PDA

View Full Version : Is the StratoSpire 2 too much tent for one?

Rybir
05-19-2016, 18:01
I've got it narrowed down for my PCT SoBo thru hike that I will begin in July.

It is between Tarptent's SS1 and SS2.

Both have the same pack dimensions.

The SS 2 is 10 oz heavier, but I have a feeling that 10 oz really goes a long way. Plus if I ever want the more space for others in the future it's there.

Any one have input before I pull the final trigger? Thank you so much.

Hosh
05-19-2016, 18:07
Since your primary purpose is for a thru hike, I would go with the SS1 and save the 10 ozs.

Rybir
05-19-2016, 18:27
This sounds wise.

Venchka
05-19-2016, 18:48
Since your primary purpose is for a thru hike, I would go with the SS1 and save the 10 ozs.

Agreed.
I'm very close to overcoming decision paralysis.
I'm down to the SS 1 and Solong 6.

Wayne

Rybir
05-19-2016, 22:14
Agreed.

Wayne

Just something about the SS aesthetic design that really makes me happy. Maybe at the end of the day, when you definitely have it narrowed down to two great tents, looks come into play?

Rybir
05-19-2016, 22:16
Now the question is for the SS... do I buy the "solid" wall interior in addition the mesh and carry both of them with me for the option of interchangeability? Cascades and Sierras could warrant the warmer solid wall.

Hosh
05-19-2016, 22:56
I have owned 3 TT's. My other issue is the low venting on many/most of their tents. Not an issue for everyone, but the cool night breeze is right in your face, depending on conditions. I am a rotisserie sleeper and found the exposure to wind unpleasant.

I have contemplated buying a Moment DW, yes I have a gear obsession, but would get the solid interior. Much of my backpacking is at altitude in sub-alpine environs, so cool/cold night breeze is pretty common. The extra ounce or so would be worth it for me and would only carry the solid interior. The cost/weight difference is pretty minimal.

Rybir
05-19-2016, 23:11
I have owned 3 TT's. My other issue is the low venting on many/most of their tents. Not an issue for everyone, but the cool night breeze is right in your face, depending on conditions. I am a rotisserie sleeper and found the exposure to wind unpleasant.

I have contemplated buying a Moment DW, yes I have a gear obsession, but would get the solid interior. Much of my backpacking is at altitude in sub-alpine environs, so cool/cold night breeze is pretty common. The extra ounce or so would be worth it for me and would only carry the solid interior. The cost/weight difference is pretty minimal.

Yes. I think I will carry both mesh and solid. I am not accustomed to cold all too well besides breaking ice dams for a week in Boston 2 years ago during their 100 inches of snow. Other that I am from Florida and have lived in Texas for 3 years. I am already going pretty light. I think mesh and solid will be able to be okay.

OCDave
05-20-2016, 11:22
I think you might be expecting too much from a solid inner. While certainly a solid inner will impede the infiltration of dust and fine dirt, I doubt you would notice a significant interior temperature difference. Carry one inner and rely on your sleeping bag/quilt for warmth. I have the SS 2 with mesh inner and have been very happy however, hiking the arid and dusty Southwest would make the solid inner a better choice.

Good Luck

Hosh
05-20-2016, 11:55
I would pick one or the other and not carry both. If it's too hot, you can vent pretty easily. The vestibules are big enough that you could leave one or both open even in a driving rain.

Rybir
05-20-2016, 15:36
I would pick one or the other and not carry both. If it's too hot, you can vent pretty easily. The vestibules are big enough that you could leave one or both open even in a driving rain.

If it's too hot with the solid you mean? I am starting Sobo in July so I will be in the desert in the fall. I think more so the cold is going be the feature weather temp.

Gambit McCrae
05-20-2016, 16:07
Read about half way down.

I have put about 1000 miles on the ss2. It is IMO the perfect size 1 man tent, or couples tent if you sleep with your packs under your head as I do.

I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset". Tight areas like I found in Mass, where theres just now a lot of flat land to choose from can become difficult to pitch.

Pros: Its light, fairly inexpensive, has never let me down in huge storms or <4 inches of flooding.

cons: Setup is specific, wind HAS blown it up off the ground enough to let the pole collapse on me(one timeon Grassy bald, roan highlands).

I have the all mesh inside nest and love it, couldn't see needing the solid wall.
I am looking at getting the cloudburst3

Rybir
05-20-2016, 16:20
Read about half way down.

I have put about 1000 miles on the ss2. It is IMO the perfect size 1 man tent, or couples tent if you sleep with your packs under your head as I do.

I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset". Tight areas like I found in Mass, where theres just now a lot of flat land to choose from can become difficult to pitch.

Pros: Its light, fairly inexpensive, has never let me down in huge storms or <4 inches of flooding.

cons: Setup is specific, wind HAS blown it up off the ground enough to let the pole collapse on me(one timeon Grassy bald, roan highlands).

I have the all mesh inside nest and love it, couldn't see needing the solid wall.
I am looking at getting the cloudburst3

Do you think something like the Solong 6 from Lightheart is about the same situation in regards to setup?

Venchka
05-20-2016, 22:14
Now the question is for the SS... do I buy the "solid" wall interior in addition the mesh and carry both of them with me for the option of interchangeability? Cascades and Sierras could warrant the warmer solid wall.

Tough question. I wouldn't carry both. That's just me and my new found weight dropping ideas.
However, if I buy the SS 1, I will buy the solid inner tent for use in the desert and around snow.
I also plan to use the fly alone when bugs aren't a problem. That to me is the biggest advantage of a real double wall tent.

Wayne

Rybir
05-28-2016, 11:29
My primary purpose has changed to more of a duration goal: e out there at least two months. Doing a thru hike and daily high mileage isn't the goal. so now I am leaning towards the extra space

SkeeterPee
05-28-2016, 14:24
Agreed.

Wayne

These are the two I am thinking of too. What are you looking at as pros con's of each?

Here are mine

SS1
Huge Vestibules, probably would not use them much
Easy to open 1-4 sides of vestibule
small size 32x86 floor. should be able to fit bag at head with 6ft mat
48 in height. with apex at angle to floor, it looks like it might be easier to have 2 people sit in tent if you drop down netting and widen floor.
True 2 wall tent.
no pocket-can it be added?

Solong 6
100 in x 30 in. with 55in wide at center.
45 in height
small vestibules, for shoes only?
awning or close in, extra pole for awning.
lots more floor space inside, bag beside or at head/feet
not sure if you can open each of 4 sides of vestibule separately. couldn't find any pictures with 1/4 or 2/4 open.
has a pocket which I like.
most of tent is 2 walled.

Interested in what others see as the benefits of each

Franco
05-28-2016, 18:27
"I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset".
I shot a video sometime ago showing a workaround this problem.Can be used for most tents ;
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXLi-6D1K_8

Rybir
05-28-2016, 19:55
"I do have to say that the SS1 or 2 design all the same, requires a very specific ground area to setup ideally. "One root in the wrong spot means a reset".
I shot a video sometime ago showing a workaround this problem.Can be used for most tents ;
<span style="color: rgb(51, 51, 51); background-color: rgb(235, 235, 235);">
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FXLi-6D1K_8

Great. Thank you. I liked your "How to set up on rock video" too

Franco
05-29-2016, 21:44
Thanks for your comment Rybir.
Be careful though, I read somewhere here that there are manufacturer's shills about.

Rybir
05-30-2016, 15:43
Thanks for your comment Rybir.
Be careful though, I read somewhere here that there are manufacturer's shills about.

Hmm...yes. Could be very true Franco.

Regardless, I pulled the trigger on Stratospire 1. Feeling good about it.

Malto
05-30-2016, 17:32
My primary purpose has changed to more of a duration goal: e out there at least two months. Doing a thru hike and daily high mileage isn't the goal. so now I am leaning towards the extra space

Many people cowboy camp on the PCT. Example, I only set up my tarp 3 times in 98 days but I also knew that I loved cowboy camping going into my PCT hike. It really could impact your choice of shelter toward more minimalist.

Venchka
05-30-2016, 22:18
Hmm...yes. Could be very true Franco.

Regardless, I pulled the trigger on Stratospire 1. Feeling good about it.

Please share your long term experience with the SS 1.
Thanks and have fun!

Wayne

Rybir
05-31-2016, 00:23
Many people cowboy camp on the PCT. Example, I only set up my tarp 3 times in 98 days but I also knew that I loved cowboy camping going into my PCT hike. It really could impact your choice of shelter toward more minimalist.

Yes, I decided to go with SS1. I think comfort of tent will be useful. I lack experience sleeping outdoors.

Rybir
05-31-2016, 00:23
Please share your long term experience with the SS 1.
Thanks and have fun!

Wayne

Will do both on fun and feedback.

squeezebox
05-31-2016, 08:42
I might consider owning both. But no way carrying both at the same time.

MtDoraDave
06-02-2016, 07:51

The SS 2 is 10 oz heavier, but I have a feeling that 10 oz really goes a long way. Plus if I ever want the more space for others in the future it's there.

While you have made your decision, I wanted to comment on this. I bought the Squall 2 for 2 reasons. 1, In my car camping experience, I like to spread my stuff out inside my tent, and 2, because I thought perhaps I'd share the tent with a hiking partner some day.

I've had the tent a couple years now, and never shared it. Spreading my stuff out inside the tent isn't as important to me as it used to be. After sleeping inside my sleeping bag with all the things I didn't want to freeze, I'm not as concerned with being crowded by things. Large (dual) vestibules would be great - both for storage and for ventilation.

While I don't exactly regret my choice, I would buy a different tent today if starting over.

2 person tents typically have a larger footprint, which can make finding a place to pitch challenging in some sites... and carrying the extra weight of a 2 person tent for hundreds of miles... well...

Minos
08-06-2016, 01:33

If you like the SS design, there seems to be a newly available copy of this design available on the market, in between the SS1 and SS2 in size, and designed for a known ultralight hiker. Dunno what it is worth and would be hesitant to use a blatant industrial-grade copy though.

Minos

Franco
08-06-2016, 19:20
There are two shelters that share the offset pole design of the SS 1/2 however that is about all there is in common with those three designs.
Skurka has explained that he was not aware of the TT SS when himself and Sierra Design made the first two prototypes and really once you see the exact geometry they are not all that much alike.
For what is worth, I think that the end supports of the StratoSpire offer a lot more leverage and internal room than having the fly corner down to the ground all around as well as having (in my opinion) a better windshedding shape .
Note bthe hexagonal shape of the SS vs the rectangular High Route.
Henry Shires himself was accused of having copied a Phoenix tent when making the Rainbow when in fact he had never heard of Phoenix (a defunct British brand) and the Rainbow was inspired by 3 different single hoop shelters one of which was the Mac Pac Microlite.

However if you saw the Rainbow and the Microlite side by side you would know that they are not all that much alike...
franco@tarptent

Franco
08-06-2016, 19:45
Here is a side view of the SD High Route vs the Notch and SS1 :

Minos
08-07-2016, 01:21
There are two shelters that share the offset pole design of the SS 1/2 however that is about all there is in common with those three designs.
Skurka has explained that he was not aware of the TT SS when himself and Sierra Design made the first two prototypes and really once you see the exact geometry they are not all that much alike.
For what is worth, I think that the end supports of the StratoSpire offer a lot more leverage and internal room than having the fly corner down to the ground all around as well as having (in my opinion) a better windshedding shape .
Note bthe hexagonal shape of the SS vs the rectangular High Route.
Henry Shires himself was accused of having copied a Phoenix tent when making the Rainbow when in fact he had never heard of Phoenix (a defunct British brand) and the Rainbow was inspired by 3 different single hoop shelters one of which was the Mac Pac Microlite.

However if you saw the Rainbow and the Microlite side by side you would know that they are not all that much alike...
franco@tarptent

Well, as an SS owner, it does really look like an SS design without the vestibules. Pole arrangement, ridgeline, detachable fly, net-only setup and door design are probably all too similar to be pure coincidence. Of course, it does not share the fancy corners. Maybe that would make this too obvious? Or are these IP protected? In the end, like many chinese copies, the "evolutionary copies" are not as good as the original... This being said, I do not care.

Rybir
08-07-2016, 21:34
Yeah, I just slept outside for first time in my SS1 last night. It happened to storm in the middle of the night. Overall very comfortable. So that's that.