PDA

View Full Version : Yogi

Mother Natures Son
05-21-2016, 19:03
Can anything be Yogi? (Or begging.) I know it is most to be used for food but some of hikers go to new limits!

MuddyWaters
05-21-2016, 19:17
Yogi-ing isnt begging.
Its getting strangers to give you what you need, without asking.
Subtly show them you have a need, and have them offer assistance while thinking its their own idea.

Yeah, some hikers just beg.

johnnybgood
05-21-2016, 19:33
That pretty much sums it up ^

Greenlight
05-21-2016, 19:37
Traditionally, it only applied to pick-a-nick baskets.

Venchka
05-21-2016, 19:41
It also helped if you had a small, seemingly helpless, companion.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

Dogwood
05-21-2016, 20:12
MW nailed it.

bigcranky
05-21-2016, 20:53
MW is correct. When done properly, the person providing the assistance thinks it's their own idea.

Sarcasm the elf
05-21-2016, 23:29
Yogi-ing isnt begging.
Subtly show them you have a need, and have them offer assistance while thinking its their own idea.

This.

The first time I was accused of yogi-ing by a hiking buddy was after I persuaded another hiker to their hands prior to making communal food without them realizing that they were doing it at my suggestion.

rocketsocks
05-22-2016, 02:24
I never yogi'd any food...but I have Scooby-Doo'd it!

Pedaling Fool
05-22-2016, 06:19

I find it sad that so many in the AT community think that begging and yogi-ing food is the same thing. Not even close.

I never yogi'd any food...but I have Scooby-Doo'd it!
RS, If you're not careful, you could start a new tradition.:)

Lyle
05-22-2016, 07:59
I put it in the same category as "stealth" camping. The term's meaning has changed since us old-timers first used it.

Malto
05-22-2016, 08:30
Yogi-ing isnt begging.

Agree, huge difference. I picked up a resupply at a campground and asked someone where I could get change for detergent for laundry. They gave me detergent. THat was a proper yogi. Later when I was done and returned the detergent they were drinking red wine. I made the comment that the wine looked delicious especially since I hadn't had any since the start of the trip. they offered me some wine. I did not accept because I believe I crossed the line between a yogi and begging. (I hadn't meant for it to come across so strong, it just looked good.)

MuddyWaters
05-22-2016, 09:34
People tend to give more and freely when its their idea. If your truly humble and appreciative, sometimes the floodgates of giving open.

One of main lessons of the trail is that there are many good selfless people left in the world that will take care of total strangers.

Funny that many selfcentered hikers strive to take advantage of them, while acknowledging the trails lesson.

CJOttawa
05-22-2016, 09:47
Disclosure: aspiring section hiker, not a through hiker.

Yogi-ing isnt begging.

MW is correct. When done properly, the person providing the assistance thinks it's their own idea.

How is this different from "grifting" aka "a con?" I'm honestly asking because I don't see it.

I meet people in urban settings who attempt exactly what you've described. They are invariably mooches/con-artists/scammers who simply apply a different tactic than outright "begging."

Further, what's the trail etiquette surrounding what you're calling "yogi?"

If I'm packed for exactly a week of hiking, I likely don't have any extra food or fuel, or my surplus is designed to keep me safe, not resupply someone else.

I can pump some filtered water for them as that has no downside to me.

Let them use my phone to call for a pick-up because they aren't properly equipped to be on the trail? Sure, I can do that.

Agree, huge difference. I picked up a resupply at a campground and asked someone where I could get change for detergent for laundry. They gave me detergent. THat was a proper yogi...

Now I'm really confused... that doesn't seem the same as any of the previous examples! You were more than happy to pay for your detergent, correct? Someone was nice enough to offer some but you weren't expecting it, right? (plus: you had a plan, resupplied, were not ill equipped to be hiking)

The type of person I'm picturing doing the "yogi" thing would be the chronic abusers: they're trying to do a hike without proper planning or supplies and relying on the charity of others. No matter what you give them, a few miles down the road, they're at it again.

In contrast, I can see someone needing transitory help to get back on track (broken tent pole, water bladder tore, whatever) but I'm not expecting to run into them day after day "in need." (I can splint a pole, patch a bladder for them)

Please though, set me straight. I'm both fascinated and horrified by the type of people I'm imagining repeatedly "yogi-ing."

MuddyWaters
05-22-2016, 10:17
Theres no con involved.

Picture a young woman hiker that walks up to a family picnicing at a popular trailhead overlook. She says hi, pets their puppy. They ask her questions about her hike, she enthralls them with details. Then she pulls out a pop tart to nibble on while they are eating buckets of fried chicken. Seeing this they invite her to join them. Thats a yogi.

Maybe she takes her boots off and bandages her blisters afterwards. They feel sorry for her. She says shes thinking about taking a day off. They offer to give her a ride to town. She just yogi'd that too.

In an extreme example they may invite her home to stay with them a day or two, feed her, do her laundry, and bring her back to trail. It happens.

No con involved.

Another hiker could walk up and ask if they had any food they could spare when they are finished, or ask for a ride to town. Thats begging.

Women are better at yogiing and getting rides because society is more trusting and protective of them.

pilgrimskywheel
05-22-2016, 11:29
Semantics. Like the Dali Lama once told me: "The intention either purifies, or sullies the act." Then he handed me a doughnut with no hole. Being in a high vis position where folks have the bright idea to give you stuff, versus cruising up and appearing needy to trick them into giving you stuff you don't necessarily need, but want - vastly different. The dying art of the Yogi is sad to behold. Don't get me wrong. I've staked out a picnic pavilion or two - Hell, I crashed an outdoor wedding on the PCT. It's about finesse, class, style, and understanding the art. Everybody wants to be part of a miraculous adventure. They'll either approach you and invite you over - or not. I had to hike on by the wedding - they had to see me. The bride's father came right over and next thing you know I'm drunk eating cake and have a ride to town. Simply by implementing the gift of MANIFESTATION. For those who don't know, this is to hikers what the Force is to Jedi. Focus on what you want and psychically make it come true by implementing the energy of your mind's intention. If it doesn't happen it wasn't meant to be, or you're not a Jedi yet. Begging has nothing to do with it. Experiment with manifestation on trail and you will be amazed, blessed, and you hang on to your self respect. Additionally, as an ambassador for all hikers that follow you maintain our image in the community as positive - we may be hungry, but we are NOT needy.

pilgrimskywheel
05-22-2016, 11:44
34913I like to be in a position where I can ask for work in order to get stuff I need to keep hiking.

CamelMan
05-22-2016, 12:52
How is this different from "grifting" aka "a con?"

It's just flaunting a need to plant a suggestion. If people do this too much it'll probably annoy you. I would never yogi on purpose since it is definitely "semantics".

ScottishLass
05-22-2016, 13:03
Yogi-ing isnt begging.

This is a con.

By your own words you are describing a situation in which a person is manipulating others in order to get something.

I would much, much rather have someone come right out and ask me for something.

MuddyWaters
05-22-2016, 13:11
This is a con.

By your own words you are describing a situation in which a person is manipulating others in order to get something.

Baloney.
You cant manipulate someone by dropping subtle hints
People basically only do what they want to do
They are free to ignore you always.

The only difference from chance is the hiker is hoping this person will want to help.

Asking outright does two things, it reflects poorly on hikers
It puts people on the spot and may help coerce them when they dont really want to do something. They dont want to appear to be aholes.

Subtle hints are free to be ignored, and are, by people that dont want to help.

CamelMan
05-22-2016, 13:30
This is a con.

I wouldn't say it's a "con" but I would say it's a lot like advertising your needs. It's taking advantage of an innate tendency of people to be helpful or meet their inner needs, to influence them. In the same way that advertisers take advantage of people's needs. It works. And it gets annoying really fast.

If somebody is yogiing for something they actually need, that's one thing, and if it wasn't excessive I would be tempted to help them out. But yogiing food or beer would seem underhanded to me. That's not something anybody "needs" on a thru hike. And in any case, I don't see how yogis maintain their sense of self worth except by inflating themselves about how great they yogi, which doesn't improve their image in my eyes.

Lyle
05-22-2016, 13:32
One distinction I would make between a con and yogi is that the giver often feels that they are getting something valuable in return for their kindness. For example:

On a cross-country hike, a number of us took a break under a tree on the side of a road in front of a family's home. Several of the kids came out to talk. We mentioned that we were just going to cook supper, then find a camping spot (this is what we were actually hoping to get an offer of, a camping spot). The kids went inside. Shortly after, Mom came out and invited the hikers to dinner, which soon became offers of doing laundry, dinner for many more hikers as they passed by, and a place to stay for the night.

The next morning, after breakfast with the family, the mom packed up a "goody" bag for each of the hikers containing fruit and snacks to take with us. Included in each of the bags was a personal thank-you note from various family members, expressing their appreciation for the time we spent with them and the stories of our travels we shared. They express the sentiment that they would LOVE to have a similar adventure, but were unable at this time. They stated that sharing the evening with us allowed them to feel they were part of our trip, which of course they were, to a great extent.

Often times folks just like to hear stories and glean some knowledge that they otherwise would not have, often about a trail that runs right through their back yard. To them, a ride or a cold brew is minimal payment for what they receive in return, at least that's what I've been told.

MuddyWaters
05-22-2016, 13:37
The people that walk up and overtly yogi are annoying.

Its a lot like when strangers meet. You ask for a date right away you go home emptyhanded. You take it slow , get to know each other, dance, and by the end of evening you just might get lucky....once they get to know you and if they like you. Its really basically making friends.

pilgrimskywheel
05-22-2016, 14:47
Whoa. Is it me or did things just get a little creepy in here?

Malto
05-22-2016, 16:23
Let's try another one..... I was hiking along and came upon a ground of horse people. We were talking and I innocently commented how nice it would be to have a horse carry your food, you could take anything you wanted. Suddenly out comes a bunch of fresh fruit and they insisted that I partake. That's a yogi.

Cheyou
05-22-2016, 16:54
In Pine Grove Pa I resupplyed at a general dollar, stopped to eat at Mc Donald. Talked a young guy if their was a shortcut back to the 501 shelter. He said no and gave me a ride .

bigcranky
05-23-2016, 06:57
How is this different from "grifting" aka "a con?" I'm honestly asking because I don't see it.

I meet people in urban settings who attempt exactly what you've described. They are invariably mooches/con-artists/scammers who simply apply a different tactic than outright "begging."

Further, what's the trail etiquette surrounding what you're calling "yogi?"

Well, first, don't yogi other hikers. That's not cool at all.

Second, I'm not telling a lie in order to get money, or something else of value. All my experiences with grifters involved them telling outright lies ("I need $23 more for the bus fare back to my dying grandmother's house"). Having lived in a crappy neighborhood where we were some of the very few who had snuck into the lower middle class, we had people ringing our doorbell all the time with outlandish stories, eventually asking for money. Not the same thing.

There is a VERY clear distinction between begging and yogiing. There is more of a fine line between yogiing and trail magic -- I would say that a successful yogi is more akin to putting oneself in a position to be offered something minor by a non-hiker, which (when unexpected) used to be the definition of trail magic.

A lot of hiking terms have changed definitions over the years, as we get many more hikers on the trail. So any sort of illegal camp becomes "stealth camping", and giant organized hiker feeds become "trail magic" and outright begging becomes "yogiing". But that's not what any of those things originally meant.

pilgrimskywheel
05-23-2016, 09:55
So. Anybody want to make a donation to my awareness raising snorkel trip of the Virgin Islands? Rum infused fruit drinks with those little umbrellas are dangerous! People have a right to know - me and our other intrepid consciousness raising ambassadors are ready to bar hop into action. Unfortunately, we're still only fourteen thousand dollars from our goal. So please give generously!

Malto
05-23-2016, 12:22
So. Anybody want to make a donation to my awareness raising snorkel trip of the Virgin Islands? Rum infused fruit drinks with those little umbrellas are dangerous! People have a right to know - me and our other intrepid consciousness raising ambassadors are ready to bar hop into action. Unfortunately, we're still only fourteen thousand dollars from our goal. So please give generously!

That is begging.

Trance
05-23-2016, 12:58
Just watch out for the Ranger.

Dogwood
05-23-2016, 14:50
Manipulation and influence although often perceived as nefarious is done everyday countless times. YES, you do it umpteen times each day too! It doesn't have to be unethical though. Maybe, manipulation and influence become unethical, repulsive, deceptive, annoying, etc when done in deceit or when the heart condemns? You can't hide from yourself. Everywhere you turn there you are. :p