PDA

View Full Version : An Outlier Gear Company

Rybir
05-23-2016, 16:50
Being new here on WB I have received so much help in just less than a week I feel like trying to contribute something besides a future planned donation.

http://outlier.cc/

This company makes VERY GOOD stuff and for a price. I have had the same one pair of New Way shorts for over 2 years now and literally have done everything in them and worn them almost every day during warm days. Barely one thread out of place.

They may appear more fashionable on the surface and not geared towards hiking, but upon closer examine the clothes are unbelievably durable.

I am not sure of my clothing gear for my PCT Sierra section hike in late summer... but I am pretty certain I will get this (waiting for them to email me back the weight and packed dimensions)

http://shop.outlier.cc/shop/retail/grid-linen-towel-4757.html

I do not have any affiliation with the company besides being a customer. Just wanted to share.

CoolBobby
05-23-2016, 17:10
Wow... your right about the price... Looks nice though...

Rybir
05-23-2016, 17:51
Wow... your right about the price... Looks nice though...

They kind of remind me of Zpacks.

egilbe
05-23-2016, 17:52
Prices are more expensive than Patagucci! :eek:

Im sorry, but $120 for a pair of shorts? I'll pass.

jjozgrunt
05-25-2016, 06:22
Price is up there in the clouds! Not for me.

Tuckahoe
05-25-2016, 07:30
Prices are more expensive than Patagucci! :eek:

Im sorry, but $120 for a pair of shorts? I'll pass.

Price is up there in the clouds! Not for me.

All the more laughable when they state --

Profit should never be the reason a company exists. Businesses need money the same way humans need water. It is essential to function, but the less we need to think about it the better off we are. A healthy organization creates value that extends far beyond money and into all points of its operation; from suppliers to employees and from customers into communities.

FatMan
05-25-2016, 08:14
Let me know when they have a buy 1 get four free sale.:eek:

Gambit McCrae
05-25-2016, 08:33
I had to see if this was posted in the Humor sub forum lol. I have been known to drop bones on some pretty ridiculous stuff, but those prices are absolutely outrageous lol

Hikingjim
05-25-2016, 09:18
This looks like a cross between lululemon and REI.
Take a 0 off the end of the prices, and I'll try one. They'd still probably be more expensive than my current nylon shorts

Rybir
05-25-2016, 10:55
This looks like a cross between lululemon and REI.
Take a 0 off the end of the prices, and I'll try one. They'd still probably be more expensive than my current nylon shorts

Well it was worth a share haha.

Connie
05-25-2016, 11:09
I noticed their posh model backpack was sold out!

I browsed the entire website: I liked the photography.

Hikingjim
05-25-2016, 11:25
Well it was worth a share haha.

No doubt. Some people may be interested!

Rybir
05-25-2016, 15:13
I noticed their posh model backpack was sold out!

I browsed the entire website: I liked the photography.

I think the towel could be useful. Contacted them. The large towel is 9.5" in length, has a 3" diameter, and a 9" circumference. It weighs about 10 ounces...Not bad for high quality towel.

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 15:54
What are you planning to do with such a huge towel?

Mags
05-25-2016, 16:28
What are you planning to do with such a huge towel?

“A towel, [The Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy] says, is about the most massively useful thing an interstellar hitchhiker can have. Partly it has great practical value. You can wrap it around you for warmth as you bound across the cold moons of Jaglan Beta; you can lie on it on the brilliant marble-sanded beaches of Santraginus V, inhaling the heady sea vapors; you can sleep under it beneath the stars which shine so redly on the desert world of Kakrafoon; use it to sail a miniraft down the slow heavy River Moth; wet it for use in hand-to-hand-combat; wrap it round your head to ward off noxious fumes or avoid the gaze of the Ravenous Bugblatter Beast of Traal (such a mind-boggingly stupid animal, it assumes that if you can't see it, it can't see you); you can wave your towel in emergencies as a distress signal, and of course dry yourself off with it if it still seems to be clean enough.”

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 16:33
Wow, I never thought it had so many uses — thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Mags
05-25-2016, 16:37
Wow, I never thought it had so many uses — thanks for the info! :rolleyes:

Not a reader, or listener, of cult British SciFi classics I imagine.

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 16:46
Nope... Darwin, Dennett, Dawkins, Diamond (Jared). Only evolution-anthropology people with last names that start with a "D" — pretty narrow niche. Oh and Clelland! lol

But now I gotta get me one of those 10-oz, $50.00 towels. Wow, the stuff you never knew you need.

Mags
05-25-2016, 16:57
Nope... Darwin, Dennett, Dawkins, Diamond (Jared). Only evolution-anthropology people with last names that start with a "D" — pretty narrow niche. Oh and Clelland! lol

But now I gotta get me one of those 10-oz, $50.00 towels. Wow, the stuff you never knew you need.

If you read Dawkins, you really should read Doug Adams. It is a "D" after all...

http://www.theguardian.com/uk/2001/may/14/books.booksnews

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 17:01
I should take a crack at it. That non-obit actually has me quite interested. :)

Mags
05-25-2016, 17:03
I should take a crack at it. That non-obit actually has me quite interested. :)

Dawkins mentions Douglas Adams quite a bit (and dedicated the book to him no less) in what is (arguably) Dawkin's most famous book, too (I won't mention the title as it would probably start a flame war. :O )

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 17:18
Well, hell then, that settles it. :)

Lemme see, possibly one of these books??34936

His watershed was, of course, The Selfish Gene, where at the end he introduced the idea (and, in fact, the word) 'meme'.

Edit: Oh, yeah, I was pretty sure it was the lower one, lol 34937
And I absolutely love that quote.

I would buy a towel with that quote on it.:D

Rybir
05-25-2016, 17:39
Exactly to all. Pretty sure towel is crucial.

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 17:46
Exactly to all. Pretty sure towel is crucial.

Back to Earth... you're not going to find a 10-oz beach towel on a whole lot of gear lists.

Again, exactly what do you intend to use it for? Most people will use something like a Pack Towl (or some such) and even then will cut that in half. A full-sized towel is just cra-cra bulky and heavy.:o

Mags
05-25-2016, 18:34
Being serious, a good sized cotton bandanna is a great all purpose item. Works well as backpacker "towel"...and just as useful as mentioned in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/04/25-mostly-practical-uses-bandana
http://www.journeywoman.com/travel101/bandana.html

$2 or $3 at the most, too.

A Patagucci/Lululemon wannabe towel is overkill.

cmoulder
05-25-2016, 19:43
Being serious, a good sized cotton bandanna is a great all purpose item. Works well as backpacker "towel"...and just as useful as mentioned in the Hitchhiker's Guide.

http://www.outdoorlife.com/blogs/survivalist/2012/04/25-mostly-practical-uses-bandana
http://www.journeywoman.com/travel101/bandana.html

$2 or $3 at the most, too.

A Patagucci/Lululemon wannabe towel is overkill.

Good stuff. I remember in his Ultralight backpackin' tips (http://www.amazon.com/Ultralight-Backpackin-Tips-Inexpensive-Lightweight/dp/0762763841) that M. Clelland! illustrated a bandanna with 2 corners cut off, lol! Well, I personally wouldn't go that far, but as with a lot of things UL it is an example that is more intended to reinforce the mindset than to reduce weight.

George
05-25-2016, 21:51
so the outlier part is that the pricing is 2 standard deviations higher than the norm?

Rybir
05-25-2016, 22:45
so the outlier part is that the pricing is 2 standard deviations higher than the norm?

Precisely ;)