PDA

View Full Version : the lord prayer for hikers..saw this once..

DavidNH
12-31-2005, 23:35
Once I saw some verison of the Lord's Prayers but verses all changed to relate to hikers and hiking. Might have been on www.thebackpacker.com (http://www.thebackpacker.com) but honestly i have no idea where exactly i saw it but i am just hoping someone here could dig this out. It was a classic. If one saw it it the correlation would be obvios..you know.... our father...lead us not to temptation..etc etc etc.

three dancin banannas for anyone who could dig up this hiker prayer and send it to me. Gotta be somewheres on the net.

or perhaps one of you could come up with a prayer specific to hikers!

DavidNH

Sly
01-01-2006, 01:08
Sorry, I can't help with the prayer but, I have my own mantra that goes something like this, onefootinfrontoftheother, repeated as need be.

Dreadie
01-01-2006, 02:12
Hey DavidNH, I just searched for about 1/2 hour for this prayer. I couldn't find it, but found lots of other cool Christian, hiker stuff, including this short prayer I've seen somewhere else before: Dear Lord, if you pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.:) Sorry I couldn't be more help.

DavidNH
01-01-2006, 13:12
Hey DavidNH, I just searched for about 1/2 hour for this prayer. I couldn't find it, but found lots of other cool Christian, hiker stuff, including this short prayer I've seen somewhere else before: Dear Lord, if you pick 'em up, I'll put 'em down.:) Sorry I couldn't be more help.

thanks for trying. If it helps..this was of the humerous variety. Since I saw the article a co uple years back, the link to it may no longer exist.

DavidNH

gumby
01-01-2006, 13:55
This may be the one you are looking for. I just finished reading Solophiles journal www.solophile.com (http://www.solophile.com) and remenbered it.

From Solophile

Here's something to entertain. I wish I could claim authorship, but the honors go to Kahlena of the AT-L newsgroup. Thanks for making us all smile, Kahlena!
HIKER'S PRAYER
--------------
Now I lay me down to sleep
I pray the Lord my tent won't leak
The mice will let my pack alone
They won't chew in and make a home
The bears will leave my food bag be
And skunks will stay away from me
My boots will dry and my clothes too
And super'll taste better'n Goo
My dog won't whine or fart or snore
I'll see some views and won't be bored
The day will dawn sun-ny and clear
And some trail angel will give me....
a glass of milk

gumby

poppintool
06-29-2009, 03:07
Here is the prayer I've always known:

Hiker’s Prayer

Take me to higher ground.
Lift me up from this forsaken valley

Raise me
from this lower meadow,
up from this lower being that I am.

Take me up this rigorous trail
desperate to make me
its next victim,

to fall prey
to its mighty grades
and steep ridges.

Make me persevere
over rocks and boulders
that lay in places
where I least expect them.

Encourage me
when I grow weary.

Give me water
when I thirst,

and food
when I hunger.

But most importantly,
when I succumb to fatigue,
carry me to the peak
where I can find rest
in Your presence.

Rockhound
06-29-2009, 08:03
So you always see the winners of sporting events thanking "god" for their success. Just once I want to see some guy say, "god made me miss that free throw" or "god made me strike out". Honestly does anyone really think "god" gives 2 farts about the outcome of these things. Besides, being omniscient he knows the outcome ahead of time. Kind of a fatalist viewpoint if you ask me and shoots that whole "freewill" thing all to hell.

Manwich
06-29-2009, 08:45
So you always see the winners of sporting events thanking "god" for their success. Just once I want to see some guy say, "god made me miss that free throw" or "god made me strike out". Honestly does anyone really think "god" gives 2 farts about the outcome of these things. Besides, being omniscient he knows the outcome ahead of time. Kind of a fatalist viewpoint if you ask me and shoots that whole "freewill" thing all to hell.

errr you're from Tennessee. Isn't it illegal to say something like that there?

In any case... I'm sure an equal number of people are praying for a team to lose as much as it's team members are praying for it to win... thus... negating all dialogue with their imaginary friends.

Froggy
06-29-2009, 10:17
Lord, you pick the feet up, I'll set them down. Thanks, Buddy!

StarLyte
06-29-2009, 10:26
Lord, you pick the feet up, I'll set them down. Thanks, Buddy!

I like that Froggy.

I would say make up your prayer(s) and write poems at night during your hike. Earl did.

Your sense of mind and peace will be different while hiking, thus, your writings.

Have fun.

Snowleopard
07-08-2009, 20:37
Somewhat relevant, from the Song of Solomon, Chapter 2:

...behold, he cometh leaping upon the mountains, skipping upon the hills.
My beloved is like a roe or a young hart: behold, he standeth behind our wall, he looketh forth at the windows, shewing himself through the lattice.
My beloved spake, and said unto me, Rise up, my love, my fair one, and come away.
For, lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone;
The flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come, and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land;

sheepdog
07-08-2009, 21:07
Just because you know how they will choose doesn't mean they didn't have free will to make the choice. I just took a psychology class and it is about as anti christian and pro science as can be. their conclusions; Religeous people, live longer, handle crisises better, are healther, and happier than non-religeous people. I love how the non-religeous are alway promoting their non-religeon. Like moths to a flame they can't stay away. The guy was looking for a prayer, not to be converted to atheism.

David@whiteblaze
07-26-2009, 22:16
my verse is my signature:

Summit
07-26-2009, 22:26
my verse is my signature:Hmmm, so are you identifying with "wandering" and "walking" or with "Satan," or all three?