PDA

View Full Version : Replacement for an Exped Synmat UL 7?

wurble
05-21-2016, 14:34
My most recent pad was an Exped Synmat UL 7, which I absolutely loved - warm, comfy, light, tiny when packed. However, it delaminated after about 50 nights on it, and a quick Google search shows numerous similar reports of the inner baffles coming unglued due to moisture and/or heat. I want a more durable pad for upcoming summer hikes.

What replacement pad would you recommend? How durable is it?

Comfort-wise, I really prefer the long channels of the Exped mats vs. the short cross-channels of the various Thermarests. Has anyone out there with the same preference gotten used to it? I'm a very cold sleeper as well, so higher R values are good.

Venchka
05-21-2016, 15:42
2 continuous months, 3 months total on my Xtherm large. I sleep as well on the Xtherm as I do in my beds.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Venchka
05-21-2016, 15:45
Ps:
I chose the Xtherm for exactly the reasons you need to replace your Exped UL 7. Unreliable and a short guarantee.

Wayne

wurble
05-23-2016, 13:10
Anyone have any reports of a Thermarest Xtherm failing? I've found pretty much nothing so far, which is promising.

Also, any experience with the Gossamer Gear Airbeam? It also has the lengthwise baffles.

Venchka
05-23-2016, 17:44
No trouble with my Xtherm after a total of 3 months use.
How many nights did the Exped last?

Wayne

Ashepabst
05-23-2016, 18:11
you should call them --see if they'll swap it out for you.

martinb
05-24-2016, 15:50
you should call them --see if they'll swap it out for you.

This. I bought two that did this and they were replaced free of charge. Replacements have no problems.

wurble
05-27-2016, 02:29
Just went to a store to try out the Xtherm in person. Feels great. The mummy shape felt incredibly narrow to me, so I'm going to go with the rectangular MAX.

If anyone else is reading this before May 30, you can get a good discount at mountaingear.com (I paid $135 for an Xtherm MAX Regular, free shipping).

wurble
05-27-2016, 02:31
Oh, and the Xtherm is MUCH less crinkly/noisy than the regular NeoAir and the NeoAir Xlite. I wouldn't get the others due to crinkliness, but I barely noticed it in the Xtherm. It's so much better.

Drybones
05-27-2016, 07:32
I used a Synmat for about two years and 1800 or so miles before it came apart, and I believe the reason for it's final failure was all the moisture inside from blowing it up by mouth, I finally got an air bladder to inflate it with but was too late to matter, I replaced it with a BA Qcore but don't like it nearly as well as the Synmatt.....get another Synmat....or you'll regret it.

Casey & Gina
06-10-2016, 14:46
After a LOT of trial and error, we landed on Downmat UL 7's in the LW variety. Lots more comfortable for me (prefer the lengthwise baffles). Also have BA Q-Cores but don't like them as much when actually sleeping on them, and didn't like Thermarest air mattresses which have the short baffles and are rather noisy. Both of these felt good to just lie on for a while in the store, but it's a different story when you try to spend all night on them. I'm a little bit nervous about the UL material compared to the heavier duty Exped mats, but we use a tent with a strong floor and put the pads inside of a groundsheet sleeve...so far so good. If you have doubt about durability of Exped UL mattresses, but like the products, just move up to the heavier non-UL models. Typical UL tradeoffs for the lighter weight are less durability and increased cost...no exception here. I'm trying out the UL Downmats but if they end up letting me down we'll simply switch to non-UL Downmats. Of course Synmats are fine too if you don't need that high of an R-value.

Rockie
06-10-2016, 16:32
This. I bought two that did this and they were replaced free of charge. Replacements have no problems.

I used (and LOVED) Exped Downmat extra long for about 4 months in 2012 and then on every short trip since then. Finally one of the baffles did come unglued. I emailed them and they said they'd check it out if I paid to send it back. I did and they sent me a brand new one with no questions asked.

wurble
06-21-2016, 16:24
I emailed Exped and explained that I don't have the mat or the receipt anymore. They STILL sent me a new one! They did ask for a picture, and the mat they sent was a factory seconds item, but I'm still amazed.

Here's hoping they figure out a better design, though, because the number of Exped mat failures I've read about is VERY high. This bicycle tourer, for instance, had his mat fail, and then the replacement failed, and then that replacement failed too. http://www.bicycletouringpro.com/blog/review-exped-downmat-7-pump-sleeping-mat/

madgoat
06-22-2016, 07:15
I have a synmat 7 LW that I occasionally use for car camping or a spare bed for guests (not the UL kind, so it weighs 2.5 pounds). I was sleeping on it in Eldora Speedway's campground when one of the baffles let loose. Very odd sensation and a unique way to wake up. It took me a few minutes just to process what happened.

I contacted exped. They had me take a picture of the mat showing the serial number and a corner of the mat cut off, and they sent me a brand new one. No need to ship the original back to them.

They have a 5 year warranty, so make sure to contact them quickly if you are nearing the end. All they need is the serial number printed on the mat to confirm if it is within 5 years.

Ashepabst
06-22-2016, 14:27
After spending like $175 on my pad, I'm happy to hear that they're so OK with doing free replacements --very cool. :cool:

Venchka
06-22-2016, 17:26
I have a synmat 7 LW that I occasionally use for car camping or a spare bed for guests (not the UL kind, so it weighs 2.5 pounds). I was sleeping on it in Eldora Speedway's campground when one of the baffles let loose. Very odd sensation and a unique way to wake up. It took me a few minutes just to process what happened.

I contacted exped. They had me take a picture of the mat showing the serial number and a corner of the mat cut off, and they sent me a brand new one. No need to ship the original back to them.

They have a 5 year warranty, so make sure to contact them quickly if you are nearing the end. All they need is the serial number printed on the mat to confirm if it is within 5 years.

5 years for the standard weight products. The UL products are only guaranteed for 2 years.
Thermarest wins. Xtherm Large wins.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

cmoulder
06-22-2016, 22:49
I'm luvvin my Exped pillow, but after some brief dalliances with a couple of Exped air mats I'm sticking with TR for that role.

Nice to hear that Exped is good with the warranty/replacements/whatever, but IMHO it's far more preferable to have a product that holds up while out in the woods. Over the decades I've used a fair number of self-inflating and air mat TR products with no issues.

Beuhler
06-23-2016, 21:03
Hmmmm....I've been 5 years with my ExPed UL7. Love it. No problems. Have the pillow, the pillow pump, and the schnozzle bag. All work great together.

poolskaterx
06-24-2016, 13:57
Love my Xtherm! So light, comfy, and warm! (did I mention light?) Took a few times to get the air pressure right... I use way less pressure than what I used with my previous mattress compared to the Xtherm.