PDA

View Full Version : Jerry Cabin Shelter tenting

B_Rizzle
05-20-2016, 10:10
Are there places to tent camp near the jerry cabin shelter? It was hard to tell from past posts and videos. I see there are none designated as tent sites.

Gambit McCrae
05-20-2016, 10:27
There is space for 1-2 tents in front of the shelter, and keep hiking north 2-3 hundred yards and there is flatness for tents

wicca witch
05-20-2016, 10:45
As Gambit said there is flat ground north. That is where i pitched my tent when going thru

The Cleaner
05-20-2016, 10:47
Just past the shelter a few feet are tent spots also.Up above the spring about 75 yards is a good flat spot with a view of the valley below and you can get cell service there too.

Pedaling Fool
05-20-2016, 10:56
I've always tented there. Am I missing something?

This little guy was under my tent fly when camping at JCS -- rained like crazy all night that night:mad:

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/6/9/3/6/4-22-06024601_713902.jpg

Gambit McCrae
05-20-2016, 11:01
Behind the shelter was poop city when I slackpacked that area in 14', in 01 Jerry cabin was my first time on the AT, and I tented on the other side of the trail from the cabin in a little grassy spot

B_Rizzle
05-20-2016, 12:59
Thanks for the tips. One less thing for me to worry about.

copro
05-23-2016, 14:25
Can anyone tell me if there are any decent campsite south of Jerry Cabin between there and Little Laurel shelter?

Mr. Bumpy
05-23-2016, 14:43
I don't have my map in front of me, but you should be able to find the Whiteoak Flats trail at Bearwallow Gap. If you go down that trail there you can find a couple of good spots, one almost right away and one maybe 1/4 mile down. It has been some time since I've been there and I'm thinking that you would be pressed to find water.
Bearwallow Gap would be maybe two or three miles from Jerry Cabin on your way to Little Laurel. It is before Blackstack Cliffs.
If you are hammocking there are more places to hang than to camp. Most of that ridge is dry, so fill up at Jerry Cabin.

The Cleaner
05-23-2016, 16:45
Can anyone tell me if there are any decent campsite south of Jerry Cabin between there and Little Laurel shelter? The only campsite w/water is about 3/4 mile north of the side trail to Camp Creek Bald fire tower.There is no view at the tower and it's got razor wire about halfway up.Also just beyond the campsite is the blue blaze trail which goes a very short distance to the open fields of Jones Meadow.Just beyond the very rocky ridge walk there are some flat spots but by then you're only 2 miles from the shelter.I'll be going up to the shelter in about a week to clean up after several hundred thru hikers have passed by in the last month.

copro
05-23-2016, 22:16
Thank you! And thanks for your hard work.