PDA

View Full Version : Are Neoair Xlite Noise Issues a Big Deal?

Rybir
05-23-2016, 12:26
I'll be doing a section hike of the Sierras in late July.

First time using a sleeping pad. I am a side sleeper mostly. Have some difficulty sleeping (but that might change after 20 miles days).

I read the Neoair Xlite is great but consistently noisy. Is this true? Did Thermarest do anything to possibly address this in newer models.

I am considering the Xtherm only because I come across reports of it being more comfortable and less noisy. I am not too concerned with needing it to stay warm.

Thank you WB!

Malto
05-23-2016, 12:39
I haven't had any issues with noise from either the lite or xtherm. I believe the noise issue mainly dealt with the original neoairs.

Rybir
05-23-2016, 13:10
I haven't had any issues with noise from either the lite or xtherm. I believe the noise issue mainly dealt with the original neoairs.

Cool. Thanks!

hikernutcasey
05-23-2016, 13:11
Agreed. I had the same concern before I purchased mine last year and it is no noisier than any other mattress I've ever owned.

Rybir
05-23-2016, 13:18
Agreed. I had the same concern before I purchased mine last year and it is no noisier than any other mattress I've ever owned.

What a load off. So hard to find info on newer models through reviews. Going to REI today or tomorrow.

saltysack
05-23-2016, 13:20
I own both current models...much improved over earlier version. If your a cold sleeper get the xtherm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MuddyWaters
05-23-2016, 14:48
What noise?

CJOttawa
05-23-2016, 15:22
The current Xlite is made of a softer, more "rubbery" material. Xtherm and All-Season are the "potato chip bag" material still.

I can't imagine finding the Xlite too noisy to sleep on.

Venchka
05-23-2016, 16:07

My experience exactly. My Xtherm Large gives me the best night's sleep ever. The result of a 2 month test.

Wayne

Rybir
05-23-2016, 16:29
Well at least one thing is settled. Xlite it is. Now time to pull trigger on SS1 or Lightgear... 19 sq ft or 30 sq ft.

Venchka
05-23-2016, 17:31
Well at least one thing is settled. Xlite it is. Now time to pull trigger on SS1 or Lightgear... 19 sq ft or 30 sq ft.

There's more to the live ability of a tent than square feet.

Wayne

Rybir
05-23-2016, 17:38
There's more to the live ability of a tent than square feet.

Wayne

Yes sir. And that's why I'm sticking with what my heart has always been set on. SS1.

saltysack
05-23-2016, 17:54
Yes sir. And that's why I'm sticking with what my heart has always been set on. SS1.

Definitely check out the solong6.....very pleased with mine...

Venchka
05-23-2016, 18:04
Definitely check out the solong6.....very pleased with mine...

Thank you for the recommendation. I plan to visit Judy and look at the SoLong 6 in person.

Wayne

Hangfire
05-24-2016, 00:15
I like the potato chip bag reference, you may notice it a little more when you are laying on it in your living room but out in the woods after a long day of hiking it will be the last thing you notice. It's funny how every different brand has it's own distinct sounds, I remember some (with lengthwise chambers) while on the flat shelter floor sounded like someone farting all night.

+1 on the solong6, but remember the xlite will raise you up off the tent floor a couple of inches so it changes the way you will fit in the tent, especially if you are tall or on the upper size limit on the tent.

lemon b
05-24-2016, 03:43
Never noticed any noise from mine. Earplugs are an easy solution.

saltysack
05-24-2016, 07:43
I like the potato chip bag reference, you may notice it a little more when you are laying on it in your living room but out in the woods after a long day of hiking it will be the last thing you notice. It's funny how every different brand has it's own distinct sounds, I remember some (with lengthwise chambers) while on the flat shelter floor sounded like someone farting all night.

+1 on the solong6, but remember the xlite will raise you up off the tent floor a couple of inches so it changes the way you will fit in the tent, especially if you are tall or on the upper size limit on the tent.

True the taller mattress eats up head and foot height....I'm not tall at near 6' if I'm tight on space I put my rain shell over foot box of bag to keep any condensation off.

Rybir
05-24-2016, 11:34
Just bought my Xlite Large from REI. $182 total...which included the $20 REI membership which got me 20% off the Xlite itself.

It has crunch. But I was pretty surprised how comfortable it was. Also the tapered shape works well for me.

The Solemates
05-24-2016, 13:49
I read the Neoair Xlite is great but consistently noisy. Is this true?

no idea. I use it while sleeping.

Kestrelchick
05-24-2016, 16:05
My son and I both have the Xlite and have not noticed any issues with noise - I didn't think there was a chance in the world something so light was going to be comfortable but we both love our Xlites

QiWiz
05-24-2016, 16:55
Not a big issue IMO; what noise there is improves over time. Original NeoAirs were noisier than current models BTW. Only makes noise when you move around. Stay still. You are sleeping anyway.

Rybir
05-24-2016, 19:16
Not a big issue IMO; what noise there is improves over time. Original NeoAirs were noisier than current models BTW. Only makes noise when you move around. Stay still. You are sleeping anyway.

That's what the dude at REI said too. The noise lessens with wear. Thank you.

MuddyWaters
05-24-2016, 19:54
I dont notice any noise. Of course I sleep with ear plugs.

But no one near me complains either. Come to think of it, I usually am camping alone though.

If a neoair in the woods crinkles and no one is there to hear it, does it make a sound?

Venchka
05-24-2016, 19:56
Nope. Another internet myth.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

newtgirl
05-24-2016, 20:34
Also a big fan of my neo air. I've got the old one. It's a little crinkly, but I'm usually too tired to care!

shelb
05-24-2016, 23:34
After looking up reviews from the last year for the NeoAir, I noticed the reviews all said the newer model was redesigned in 2015 and the newer model is quieter than the older one. It is made of a different fabric.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-XLite
There were other reviews - someone rated them top pad of the year - however, I am not finding them at the moment....

Venchka
05-24-2016, 23:44
After looking up reviews from the last year for the NeoAir, I noticed the reviews all said the newer model was redesigned in 2015 and the newer model is quieter than the older one. It is made of a different fabric.

http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Sleeping-Pad-Reviews/Therm-a-Rest-NeoAir-XLite
There were other reviews - someone rated them top pad of the year - however, I am not finding them at the moment....

The same folks gave the Xtherm their Editor's Choice award. That sold me.

Wayne

linus72
05-27-2016, 11:26
i have one i think it was a special edition regular for backcountry so R value is only like 1.5-2 but its not that noisy and its the most comfortable pad ive had. and i use earplugs too so i dont hear much

capehiker
05-27-2016, 11:54
You know what I noticed? When you're around a group of people sleeping, chances are everyone is tossing and turning at some point. Except for the resident snorer. They're usually sound asleep for 10 hours and wake up feeling great.

Vegan Packer
05-29-2016, 05:03
I bought mine last season, so I assume that I have one of the new ones. I consider myself to be a light sleeper, and I have no noise issues.

In that regard, I read on another thread somewhere that one of the things that contributes to the noise is not fully inflating the mattress. This could be another reason why I don't have noise issue, because I tend to inflate mine pretty much fully.

rocketsocks
05-29-2016, 07:17
I'll pay $5 plus shipping for any noisy neo that holds air.

Rybir
05-29-2016, 11:41
I'll pay $5 plus shipping for any noisy neo that holds air.

Suggesting they are crap?

rocketsocks
05-29-2016, 12:23
Suggesting they are crap?not at tall, simply stating that if a noisy neo keeps you at night, I'll take it off your hands if the price is right. Why suffer!

Rybir
05-29-2016, 12:25
not at tall, simply stating that if a noisy neo keeps you at night, I'll take it off your hands if the price is right. Why suffer!

Haha, got you

Lil' Santa
05-31-2016, 22:41
REI's product reviews still remain from the older model neo air. Thermarest changed the material to a softer fabric. I heard the old models were really bad, but I used the Trekker and switched to the Xlite. No noise issues. Other hikers snoring and the rain/thunder are bigger concerns for noise on the AT for me

squeezebox
06-01-2016, 06:44
I do wish they made a reg length in 25"

saltysack
06-01-2016, 07:07

+1...I can't bring myself to take scissors to my large xlite or large xtherm @ 5'11" 210 they are way longer than I need.

Buff
07-30-2018, 10:07
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's kinda noisy... :0 But I toss and turn in my sleep a lot.

Time Zone
07-30-2018, 11:25
I guess I'm the only one who thinks it's kinda noisy... :0 But I toss and turn in my sleep a lot.

No, you're not.

I've slept 20 ft away from another tent with a newer Xlite in there, and I could hear it crinkle through my earplugs (no, I wasn't on an inflatable myself). Another time, I was among 3 other tents that each had one (at least one of which was a newer one, if not all 3) - it was quite the Frito Lay Symphony! :D

This is not to say that the new ones aren't quieter than the old ones - they very well may be. But that's not the same thing as it being a quiet pad.

Just my opinion.

Meenkya
07-30-2018, 11:48
Looking forward to using the two Neo Air Xlites I recently purchased for my HMW trip with daughter this Sept...I read the internet "intel" and figured of all the other positives if there was noise, no big deal. So good to hear it's good to go

trailmercury
07-30-2018, 12:27
https://www.bigagnes.com/Q-Core-SLX?size=16&custcol15=1
Big Agnes does...
pad is 4 oz more than the Xlite long, but 50% thicker (=warmer and more comfortable)