PDA

View Full Version : SMD Lunar Solo or other light weight tents?

SkeeterPee
05-25-2016, 21:33
I currently have a Kelty Grand Mesa 2 and with groundsheet. It weights close to 6 lbs. I would like to get a tent under 2 lbs.

I have been looking at the Six Moons Design lunar solo. At 24 oz it sounds like I would be under 2lbs with stakes and Tyvek ground cover. Their website does a poor job showing the size of a 5 sided tent. I guess the 90in x 48 in is at the length of the bathtub x the widest spot of bathtub. Is that right for those that own this? how wide is it at head and foot. It does not show this in the specs. But it looks like there would be enough room to have my bag inside and "live" in the ten on a rainy day.

Any other similar tents at 2 lbs that is like a 1.5 person size? I don't want one the is barely big enough for 1 person. I am also not willing to spend $500 for 2 person cuben fiber tent at this time. Maybe some day in future if I want to go very light.

Feel free to comment on this or other light tents.

DLP
05-25-2016, 22:12
I have a Lunar Solo. Lengthwise: I am only 5'2" and I find it the perfect length for me. I don't think that it would be comfortable for a tall person. I have seen similar posts from other relatively short people who own the tent. It is a good tent for short people. The problem is the slope of the tent roof and it hitting your head and feet while you are laying down. You might have (approximately) 80" of actual floor length, but only 65" or 70" of it might be usable - sort of like an A frame room. (Hope this makes sense...)

Side to side... there is a TON of room for a pack or a dog.

Sitting up... the website says that it is 48" tall. This is accurate and I think that it has a lot of sitting up space.

It also has a HUGE vestibule, and I love the side entrance.

I have used it and put it up about 20 days and still have trouble getting it very taut. It is easy and fast to set up. But you can spend hours tweaking it, attempting to get ALL of the sides taut.

I have used it in torrential rain right on the Pacific Ocean in CA in a winter storm. I've also used it in Tahoe summer rain. I really like it in the rain and I had no leaking nor condensation issues. Only down side, it is silnylon - thus it stretches in the rain. And I kind of hate that.

You can find YouTube videos or Google Images that can give you a good idea of the Lunar Solo.

I also have a Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1. However, I can't really give an accurate review because I got rid of the tent poles and have cut on the tent to get it down to less than 1.5 lbs. I've pretty much turned it into a bug bivy on steroids and the fly into a tarp. I pitch it with a hiking pole. I hate how small it is for 2 mins in the evening and 2 mins in the morning and never hate how small it is when it is on my back.

The Fly Creek 1 is not 1.5 sized (even if you don't cut on it...:)). My sister has a two person Fly Creek UL2... and she loves it (and she hasn't cut on it nor has she thrown away the poles). It is only a couple of oz more than the one person and very close to 2 lbs. But don't know if you would be happy in it on a rainy day...

Fly Creeks have coated nylon and don't stretch when wet. Love that.

Venchka
05-25-2016, 22:15
No worries about a $500 2 person cuben tent. They cost $600.
Go to TarpTent.com. Several USA made tents around 2 pounds, + or -, affordable, adequate space. Many happy customers.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.

DLP
05-25-2016, 22:47
No worries about a $500 2 person cuben tent. They cost $600. LOL!

I haven't wanted to modify or cut and resew the Lunar Solo to make it lighter or "improve" on it. :)

-Rush-
05-25-2016, 23:15
Lightheart Gear makes the Solong6 in cuben fiber for under $500. If you've ever read Balls and Sunshine's trail journals (father/daughter triple-crowners) they used the tent. It's HUGE inside.

Lightheat Cuben Fiber SoLong6
Weight: 22 Ounces
Price: $476
This is truly a Hybrid between a single and double wall tent. There is a door and small vestibule on each side. On starry nights, we'd roll up the doors and enjoy the stars from behind the netting. At 22 ounces, It is sold as a one person tent, but we used it as a double. Beacon had the same tent and we noticed that two people create more condensation than one does. This tent is made of light weight Cuben Fiber, but LightHeart's quality workmanship lasted throughout our entire 3,100 mile CDT hike.

SkeeterPee
05-25-2016, 23:46
Venchka,

Which Tarptent do you think is similar to SMD Lunar Solo or the Solong 6 mentioned by another. Both of those are for 1 with extra space. and under 2 lbs. Which Tarptent is similar? The stratosphere 1 might work if you lower the screening creating more floor space.

Am I missing a light 1+ tent?

DLP
05-26-2016, 00:52
PS... I have an older Lunar Solo and the revised model may have more vertical walls and be better when laying down.

Venchka
05-26-2016, 05:20
Lightheart Gear makes the Solong6 in cuben fiber for under $500. If you've ever read Balls and Sunshine's trail journals (father/daughter triple-crowners) they used the tent. It's HUGE inside.

Verify this with Judy at LightHeart Gear. I don't think that cubes is offered anymore.

Wayne

Venchka
05-26-2016, 05:26
Venchka,

Which Tarptent do you think is similar to SMD Lunar Solo or the Solong 6 mentioned by another. Both of those are for 1 with extra space. and under 2 lbs. Which Tarptent is similar? The stratosphere 1 might work if you lower the screening creating more floor space.

Off the top of my head, without wading through all of the dimensions, Rainbow, StratoSpire 1 & Scarp 1. The StratoSpire & Scarp are over the weight limit, but are superior foul weather shelters and full double wall tents. Both are available with solid wall inner tents.
I'm seriously shopping for a new tent. SMD products fell off of my shopping list a long time ago. I feel that LightHeart Gear and TarpTent offer superior products made in the USA.

Wayne

HeartFire
05-26-2016, 05:28
LightHeart Gear does not work with cuben fiber any longer. I quit using it about 2 yrs ago (maybe longer). Silnylon only.

Venchka
05-26-2016, 05:53
Venchka,

ProTrail & Notch under 2 pounds. Both appear to offer more sheltered volume than the SMD Lunar Solo. Using just the fly from the TarpTent double wall tents is a plus.

http://www.nielsenbrownoutdoors.com/2012/09/reflections-on-use-of-tarptent-notch-in.html

You have to look at the total package, not just the ounces.

Wayne

Don H
05-26-2016, 06:15
I used a Lunar Solo on my thru 5 years ago, and still use it for section hikes and weekend camping. There's plenty of room for the average height person and also your pack. I've found the tent to be very durable and easy to set up.

bigcranky
05-26-2016, 07:36
Venchka,

Which Tarptent do you think is similar to SMD Lunar Solo or the Solong 6 mentioned by another.

The Notch might work. It's not huge inside, but it has two big doors and two big vestibules. Weighs ~24 oz. I had an original Moment which was around 2 pounds, and had a ton of room inside.

Venchka
05-26-2016, 08:39
The Notch might work. It's not huge inside, but it has two big doors and two big vestibules. Weighs ~24 oz. I had an original Moment which was around 2 pounds, and had a ton of room inside.

Add the versatility of using the fly alone when insects are not a concern.
Two doors-two vestibules in bad weather hopefully means one side of the tent is protected from the nasty weather.

Wayne

Connie
05-26-2016, 08:39
I just purchased the recent version of the silnylon SMD Deschutes tarp.

The dimensions at the SMD website only show 1" difference in overall pitched width between the Deschutes tarp and the Lunar Solo.

The SMD website has a PDF with pitching instructions, for efficiency of setup.

I am 5'6" and my TiGoat Bug Bivy is 76" overall length. If incorrect, I will measure it again.

I don't have a problem touching the sides, when I stretch, still inside it, in the morning or when I lay down. I like to stretch. It feels good. I do sleep all night in the same spot as I started, in spite of the fact I try each side before I settle in to sleep. No problem touching the sides.

Here is my under 2 lbs. tarp and tent webpage: http://www.ultralightbackpackingonline.com/shelter1a.html

There are, of course, more cuben tarps and tents and tipis to choose from.

There are other new models in other specialized materials as well, for the most part, from the same websites.

I apologize: I haven't updated my website in awhile.

SkeeterPee
05-26-2016, 11:00
I do like double wall tents so that is a plus but I like having my bag inside so I can get things out of it easily. yes the vestibules are big on stratosphere 1 and other Tarptents, but I don't think your bag can fit inside with you unless there is enough headroom for it. I am 5ft10in. Am I wrong, do people fit there bags inside with notch and other 1 person Tarptents? The solong 6 seems to have plenty of inside room but little in actual vestibule if the awning is not up.

Venchka
05-26-2016, 12:23
Various web references to folks hanging their packs from the trekking poles in the Notch, StratoSpire, etc.

Wayne

Venchka
05-26-2016, 12:25
...or stashing their bike in one of the vestibules of the StratoSpire.

Wayne

SkeeterPee
05-26-2016, 16:09
the Stratospire 1 shows $309 on its spec page, but is 329 if you add to cart.

Franco
05-26-2016, 18:45
the Stratospire 1 shows $309 on its spec page, but is 329 if you add to cart.
When you order you have 3 choices for the inner
mesh inner $309 (you need to select one inner...)
solid inner $329
both inners $429
under extras you can also but fly only $230
franco@tarptent

SkeeterPee
05-26-2016, 19:27
When you order you have 3 choices for the inner
mesh inner $309 (you need to select one inner...)
solid inner $329
both inners $429
under extras you can also but fly only $230
franco@tarptent

That must be what happened. I thought I selected mesh, but now see it brings up $309.

There is a spot for Coupons, Are there any current ones?

MuddyWaters
05-26-2016, 19:28
Deschutes, gatewood cape, lunar solo, wild oasis, etc are all the same basic design, because its a good single pole design. It holds taught, sheds wind well.

Lunar solo LE (which was a botched run of the lunar solo using heavier material by accident) is a good bargain at $180

Franco
05-26-2016, 23:43
That must be what happened. I thought I selected mesh, but now see it brings up $309.

There is a spot for Coupons, Are there any current ones?

Never noticed that before. I am not aware of Tarptent having ever had coupons , could be there for multiple orders, we do offer a small discount for qty buying.

Singto
05-27-2016, 00:50
The SMD Lunar Solo is a great shelter. When hiking solo, I avoid shelter designs that require two trekking poles or proprietary pole configurations for set up. Do compare floor space, vestibule size and be weary of people touting excessive head room as usable space, it usually means the shelter's floor space/vestibule area is lacking at a higher price than others. Finally, be careful, there are manufacturer shills on White Blaze, which I am not one of them. Good luck on your shelter search.

Franco
05-27-2016, 01:50
manufacturer shills on White Blaze[/B], which I am not one of them. .

Really ?
Do you have any examples to share ?

-Rush-
05-27-2016, 06:52
LightHeart Gear does not work with cuben fiber any longer. I quit using it about 2 yrs ago (maybe longer). Silnylon only.

Thanks for the update.

SkeeterPee
05-27-2016, 09:43
So now I am down to comparing the Light Heart Solong 6 vs the Tarptent Stratospire1. Stratospire 1 gives you huge vestibules, but less interior room. Though you can drop the net and add more floorspace. Solong 6 has small vestibules for boots, but much more interior space with plenty of room for a bag at head or foot.

If I was tall it would make a difference, but at 5/10 either is long enough.

On Solong 6 can you open up either "half" of a vestibule. Pictures and vids always seem to show it completely open on both sides. can you have it half open on each side? I think with tarptent any of the 4 openings can be separately rolled up.

I know one is fully 2 walled tent and other is mostly 2 walled.

Any other considerations? As an old person I am always pretty stiff waking up in middle of night or morning. Either tent easier to get out of/into?