PDA

View Full Version : Ride from Amtrak station to amicalola falls?

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 00:04
Anyone els arriving at the amtrack station in gainsville Monday morning ?heading to amicalola falls ? If not, how much is a taxi or shuttle ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

chiefduffy
05-28-2016, 05:18
Taxi is around $100. Check with Hiker Hostel for the best deal (if you want to stop for a night before hiking), or Ron Brown for shuttle only.

walkingjoe
05-28-2016, 21:19
I did the Hiker Hostel and it was great. For less than a taxi I got a ride from amtrak to the hostel (much nicer hostel than you'll find on the trail), trip to walmart to supply, and a ride to amicalola or springer the next morning. The hostel has a grill, great chance to pick up a steak before you hit the trail.

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 01:41
I called all around. Everyone is booked :/ my only option is taxi or hitch hiking

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-29-2016, 07:42
If you only have $200 to your name then stick that thumb out. You're going to need every penny you can save for the trail.

OkeefenokeeJoe

southernfire97
05-29-2016, 15:13
I didn't realize Amtrak ran so close to Springer. (Never looked). We have a station about 30 miles from my house. My wife and I may catch the train to Gainesville and get Ron to shuttle us to Springer, then from Unicoi back to Gainesville. It shows that it arrives in Gainesville around 9 pm, so we would have to stay the night around there. Any good spots to stay in Gainesville?

hobby
05-29-2016, 15:51
I didn't realize Amtrak ran so close to Springer. (Never looked). We have a station about 30 miles from my house. My wife and I may catch the train to Gainesville and get Ron to shuttle us to Springer, then from Unicoi back to Gainesville. It shows that it arrives in Gainesville around 9 pm, so we would have to stay the night around there. Any good spots to stay in Gainesville?

https://www.gainesville.org/places-to-stay do not stay at the Georgiana---not close and bad part of town Any of the others are OK for a quick overnight (Super 8 & Motel 6 maybe not so much!)

MuddyWaters
05-29-2016, 15:53
Gainesville is a big place ,many major hotel chains. Not sure whats close to amtrak, Ive stayed at hampton and holiday inn there. Son used to play lacrosse tournament there in summer. Basically you know what to expect with these places.

southernfire97
05-29-2016, 15:55
Is the train station in a bad part of town? I noticed its close to MLK Blvd

MuddyWaters
05-29-2016, 15:58

Nothing a taxi ride cant fix Im sure.

southernfire97
05-29-2016, 15:59
Haha thanks

hobby
05-29-2016, 16:05

Not a 'bad' part...just a mostly vacant part at night. Do not walk from there as you will pass through sketchy parts. Take a taxi

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 23:30
Anyone arriving in Gainesville tomorrow morning ? Looking to split a taxi ride to amicaloa