PDA

View Full Version : Places to Learn Needed Skills

dperry
01-02-2006, 02:33
In the recent thread on Backpacker magazine, the need to learn wilderness skills was mentioned. Obviously, a large part of the process of learning involves simple practice, but where are some places that one could get started learning some of these skills? For instance, where would one get classes on wilderness first aid, or on learning how to use a map and compass?

Thanks,

bfitz
01-02-2006, 02:46
Isn't tha wookie involved in something related to that...?

Peaks
01-02-2006, 09:08
Sometimes, the best thing that you can take with you is knowledge.

For Wilderness First Aid, check the schedule with SOLO. I believe their website is www.soloschools.com.

Map and compass: Look for your local orienteering club. In the Delaware valley, DVOA is a good active club. www.dvoa.us.orienteering.org.

Just Jeff
01-02-2006, 12:11
These guys have traveling Wilderness First Aid, First Responder, and WEMT courses.
http://www.wildmed.com/

And NOLS has lots of classes. Some people disagree with their techniques...usually very heavy-weight stuff, but they're adding some lightweight backpacking classes now.
http://www.nols.edu/

And there are countless local survival courses....google it for your area and you'll probably find a few within a 3 hour drive.

fiddlehead
01-03-2006, 12:40
boy scouts. you could probably go to a local meeting and help out and learn from them. Try a boy scout handbook.

QHShowoman
01-03-2006, 12:48
Sometimes your local outfitters (REI, EMS, etc.) will sponsor classes in orienteering and the like ... also, your local AT Club probably does as well.

littlelaurel59
01-03-2006, 18:09
boy scouts. you could probably go to a local meeting and help out and learn from them. Try a boy scout handbook.

1. BSA fieldbook has much more info on basic camping skills than the handbook.

2. Wilderness First Aid (www.wfa.net (http://www.wfa.net)) has an excellent course in first aid. There are courses scattered up and down the east coast (Near Philly on March 4-5, near Harrisburg on March 18-19).

txulrich
01-03-2006, 18:17
Your local ambulance corp or the red cross also offer courses on first aid. The basics are still the same. ABC, airway, breathing and circulation.

weary
01-03-2006, 18:19
In the recent thread on Backpacker magazine, the need to learn wilderness skills was mentioned. Obviously, a large part of the process of learning involves simple practice, but where are some places that one could get started learning some of these skills? For instance, where would one get classes on wilderness first aid, or on learning how to use a map and compass?Thanks,
AMC and AMC Chapters often offer such training. Most chapters also have active hiking schedules, where you can learn quite a bit from experienced hike leaders.

Some Appalachian TRail maintaining clubs also offer hiking activities, which are good places to learn the rudiments of outdoor life. Lists of AT clubs can be found on the ATC website.

AMC chapter sites can be found by opening www.outdoors.org

Weary

Tha Wookie
01-10-2006, 11:37
We will be offering ancient skills wilderness courses (AKA primitive skills) soon that will cover most of your interest and then some. It is not geared toward any sort of certification, but more of usable a collection of usable knowledge.

The suggestion about Boy Scouts above is not a bad one. Check out their handbook -it could get you through a lot of situations.

Skyline
01-10-2006, 11:51
If you're not too far from the DC area (or Shenandoah National Park), the Potomac Appalachian Trail Club has regularly scheduled Backpacking 101 and Backpacking 202 (and new--lightweight backpacking) courses. They are split between "classroom" and "woods" learning.

Check out:

http://www.patc.net/volunteer/trailpatrol/Outreach/BPIndex.htm

Also, I've read in the PATC newsletter that REI stores have similar offerings. If there are any near you, check those out.

C_Brice
01-11-2006, 00:30
Until you find some classes to take I recommend these 2 books.

1) The SAS Survival Handbook by John "Lofty" Wiseman

2) Basic Essentials "Map and Compass" by Cliff Jacobson

I have numorous other books on the outdoors and navigation but Wiseman's book is the most complete outdoor survival/basic skills book out there and Jacobson's book easily explains orientering. Great for novice or experienced people.

Enjoy,
Chris

AbeHikes
01-11-2006, 11:11
How about the Atlanta area? I see that Outward Bound has a center established in the area, but their site doesn't seem to be up. NC seems to be their closest representation. Other schools?

rhjanes
01-11-2006, 11:16
http://www.orienteeringunlimited.com/

find your local orienteerig club. It's a lot of fun! From there, those "in the know" will know where to branch into the first-aid and such.

Mouse
01-11-2006, 12:15
Join the Army and go to Ranger School. They teach everything you could want to know about land navigation, night hiking and Leave No Trace along with a good foundation of backpacking skills.
:banana

I only got the low octane college version, but still watching people need a flashlight to walk around at night or leave trash lying about sets my teeth on edge.