PDA

View Full Version : Just Jitters?

freefall
01-02-2006, 03:39
Just curious to find out from the veteran thrus....
As my date gets closer, is it normal to question whether it's the right thing to do?
Not worried about the hike itself, I know I will hike my hike. It's the deviation from the societal norms that are bothering me a little. I'd be happier hiking than in this job, for sure!

Thanks!

Sly
01-02-2006, 03:52
Yeah, just jitters.

The toughest climb on the entire trail is the one out of the car at the trailhead. Once you walk a few days you should be fine. Of course, you'll never be the same!

Lone Wolf
01-02-2006, 06:38
Yup. Totally normal to feel the way you do. On my first thru-hike back in 86 I about gave myself an ulcer on the train down to Georgia worrying about what I was about to do. When I got to the approach trail, threw the pack on and took a few steps, all the apprehension melted away. It was the right thing to do.

general
01-02-2006, 09:35
first night out you'll find a whole bunch of other people that feel like you do.

Footslogger
01-02-2006, 16:15
I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have jitters. Regardless of what you're setting aside in order to hike the trail it's a huge decision.

I almost talked myself out of my thru in 2003 several times ...just ask my wife (BadAss Turtle - AT 2001). She just let me talk myself in and out of the hike a few times and then finally jumped in and set me straight.

The good news is that once you set foot on the trail all those mixed emotions subside. You get a lung full of fresh air and an eyefull of that scenery and it's all she wrote !!

My suggestion would be to just let the feelings flow but keep your sights on what got you started thinking about hiking the trail in the first place.

Enjoy the ride ...

'Slogger

Blue Jay
01-02-2006, 16:31
I'd be more concerned if you DIDN'T have jitters.

This is exactly correct. Society wants you making money not enjoying your life. Lucky for you it's your life.

Spirit Walker
01-02-2006, 17:01
We started packing the house today. That's scary! It is all starting to feel real. I love it, but it does feel like I'm taking a giant leap off a cliff with my eyes shut. From past experience, I know it's worth it, but even after all this time and all this anticipation, that little voice still wonders whether I am really doing the right thing. But the answer is, yes, whatever happens.

lukept1
01-02-2006, 18:36
Man, I am glad I am not alone! I basically will be leaving a great job, and hopefully, renting my place out (more uncertainty there!!). It seems there are a million variables, a million unknowns, and of course, so few of my family or friends even understand. It is truly a huge leap into the unkown for me, but I suppose big dreams often carry big uncertainties. good luck to all!!--luke

neo
01-02-2006, 19:52
Yup. Totally normal to feel the way you do. On my first thru-hike back in 86 I about gave myself an ulcer on the train down to Georgia worrying about what I was about to do. When I got to the approach trail, threw the pack on and took a few steps, all the apprehension melted away. It was the right thing to do.

how many thru hikes have ya done lone wolf:cool: neo

Lone Wolf
01-02-2006, 19:54
just five.

texas jack
01-02-2006, 20:36
Well, I`ve only got one thru (so far) and it took two trys to finish it, but I was scared both times `cause I was too everything and the "little voice" wanted to run away and hide!..I almost threw up just before I got back on the trail in `03 but it went away as soon as I started hiking again .
You`re doing the right thing to go for it. If you crawl back in your hole, you will always regret it!

Lost Soul
01-02-2006, 21:40
The oddest part for me was watching the car drive away. I had some friends who were on vacation driving past the general area and I had them drop me off. I think they were more freaked out than I was though. "Are you sure you want to be left out here? We're getting out of the mountains before the sun goes down!" They were running away from the unknown while I was venturing out into it and it has made all the difference. Had the same experience when my non-hiking girlfriend dropped me off to hike the PCT two years later and then my brother dropping me off to canoe solo across the everglades. Every single time, "are you sure you want us to leave you out here..." This year its just a 5 week trip to relive part of the AT but I'm sure the experience will be the same, some aprehension on my part but much much more on the people dropping me off. :)

mweinstone
01-02-2006, 22:02
no jitters you are feeling so deeply spiritualy about to be free....that your acctually upseting your city side of you that will not give up its warm dry world for a cold wet one in witch the spiritually free side of you is about to cut down your city side and walk away from its dead carcuss never to be felt again.its war and its good. that city side needs to die. matthewski out.

dje97001
01-02-2006, 22:02
I know I won't sleep much the night before--okay probably a couple of nights before. When I realize that I'm hiking it THIS year (06) that definitely adds some stress. So much to do and so little time.

Wonder
01-02-2006, 23:40
I know what you mean. WHen the clock hit12 this year, I was at work, and had to stop dolling out bubbly for a sec. I realized, this is it! It's 2006. 3/20/06 has been a date in my head for 2 years.........I still can't beleive that it's happening. I'm so excitec about what I going to do.....what my life is going to be. Yet so nervous to walk away from this one. I still think that it's the right choice though......100%

Krewzer
01-03-2006, 01:08
Yep, it's normal. Your jitters and doubts will dissappear the further you get up the trail. I think I left most of mine on the approach trail.

freefall
01-05-2006, 05:34
Thanks for all the great comments and support! Knew it had to be normal. But as if I needed a reason to just do it, my company announced today that they are shipping the whole place down to Mexico. So, that's one less thing to worry about!!!

freefall
01-05-2006, 05:35
I still think that it's the right choice though......100%

I agree totally!

SalParadise
01-28-2006, 16:26
was it really that easy? first step and it's all fine? I certainly never felt like that, but at the same time I didn't have to leave that much to do my thru. But pretty typical to be nervous. Talk to other hikers about it when you start and maybe you'll get some new insights.

But I'm thinking either you'll have a successful thru and it'll be one of the greatest moments in your life, or at the very least, you'll decide to go home sometime during your hike and you'll come home to a better appreciation to all the great things you had when you left. It's a win-win.

All the best on your upcoming hike. I'm jealous.

DavidNH
01-28-2006, 16:55
As my date gets closer, is it normal to question whether it's the right thing to do?
Not worried about the hike itself, I know I will hike my hike. It's the deviation from the societal norms that are bothering me a little. I'd be happier hiking than in this job, for sure!

Thanks!

free fall..

I am not a verteran..actually a novice. Yet i wanted you to know I feel exactly as you do. I will setting out on march 21, 2006 to hike North on the approach trail and on march 22 i will be hiking north from Springer Shelter and i hope all the way to Katahdin.

I am going to quit a full time job that I just can stand any more and will have no job to return to. I am single and no kids so there arent those family obligations. My health right now is good so for many reasons it is the right time to do this. yet I have the jitters just the same..all the what ifs..what if injury happens, what if i cant get a job when i get back, what if the weather is bad what if I am not up to hiking 2200 miles what if what if... one just has to say damn the what ifs! Health is good, I am not getting any younger, life is cruising by, and I always wanted to hike the trail. so the hike is coming and plans are set!

see ya on the trail!!

DavidNH

Mags
01-28-2006, 17:04
In a few short months, I will be on my 3rd multi-month thru-hike. I am not worried about the trail itself. At this stage in my outdoor "career" I have enough outdoor skills (and more importantly) enough flexibility to deal with what may happen on the trail. (Or so I think. :D)

I'd be lying,though, if I said I don't have a mild case of the jitters in terms of leaving what is a comfortable life (steady job at a place where I actually like my co-workers, laid back environment) for what could be a topsy-turvy life post-trail.

Intellectually, I recongnize it is a normal feeling. Security and stability is what has been preached for most of us. To go against what we were taught and raised on is hard to ignore.

There is a west African story that roughly goes:

"Come to the edge" he said
"We are afraid" they said
They came to the edge, he pushed, and they flew.

Going to the edge can be scary at first. But every time I fell off the edge, I have flown. Every major hike (AT,PCT) has been a watershed in my life. My life post-hike was richer in the long run. I don't expect the upcoming hike to be any different.

Go to the edge....and fly.

freefall
01-28-2006, 20:34
There is a west African story that roughly goes:

"We are afraid" they said
They came to the edge, he pushed, and they flew.

Going to the edge can be scary at first. But every time I fell off the edge, I have flown. Every major hike (AT,PCT) has been a watershed in my life. My life post-hike was richer in the long run. I don't expect the upcoming hike to be any different.

Go to the edge....and fly.

A friend of mine said something strikingly similar last night. Makes good sense.

Once I broke the news to my Mom that I was hiking this year, she made me feel a lot bettter. She told me how she was proud of me. Not only for the hike but for many other things that I had no idea she felt that way. And she reminded me that with everything I've attempted in life so far, I may not have always landed on my feet, but I always got myself back up again. I had never really thought about it that way, I've always just done what I thought needed to be done. (Leave it to Mothers to get there grown children all misty eyed).
Anyway, I do still feel a little nervous but I'm dealing with it. More excited now than anything! 28 days and counting!!!:jump

Smile
01-28-2006, 20:50
Jitters happen.

For me it's really just starting to sink in that I am actually going to do this, people are starting to email me asking me if I'm still 'really' going.

Ahhhhhhh, this is going to be a grand adventure - how cool for all of us starting out this spring like so many before us! So much wisdom and insight to be found here on WB and from the folks I got to meet in person at the SoRuck.

A challenge, a change, the unknown - all this awaits us.

We will all have each other out there, even though we hike alone. Somewhere down the trail is somebody dealing with some sort of interesting twist to their day.
You are not alone!
Spring is just around the corner - what a very cool reason to celebrate.

Just remember for all of us to be here, we can't be all there.

mnof1000v
01-29-2006, 01:00
Am I jittery? Yes, but I'm also excited. I don't know what my future will bring, and that leaves me a bit uneasy. Beyond my hike beginning in March, I've so little actually planned. All I know is, I'm going into this with the right mindset. I know I want to do this - I've wanted to for quite some time. But unlike so many things I've wanted, so many decisions I've been afraid to make, the my upcoming thru stands out as the only thing I MUST do. And I know I will always regret it if I don't.

Like so many have already said, jitters are normal. I hope to see you at some point on the trail. Good luck, and great hiking!:sun

Ridge
01-29-2006, 05:16
I alway ask folks that ask me the following: 1) do you currently hike and backpack (talking about experience/ability)? 2) got money / resources for a long hike? 3) got the desire?

I tell them they need all 3 of the above to make a legitimate stab at it.

HarleyHogPit
01-29-2006, 15:56
I'm leaving this March too and after the Pa Ruck this weekend I am so much more excited about the trail and a little nervous too. I wasn't feeling nervous but after spending a whole weekend talking about the trail the reality of what I am about to do set in. About six week and I'm off. I think the first night is going to be crazy for me. I will be in my tent, not sleeping, wondering what in the world am I getting my self into. I'm going to try not to think about it too much. I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. We'll all be feeling the same way I'm sure. I can't wait to meet you all out on the trail.

Left Hand
01-29-2006, 19:30
I love the nervous energy of these posts. For me, this is what life is about: the uncertainty of chasing a dream, going against the normal, fighting against the weary, safe, boring lifestyle that a lot of people are unhappy with. It only makes it sweeter that there are so few that understand our common perspective. I can't wait to hear the crunch of the ground under my feet as I take those first steps onto the trail.

Footslogger
01-29-2006, 19:50
All I can say Mags is ...I wish I could join you.

Be sure and keep us posted when you cross into Wyoming.

See you on the 24th.

All the best ...

'Slogger

Wonder
01-30-2006, 02:35
T_E_R_R_I_F_I_E_D_...Yeah, that about sums it up. But am I scared of the hike, or of letting people down? I don't know......I just can't wait to get to it! I as ready as I'll ever be ( If not as ready as I could be :-) All of us mid-marchers will get out there one night, and have a group hug.....It's OUR turn....we are GOING to do this.

colbys
01-31-2006, 01:15
jitters,if ya dont have em youre either a zombie or not human.man,watchig my dad video tape me as i left the visitor center in 94,talk about jitters.you know parents,they think its great youre going i guess but they still are as nervous as you.
not having finished in 94',motivated me to go all the way in 1995.but the doubt and nerves were still there as dad video taped me again,this time on top of springer...
im envious of all the class of 96',if i come into about 3,000 bucks(yeah right) in the next 8-12 weeks,ill be out there with you all.

Singe03
01-31-2006, 02:37
Its totally normal to have the jitters, and I think anticipation makes the real event that much better.

Emotionally, it is really hard to describe the feelings in the days that preceeded my trip, it was not really a rollercoaster because I wanted to do it so badly that my will never really wavered but there was a feeling of it becoming real as my steps took me closer to Springer. The plane to Atlanta, the bus, meeting other would be thru hikers at the bus station, a shared cab ride, there was this massive feeling of accelleration and increasing committment at every stage of my journey to the trail. The whole idea of hiking the Appalachian trail was simply a flight of fancy until I put my hand on the brass plaque on top of Springer and saw the first white blaze and it slammed home that I was there, about to do "that", I actually was briefly dizzy...

I honestly hope all the jitters and anticipation lead you to a moment similar to that one, I'd not trade it for anything short of another chance to hike.

RITBlake
01-31-2006, 02:45

freefall, I asked a similar question just before my thru hike. Maybe someones answer can help ya

http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php?t=9044

wacocelt
01-31-2006, 05:51
I alway ask folks that ask me the following: 1) do you currently hike and backpack (talking about experience/ability)? 2) got money / resources for a long hike? 3) got the desire?

I tell them they need all 3 of the above to make a legitimate stab at it.

#'s 2 and 3 aren't so bad, but i've met just as many people who have never even spent a night outdoors that do well on the AT as people who have extensive hiking experience.

As for the jitters, I don't even currently have plans to hike this year, but because of the time of year I gave the AT jitters. It's all I can do not to just drop my current plans and go hit the trail in a few weeks. If my plans didn't consist of other full time outdoor endeavors I would be. I wish all of you getting out there this year the best! Be well.

Puck

DLANOIE
02-05-2006, 16:29
see ya all on the trail!!!
june 1 2oo6 southbounder!
super exited!

CampTim
02-07-2006, 00:06
Thanks, freefall, for starting this thread. I was (and still am) feeling the same way and after reading all these responses I got totally reinvigorated and pumped up. Now I'm restless and just waiting for March 18th to get here. It's so reassuring to hear that others have similar concerns, but even more so to know that we're going to be out there together and will be looking out for each other. It's going to be a great experience no matter how far I get. Looking forward to meeting all of you '06ers and doing what I can to help you along our way.

Illinois Coy
02-07-2006, 00:26

Thanks!

You have what is commonly called "the jitters". Practically every thru-hiker gets them. Heck, you are going to be gone six months if you are planning to be a thru-hiker, which can be a big deal. But don't worry, it will all fall into place, You will see where the real world is and you won't want to leave it. Illinois Coy, 2001

KirkMcquest
02-07-2006, 00:33

Thanks!

When your on your death bed, kicking yourself for all the things that you never did, I'm sure society will consol you:datz

Illinois Coy
02-07-2006, 00:38
T_E_R_R_I_F_I_E_D_...Yeah, that about sums it up. But am I scared of the hike, or of letting people down? I don't know......I just can't wait to get to it! I as ready as I'll ever be ( If not as ready as I could be :-) All of us mid-marchers will get out there one night, and have a group hug.....It's OUR turn....we are GOING to do this.

If I was going to do it again, I'd wait until April 1st. Some of the snow has melted and you don't have to wade thru Georgia and North Carolina in a couple of feet of snow drifts, and 17 degrees of temperature at night. Not trying to scare anyone against an early start but March can be pretty miserable in the mountains. Illinois Coy, Mar 10 to Sep 23, 2001.

Illinois Coy
02-07-2006, 00:49
I'm leaving this March too and after the Pa Ruck this weekend I am so much more excited about the trail and a little nervous too. I wasn't feeling nervous but after spending a whole weekend talking about the trail the reality of what I am about to do set in. About six week and I'm off. I think the first night is going to be crazy for me. I will be in my tent, not sleeping, wondering what in the world am I getting my self into. I'm going to try not to think about it too much. I'm just going to go for it and see what happens. We'll all be feeling the same way I'm sure. I can't wait to meet you all out on the trail.

From my experience, there were two types of campers. The tent people and the shelter people. But nearly eveyone became shelter people during a bad rain storm and we made room for them. I only carried a very small bivy sack (because of the weight) in case I couldn't get into a shelter. You have the jitters, which is normal. Don't worry about it.

hammock engineer
02-07-2006, 01:26
Nice to see everyone else thinking the same thing. Can't wait to be in my hammock on the first night in the wilderness.