PDA

View Full Version : Running a little late

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 00:00
So through much confusion of life/bills/crappy jobs/people/places/universe I've just decided to finally after 2 years of planning hit the trail. Except it's May 27th and I won't be at Springer mnt. Till hopefully Monday. So yes I'm starting a whole month late, BUT I've already quit my job, bought some gear that was on sale and there's nothing stopping me. I know I have to reach southern terminus October 15th correct ? Besides that what's some other trouble I may run into ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

rafe
05-28-2016, 00:07
Just more heat, fewer cold nights, fewer crowded shelters than the wave ahead of you. And the need to move steadily, at a better average pace than those who started earlier. You also stand a better chance of cold weather, and snow, near the end of your hike.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 00:34
Not too bad. Going to start out the first few weeks at at 12-15 ml days, then work up to 20-25 ml days. I'm in pretty good shape already. Packing light too. It's the end I'm slightly worried about. Taking the mountain in the snow

Feral Bill
05-28-2016, 00:40
At worse you see you won't make Katadin on time, flip there, and finish somewhere else, like Vermont.

dudeijuststarted
05-28-2016, 02:43
You can flip and have an absolute blast with much less stress. I finished in Williamstown, MA in October. (multiple transportation options available out of there.) There's an ALDHA Gathering there too in early October. I think October 7.

When you're out there just remember there are SOBOs who don't even start until August, so you have time to finish up.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 03:20
I would really like to make it to mnt katadin to be an official 2000 miler. What exactly do you mean by flip flop? And when does katadin open again ?

rafe
05-28-2016, 07:00
I would really like to make it to mnt katadin to be an official 2000 miler. What exactly do you mean by flip flop? And when does katadin open again ?

Being an official 2000 miler does not imply a time frame or even a direction. To flip flop means (in this context) to jump ahead to Katahdin, if you're running late, then walking back from Katahdin to wherever you jumped from. Simply a means of beating the October 15 deadline.

Alternatively a flip-flop thru hike has you starting in the middle and walking to one end or the other, then finishing the other end.

saltysack
05-28-2016, 07:38
So through much confusion of life/bills/crappy jobs/people/places/universe I've just decided to finally after 2 years of planning hit the trail. Except it's May 27th and I won't be at Springer mnt. Till hopefully Monday. So yes I'm starting a whole month late, BUT I've already quit my job, bought some gear that was on sale and there's nothing stopping me. I know I have to reach southern terminus October 15th correct ? Besides that what's some other trouble I may run into ?

Northern terminus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Hikingjim
05-28-2016, 07:55
you'd need to avg about 16 mpd, so I wouldn't go 12-15 mpd for too long (at least not 12...). You'll have some zero days so you will likely have to average higher than that, and you will not "make up miles" the last month of the hike when the terrain in the hardest and the days are the shortest.

So enjoy, and if your pace is on point, you can make it. And if it's not, like others said, just do the flip instead of rushing through

But in theory, if you start around 15 mpd the first few weeks, then up it to 18-20 mpd (including making up the zero day mileage..) for a couple months, you'd be able to drop it back lower for the harder stretch. Any overuse type injury (tendinitis etc) would screw up your schedule (then just change to flip)

You'll find out on the trail if you can sustain 20+ mpd. Physically, possibly no problem. But are you having fun?

map man
05-28-2016, 09:03
Have you considered waiting two or three weeks and starting at Katahdin and going SOBO instead? Less time pressure -- most completing SOBOs hike into November, and some even later. You might need to lay low for a bit if you happen to run into bad weather in the Smokies, but most completing Southbounders manage this just fine.

Another alternative is to start at Waynesboro VA and hike north to Katahdin, then travel back to Waynesboro and hike south to Springer. You could start that hike on Monday just like you are thinking of doing at Springer. Starting your hike in Shenandoah NP leaves you lots of road crossings to bail at if you find any of your sale-bought gear isn't serving you well and you need to get to an outfitter. That hike you would have lots of NOBO company to Katahdin, and perhaps a little SOBO company once you do the second leg south from Waynesboro.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 11:35
Northern terminus...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Haha thanks man

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 11:39
you'd need to avg about 16 mpd, so I wouldn't go 12-15 mpd for too long (at least not 12...). You'll have some zero days so you will likely have to average higher than that, and you will not "make up miles" the last month of the hike when the terrain in the hardest and the days are the shortest.

So enjoy, and if your pace is on point, you can make it. And if it's not, like others said, just do the flip instead of rushing through

But in theory, if you start around 15 mpd the first few weeks, then up it to 18-20 mpd (including making up the zero day mileage..) for a couple months, you'd be able to drop it back lower for the harder stretch. Any overuse type injury (tendinitis etc) would screw up your schedule (then just change to flip)

You'll find out on the trail if you can sustain 20+ mpd. Physically, possibly no problem. But are you having fun?
I can do 16 miles. And work up to 20-22. My back is light , I'm in good shape. So just as long as I make it to the "northern terminus by October 15th I'm good?

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 11:41
Have you considered waiting two or three weeks and starting at Katahdin and going SOBO instead? Less time pressure -- most completing SOBOs hike into November, and some even later. You might need to lay low for a bit if you happen to run into bad weather in the Smokies, but most completing Southbounders manage this just fine.

Another alternative is to start at Waynesboro VA and hike north to Katahdin, then travel back to Waynesboro and hike south to Springer. You could start that hike on Monday just like you are thinking of doing at Springer. Starting your hike in Shenandoah NP leaves you lots of road crossings to bail at if you find any of your sale-bought gear isn't serving you well and you need to get to an outfitter. That hike you would have lots of NOBO company to Katahdin, and perhaps a little SOBO company once you do the second leg south from Waynesboro.
I've thought about that but honestly I don't have much money to spend on transportation in that sense. My cheapest route is a 37 dollar ticket to gainsville ga from where sc.

Spirit Walker
05-28-2016, 11:45
The October 15th date is not certain. If the weather is bad, they will close the mountain and not allow you to summit. Aim for at least a week before, jic.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 11:59
The October 15th date is not certain. If the weather is bad, they will close the mountain and not allow you to summit. Aim for at least a week before, jic.
I mean, even if they close the mountain, I would imagine it be pretty easy to slip on thru? Another option. My parents life in NJ, so if I must, I could reside there say hello to the ol folks then continue my journey once the mountain opens again. Although I really don't want to go home. Of topic but are there any jobs along the trail for people like me who have the chance kg not reaching katadin in time ?