PDA

View Full Version : Connecticut section without a car: transport and timing?

Mayday_Belle
05-25-2016, 14:28
My wife and I are planning to hike the Connecticut section of the AT over a long July 4th weekend. We can take four days off work, possibly stretching to five if absolutely necessary. We're both experienced hikers in good shape.

The big downside: we don't have a car. We live in Brooklyn and can get to the southern end of CT fairly easily (train to Pawling followed by a taxi to the trailhead). However, I'm not sure how we'll get back, or how long the CT section will take. Public transport seems pretty sparse around the north end.

I would be very grateful for advice on how long this section took you, what are the optimal shelters, and how we might get ourselves back to New York. Many thanks!

Gambit McCrae
05-25-2016, 14:54
Hey call my buddy Jess. She isn't really a buddy but a shuttle and small hostel owner, more like a hiker caregiver. she is very close to Salisbury CT fi that would help? She picked me up from Hartford CT and even picked me back up 50 miles later after I came down with a virus from Jersey airport.

860-248-5710

Mayday_Belle
05-25-2016, 15:35
That's awesome - thanks! It looks like there's a bus that goes from New Canaan to NYC so we might be in the clear transport-wise, but it's good to know there's help if needed.

I guess the only unknown now is how long the CT section will take to hike. We can move at a decent speed but don't want to kill ourselves. It might be smarter to take the full 5 days.

tiptoe
05-25-2016, 15:45
Peter Pan bus from Sheffield or Great Barrington (both in SW Massachusetts and not far from the AT). goes into nyc, I believe.
peterpanbus.com

perrito
05-25-2016, 15:48
What tiptoe said. 👍

adamkrz
05-25-2016, 15:59
New Canaan is not close to the A.T, But Canaan is.. I got these mixed up years ago on a service call and the boss wasn't happy.

Mayday_Belle
05-25-2016, 15:59
Very helpful, thanks. It looks like this bus also goes from New Canaan, so there are plenty of options.

Would you say the CT section is a 4 or 5-day hike, assuming we're not trying to burst a blood vessel to finish it quickly?

perrito
05-25-2016, 16:14
It's 65.4 miles from Hoyt Road to US 7 in Massachusetts. Connecticut isn't flat.
I personally have that trip worked out as 6 days and 5 nights. You have to look at your own comfort level and available camping spots and work out your own plan.

BillyGr
05-26-2016, 21:53
Just spotted this post, which might help you out:

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119103-Shuttle-available-in-Connecticut

Since your last post still referred to NEW Canaan, note that is the one NOT close to the trail. What you want to look for is Canaan.

Also to follow the last reply - you can cut it a bit shorter on the end as US 7 is around 14 miles past the CT/MA line. While there is no access directly at the line, there are at least a couple side trails close to it that bring you out to a road (I think Rt. 41 in most or all cases) where a fairly easy pickup could be made to bring you to any of the towns nearby.
CT itself is around 52 miles total, and has been done in 5 days (as a Scouting award to cover 50+ miles in 5 (or more) days) so that seems reasonable as a plan.
Note also that while not flat, there IS a 5 mile section (listed in guides with River Road on both ends) that follows an old dirt road along the river, so the day with that could be one to add a few extra miles if you want to cut the last day's hike to be shorter to give extra time getting back.

Hummy585
05-27-2016, 07:35
I may be able to assist with some shuttling on either end. (is that even a word?) I think if you had access to a flexible shuttle, get on trail and head north as far as comfortable, supplies hold up and time permits. As BillyGr states, there are several jump off spots on the north end of CT.
Also there is an official AT stop on the Harlem line, just north of Pawling, you could jump off and hit the trail right accross the road. It adds a few miles in NY, but its a nice hike.

gsingjane
05-27-2016, 07:52
Welcome from a former Brooklyn-ite!

There isn't any public transportation at all along the AT in Connecticut. The best you can reasonably expect to do is to hike 1-2 days further into Massachusetts and catch a bus out of Great Barrington, as one of the other posters noted. That will affect your hike planning because it definitely isn't "just over" the state line. Do not confuse New Canaan with Canaan. New Canaan is a Fairfield County town, just north of Darien, and not anywhere remotely close to the AT.

Jane

linus72
05-27-2016, 10:33
check out this thread he just offered shuttles in CT http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119103-Shuttle-available-in-Connecticut

Mayday_Belle
05-27-2016, 14:55
Sorry, I have no idea why I kept typing New Canaan when I knew full well that wasn't the right town. Anyway, here's a tentative itinerary based on Guthook's app and your help in this thread. Hopefully the miles are reasonable based on the elevation.

Day
Start
Mile
Destination
Mile
Miles hiked

Trailhead - 621 Hoyt Road
Mt. Algo shelter

Mt. Algo shelter
Caesar Brook Camp Site

Caesar Brook Camp Site
Falls Village: Lunch & Camp behind Toymaker's Café (https://www.facebook.com/Toymakers-Cafe-190664957654987/)

Falls Village
Brassie Brook shelter

Brassie Brook shelter
Undermountain trailhead (http://berkshirehiking.com/hikes/undermountain.html)

I figure we'll taxi to and from the trailheads, getting the Pawling train outbound and the Peter Pan bus from Canaan on the way home. That's good to know about the kind person offering shuttle rides, though - I will send them a PM.

perrito
05-27-2016, 23:53
Consider using Uber. Check their website for point to point fare estimates. Also, if you're a new customer you get $22 off your first ride. Perhaps setup your account just in case you need it.

Rain Man
06-01-2016, 14:48
I would be very grateful for advice on how long this section took you, what are the optimal shelters, and how we might get ourselves back to New York. Many thanks!

I just returned last night from hiking CT and MA the last two weeks. Give me a call if you'd like and I can sit with my maps and notes and tell you all about my recommendations, having just been there. I'll PM you my cell number.

Rain Man

Mouser999
06-01-2016, 15:12
Yes you're still wrong��������