PDA

View Full Version : Bad at directions

Zman
05-26-2016, 07:38
Bad at directions. If someone can please help me, I am looking to hike the AAT next year as it through hiker. I have not hiked for probably 30 years. I have a tendency to get lost. LOL. How often are there white blazes seen on the trees on the trails? Is this something I should be concerned about?

4shot
05-26-2016, 08:00
the trial is extremely well blazed. That being said, I have found myself off trail a time or two when there was an intersection with another trail and I wasn't paying attention. walking for hours at a time by yourself in the woods can lull you into a trance. I always carry maps and a compass so I always managed to get back to the trail without backtracking. I always said that if I dropped a $100 bill on the ground during my thru hike, I wouldn't walk more than 50 yards SOBO to retrieve it.

MuddyWaters
05-26-2016, 08:20
At least every 1/4 mile, if not every 100 ft.
As long as on a trail, and havent come to intersection, dont need em. Not permitted in wilderness areas.

rafe
05-26-2016, 08:29
Most of the trail is well blazed, but the blazes are a bit irregular. Sometimes it seems there are too many, other times too few. In the woods it's hard to get lost -- unless you step off the trail, to honor nature's call, for example.

The woods can be very dense in places, so get your bearings and keep your eye on your pack when you leave the trail for that purpose.

The other place it gets confusing at times is when the trail meets a road or parking lot and you can't see the opposite trailhead from wherever you stepped out of the woods. Sometimes there's a short roadwalk involved. It could be fifty feet, or it could be a quarter mile. I've gotten mildly lost many times.

If you haven't seen a blaze in five of ten minutes, it's time to slow down and check your location. Often it helps to look over your shoulder for blazes aimed at hikers coming from the opposite direction.

moldy
05-26-2016, 08:45
Some clubs do good with the blazing Some , not so good. Look at blazing as an aid to navigation. One tool in a box. If you are bad at navigation and blazing is all you got then you could have problems. I have several tools and still manage to get off trail. Maps,compas etc do help. I have found that paying attention and keeping my brain focused is the most important element. If you walk along willy nilly grooving to the tune in your ear buds for 12 hours a day you will get lost.

illabelle
05-26-2016, 08:58
Zman, there's a sad discussion here on WhiteBlaze about a hiker who died a couple of years ago after getting lost. One of the big lessons is as Rafe said above, always carry maps and a compass. The trail is well blazed, but for those directionally-challenged like yourself, it's irresponsible to rely on the white blazes alone.

By the way, you may wish to edit your location to be a little less specific.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/25/hiker-who-died-after-disappearing-from-appalachian-trail-survived-for-weeks/KAcHuKSdYVHNTNu0qQobvK/story.html?event=event12

imscotty
05-26-2016, 09:05
If you have missed the trail, but you know where you just came from, I think the smartest thing to do is ALWAYS go back in the direction you came from. You know where you saw that last blaze, now go back and figure out what went wrong. This is no time for someone with poor navigation skills to start trekking cross country. Better to hike ten minutes in the opposite direction than to be lost for hours or days.

Zman
05-26-2016, 09:13
Thank you. And I did just edit my location. As you can see I am new at this.

rafe
05-26-2016, 09:16
Zman, there's a sad discussion here on WhiteBlaze about a hiker who died a couple of years ago after getting lost. One of the big lessons is as Rafe said above, always carry maps and a compass. The trail is well blazed, but for those directionally-challenged like yourself, it's irresponsible to rely on the white blazes alone.

I didn't say that, but probably should have. Always carry a map and compass. I've never had to use the compass, but it could be a lifesaver.

Sometimes I'm amazed that more people aren't seriously lost on the AT. I can tell you I was pretty nervous hiking with my young nephew in Maine years ago. One thing to get lost myself, another to lose my sister's kid. ;)

illabelle
05-26-2016, 09:40
I didn't say that, but probably should have. Always carry a map and compass. I've never had to use the compass, but it could be a lifesaver.

Sometimes I'm amazed that more people aren't seriously lost on the AT. I can tell you I was pretty nervous hiking with my young nephew in Maine years ago. One thing to get lost myself, another to lose my sister's kid. ;)

Ah, you're right, that was 4shot. Sloppy of me.

We lost a kid on a dayhike a few years ago. Group of 25 on a rugged trail, we had gone down a short side trail to view a waterfall. Autistic 9yo boy decided to follow a group of older kids back to the main trail. They correctly turned left, he turned right. Not until we got to the car did his mother discover he was missing. She was hiking with us, but was absorbed with his two younger siblings and assumed he was with the others. By this time, it was dusk. A group of energetic young adults headed back down the trail and found him crying and scared, and carried him to safety. That was an educational experience.

Zman
05-26-2016, 09:59
I thought maybe on my first hike, I would leave at the end of March. I hear there are a lot of hikers starting around this time. I thought I may hike for one week and see how it goes. If I feel comfortable after that. I may try it through hike. I am sure I will be nervous though. I guess I need to learn how to use a compass

booney_1
05-26-2016, 10:30
I'd suggest studying orienteering some, not just compass use. This involves paying attention to landmarks and terrain features.
For the AT most of the guides have the trail elevation profiles. If you were expecting a 2000 ft climb, then why are you heading down hill? Wasn't there a road crossing expected at mile 5 today?? For most of the AT, a simple elevation profile that shows water sources and shelter locations is enough. That is until you make a wrong turn. There was news today about Inchworm, a hiker who died a couple of years ago. Apparently, she got lost going to the bathroom in Maine. She lived for 26 days after getting lost and there was a search for her, but she was not found for years afterwards.

At times like this...a real MAP suddenly becomes important. Will you hit a road if you head south or east? Can you find your location based on visible mountains or water sources?

It's real easy to get turned around when getting water, especially at dusk. (It's pretty common for people to head the wrong way on the trail in the morning also)

The AT blazes are pretty visible, but there are places where they can be hard to follow. For example, on a lot of ridge lines or mountain tops, the blazes are on rocks...imagine...a white blaze on a rock...with 6 inches of snow on the ground...oh yeah the trail is also covered with snow.

By studying orienteering you can reduce the chances of getting lost. A good basic book is the boy scout merit badge on orienteering. Understand that compass work and orienteering are complimentary subjects.

If you haven't hiked in 30 years...get out in the woods now!!!

Connie
05-26-2016, 11:22

By the way, you may wish to edit your location to be a little less specific.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/metro/2016/05/25/hiker-who-died-after-disappearing-from-appalachian-trail-survived-for-weeks/KAcHuKSdYVHNTNu0qQobvK/story.html?event=event12

Read that link.

I have seen people so "directionally challenged" they have this problem and looking at a compass if only to check a few steps off the trail East and so the trail is West (explanation: the opposite direction) I have wondered if they also cross the road while texting on their cell phone.

There really are "directionally challenged" people.

There is also the necessity of awareness of your surroundings, that helps a great deal.

Look at things "over your shoulder" by turning and looking to see how it looks from that perspective, so different when going back the other way.

I do that on marked trails, as well. It is a good practice.

There is terrain that is especially difficult for orientation, for some reason, not only thick woods.

Get used to map and compass, as part of the enjoyment of hiking. I like topo maps and a Suunto wrist compass, supplemented by the Suunto Mini Compass in the backpack strap. I used to have a zipper-pull compass card, with the wind chill chart on the other side. Now, I find the supplemental Mini Compass backpack strap compass is my preference.

I do all that for another reason: I look at the hike ahead for a reasonable sudden weather change exit.

The road isn't just "that way" left or right of the trail; there may be a steep raveine with soft sides of loose forest duff that is for all purposes is an unrealistic and dangerous choice. Rescuers find people dead in raveines, referred to as "drains" (reference: drainages). Avoid, as you would avoid a swawp marked on the topo map, as well. Avoid that low ground, and, do not "follow a stream". Often, a stream has so much underbrush on either side it is exhausting making the effort.

For the AT, it is better to find your way to keep to the trail.

The recommended trail guides and maps are excellent.

The GPS trail map for the AT is excellent.

I have excellent orientation and route-finding skills. I am experienced. I have map, compass, and, GPS maps and GPS nevertheless.

firesign
05-26-2016, 11:24
You will be just fine. The only difficult section for navigation is the Whites and only because there are lots of other intersecting trails and changing weather conditions. Perhaps on this section, you may require maps. The chances of getting lost* on the other 2,000 miles is unlikely.

Please also remember that millions of people use the trail every year, so help will never be far away.

*Lost: the real type of lost, never to see civilisation/family1 again. Not to be confused with temporarily misplacing the trail which will happen.

Have a wonderful thru hike.

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 11:37
Mostly well marked, but I would recommend some basic precautions. "should be fine" is likely true, but not the best approach sometimes

A small compass is good. Since most bring their phone, things like guthook app provide a map and you can use the GPS feature in an emergency and leave it off normally.

As a general "hiking skill" that can be applied to any outdoors, do some basic contained hikes where you get lost a bit but there's no risk. Also, knowing the basic idea of which direction the sun is at at various points during the day doesn't take much effort.

And optionally you could figure out how to navigate with the stars (this is more a joke in this context, but I like this type of stuff)
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL_BZHc17W4xRK55n3UbGgrGgr0uB0GXyR

I have many friends that could easily manage to get lost on the AT, or almost anywhere it seems

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 11:41
I tend to get temporarily lost the odd time at places like peaks with ski hills or places with a whole bunch of other trails and not many white blazes. Not straying far without seeing a blaze will make sure you're not at any risk and other hikers will help if you run into any issues

Zman
05-26-2016, 11:45
Maybe I have bitten off more than I can chew

Connie
05-26-2016, 11:53
chew, in tiny bites first..

Is there a county park or state park nearby?

Is there an orienteering course, or, a geocaching group nearby? Those are fun.

Zman
05-26-2016, 12:01
There is a four day three night course in Georgia where they will take you on a 13 mile hike one day and teach you about edible a non-edible food, what to do if you get lost, etc. I thought about maybe looking into that first do you think that would help?

firesign
05-26-2016, 12:37

No you have not. Its only a state of mind - knowledge gives confidence. Do something about it - now!

If you are serious about the thru hike, then buy the AWOL AT guide. This book is invaluable; elevation, map features, e.g. water sources, road crossings and shelters etc - you can follow these features as you hike.

I second the Guthook apps, and your smartphone will show you exactly where you are in relation to the trail and its features.

I carried a compass (always will) but the difficulty is, that if you are really lost, how do you really know the direction of the trail if backtracking did not work? Bread crumbs are not an option. The trail goes NSEW in the woods which makes navigation very difficult if really lost. The most difficult environment to navigate is woods/ forest and poor weather conditions. Why? Because it is more difficult to see terrain features and if you are carrying a map, relating map to ground and vice versa. I am just being realistic because some people do get really lost, but it is extremely rare.

Suggest an orientation course. This will give you the confidence that you require or affirm that thru hiking 2,187 miles is not for you.

Best if luck either way.

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 12:40
There is a four day three night course in Georgia where they will take you on a 13 mile hike one day and teach you about edible a non-edible food, what to do if you get lost, etc. I thought about maybe looking into that first do you think that would help?

that's a bit overkill. maybe a 1 day course and apply some of the skills somewhere easy. I wouldn't bother with the edible food stuff unless you're interested in that
It's more fun to hike when have knowledge and confidence in your direction and can situate yourself. That is one of the reasons I like the guthook app, and not just AWOL. You can see where the trail winds, name of the lakes around you, etc.

booney_1
05-26-2016, 12:48
Don't be discouraged. With a GPS enabled smart phone (with a map app) as backup, you will have no problem. Most of the AT is not exactly wilderness. There are lots of road crossings and other trails. In NC/GA/TN, if you go off the trail you'll likely be in somebodies backyard.

Go on some practice hikes to find the app you like best. Get a real topo map of some trails in your area and learn to read it.

This is not rocket science. Usually when people get "lost" on the AT they have missed a turn or are on some intersecting trail.
You are not lost in the sense of being 1000 miles away from anything.

Inchworms case is very interesting. It's a little hard to understand how she could have stayed lost. Unless she was hurt (report today did not say anything about that) she was someone who could hike for miles a day carrying a pack. She was near the end of her thru-hike, so she had hiking legs. Why didn't she build a large signal fire? Did she really have no idea which direction a road was?

Zman
05-26-2016, 13:11
Thank you so much for your help. I have in fact ordered the AWOL book and have checked my mailbox every day for the past week looking for it. I am sure a lot of this hike would be confidence related. Thanks again so much for your input

Zman
05-26-2016, 13:13
I think the story about inchworm made me a little nervous. What I should look at her all the stories of the people who actually made it

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 14:17
One thing to note is that the trail is pretty damn obvious 99% of the time, because it's so well used. The "navigation skills" are as beginner as it gets for the most part, so the stuff suggested is for extra safety and emergency

If you exercise caution if you leave the trail and don't stray far at all, you'll be ok

I remember reading that inchworm story awhile back. So many unfortunate circumstances, such as rescuers being very close to her location and a trail to safety not being that far away from her.
It's a good reminder that most people get lost in the 2 minutes they're off the trail for another purpose, not when they're hiking the trail

Zman
05-26-2016, 14:17
I just looked up the gut hook app. That is pretty awesome. Thank you. Thank you for all of your input as well .

Zman
05-26-2016, 14:20
Thank you. maybe it is OK to be cautious but not overly anxious are concerned ?

illabelle
05-26-2016, 14:26

Zman, there are plenty of people who hike the AT each year without prior experience. Smart people, dumb people, fat people, skinny people, old people, young people, and every other kind. While many of them leave the trail after a few days or weeks, many others finish their hike. Taking classes in wilderness survival, or orienteering, or edible wild foods, etc could be fun, but certainly aren't necessary. Also, if you're hiking from Georgia in the spring, you'll share the trail and learn the skills along with everyone else.

It's a good thing that you're educating yourself. Continue that, and get some trail experience, and you just might be one of those who enjoy their hike from the start.

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 15:02
Thank you. maybe it is OK to be cautious but not overly anxious are concerned ?

No doubt. maybe just don't start in feb or early march if you're not as confident a hiker. Waiting a bit will give you more confidence in numbers (and annoyance at the crowd for awhile I'm sure), and much less chance of snow that sticks

JohnG10
05-26-2016, 22:35
The parts of the AT that i have been on are very hard to get lost on. The trail is travelled so much that it is essentially a rutted groove of hard packed rocky soil forming a meandering "path" through forest covered with leaves or dense brush. I followed it on a moonless night once without using my headlamp for several miles. I honestly dont see how you could miss the trail itself.

However - i have gotten "lost" several times at road crossings. No map and compass will help in this situation. I'm sure (i used to do orienteering as a hobby). After 1 40 minute search, i decided i'd always carry an AT guidebook that descibes where the trail starts again (200 yards east of the crossing) in the future.

Ive also somehow ended up on a blue blazed trail rather than the main white blazed trail accidentally. This blazes are never more than 5 minutes apart though, so you dont have to backtrack very far. And your not really "lost". You just missed a turn - but know exactly how to get back. The "zone out" issue is real - but not a danger :)

JohnG10
05-26-2016, 22:39
Forgot to mention: i always carry a map and compass - but its so i can leave the trail and bushwack the shortest path to civilization in case of an emergency.

For staying found on the trail, ive never bothered to use my compass. I just remember the sun rises in the east and sets in the west. As long as its not noon, which way is north vs south along the trail is obvious :)

Connie
05-27-2016, 00:24
http://www.pressherald.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/02_MWS_FINALLOCATION_LARGAY-804x1024.jpg

Looking at the terrain, and, hearing more detail, it seems to me she gave up on the trail and she was looking for an "easy way out".

..go downhill. ..follow a stream.

I consider advice isn't worth much, unless I know more about it. I need information. I need details. I need facts.

I look around and assess the situation.

I don't know why so many people, speaking in general, not in particular, seem to rely only on some simplistic advice.

The information in this thread is more worthwhile than the usual ideas "what to do".

egilbe
05-27-2016, 01:29
If Gerry could have headed NE a bit, she would have hit a bunch of logging roads that intersected Carrabassett River and follow that to RT 16. If she had a map and known where she was to begin with. I'm speaking from hindsight having visited that area several times since she disappeared. It's a rugged area terrain-wise. In spots, the growth is pretty thick, but in other places it's pretty well open. Her death defines the word "tragedy".

Mostly, it's pretty difficult to find oneself in the situation Inchworm found herself. It's noot impossible, as she proved, but for the number of hikers who travel the trail, and the very few sad endings such as her's, the event is very unlikely. I would prepare yourself as has already been suggested, and spend more time worrying about shelter mice stealing your food.

Drybones
05-27-2016, 07:35
Blazes are often enough that no one should get lost, having said that,I get lost every time out because I don't pay attention, if you don't see a lot of holes in the trail from hiking poles you're on the wrong trail.

Zman
05-27-2016, 07:47
Thank you. I have just joined white blaze for him and am amazed at how many people are out there that can help me. Thank you and thank everybody.

Zman
05-27-2016, 07:52
OK, I have a ridiculous question. Now that I am new on this forum. At the bottom right corner of every message, there is a picture of a man. Who the hell is this guy? LOL

magneto
05-28-2016, 06:39
Hiking is not the same as wilderness preparedness. Most people who hike the AT - even thru-hike - have no idea what they are doing. They blissfully stumble through the woods, bragging the whole time how they don't need orienteering skills, woodcraft, tools or even basic clothing, in order to travel in the backcountry.

These are the ones who find themselves lost in the mountains, calling on useless cellphones for a ride out.

Maybe attempting a 2000 mile, six month trek is not the best way to start your time in the wilderness. How about some smaller trips, and getting some training, BEFORE you go.

The case of Inchworm should be a warning to everyone. She simply gave up, and camped for 26 days, only two miles from the trail, and waited to die. She had a map and compass, she had water, she had shelter, she had fire, but she was obsessed with sending texts on her useless cell phone asking for help.

I can tell you that things like this happen all the time where I am most familiar - the Whites of NH. People go out completely unprepared and end up hurt, despite all the education the Appalachian Mountain Club offers, much of it for free.

Don't underestimate what you are signing up for in a trip like this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rmitchell
05-28-2016, 08:55
I just finished refreshing the blazes on my section and can attest that is a real P.I.T.A. Lot harder that you might think. Remote area may not get repainted as often. The maintainer is probably very familiar with the area and is more focused on drainage and weed control. Sometimes it is necessary to step back and try to see it with another person's eyes. That being said there is more chance of getting lost at intersections. AWOL's guide is very helpful. As is a hiking partner.

Zman
05-29-2016, 18:19
Thank you for your response. I guess I get a little confused. Some people say the trail is so well marked and rutted it is almost impossible to get lost while others say you may. I guess it has to do with how much experience you have. I have none. I thought of taking a four day hike at the beginning of the trail next year in April when there are a lot of people also going. I would finish at the "Boot Tree" and hope to keep my boot on. If it seems as though it is something I would enjoy, maybe I should then try a one week hike. Asking questions, paying attention to blazes as well as reading what to bring (compass, map, proper clothing ect....) do you think it would be a good way to start? I would appreciate your advise greatly. I am 56 yrs. old, a Construction Superintendent, I walk 5 miles a day in steel toe boots, work out 5 days a week and eat exceptionally well. I hope this will also help.

Feral Bill
05-29-2016, 19:08
A sense of direction is not (for the most part) something you are born with, it is a learned skill. A class, as other's suggest, is a good start. Build on that by hiking in forests with map and compass at hand, keeping continuous track of where you are. Keep practicing and it will become second nature. And please remember, inchworms death was an extreme rarity.

Zman
05-29-2016, 20:02
thank you. I have been watching a lot of youtube videos on how to read a compass and map also. I will purchase a compass soon and practice. I would like to think that if I have a trail map, find myself a little lost but know relatively where I am, I can look at the map, maybe find a road (lets say to the east), orient my compass to the north, then head eastward until I come to the road. (considering it is that easy?)

Connie
05-29-2016, 20:09
The terrain can make a difference: that is why map and compass.

I recommend topographic maps, available on paper or digital. It isn't difficult to read a topographic map, with a little guidance.

For example, if there is a steep ravine between the trail and the road, look for terrain that is easier.

illabelle
05-30-2016, 18:55
I guess I get a little confused. Some people say the trail is so well marked and rutted it is almost impossible to get lost while others say you may.

The trail is most places IS well marked and may be rutted. The problem is when you get out of sight of the trail. Everything about the trail that we recognize (the rut, the cleared brush, the blazes, the cut logs) are all marks made by people. Off trail, what looks like a rut is not, brush grows randomly with random cleared areas, no blazes, no saw cut logs. The clues are missing. There are paths, but they're aren't The Path. Easy to get disoriented.

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-30-2016, 20:11

That sounds like a survival school, not an orienteering course. It probably would do you no good unless you are planning on hiking "Naked and Afraid." Search, specifically, for an orienteering course. REI could probably point you in the right direction with one of their in-house schools. Give them a call.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Connie
05-30-2016, 22:09
On the basis of the topi map, in the other thread, it appears the lost hiker went up about 400' elevation in a half mile, then saw what appeared to be the trail.

The topo map shows a dotted line, indicating a trail.

She might have thought that is the trail.

Why? The steep trail, especially if there had been water runoff, might have looked like an intermittent creek bed.

Finding no blazes, she camped. I hope that wasn't it, yet, that could be the explanation.

Me? Most things are easy only after I know how.

I learned by going with people that had experience, and would share what they knew "in the field" as well as before and after the hike. In many ways, the after the hike restaurant, or return trip, was very much a part of the hike. It was all a low-key enjoyable learning experience.

I often mark maps to "go there" next time, when I have more time: I learned I want to go and do more. :)

kayak karl
05-30-2016, 22:20
ignorance is not an excuse. educate yourself. maybe take a class.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2016, 23:52
That sounds like a survival school, not an orienteering course. It probably would do you no good unless you are planning on hiking "Naked and Afraid." Search, specifically, for an orienteering course. REI could probably point you in the right direction with one of their in-house schools. Give them a call.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Sorry Naked and Afraid is a clear joke as to what you need to know in a survival situation. Keep in mind Bear Grillis is makin money from the show. They do insert drama into the show and every year the drama is "upped" I am a fan of REI - IMO reach out to a local library.

One can learn more from watchin Youtube. Than NAA.

Zman
05-31-2016, 07:46
Lol. I watched naked and afraid one time. I appreciate your input. I am going to look into orienteering classes before I go. As well as hike once or twice for a week Or so during peak season when I can hike with other people. Maybe they can also shed light. Thanks again

Zman
05-31-2016, 07:47
Connie, I appreciate all of your input. Every bit of it will help me. Thank you so much

Zman
05-31-2016, 07:48
When you talk about getting out of sight of the trail, are you referring to possibly camping away from the trail or taking a bathroom break?

illabelle
05-31-2016, 09:44
When you talk about getting out of sight of the trail, are you referring to possibly camping away from the trail or taking a bathroom break?

Could be either, but was specifically talking about a bathroom break.
Let's say you're hiking in open woods when you feel you need to dig a cat hole. You've encountered several hikers through the day, and you never know when someone will come by and you'd like some privacy. There's no low vegetation to hide in, so you aim for an area just over a low rise. On the other side, you find a thicket of briars, so you go around it. Then the ground is real rocky, but to the side you spy a good spot. Maybe during the process of digging and positioning yourself, you turn around once, or twice. After you do your business, you have to figure out just how you got there: Is that patch of rocky ground the same rocky ground you passed earlier, or is it maybe that other rocky ground behind you? Are these the briars you navigated around, or do they just look different from this side? From the trail you saw a low rise, but from here there's a low rise in at least 3 different directions. So where is the trail?

MtDoraDave
06-03-2016, 07:59
As was stated earlier, the trail is pretty obvious 99% of the time. Even night hiking is pretty easy to stay on the trail. In the heavy parts of autumn, the leaves can make it tricky to see the trail, but after some time on the trail, it becomes almost like auto pilot to stay on the trail without conscious effort.

There are times when the trail turns and the trail maintainers have dug a water runoff trench that can trick you, but it seldom goes more than a few feet. If the trail suddenly disappears on you, turn around and backtrack a short distance and you'll likely find that's what happened.

There have been plenty of times when I've been hiking along, thinking "I haven't seen a blaze for a while" ... but eventually one comes up. Usually there is a blaze within eyesight of an intersection so you know which way is the AT... however, after Mountain Crossings (Neel Gap?), a popular tourist or day hiker stop, there isn't a white blaze until damn near the top of the climb (nobo). I was a bit nervous that there could be several trails in such a popular area, and that I might have to backtrack to find the AT, but eventually there was one of those maps installed showing where I was - and it showed that I was, indeed, on the AT.

Zman
06-03-2016, 11:36
Thank you for your input. I am thinking about taking a three or four day hike to Neil gap my first trip. I will see how well I do. Then maybe I will take a one-week trip to see how well I do with that. If all goes well, I will do a through hike. That may be the best bet for me. I would however like to find someone to join this through hike with me. Two heads are better than one

Maydog
06-03-2016, 13:02
For something closer to home that you can practice on: http://www.traillink.com/trail/tuxachanie-national-recreation-trail.aspx

Another Kevin
06-03-2016, 15:04
Knowledge is the enemy of fear. Take a course in orienteering or in basic land navigation (similar set of skills: orienteering is more directed at doing it as a competitive sport, land navigation is more oriented to just doing it well, and most of the courses have a more-or-less military flavor to them).

If you know what you're doing, losing the trail is an annoyance. I just had occasion to post in another thread (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/119086-Inchworms-Journal-during-26-days-lost-newest-report?p=2072469&viewfull=1#post2072469) what went through my head (and into my notebook) the last time I was any serious distance from my intended trail. (By the way, I consider the notebook to be as much a piece of safety equipment as the compass.)

Zman
06-03-2016, 16:07
Another Kevin, thank you for your post. I read your post in regards to you getting lost also. That was very interesting. Glad you can keep a calm head. I will look into that navigation issue that you were talking about. I have been reading and studying orienteering. It is hard to find a class anywhere around me