PDA

View Full Version : Weekend trip Seattle WA ideas

Cheyou
05-26-2016, 12:07
I got Two kids in the Seattle area. Traveling out to visit. Would like to do a weekend Backpacking trip. Need some help on trip ideas. short Friday to Sunday .

thanks Thom

Mr. Toad
05-26-2016, 13:27
Try the Chelan Lakeshore Trail, about 17 miles one way and about 2200 feet elevation gain. Take the boat north about 3/4 of the way up the lake and then hike to Stehekin, the lake and the boat ride are great. About a 90 minute drive from Seattle.

Hikingjim
05-26-2016, 13:57
you could check out past events on the seattles backpackers meetup for some detailed ideas.
http://www.meetup.com/seattlebackpackers/

I used it as a resource when I was out there last year. I mostly did day hikes around seattle before I did the west coast trail on Vancouver Island (too much logistics for a short hike there)

ozette lake/shi shi beach area is an option if you're interested in a coastal hike, but it's a good 4 hours away. Hundreds of options for good hikes in the mountains within a 2-3 hour drive

Cheyou
05-26-2016, 16:41
Thanks for the ideas . I'm driving back so lots of good stuff to stop and see.

Shutterbug
05-26-2016, 16:50
You didn't mention what time of year you will be here. It makes a difference because as the snow in the Cascades melts, more options open up.

If your trip is soon, the Ozette Loop is a good option. There are also some good options in the lower elevations of the Cascades.

If your trip is in July or later, Mt. Rainier options are great. Doing the Northern Loop Trail in Mt. Rainier National Park would be one you won't forget. Before you go, check with the rangers to confirm that the bridges are in. They wash out every winter.

If you trip is in August, the Goat Rocks Wilderness on the Pacific Crest Trail is an option you will never forget.

Cheyou
05-26-2016, 17:23
I'll b in Seattle the on June 7 . Well really Whidbey island.

Shutterbug
05-26-2016, 17:55
I'll b in Seattle the on June 7 . Well really Whidbey island.

Well, June 7 rules out the Mt. Rainier options. All of the backpacking trails are still under snow.

My suggestion would be the Ozette Loop. Be aware that when you camp on the Ozette Loop, a bear cannister is required. If you don't have one, you can rent one from the Ranger Station in Port Angeles. Although the regulation requires a "bear cannister", the problem is racoons. I have never seen nor heard of a bear in that area.

You should also check the tide tables to plan your hike. A 3 mile portion of the hike is on the shore of the Pacific Ocean. At high tide it isn't possible to make it around the points.

My favorite campsites are near Wedding Rocks. When the tide comes in those camp sites are totally cut off -- no access.

At Wedding Rocks there are petroglyphs.

show me the monkey
05-26-2016, 18:05
Checkout the Snoqualmie section of the PCT. Not far from Seattle.

Cheyou
05-27-2016, 08:53
Thanks Shutterbug I think that's going to work great

Hikingjim
05-27-2016, 10:30
I think the ozette loop isn't that long, but there's more hiking options along the coast up toward shi shi, etc. Or you could do that loop and camp once around there, and then hit somewhere else in olympic national park. the hoh rainforest area is on that side... pretty cool

https://www.nps.gov/olym/planyourvisit/hoh-river-trail.htm

Cheyou
05-27-2016, 11:25
Thanks Jim so many chioces

Shutterbug
05-27-2016, 13:51
Thanks Shutterbug I think that's going to work great

I would offer to join you for the Ozzette hike, but I will be away for a different hike -- The Great Wall of China. I will only get to do a short hike on the wall, but am looking forward to it.

PS: If you have time while you are here for a day hike, take a look at the Dungeness Spit Hike.

Cheyou
05-27-2016, 15:56
Have a great time in China .

Thanks all all for the ideas

Vegan Packer
05-29-2016, 04:59
Check out conditions for Mount Baker, and see if you can do that. Perfect for two days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWtlSbaAY7o