigCranky

People have thru-hiked with 20L packs before (see LonerAT on YouTube), so ultimately the capacity is something you'll be dialing in yourself.

fastfoxengineering
05-20-2016, 05:03
Pack size is subjective. Depends on your gear and needs. For an AT thru hike. All my gear and food for 5 days comfortable fit in a 35L pack. However, I'm gonna use a 45-50Lb so when I wanna bring something along in from a town. A large sub/pizza/chinesefood/six pack per say I can throw it in.

ULA circuit is ideal for "most" thru hikers.

Theosus
05-20-2016, 16:45
Lets complicate the issue, shall we?

One 70L pack is not the same as another.

Some pack size is based on sum of all pockets and main bag and extension collar .

Somepack is based only on main bag, no pockets, no extension collar included.

Some are overrated by method of calculating , Some are way under.

As a result , a 40 L pack can be 35-70L in real size.

So forget anything related to stated volume. Get a pack which fits your gear.
Which means get it last most likely.

Add to that some packs come in varying torso lengths. So a 45L pack may be just that, but could vary several liters either way for short or long torsos.

I say forget the number - go with the pack that fits the stuff you need to carry around. Some people with 40 Liter packs will scoff at the guys with 60L packs, but the 40L pack has stuff clipped all to the outside and is bursting at the seams, every packing and unpacking is a fight.
Some 60L folks scoff at the 40L folks, but struggle with the excess weight they're carrying around (which could be 10 liters of empty space, or 10L of stuff they would have left home if they bought the 50L pack.

Figure out what you need to live. Then buy the pack that fits that stuff comfortably. Someone doing weekend overnights in the summer is probably going to get away with a smaller pack than someone doing week-long hikes in the winter. I have a Deuter 65+10. I've never used the +10 extension collar, but I've been close on a few winter hikes with my 0* under quilts, down jacket, and 3 days of food. Normally everything fits very well with a little spare room. My hammock stuff is a bit bulky and maybe I don't pack it the best way, but it fits and I'm carrying it... so it works for ME.

Venchka
05-20-2016, 21:53
I have a badlands 28l that is great for shorter hikes and is probably big enough for a thru attempt but I'd rather be a little empty and know I can carry a bit more probably kitchen stuff or some kinda cooler. As it stands now three of us will be going together so will be well supplied and sharing gear space to get the packs close and one guy will just carry food, which we might switch out packs everyday or so but we will try to even them up best we can. We will either sleep in 1 tent or hammocks when it's nice. But I do like my badlands pack and unconditional warranty can't be better then that.

I'm old. I know less than nothing.
What little I do know is that your "plan" is guaranteed to be a disaster.
Don't take my word for it.
Look around WhiteBlaze. There are clues everywhere.
Good luck.

Wayne

MuddyWaters
05-21-2016, 01:24

Not good idea.

AfterParty
05-21-2016, 16:10
What's not a good idea?

egilbe
05-21-2016, 16:40
What's not a good idea?

Once person carrying all the food

What could possibly go wrong with that?

left52side
05-21-2016, 16:56
I couldn't imagine three thru hikers crammed into one tent every night and on days when it rains.
And what type of cooler do you intend to place in A 28L pack and have room for other gear,I would like to see A gear sheet of this hike.
And yes one person carting all the food around just seems ridiculous to me but thats just my .02,what do I know lol.
If it works for you guys go with it.

-Rush-
05-21-2016, 19:45
What's not a good idea?

Splitting gear and food required by each hiker between different hikers. The minute you become dependent on someone other than yourself during a thru-hike is the minute you invite annoyance, disaster, and failure. Keep in mind, we are discussing AT Thru-Hiking.. not weekend camping trips.

AfterParty
05-21-2016, 22:07
I'm not taking the 28l on a thru hike and the cooler would be a water bladder. Don't read to much into my plans I don't.

egilbe
05-21-2016, 23:08
I'm not taking the 28l on a thru hike and the cooler would be a water bladder. Don't read to much into my plans I don't.

Doesn't sound like you are putting much thought into them, either.

greentick
05-22-2016, 01:35
crossload.

CamelMan
05-22-2016, 14:19
I couldn't imagine three thru hikers crammed into one tent every night and on days when it rains.

But when the other two bail, you have a roomy, 3-person tent all to yourself for the next 2000 miles.