PDA

View Full Version : more light

squeezebox
05-25-2016, 11:12
With more light day by day now, How much time do you hike every day. I was up at 5:30 in the garden. I don't think it got dark until 9:00 or so. So there's plenty of light out there. I'm in St. Louis Mo. If you started Apr 1 or earlier your endurance should be good by now.
So I'm asking about time spent on breaks, time hiking, and such.
Just curious!!

;

garlic08
05-26-2016, 00:14
I started my SOBO CDT hike on June 21. It's twilight until around 10:30 up there, and getting light again around 5 am, potentially a 17+ hour hiking day. I'd hike two hours, usually 5 miles, and take a good break. On those long days it's easy to repeat that five or six times, maybe more. By mid-July, with good trail legs and decent conditions, I could hike 90 to 100 miles between resupplies with only two nights out.

saltysack
05-26-2016, 06:15
DOG DAYS of summer are hear!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4shot
05-26-2016, 06:50
I go to bed and get up with the sun when hiking. I never night hike - for several reasons. One,I simply cannot hike, stop, set up and then go straight to sleep. I need about an hour after I set up to cook, clean up and decompress around camp. For the same reason, I cannot go to the gym or indulge in any type of exercise in the evening when off the trail. Since I dislike setting up in the dark and need to budget the down time, I probably stop earlier than most LD hikers. But I am asleep earlier.

bigcranky
05-26-2016, 07:34
In the summer we're up and hiking by 6am, mostly because we're slow, but also so we can take a long break in the middle of the day to avoid the heat.

garlic08
05-26-2016, 08:01
DOG DAYS of summer are hear!!!

One of the useless astronomy facts stuck in my head is that the Dog Days are in August. That's when the the Dog Star, Cirius, is prominent at sunrise. I do like those mornings.

rafe
05-26-2016, 08:04
In the summer we're up and hiking by 6am, mostly because we're slow, but also so we can take a long break in the middle of the day to avoid the heat.

That works for me, in the hottest weather. Early morning and late afternoon are the best times to walk. Take a nice long break in the shade during the hottest part of the day. That's what the siesta is all about -- practiced in many parts of the world where it gets really hot.

saltysack
05-26-2016, 08:09
One of the useless astronomy facts stuck in my head is that the Dog Days are in August. That's when the the Dog Star, Cirius, is prominent at sunrise. I do like those mornings.

My comment was a joke. He's always busting everybody's balls about dogs on the trail so I couldn't resist

Pedaling Fool
05-26-2016, 08:15
I love observing the :sun get higher in the sky everyday, but once it hits its zenith and starts moving the other way I get :(

garlic08
05-26-2016, 11:07
My comment was a joke. He's always busting everybody's balls about dogs on the trail so I couldn't resist

Of course--now I see the emphasis. Good one.