PDA

View Full Version : Mail drop strategy

skylark
01-01-2006, 19:20
What kind of foods would you send in a mail drop?
Treats? Staples that are hard to find elsewhere?
How much food would you send?

My usual breakfast at home is 50% rolled oats/50% raisins eaten from a widemouth bottle, dry (not cooked), so that should work on the trail as well. For lunch, crackers with tuna, cheese, maybe just more oats and raisins. I figure I will make a lot of instant rice one pot meals and some mac and cheese/instant mix packages for dinner.

The maildrops would have to be dry stuff or stuff that doesn't go bad. I'm thinking between 5 and 10 lbs in the maildrop to make sure I leave room for grocery store purchases on the trip to town. The maildrops would be called in two weeks or so in advance.

What I think needs to go in the mail drop:
Things that would be expensive in towns
Things that you can't get in town
Things that you can get better quality at a health food store
Things that are dry and don't go bad
Staples that mean you can always cook a meal, even if it is just a basic meal without fresh stuff

Here is what I am thinking of preparing ahead of time and having ready to send out:

1lb rolled oats
1lb raisins
1lb jerky
1lb instant brown rice
1lb soynuts
ritz crackers
small packet of assorted spices (dried bell pepper, dried onion, dried garlic, cumin, curry, ginger, italian seasoning, buillion, salt, ketchup packets, soy sauce packets)
tea
iodine tablets (water purifier)
vitamins
Also: labels to allow me to send the box back home (or forward to next stop) with anything I don't want to carry.
Maybe: packages of tuna, chicken, etc., snacks, candies

Buy in town:
cheese, tuna, chicken, eggs, fresh veggies, snacks, garlic, treats, package meals (mac n cheese, etc). Go out for pizza!

Does this sound like a good strategy?

Peaks
01-02-2006, 09:28
Unless you have special needs, such as prescription medicine, I would suggest that you plan each resupply for either a mail drop, or grocery resupply. Do one or the other. No need to plan your life around post offices, and then also go to a store. It's redundant.