PDA

View Full Version : Apple Watch + GAIA - Share your experience.

-Rush-
05-20-2016, 16:08
Anyone use this regularly? I'll probably wait until the next Apple Watch is released to make the move, but I've been a GAIA user for a while now. I'm looking to hear from real-world experience in terms of battery life, ease of use, and usefulness on the trail(s).

QiWiz
05-23-2016, 11:41
Anyone use this regularly? I'll probably wait until the next Apple Watch is released to make the move, but I've been a GAIA user for a while now. I'm looking to hear from real-world experience in terms of battery life, ease of use, and usefulness on the trail(s).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that for Gaia to display a map on the watch, you have to have it running on the iPhone at the same time, which will tend to run down the iPhone battery, unlike just turning the phone on when you need to check your position on trail. It seems like you avoid having to take the phone out of your pocket at the expense of battery life. Am I missing something? I am a big Gaia fan BTW and have wondered about the watch interface for it.

-Rush-
05-23-2016, 18:12
That is correct. I just want the maps, stats, and location on my wrist. It's just a pain to deal with my iPhone 6S+ while hiking/biking. I would imagine the watch app would allow you to request location the same as the phone does, and using that makes battery life a lot better. I believe you can download the maps to the watch for use without the phone as well.

Greenlight
05-23-2016, 18:44
A stand alone app for the Watch would be the only real solution. Apple knows that the viability of the Watch hinges on stand alone apps. I think it is safe to assume that it'll be "do-able" in the near future.