PDA

View Full Version : PA Resupply help needed

brad_reloaded
05-28-2016, 07:19
Starting next week I will be hiking SOBO through PA from DWG to Pen Mar (21 days) and figured out that my re-supplies will be:
Hike about 3 days to Wind Gap, resupply here then to Palmerton or Port Clinton. From there I figure I will be walking right through Duncannon and Boiling Springs and then right past Pine Grove Furnace State Park Camp Store towards the end of my journey. For those who have done this, I have maps, and the guides but how well are the trails marked if at all on the AT, to lead you to these first few towns? i.e. how will i know exactly where to get off the trail near Wind Gap, Palmerton and Port Clinton?

Thank you!!

rdljr
05-28-2016, 07:45
I can not help with the southern part but I did the PA/NJ line DWG to Leroy Smith shelter last year and it was a total of 16 hours of slack pack time. Counting breaks and lunch. The "trail" to Wind Gap is the paved road when you cross under route 33, you can see the town and some of the commercial buildings from the trail. In October with the leaves mostly down you could hear traffic for most of the time.

Malto
05-28-2016, 09:00
You go through wind gap and Port Clinton and you will spend a day looking down on Palmerton as you hike. There may be a trail going into Palmerton.

perrito
05-28-2016, 09:36
Any particular reason it's going to take you 3 days to do the 15 miles to Wind Gap?

brad_reloaded
05-28-2016, 09:48
That was just a guesstimate really, it will be 2 days as I will be hiking my first day as a short one to Kirkbridge Shelter (6.2 miles), staying overnight there before hitting the superfund site area on day 2 ( I assume). Just wanted to take it slow my first day before hitting the rocky challenge ahead of me.

brad_reloaded
05-28-2016, 09:50
That was just a guesstimate really, it will be 2 days as I will be hiking my first day as a short one to Kirkbridge Shelter (6.2 miles), staying overnight there before hitting the superfund site area on day 2 ( I assume). Just wanted to take it slow my first day before hitting the rocky challenge ahead of me.

So here is my ever changing rough schedule for the journey:

Day 1 - Begin at DWG bridge and hike to Kirkbridge Shelter (6.6 miles) and stay the night.

Day 2 - Hike to Leroy A. Smith Shelter (at 20.3 = 13.7 miles)

Day 3 - Hike to George W. Outerbridge Shelter (at 37 = 16.7 miles)

Day 4 - Hike to either New Tripoli Campsite (at 47.9 = 10.9 miles) or Allentown Hiking Club Shelter (at 53.8 = 16.8 miles)

Day 5 Hike to Windsor Furnace Shelter (at 70.3 = 16.5 miles)

Day 6 - Hike to Eagle’s Nest Shelter (at 85 = 14.7 miles)

Day 7 - Hike to 501 shelter (at 100.1 = 15.1 miles) (or a few miles more to William Penn Shelter (at 104.2)

Day 8 - Hike to Rausch Gap Shelter (at 117.6 = 17.5 miles)

Day 9 - Hike to Peters Mountain Shelter (at 135.6 = 18 miles)

Day 10 - Hike to Clarke’s Ferry Shelter (at 142.3 = 6.7 miles)

DUNCANNON PA HERE IN BETWEEN SHELTERS

Day 11 - Hike to Cove Mountain Shelter (at 150.6 = 8.3 miles)

Day 12 - Hike to Darlington Shelters (at 157.9 = 7.3 miles)

BOILING SPRINGS HERE

Day 13 - Hike to Alec Kennedy Shelter (at 176.1 = 18.2 miles)

Day 14 - Hike to James Fry (Tagg Run) Shelter (at 184.2 = 8.1 miles)

Day 15 - Hike to Toms Run Shelter (at 195.1 = 10.9 miles)

Day 16 - Hike to Birch Run Shelter (at 201.3 = 6.2 miles)

Day 17 - Hike to Quarry Gap Shelters (at 208.7 = 7.4 miles)

Day 18 - Hike to Rocky Mountain Shelters (at 214.3 = (5.6 miles)

Day 19 - Hike to Tumbling Run Shelters (at 220.9 = 6.6 miles)

Day 20 - Hike to Deer Lick Shelters (at 224.5 = 3.6 miles)

Day 21 - Hike to Pen Mar Road (at 229.1 = 4.6 miles) END

Spirit Walker
05-28-2016, 11:51
The camp store at Pine Grove doesn't have a lot, though you may be able to get by. There is a Rutters gas station minimart about a mile from Caledonia or you might get a lift to Walmart, about 8 miles west if you don't have enough to get you to Pen Mar.

I doubt you'll be slowing down as much as you show above. 6 miles will be done before lunch. Chances are you'll end up doing the last 6 days above in 3 days.

brad_reloaded
05-28-2016, 11:58
The camp store at Pine Grove doesn't have a lot, though you may be able to get by. There is a Rutters gas station minimart about a mile from Caledonia or you might get a lift to Walmart, about 8 miles west if you don't have enough to get you to Pen Mar.

I doubt you'll be slowing down as much as you show above. 6 miles will be done before lunch. Chances are you'll end up doing the last 6 days above in 3 days.

Thanks! Kinda wanted to take an easy day 1, i am a semi experienced hiker (14 miles in one day tops) but never did this many days in a row, don't want to putter out early so I figured I would take it slow that day.

You are correct in that I will be skipping most of the shelters in the southern part closer to Pen Mar. Just included them as a reference for myself. I appreciate all the comments! Great forum!

SkeeterPee
05-28-2016, 18:01
Not sure if you are adverse to staying in town but Allenberry, Boiling springs has hiker rates if they are still open when you go. You can also do laundry there. They are looking to sell or close I heard from other hikers last week so be sure they are open. Also the Doyle Hotel is an interesting place to stay if you are not adverse to Spartan conditions.

Alec Kennedy was my least favorite shelter so far, but mostly because there were a lot of mice at this one and I have yet to experience this at other shelters in PA.

There is also a hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Was closed last November when I hiked that section but others said it was a good place t stop.

Peters mountain to Duncannon is just 9.3 miles and fairly level until the decent into Duncannon. I did the other direction last week so you could go into Duncannon that day, or even up to the Cove Mountain if you want a longer day.

There are lots of places you could camp between shelters if you don't want to make some days 18 miles and others 7.

brad_reloaded
05-28-2016, 19:00
Not sure if you are adverse to staying in town but Allenberry, Boiling springs has hiker rates if they are still open when you go. You can also do laundry there. They are looking to sell or close I heard from other hikers last week so be sure they are open. Also the Doyle Hotel is an interesting place to stay if you are not adverse to Spartan conditions.

Alec Kennedy was my least favorite shelter so far, but mostly because there were a lot of mice at this one and I have yet to experience this at other shelters in PA.

There is also a hostel at Pine Grove Furnace State Park. Was closed last November when I hiked that section but others said it was a good place t stop.

Peters mountain to Duncannon is just 9.3 miles and fairly level until the decent into Duncannon. I did the other direction last week so you could go into Duncannon that day, or even up to the Cove Mountain if you want a longer day.

There are lots of places you could camp between shelters if you don't want to make some days 18 miles and others 7.

Thanks SkeeterPee! Much Appreciated!

perrito
07-09-2016, 08:41
One thought,
Why not start in the south and hike northbound?
The southern half of PA is really easy hiking. I've seen it described as the easiest on the whole trail. A great way to start the hike to get your trail legs. And the shelters are beautiful and well maintained.
In the northern section you'll probably want to slow down anyway through the rocky areas.
You should have no problem doing the 230 miles in 21 days.
Have you considered starting in Harper's Ferry? Only 40 miles more.