PDA

View Full Version : Some tracking apps have disappeared. What do you like to use on your phone?

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2016, 17:33
I just did a full blown reset to fix my Samsung as apposed to replacing it, as I anticipate in a few months of jumping over to Verizon...I can understand why Google My Tracks is unsupported and has disappeared; but just discovered Backpacker Pro - which had issues has gone too.

I see Guthook's got a PCT and other apps out there and they are well rated. i am looking at Geotracker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker) as a well rounded replacement...

What do you like and why?

Greenlight
05-22-2016, 17:38
I plunked down twenty bucks for Gaia GPS for iPhone, but I believe they make it for Android, too. I've been happy. I can put my phone in airplane mode and the app doesn't drain the battery. You will want to download the map of the area you'll be hiking in before taking off, but that isn't difficult to do. I've been happy with it so far.

Here's the track from my hike today. The online tools are pretty powerful, but not the most user friendly in the world. Think early Microsoft vs. Apple

https://www.gaiagps.com/public/15RJfXQsy74zUckxQBgOv1LU/

I just did a full blown reset to fix my Samsung as apposed to replacing it, as I anticipate in a few months of jumping over to Verizon...I can understand why Google My Tracks is unsupported and has disappeared; but just discovered Backpacker Pro - which had issues has gone too.

I see Guthook's got a PCT and other apps out there and they are well rated. i am looking at Geotracker (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.ilyabogdanovich.geotracker) as a well rounded replacement...

What do you like and why?

Wise Old Owl
05-22-2016, 17:41
OK you win... Downloading it now.

-Rush-
05-22-2016, 17:43
I can only speak for the AT version of Guthook, which was excellent for the AT despite missing some landmarks and spots of interest, but I've heard good things about his CDT/PCT apps as well. My favorite overall app is GAIA. It's extremely powerful and loaded with features, and I'm anticipating the next Apple Watch release so I can have all that power on my wrist. It works with the current Apple Watch; I'm waiting for the new watch because they have fixed some issues.

Check out this thread for more info on Guthook.
http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/118726-Guthook-or-awol-digital-guide

Snowleopard
05-22-2016, 19:16
What I used to replace my Tracks for measuring how far I walked is the free version of Endomondo (fitness app). It will track how far you hike plus a lot more forms of exercise. Somebody here on WB liked maprika a lot; this apparently lets you hook up your gps tracks to regular trail maps, including paper maps. Maprika has seemed like a great app for local hikes, but I haven't tried it yet.
For a long distance hike, one of the apps dedicated to that specific trail would probably be best, Guthook's app etc.

canoe
05-22-2016, 21:59
I like guthook

QiWiz
05-23-2016, 11:14
Gaia GPS for iPhone, but I believe they make it for Android, too. I've been happy. I can put my phone in airplane mode and the app doesn't drain the battery. You will want to download the map of the area you'll be hiking in before taking off, but that isn't difficult to do. I've been happy with it so far.

+1

Overall I use Gaia for most of my hikes. Always nice to have a topo map and the GPS to show you where you are on the map. Even better to download a trail track, which then shows you the trail you are following as well.

In addition to Gaia I used Guthook's JMT app for my 2014 thru and liked it a lot. I will be using his Tahoe Rim Trail app this year. Have not used his AT app, but I bet it's worth getting if you are doing the AT. I like to have more than one app when I can as they often compliment each other.

BrianLe
05-23-2016, 11:45
I used Guthook on the Florida trail. I've had both Gaia and BCN (Backcountry Navigator) for quite some time; both of those are in my mind quite distinct from a trail-specific app like Guthook.

I personally use BCN more than Gaia, but both are good. And both are a little tweaky, have a learning curve to get to where things are intuitive and you can use a reasonable subset of their functionality.

I use BCN a lot now, not just for hiking. I'm taking a biking trip soon, and using opencycle maps to do this --- on BCN. Lots of map choices, and BCN at least offers an accuterra map (paid) subscription that I find worth paying for.

Not to take anything away from Guthook, I liked using that on the Florida Trail. I hiked other trails before Guthook was out there, and trails I'm still working on (PNT currently) aren't covered by Guthook, yet at least. BCN (and no doubt Gaia too) does the job, where an actual standalone GPS isn't preferable.

Another Kevin
05-24-2016, 09:33
I used Guthook on the Florida trail. I've had both Gaia and BCN (Backcountry Navigator) for quite some time; both of those are in my mind quite distinct from a trail-specific app like Guthook.

I personally use BCN more than Gaia, but both are good. And both are a little tweaky, have a learning curve to get to where things are intuitive and you can use a reasonable subset of their functionality.

I use BCN a lot now, not just for hiking. I'm taking a biking trip soon, and using opencycle maps to do this --- on BCN. Lots of map choices, and BCN at least offers an accuterra map (paid) subscription that I find worth paying for.

Not to take anything away from Guthook, I liked using that on the Florida Trail. I hiked other trails before Guthook was out there, and trails I'm still working on (PNT currently) aren't covered by Guthook, yet at least. BCN (and no doubt Gaia too) does the job, where an actual standalone GPS isn't preferable.

Another vote for BCN - it's a tough learning curve, but does just about everything I want it to do. A whole bunch of tracks from it have wound up in other places, including ADK's "official" mileage table for the Northville-Placid Trail.

I have yet to get a standalone GPS since I carry my device all the time anyway. Mobile device GPS receivers aren't nearly as wonky as they once were. I carry a 14 Ah brick to recharge on longer outings.

Lars and I have been talking in the last few days about resurrecting TopOSM (http://toposm.ahlzen.com). OpenCycleMap is good for cycling - if you're not colour-blind; I can't read it half the time. It's less good for hiking. It'll never be as effective as an application with an integrated service directory (that's where Guthook excels) but it should be better than the current open solutions - even CalTopo's MapBuilder is lacking in a number of respects. The basemap in https://kbk.is-a-geek.net/catskills/test3.html is kind of a sketch of what such a beast might wind up looking like, but I'd want Lars's artistic eye cleaning it up.

Recalc
05-24-2016, 10:52
I used Guthook on the AT and was pleased with the app’s performance. Took a wrong turn in New York and app got me right back on the trail. Had a technical issue last spring, and Guthook impressed me with their promptness and professionalism. It is great to have on the AT.
On trails near home, I use Backcountry Navigator (BCN). Was overwhelmed at first with all of their “choices”, but once I figured it out, the app did a nice job. Last November, I lost the trail because of all of the fallen leaves. BCN showed me being almost on the trail. That information saved me from a needless chase. They also support their product with a monthly newsletter that is surprisingly good.

ki0eh
05-25-2016, 21:39
You guys got me to download Gaia as the Backpacker GPS Trails was my go-to for ramming around wherever, while wanting the old quads. Strava seems to have been created by people who just don't think how I do. Avenza PDF Maps is good for offline use of many curated maps in geospatial PDF format (including new style quads), if downloaded in advance.

Engine
07-17-2016, 06:47
Do any of these apps allow you to send a position report via text or email? There used to be an app that you could send a coordinate link which opened a map, but I cannot remember what it was and now I'm having a hard time finding any that meet that requirement. I don't need all the bells and whistles, just want to send a position report text home once a day...

Venchka
07-17-2016, 07:42
Guthook's trail apps do that. You can share your location via text message which includes location, link to Google Maps and your own text message.
Wayne

Old. Slow. "Smarter than the average bear."

Engine
07-17-2016, 08:15
Guthook's trail apps do that. You can share your location via text message which includes location, link to Google Maps and your own text message.
Wayne

Thanks, given the other useful features in Guthook's app, it looks like a great choice

theeulogy
03-04-2017, 04:52
I have been using Locus Maps for about 5 years now and love it. It is one of if not the most capable GPS aps for Android. Check it out, and if you like it buy it, its not pricey at all

bayview
05-02-2017, 21:51
Not a tracking app but PeakFinder is pretty cool for identifying peaks and altitudes.

MikekiM
05-08-2017, 14:04
Another vote for GaiaGPS.

Been using it for years. Can't find fault with it. Battery life in my iphone is horrible these days, but that is a Apple shortcoming, not GaiaGPS.

Traillium
05-08-2017, 16:42
Another vote for GaiaGPS.

Been using it for years. Can't find fault with it. Battery life in my iphone is horrible these days, but that is a Apple shortcoming, not GaiaGPS.

Vote for GaiaGPS as well.

(As for phone batteries, I use my phones so much for so many things that after 1 year I notice battery capacity really dropping. I replace phone every 2 years for that reason. A new battery makes a huge difference!

MikekiM
05-08-2017, 16:50
Vote for GaiaGPS as well.

(As for phone batteries, I use my phones so much for so many things that after 1 year I notice battery capacity really dropping. I replace phone every 2 years for that reason. A new battery makes a huge difference!

I often toy with the idea of replacing the iphone, but it is flawless in every respect except battery life.. and to be fair, it is fine for everything except logging my tracks where constant sat pings eat the batter life. I now carry a battery bank on all treks.

Tundracamper
05-08-2017, 17:37
Wayne

Isn't the tracking a new feature? I've used the app many times on the trail, but have not used it for tracking. How well does it perform in a real use case?

guthook
05-09-2017, 11:45
Isn't the tracking a new feature? I've used the app many times on the trail, but have not used it for tracking. How well does it perform in a real use case?

Hey Tundracamper. The tracking in the Guthook apps is new this season (and only on iPhone so far while we decide if it's something people use enough to warrant porting it). I've been using it for all my hikes over the winter while I was testing it, and it worked 99% of the time ;-) The other thing, which I thought was very interesting, was that if I didn't take pictures or use the phone for other things, the GPS tracking only ate about 2-4% battery per hour (on three year-old iPhone 5s).

Venchka
05-09-2017, 11:52
Tracking clarification:
What I knew was last year's version of the App and the Location Sharing Feature. This feature will record your location and message and hold it until you have a cell signal. Then it sends the message without having to do anything.
Apparently Tracking, like Argus and other exercise recording apps, is new. I need to check it out.
Wayne

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

somers515
08-14-2018, 07:53
Any updates on how Guthooks tracking feature is doing in 2018?

Anyone use Strava for tracking their hikes? If so how do you handle a several days long backpacking trip without cell service? Leave it in pause while you are sleeping?

Any other apps that people like for tracking their hikes/backpacking trips? Basically I'd love to be able to turn it on when I start hiking, turn it off when I stop, save the track when I get into town with cell service and be able to see how many miles and elevation gain/loss I did with a cool map of what I hiked as a bonus. All with being able to keep my phone in airplane mode while hiking and not having it use too much battery power. I know I'm greedy!

Leo L.
08-14-2018, 08:08
I'm using Backcountry Navigator for tracking hikes in areas where there is no cell service. Pre-hike, I'm downloading maps of the area.
While the user interface of BN is a bit you-need-to-get-used-to, it works really grat finally.

Yulia
11-04-2020, 10:31
Hi, which app you are using now?

Tennessee Viking
11-04-2020, 11:58
Avenza, Ramblr, Hiking Project, GaiaGPS, AllTrail, US Topo Maps

jefals
08-04-2023, 09:59
Apps like AllTrails and FarOut recommend you download the trail for use "offline". I'm not sure what "offline" means. I always have access to the app's trail, as long as I have GPS. And I usually have GPS whenever my phone is on. Yes, there are RARE times when I don't have GPS, but then - even if I HAVE downloaded the trail - it's pretty much useless since I won't know my location.
I know there's something I'm not getting about all this. Can you help me out? Thanks!

gpburdelljr
08-04-2023, 10:26
Apps like AllTrails and FarOut recommend you download the trail for use "offline". I'm not sure what "offline" means. I always have access to the app's trail, as long as I have GPS. And I usually have GPS whenever my phone is on. Yes, there are RARE times when I don't have GPS, but then - even if I HAVE downloaded the trail - it's pretty much useless since I won't know my location.
I know there's something I'm not getting about all this. Can you help me out? Thanks!
Mapping apps use GPS to determine your location, and GPS works even if you don’t have a cellular connection. To see the actual map, with your position plotted on it, you either need a cellular connection to access the map, or you need to have downloaded the map data previously while you did have a cellular connection.
You will almost always have a GPS connection, unless you are in a deep canyon, or heavy tree cover, without a good view of the sky. A cellular connection can be blocked by many things, and are not nearly as reliable as a satellite connection for GPS.

jefals
08-04-2023, 16:08
I hike with the phone in airplane mode - which I think means no cell or wifi, and I have no problem seeing the trail. I THINK GPS tells me my location, even wo cell or wifi. Am I wrong about that?

gpburdelljr
08-04-2023, 16:25
I hike with the phone in airplane mode - which I think means no cell or wifi, and I have no problem seeing the trail. I THINK GPS tells me my location, even wo cell or wifi. Am I wrong about that?

GPS will give you your location (latitude and longitude) as long as it can “see” the GPS satellites, even in airplane mode. It won’t plot your position on a map in airplane mode unless you downloaded the map while you had cellular service. if you can see your position on the trail when in airplane mode then you obviously downloaded the maps.

jefals
08-04-2023, 16:44
GPS will give you your location (latitude and longitude) as long as it can “see” the GPS satellites, even in airplane mode. It won’t plot your position on a map in airplane mode unless you downloaded the map while you had cellular service. if you can see your position on the trail when in airplane mode then you obviously downloaded the maps.
hmm...Well, if this is true, I appreciate your input and this is becoming much clearer to me.
It's been a long time since I hiked a trail where I needed to check my position - and memory (which is probably wrong) is that I WAS able to see my position in airplane mode. But maybe you're right and I had downloaded the trail. I would have been using FarOut, so I'll poke around in that app and see if I can find a downloaded map...

grubbster
08-05-2023, 07:04
Let me see if I can explain this. When you are on a wifi or cell connection and open a mapping application and see the map for the first time, the whole map does not reside on your phone. It resides in the ether. If you do not download the area you are in and you loose your connection, the map will not update much past what you see on your screen as you travel. If you download the map of the area you are hiking, it then resides on your phone and it will move with you. GPS is independent of wifi and cellular signals and uses the satellites to determine your location. If the map has been downloaded it is fine to put your phone on airplane mode with the GPS on and the map will track just fine.

Leo L.
08-05-2023, 11:43
To add to what has been said already (and to add more to the confusion maybe):
If you did not download the map of the proposed hiking area, and you had a good look to the area in your app just before you start your hike, and you do NOT close the app and NOT switch off your phone completely, the map might still be available even if you leave the area of signal out into the backcountry, because the map data might still sit in the smartphone cache memory.
This effect, while doing good at the moment, might lead you to false assumptions of having the whole data available. But no, the cached data will get lost either when closing the app, or at least when swithing off the phone.

jefals
08-06-2023, 09:27
Thanks Grubbster and Leo. This really clears it up even more and explains (at least I think it does) why I was thinking I could see the trail even without cell/wifi. (cause the part I was interested in was on my phone -- whether permanent or just in cache)....