PDA

View Full Version : MontBell Thermawrap or Patagonia Micro Puff

irritable_badger
01-01-2006, 21:27
I have decided to replace my jacket as the one I have now is down and I don't want to be cold when it gets wet. Can you guys give me your opinions on the MontBell U.L. Thermawrap vs. the Patagonia Micro Puff? The MontBell is so much lighter (by 12ozs) and cheper (by at least $22) but I would like to have the opinions of others who may have used them. My biggest concern is which will serve me best at camp just sitting around. I would much prefer to be warm at the end of a long day. I am leaving the third week in March, will I carry this jacket the entire trail or can you suggest something else for the warmer months but still cool nights later in the year?

peter_pan
01-01-2006, 21:53
I really like my Montbell thermowrap...wear it every day...it is plenty warm into the thirties easy with a t-shirt...

save the bulk and bucks.

Pan

Whistler
01-01-2006, 22:09
The MicroPuff jacket would be more than I would want or need for 3 seasons on the AT. The MicroPuff pullover at 12oz will be a good bit warmer, but more difficult to ventilate. Add in that its inherently more difficult to get on and off. It's a fantastic product, but I don't think it's a good fit for the AT.

The new model Thermawrap jacket won't be as warm, but some good layers in the fringe seasons will see you through the coldest. It also has a better feature set: hand pockets and full zip, and about 3oz less. I think the Thermawrap is a better AT pick for those reasons--easier to adjust to warmer temperatures, and pockets make it more 'loungeable.' You could definitely use the jacket over the whole trail. The Thermawrap vest at 4oz is a good alternate summer pick. And you can combine the two for about as much weight as a MicroPuff for when you really need it....

Note that the Thermawrap is on sale at CampSaver for $110. And I believe Patagonia.com has a few closeout MicroPuffs for $73. MEC also makes their very respectable NorthernLite pullover, and we have a good exchange with the $Canadian right now.

-Mark

verber
01-02-2006, 22:42
Hmm... 12oz weight different!? I am guessing that you are comparing the thermawrap to the micro puff full zip jacket which has a full hood. These two jackets aren't even in the same league. If you switch your comparision to the Patagonia Micro Puff Pullover (11.8oz) then you will find that the thermawrap just 2.3oz lighter (in size L). The Micro Puff has almost 2x the loft and is significantly warmer. The Micro Puff is also cheaper if you pick it up on sale ($73 on the Patagonia Web Specials, sometimes even cheaper as Patagonia Outlets).

As to which one... depends on how much warmth you want. I own both, but the Micro Puff doesn't come out except in the middle of winter. It's just too warm for me. The Thermawrap seems a bit warmer than a 200wt fleece, the Micro Puff feels noticably warmer than a 300wt fleece. For me, the Micro Puff keeps me toasty warm to around 5F just sitting around (assuming hat, scarf, etc). I don't like using it above around 30F.

--Mark

--mark

MarcnNJ
01-11-2006, 11:51
I have the micropuff pullover, and i love it....I plan on carrying it for the first few weeks of my thru starting on march 13th....It is killer warm, so i never wear it while hiking, but at camp at night with a long sleeve midweight capilene, and im good.......the 30 degree mark is about right......

Bblue
01-11-2006, 12:50
I looked into these this fall and ended up with the following.

13.6 oz Thermawrap Parka L (Exceloft 2.6 oz/yd2) has a hood $165
11.4 oz Micropuff Pullover M (Polarguard Delta 2.6 oz/yd2) $90
9.2 oz BMW Cocoon Pullover L (Polarguard Delta 1.8 oz/yd2) $169 to members

These are current prices, not what I paid. You can see the Micropuff is definately the best deal.

Although you would think the lighter weight Cocoon wouldn't be as warm as the Micropuff, so far I think they're about the same. The Quantum Pertex fabric on the Cocoon is soft and comfortable. I like this one the best for look and feel and lightness. The Parka is by far the warmest and it is the only one with handwarmer pockets and a hood. The invisible zippers on the Parka are different and take a while to get used to. Not good for fumbling cold fingers.

If money wasn't a concern I'd get the Cocoon. Better get in line though, I had to wait months. http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/cocoon_pullover.html

Bang for the buck its the Micropuff. http://cgi.ebay.com/NWT-Patagonia-MicroPuff-Pullover-Size-M-Originally-145_W0QQitemZ8370559140QQcategoryZ57988QQssPageNam eZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Best warmth, the Thermawrap Parka. https://www2.montbell.com/america/asp/products/Spg_shosai.asp?cat=2002&hinban=2301278

As others have noted Thermawrap and Micropuff come in a variety of incarnations; jackets, pullovers etc. You may want to consider all. Look at the fill weight as it will vary from product to product even within a brand. Sizing on the Thermawraps runs small.

Hope this was a help. I also researched insulated pants if anyone's interested. I use my insulated gear to boost my sleeping bag's comfort range.

Footslogger
01-11-2006, 12:59
I own a MicroPuff vest now and it IS pretty warm but based on my experience on a thru in 2003 I would say it would be ideal in the beginning and end of the hike. I carried a similar vest (MEC Primaloft) on my hike from Springer to Pearisburg and then got it back again in Glencliff (along with my warmer sleeping bag and other clothes). It was perfect and when I didn't need it at night I used it as a pillow. It is true that they don't vent very well, even with the half zip, but for those cold mornings and evenings it was just what the doctor ordered.

Don't have any experience with the MontBell garment so my comments above are not from a comparative standpoint.

'Slogger

Philip Jones
01-04-2008, 14:28
Anyone know where the Micropuff is made these days? It just says "imported" on the website.

tlw08
01-04-2008, 20:05
A new variation on an old question:

MontBell Thermawrap Parka vs Patagonia Micro Puff Hoodie?

Both are hooded versions of their previous incarnations.

Thermawrap 12.7oz $154
Micro Puff 21.1oz $171

turtle fast
01-04-2008, 21:48
Check out REI's website...they have a 12 oz primaloft jacket that has removable sleves to function as a vest too....the Spruce Run. I have just ordered on for my thru. With the removable slezes, as a vest it just gives you that many more options. My blue one was $104 brown too, some other colors are more $149.