PDA

View Full Version : Cheap solar light project

sellhammer
05-22-2016, 17:22
Was at Home Depot getting boxes for a move and right next to me was a solar powered patio light you stick into the ground. It was $5 i bought it. Started cutting the plastic housing off. After about 15 minutes of hacking i ended up with the solar power pack and the light. I super glued the light to the solar pack and i now have a solar powered light that weighs 7oz. This will never replace my headlamp but might serve as a good option for some ambient light in camp for my SOBO in two weeks also if it is a total failure it only cost me $5. Just wanted to share

scrabbler
05-22-2016, 18:03
I dont know - 7oz for a light you cant even hike with? And to recharge means you stay in sunlight (the woods is little sun). Maybe i'm missing your purpose, but Im not seeing the benefits here.

Red Cinema
05-22-2016, 18:10
I used to carry one of these units on the back of my motorcycle--just stick it into the ground after pitching tent, and voila', a wee little light....

shelterbuilder
05-22-2016, 20:00
Right now, I'm playing with a solar light/battery recharger that could be strapped atop my pack, but I don't know how well it will work, given the nature of the "Green Tunnel". Of course, MY purpose is somewhat dog-related: our latest canine acquisition was an abandoned stray, and I want to be able to "leave a light on" for him, so that if he wakes up in the night, he will be able to see me and know that he hasn't been abandoned again. Wally World has some inexpensive solar lights that put out about 10 lumens, so I'm playing with reducing the bulk and weight of one of these, which runs on a 3.2v AA-sized battery. I haven't checked the weight, but I'm sure that it's more than 7 oz...but for THIS use, I don't care. (And yes, it could also be used to recharge a 1.2v AA NiMH battery, so it COULD do double-duty.)

canoe
05-22-2016, 21:56
https://mpowerd.com/products/luci-emrg?utm_medium=cpc&utm_source=googlepla&variant=14540534275&gclid=CJmvmcKL78wCFVNZhgodvtsMFg

these work very well. 2.4oz

Trailweaver
05-23-2016, 01:10
I just bought one of these, and I LOVE it!!! Lightweight, solar powered, charge lasts a long time, light is bright (and has two settings for brightness, and one "flashing" setting), and not that expensive. What's not to like? I'd never heard of it until I stumbled on it in an outfitter's store, and now I'm going to get some for gifts (emergency lighting for people I know) and for kayaking trips.

saltysack
05-23-2016, 11:04
I don't see the need..I carry a 7 gram photon that hangs inside my tent....plenty of light to eat by etc...use headlamp outside when needed....I'm trying to shed gear that's not essential...just me...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

perdidochas
05-23-2016, 13:54
Was at Home Depot getting boxes for a move and right next to me was a solar powered patio light you stick into the ground. It was $5 i bought it. Started cutting the plastic housing off. After about 15 minutes of hacking i ended up with the solar power pack and the light. I super glued the light to the solar pack and i now have a solar powered light that weighs 7oz. This will never replace my headlamp but might serve as a good option for some ambient light in camp for my SOBO in two weeks also if it is a total failure it only cost me $5. Just wanted to share

Luci Lantern costs $15, and only weighs 4.4 oz, and is IP67 waterproof. (IP67 means that it is resistant against water ingress to a maximum of 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes, as well as protected against dust ingress.). Also has three light modes--full power, low power and flashing.

Kaptainkriz
05-23-2016, 18:41
Zebralight H502W or H52W weighs 2 oz and will burn for 2 months straigjt on a single AA in low mode, which is enought light to see (ish) by...nightlight mode. And is super bright when needed. I like it.

saltysack
05-23-2016, 19:47
Zebralight H502W or H52W weighs 2 oz and will burn for 2 months straigjt on a single AA in low mode, which is enought light to see (ish) by...nightlight mode. And is super bright when needed. I like it.

Yep...my favorite piece of gear! Had it several years and lots of night hikes! Works great on lithium, eneloop rechargeable or cheap batteries. Best headlamp ever! Waterproof....No more cheap plastic ones for me!

Peaks
05-26-2016, 12:09
Luci Lantern costs $15, and only weighs 4.4 oz, and is IP67 waterproof. (IP67 means that it is resistant against water ingress to a maximum of 1 metre of water for up to 30 minutes, as well as protected against dust ingress.). Also has three light modes--full power, low power and flashing.

Empower now makes the EMRG model, 2.4 ounces and $10.00. https://mpowerd.com/collections/shop/products/luci-emrg