PDA

View Full Version : request for section advice

Beanstalk
05-24-2016, 03:29
Greetings to all...

I am tring to choose a section of the southern part of the trail. From reading assorted trail diaries, etc. I have acquired some impressions which may or may not be accurate:

1) The Nantahalas: I have the idea that this section is quite steep, mostly green tunnel, few open spaces.

2) Hot Springs to Damascus: This area also seems to be steep, but because of the balds, Roan Mt., there are more open spaces here...

3) Southern Virginia: This area has a gentler trail, with some open spaces here and there. However, because it is lower, it probably also has more ticks.

Could anyone please correct or refine these? I would like to choose a section that has some open spaces, at least some of the time...I get rather claustrophobic in areas that are basically mile after mile of trees and non stop green tunnel....Any advice or suggestions much appreciated.....

Many thanks,

Beanstalk

bigcranky
05-24-2016, 07:10
The 60 miles of the Nantahala section from US64 to Fontana Dam is probably the toughest in the South. But there are some nice views, some open balds, and fire towers. It's not all green tunnel, though in the summer there is a lot of that. Staying the night at NOC is nice, get a couple of good meals and a shower halfway through.

Hot Springs to Damascus is a lot longer mileage. Good views from some major southern AT mountains - Beauty Spot, the Roan Highlands, etc. But except for the several-mile stretch of balds in Roan, I don't think it's much different from the other sections. Lots of climbs in the woods punctuated by great views from the top, then back into the woods. The last 70 miles north into Damascus doesn't offer much in the way of views, though it's nice trail.

Hiking the 75 miles from Atkins south to Damascus is nice, a little more gentle, some views and open fields, with a nice stretch of bald mountains in the Mt Rogers area. But again, lots of time in the woods.

I now see you are from Vermont, so you can safely ignore anyone who talks about the "toughness" of any of these sections. They are pancake-flat compared to VT, at least in our experience. I would compare hiking here to, say, going north out of Manchester Center -- climb up in the woods, pop out into the top of a ski resort, ooh and aah at the view, go back down into the woods, repeat. Climb again, take the side trail to the summit, get the view, head back down. The one major difference is the open balds, which are pretty fantastic - a mile or more of open ridgeline, with rocks, grass, tiny bent trees, and sometimes wild horses (in Mt Rogers). Your choice 2 and 3 will have these balds.

How much time do you have and how far do you want to hike?

illabelle
05-24-2016, 07:39
Steep is a relative term. For new hikers just beginning a northbound thru-hike, the hills of Georgia may seem incredibly hard. For a Vermonter like yourself, if you've been hiking in the northeast, particularly the Whites, the hills of Georgia ain't no big deal.
If you don't have one, consider getting a trail guide, www.theatguide.com . Compare the elevation profile in the ATGuide between GA and NH, and you'll see what I mean. Plus, the southern trails are made out of dirt, with a few rocks to hold it in place. Those northern trails seem to be made out of rock with some dirt for decoration. Except when it's a knee-deep mosquito-infested muddy swamp. :)
1) The Nantahalas are beautiful. Mountains and trees are beautiful. The views from the mountaintops or occasional fire towers will take your breath away.
2) The Roan Highland balds are outstanding!
3) I haven't walked all of SW Virginia yet, so can't comment except to say that the highest elevation of VA is Mt Rogers, just a few miles north of Damascus. I'm also aware that some of the more "fun" features of VA (dragon's tooth, others?) are in this section.
Hope you have a good time, wherever you decide to go.

MuddyWaters
05-24-2016, 08:51
Its all pretty much same.
Except for minor areas

Hikingjim
05-24-2016, 08:59
If you do the section near hot springs and want more balds, you could start at max patch instead of hot springs (maybe 20 miles south of hot springs). Then you could also ease into the hike a bit by carrying only a couple days food until you hit hot springs for more supply

Hikingjim
05-24-2016, 09:07
I don't know where you were looking at in south/centrel VA, but I will spew blasphemy and say that the "triple crown" virginia section is nice by highly overrated.

Mcafee knob is a short day hike distance and will no doubt have 30+ people doing selfies. Tinker cliffs is very nice, and the trail surrounding isn't bad. The nice views are pretty short-lived at some of these spots.
The couple shelters north of mcafee are either closed or have a problem bear around it right now though.

jbbweeks
05-24-2016, 10:08
Curious - why you didn't consider the GSMNP section and why no one recommended it?

Tapatalk

Venchka
05-24-2016, 10:35
Curious - why you didn't consider the GSMNP section and why no one recommended it?

Tapatalk

Can't get reservations at the shelters?
Don't want to add to the crowds?

Wayne

jbbweeks
05-24-2016, 10:40
I was just wondering if others were as put-off as me with what was once a favorite hike back in the day! So it's not just me!

Tapatalk

Beanstalk
05-25-2016, 03:09
hi there...many thanks for your note......I have somewhere picked up the idea that the GSMNP section is really crowded, and that the park has lots of rules....I am starting from scratch, as in totally out of shape, after a year of indoor sedentary life going to work and back.....I need to be able to go slowly, at least at first...not sure how flexible your schedule can be in GSNP...
happy trails...Bstk

Beanstalk
05-25-2016, 03:25
Ay.....thanks for the note.....I am a teacher, so I have several months of summer vacay coming up....however, I also have a recent injury, so I am not sure what my walking ability may be like this time around.......I think a very moderate amble for some weeks is most likely..........so the distance is not especially important....but what I would like to avoid is weeks of non-stop tress.....I have spent much of my life in the Sahara and Arabian deserts, so am very used to lots of wide open space....days and days of nothing but forest freaks me out a bit....
many thanks for your advice....will ponder it for a spell.....Bnstk

RockDoc
05-25-2016, 09:29
You can't get away from "steep" on the AT. If that scares you, go elsewhere, like the C&O canal or the Florida Trail.

Venchka
05-25-2016, 10:13
Big Bend National and State Parks.
The CDT above tree line in the Weminuche Wilderness.
Lots of wide open spaces.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.