PDA

View Full Version : Question for Spot GPS and Delorme InReach owners?

JumpMaster Blaster
05-28-2016, 08:46
SO, aside from a few minor additions to my gear, I'd like to get a Spot or Delorme InReach. I am well aware of the basic functionality of each. I currently use Backcountry Navigator (on my cell phone) to track my route, mark waypoints, and export that info to Google Earth.

What I want to be able to do with a new device is just that- EXPORT the data from each trip to a .kml file so I can upload to Google Earth.

Have any of you owners tried this?

cmoulder
05-28-2016, 08:56
I don't know about inReach, but with SPOT the track info is downloadable from your account info as kml or gpx files — NOT from the SPOT device itself, however. Of course, when in tracking mode the waypoints will be 5 or 10 minutes apart, depending upon which option you choose (which can be done with a SPOT phone app), and of course it reduces the life of the batteries. Also, BCN for tracking on a cellphone will very quickly drain the battery. If having a track is really important, best to go with something like an Etrex 20 with tracking set to "least often", or use the SPOT and carry extra batteries. With SPOT you can also set up a link that your family/friends can use to follow your progress. (No doubt possible with inReach, too)

JumpMaster Blaster
05-28-2016, 14:31
I don't know about inReach, but with SPOT the track info is downloadable from your account info as kml or gpx files — NOT from the SPOT device itself, however. Of course, when in tracking mode the waypoints will be 5 or 10 minutes apart, depending upon which option you choose (which can be done with a SPOT phone app), and of course it reduces the life of the batteries. Also, BCN for tracking on a cellphone will very quickly drain the battery. If having a track is really important, best to go with something like an Etrex 20 with tracking set to "least often", or use the SPOT and carry extra batteries. With SPOT you can also set up a link that your family/friends can use to follow your progress. (No doubt possible with inReach, too)

This was exactly what I was looking for, thanks. I know all too well about BCN draining the battery, but it's important enough to me to have it, which is why I bring a battery pack. I also think I'd rather export & download from the device itself and be able to mark waypoints. I think if I had a SPOT, I'd still end up using BCN for that anyway. The reason I asked about the two specific models was the "SOS" feature.

cmoulder
05-28-2016, 14:38
Well fortunately I've no experience with the SOS and hope not to.:) There is also the "helping hand" button which notifies whomever you designate that you need assistance, without triggering a full-blown SAR. Mine is a Gen3 and has never failed to deliver the OK and Custom messages.

Shutterbug
05-28-2016, 15:57
SO, aside from a few minor additions to my gear, I'd like to get a Spot or Delorme InReach. I am well aware of the basic functionality of each. I currently use Backcountry Navigator (on my cell phone) to track my route, mark waypoints, and export that info to Google Earth.

What I want to be able to do with a new device is just that- EXPORT the data from each trip to a .kml file so I can upload to Google Earth.

Have any of you owners tried this?

I am an InReach user. I have not exported to a .kml file because that would be redundant. The tracking feature sends everything to a Delorme Map that can be viewed online, just like Google Earth.

I was a Spot user for years, but switched to InReach because InReach both sends and receives. A Spot only sends. For the tracking feature, they are identical, but when you need the SOS feature, the two way communication is really important.

The only time I have needed the SOS feature was in the Grand Canyon. I was in the Clear Creek area of the Grand Canyon when a member of my hiking party collapsed due to heat exhaustion. I attempted to use the SOS function of my Spot to call for help. Help never came. When I got back to a Ranger Station, I learned that the SOS call never got out.

In all fairness, an InReach might not have gotten out either, but I would have known it didn't get out because on an InReach one will receiver a confirmation that the SOS message was received. It is also possible on the InReach to tell the nature or one's emergency and the kind of help that is needed.

Not to leave anyone hanging -- my emergency was resolved without help. I was able to revive the hiker and he was able to hike out the next day.

Connie
05-28-2016, 16:54
Do these kml files allow you to add photos?

I have seen tracks of bicycle trips with photos.

I would like to do that for hiking, to share the hike with friends and family.

Fireplug
05-30-2016, 10:17
HERES WHAT MADE MY DECISION ON THE INREACH!!!!! Spot GPS and Inreach are basically the same. However with the Spot you HAVE to pay a yearly service. And I have heard of some people having to cancel thier CCs just to get the billing stopped. Bad customer service.

The Inreach is a monthly based plan. I turned on my service for a AT April hike then turned off the service when done. I just turned it back on as I'm starting a section hike in June. Just my two cents worth.

Akela
05-30-2016, 17:28
As I section hiker, I export track from my SPOT into a single google map for each state. No cheating here...

Offshore
05-30-2016, 18:42
HERES WHAT MADE MY DECISION ON THE INREACH!!!!! Spot GPS and Inreach are basically the same. However with the Spot you HAVE to pay a yearly service. And I have heard of some people having to cancel thier CCs just to get the billing stopped. Bad customer service.

The Inreach is a monthly based plan. I turned on my service for a AT April hike then turned off the service when done. I just turned it back on as I'm starting a section hike in June. Just my two cents worth.

I looked at the InReach and SPOT and wound up going with the SPOT since I had no need for texting (wanted to get away from it!) and their service plans were significantly higher than SPOTs. DeLorme had just come out with the turn on/turn off plans when I was deciding, but once I did the math, they were a lot less impressive that at first glance. When deciding, you need to analyse your usage carefully before you make your decision. The monthly charges on the DeLorme Freedom Plans get very expensive pretty quickly. The closest DeLorme plan to the standard SPOT plan is their Recreation Plan (lowest cost plan with no per track point charge). The DeLorme Recreation plan with the Freedom (turn on/turn off) option is $35/month vs a SPOT annual plan at $149/year. So, if you are going to use it for more than 4 months per year (the Freedom activation term looks to be a minimum of one month service per activation) , the cost difference is negligible. I like having the annual plan since it allows me to use it even for short solo day hikes. I never had a problem with billing or customer service, although I never needed to cancel. I had read some of the early anecdotes about billing so I just put it on my American Express because of all the bank cards I have, I found that Amex has the best problem resolution by far. (Cancelling a credit card does nothing to stop/erase charges. All that does is get them sent to a collections agency.)

So, do the math. If your are looking to use it a couple of times per year, then maybe renting the device is better. The other big unknown with DeLorme is what will happen to their already expensive service plans once the integration with their new owner, Garmin, is completed. I'm a big fan of Garmin devices, but given the way they handle their cartography services for teir devices (expensive and difficult to impossible to use third party open source maps), hold on to you wallet.

Fireplug
06-01-2016, 23:16
Not sure where your getting your info from. I'm paying $14.99 a month for Inreach with text. I don't use text so that's not an issue. $14.99 a month is great so my family can see my progress. To each his own. I'm a I reach guy

Hosh
06-01-2016, 23:26
I would be curious on opinions on the convergence of smartphones, gps, and SOS hardware. Garmin bought DeLorme which leads me to believe the DeLorme hardware platform is dead, their software is far behind Garmin. Smartphones are in the hands of billions, the gps apps are numerous.

Can satellite communications be far behind?

Offshore
06-02-2016, 09:10
Not sure where your getting your info from. I'm paying $14.99 a month for Inreach with text. I don't use text so that's not an issue. $14.99 a month is great so my family can see my progress. To each his own. I'm a I reach guy

http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

You're on the Freedom Safety plan which has no included tracking (tracking on this plan is $0.10/point). The $34.95 I quoted is the Freedom Recreation plan which includes tracking and thus is comparable to the SPOT plan.

SWODaddy
06-02-2016, 12:55
I would be curious on opinions on the convergence of smartphones, gps, and SOS hardware. Garmin bought DeLorme which leads me to believe the DeLorme hardware platform is dead, their software is far behind Garmin. Smartphones are in the hands of billions, the gps apps are numerous.

Can satellite communications be far behind?

DeLorme already has a phone app. You can literally send a text message from your cell phone at the North Pole if you wanted to (though the device itself has been fine for my uses).

Another Kevin
06-02-2016, 13:19
I've brought a (rented) SPOT on exactly one trip - a solo Northville-Placid thru-hike. That was to "ensure domestic tranquility." My wife slept better knowing I was still moving.

Ordinarily, I use BackCountry Navigator for tracking. I find that I can get a full day of track recording out of my phone as long as the phone stays in airplane mode and I don't light the display more than once or twice an hour. I carry a battery pack that's about the form factor and weight of a brick for recharging, so I can go about five days without needing to suck at the electrical teat. Since I use BCN more for track recording than for navigation (which I do with a paper map, a magnetic compass, and a barometric altimeter), not looking at it very often is fine with me.

I carry a real PLB for emergency signaling, when I'm solo, or bushwhacking, or in winter.

With that combination, I don't have much use for a SPOT or InReach (or for a standalone GPS for that matter). My wife is getting used to the idea of, "if my PLB isn't lit, I'm OK."

Your mileage will no doubt vary - my hiking style is, I concede, unusual.

scrabbler
06-02-2016, 15:39
http://www.inreachdelorme.com/product-info/subscription-plans.php

You're on the Freedom Safety plan which has no included tracking (tracking on this plan is $0.10/point). The $34.95 I quoted is the Freedom Recreation plan which includes tracking and thus is comparable to the SPOT plan.

Its not comparable to a Spot, because that InReach plan will also allow you to send/receive 40 text messages free of charge, and also allow friends and family the ability to "ping" your location an unlimited number of times, and of course the tracking.

JumpMaster Blaster
06-02-2016, 19:52
Hmm, all good points. I think I'm leaning toward the InReach. Now for the kicker- there's a red colored InReach unit and a yellow colored one. Who has which?

Nodust
06-02-2016, 19:55
Hmm, all good points. I think I'm leaning toward the InReach. Now for the kicker- there's a red colored InReach unit and a yellow colored one. Who has which?

I have the Explorer (red). Just used it last week. Wife was able to get text from me that I was alive and view my progress. I think I had it plotting every hour. I didn't have to take my phone off airplane mode all five days.

It was for her peace of mind while I'm off in the woods.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ChuckT
06-04-2016, 19:43
I am pondering an In Reach Explorer for all the reasons mentioned. DW thinks I'm nuts soloing in the woods. I think she's nuts mooning over horses. Toe-mah-toe, to-may-toe, life goes on.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

ChuckT
07-15-2016, 21:00
Pulled the trigger on an Explorer. DW not impressed. Oh well.
First impression - heavier than it looks and smaller than I expected. Setup seem overly complex. The literature does not make the distinction between the cellphone app and the desktop/Web app clear.
Took about a half hour to charge it to 100 on a USB port. Probably quicker on the 120 vac step down transformer plugged into the wall?
Tomorrow I get back on the Internet and set up the subscription plan.

Wise Old Owl
07-15-2016, 23:27
Do these kml files allow you to add photos?

I have seen tracks of bicycle trips with photos.

I would like to do that for hiking, to share the hike with friends and family.

KML files are nothing more than the "track" of previous hiking data that supports you app once its downloaded. Photos are added later by a different program or app. Facebook is the most popular amongst relatives.

Offshore
07-16-2016, 07:39
Its not comparable to a Spot, because that InReach plan will also allow you to send/receive 40 text messages free of charge, and also allow friends and family the ability to "ping" your location an unlimited number of times, and of course the tracking.

Yes. it is. I compared the cheapest plans that include tracking since the OP was specifically asking about the ability to export track points. Texting is irrelevant to the comparison since the SPOT can't text (and the OP was not interested in text messaging...)

ChuckT
07-16-2016, 17:49
For comparison - InReach Explorer next to a Garmin GPSMAP 64s.
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160716/28eb9129368e967387570410495e41ca.jpg

ChuckT
07-17-2016, 11:03
Damm that key pad is small for my mitts.

ChuckT
07-27-2016, 10:21
So I go thru the set up. Add contacts and send a test to wifie.
"Cool", she says.
"Did the (map) link work for you?" I says.
"What map link?"
😕😕

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 10:55
I also went with the InReach because of the two-way communication in emergencies and the confirmation of SOS received notifications. Since I also hike solo a lot I also liked the ability to let my family know if I was running behind so they didn't alert SAR if it wasn't necessary. The monthly plan with the InReach and multiple negative stories about SPOT customer service/automatic billing/signals not being received(reliability) were the final deciding factors in my decision.

Hoping mine should be here by the beginning of next week so I can get it set up for my next trip.

cmoulder
07-27-2016, 11:07
So I go thru the set up. Add contacts and send a test to wifie.
"Cool", she says.
"Did the (map) link work for you?" I says.
"What map link?"


If she didn't get the map link then something is set up incorrectly. There should be 2 links, in fact, one that links to a map on the Spot website and another that goes directly to google maps in case the link through Spot doesn't work or is blocked for some reason.

ChuckT
07-27-2016, 11:08
It wasn't that she didn't _receive_ the link.

cmoulder
07-27-2016, 11:16
Yes, that's why I said "map link". :)

Did you see the actual message, and perhaps she didn't recognize the link in the message that she was supposed to click?

Not trying to be insulting, just asking to clarify. My wife did something like this recently on something else that was totally unrelated, but quite similar...

cmoulder
07-27-2016, 13:28
I also went with the InReach because of the two-way communication in emergencies and the confirmation of SOS received notifications. Since I also hike solo a lot I also liked the ability to let my family know if I was running behind so they didn't alert SAR if it wasn't necessary. The monthly plan with the InReach and multiple negative stories about SPOT customer service/automatic billing/signals not being received(reliability) were the final deciding factors in my decision.

Hoping mine should be here by the beginning of next week so I can get it set up for my next trip.

I'm waiting to see what Garmin's acquisition of Delorme produces. 2-way could be nice in some places, but that's a hefty-sized unit compared to a Spot. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with Spot (Gen3) never having had a single problem with it. There's an occasional 'Spot-sniper' on BPL who bases his complaints on experience with Spot Gen1, which from what I've read and from my own experiences is totally unjustified.

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 13:50
I'm waiting to see what Garmin's acquisition of Delorme produces. 2-way could be nice in some places, but that's a hefty-sized unit compared to a Spot. In the meantime I'm quite satisfied with Spot (Gen3) never having had a single problem with it. There's an occasional 'Spot-sniper' on BPL who bases his complaints on experience with Spot Gen1, which from what I've read and from my own experiences is totally unjustified.

According to Andrew Skurka's review of SPOT, InReach and satellite phones, the SPOT weighs in at around 4oz with the InReach models coming in at 7oz each...that's not a hefty difference. And in his pictures of them all side by side there isn't much size difference either:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-satellite-messengers-phones-pros-cons-my-picks/

Offshore
07-27-2016, 15:53
According to Andrew Skurka's review of SPOT, InReach and satellite phones, the SPOT weighs in at around 4oz with the InReach models coming in at 7oz each...that's not a hefty difference. And in his pictures of them all side by side there isn't much size difference either:

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/plbs-satellite-messengers-phones-pros-cons-my-picks/

Three ounces isn't much? You do realize that many posters on this board refuse to carry the weight of a full-length toothbrush handle, don't you?!?

cmoulder
07-27-2016, 19:35
Three ounces isn't much? You do realize that many posters on this board refuse to carry the weight of a full-length toothbrush handle, don't you?!?

LOL, well in all fairness this isn't a UL thread, but to the truly committed (such as we) they all are! :D

I ditched my Nikon AW120 and use the excellent camera on my Samsung S5... and am hoping soon to move up to the S7. Saved another 7 ounces right there, and it's really fun learning how to get great photos with a cellphone cam.

DuneElliot
07-27-2016, 19:59

I'd rather carry the 3oz, personally, and have the options and peace of mind. We all choose where we make sacrifices for weight...and that isn't one of them.

cmoulder
07-27-2016, 20:19
That's what it's all about — I don't have to carry it so it's no concern of mine. I just mentioned it for someone who doesn't desire texting and might take weight into consideration.

The thing with Spot is that you can word your check-in, custom, and helping-hand messages such that they accurately reflect to the receiver(s) the level of alarm (or lack thereof) for your situation, or just hit the SOS if the poop seriously hits the fan. It's also worth it IMO with Spot to pay the couple extra bucks per month for the rescue insurance in case it's needed.

ChuckT
07-27-2016, 20:37
Wifie got the whole message, with a working link embedded. She just didn't bother accessing the map with the link. Holy navigating map person just why bother?
(Exits stage right grumbling)

rhjanes
07-27-2016, 22:14
I set off total panic within the women of my family with me "heading out" (of any cell range) on a Solo hike in the Arkansas mountains. I got the InReach and after the trip, wife LOVED it. I was able to send her a "I'm starting here" and a "I'm Stopping Here" everyday. She was able to click the link and see where I was on a map. I set the thing to be sending like every 30 minutes on that trip and she even commented "I could even FOLLOW ALONG!". She would also send me a reply at night.
I have since downgraded to the cheaper plan. But well worth it for piece of mind with the family back home (who count camping as "I can see a tree out of the hotel window").

tflaris
07-27-2016, 22:22
Used the InReach on a JMT thru hike and it worked like a charm. You can give people your user name and password and share your track "Mapshare" or you can send individual people email or text links.

The phone app via Bluetooth makes it easy to send messages. My wife and I sent about 200 of them back and forth. I used it to reschedule a Resupply coming in by packer service.

I have also used it on the AT. It works best when having a clear line of site (i.e. Fewer trees). I have also used it on the FT.

Setup sucks. My trail name was Tech Support because I help my buddy and several others with their InReach. But other times they called me Yogi.......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

tflaris
07-27-2016, 22:23
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/2491086776b60dedbb85e6c73e4d6160.jpg

tflaris
07-27-2016, 22:25
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/40ccbd184c7855ab2479554f1d18b1d1.jpg

Screen shot of the phone app used with the InReach

ChuckT
07-28-2016, 05:27
What kind of battery life were you getting with the Explorer?

Engine
07-28-2016, 05:43
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160728/40ccbd184c7855ab2479554f1d18b1d1.jpg

Screen shot of the phone app used with the InReach

Max speed of 6.8 mph? Did you fall off a ledge? :D

cmoulder
07-28-2016, 06:31
Wifie got the whole message, with a working link embedded. She just didn't bother accessing the map with the link. Holy navigating map person just why bother?
(Exits stage right grumbling)

LOL, well if it's any consolation my wife doesn't use the embedded map link either. She's happy enough to get the OK messages, and I'm very happy not to be texting.

Spot can be set up so that others can follow the trip, and when set up with 10-minute tracking intervals the batteries (lithium) last about 80 hours, give or take, but if used only for morning and evening check-in/OK messages they can last a very long time. I tested it on a couple of trips early on, but after the novelty wore off I realized I have no interest in the tracking stuff.

ChuckT
07-28-2016, 07:13
Couple of weeks and we have a "social" hike, maybe 8 miles out and back. I'll get that set up and exactly what gets transmitted, sending to my other email/sms as well.
Also I need a better feel for just how long this thing will last battery wise. I intend to shut it off at night and already know it takes a bit to locate the satellites so I need to factor in start up. Probably turn on in AM and secure it to pack last-ish.

tflaris
07-28-2016, 07:21
Max speed of 6.8 mph? Did you fall off a ledge? :D

I found the accuracy to be close but never exact. Max Speed was the least accurate some days. I also used a Fennix 3 and it ran similar numbers but Max Speed was always off on the InReach

tflaris
07-28-2016, 07:24
What kind of battery life were you getting with the Explorer?

Hiking from 6:30 am to 4:30 pm with 1 minute tracking and reporting location every 10 minutes I could get 3 says from 1 charge.

I used the Go Zero Nomad 7 (newest model) at 8-12 oz and could easily keep my iPhone, Fennix 3 and InReached charged on the JMT. On the AT I use USB rechargeable pack (10,000 mah)

ChuckT
07-28-2016, 08:01
I have an external battery. The weight and amp-hour I don't recall, but it would be another giz to tote and keep track of.
If I get 3 days that would be perfect, in Sept I'm doing Hampton Tennessee to Damascus. On the AT that should be a 3 day.

tflaris
07-28-2016, 08:10
I have an external battery. The weight and amp-hour I don't recall, but it would be another giz to tote and keep track of.
If I get 3 days that would be perfect, in Sept I'm doing Hampton Tennessee to Damascus. On the AT that should be a 3 day.

If I was just doing three days I would bring a much smaller USB battery as backup.

If you are using messaging it's easier to type and sent them on a smart phone. Using the InReach Earthmate App.

It can be done from the InReach but it's more tedious.

Practice before you go around your neighborhood.

Hope this helps

JumpMaster Blaster
07-28-2016, 09:44
Now that I think about it, I can see my family inundating me every 45 minutes with messages like "do you see any bears?", "are you alright?", "is it raining?", and "you haven't sent a message in an hour, are you getting mauled by a bear?"

ChuckT
07-28-2016, 11:27
Tell them you'll check in 3x a day and in the meantime either you're moving or bigfoot is dragging your carcass. Either way you're too busy to natter.

tflaris
07-28-2016, 17:13
I never encountered these problems. YMMV.

Miles 2 Go
07-30-2016, 08:08
I first bought an ARC ResQlink PLB because I wanted to give my wife peace of mind and not wanting to pay for a service plan. After doing a hike were I had zero cell service and could not contact her to let her know I was fine I knew I need to upgrade to something better. I looked at the SPOT gen3 and the Inreach SE and decided to buy the Inreach SE. It was more money than the SPOT but IMHO was worth it to be able to send and receive text messages. The service plans cost me $15.87 per month so it comparable to SPOT service plan. Also being able to send text and receive text shouldn't be under rated. If you have an emergency at home love ones can contact you so you can get off trail and return home. If you need help you can talk to your rescuers to provide info they may need.

MikekiM
08-03-2016, 09:40
As I section hiker, I export track from my SPOT into a single google map for each state. No cheating here...

Google maps is a resource I don't utilize enough and I would like to do exactly what you are.. plot those sections of the AT I have sectioned. Would you be able to share how you export to a single map? Many of sections were incorporated in treks that departed to other trails.. is there a way to edit the track data so that only the AT legs are displayed?

DeLorme already has a phone app. You can literally send a text message from your cell phone at the North Pole if you wanted to (though the device itself has been fine for my uses).

Try as I might, I can't seem to locate the Delorme app. Is it listed under a different name? Any insight you can offer would be appreciated!!

tflaris
08-03-2016, 09:42
Google maps is a resource I don't utilize enough and I would like to do exactly what you are.. plot those sections of the AT I have sectioned. Would you be able to share how you export to a single map? Many of sections were incorporated in treks that departed to other trails.. is there a way to edit the track data so that only the AT legs are displayed?

Try as I might, I can't seem to locate the Delorme app. Is it listed under a different name? Any insight you can offer would be appreciated!!

Earthmate is the name of the app

tflaris
08-03-2016, 09:43
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/909f0a5ccf13a2c662eeb571bd9b978a.png

DuneElliot
08-03-2016, 10:14
I just got my InReach I'm getting it set up for a 6 day backpacking trip around the Cloud Peak Wilderness. Everything seems to be fairly simple since I am not setting up tracking or anything, however I am running into two things I am curious about: 1) When paired my phone is paired with the device does the Earthmate App use the GPS location it receives from the InReach when it doesn't have it's own signal or is in Airplane mode? 2) What preset messages do you use or recommend?

ChuckT
08-03-2016, 10:23
Good question. The In Reach (I have the Explorer) instruction doesn't seem to specify!
As to messages I only added a light-hearted "all OK, but send beer" to tell DW I'm still with it.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 10:25
I just got my InReach I'm getting it set up for a 6 day backpacking trip around the Cloud Peak Wilderness. Everything seems to be fairly simple since I am not setting up tracking or anything, however I am running into two things I am curious about: 1) When paired my phone is paired with the device does the Earthmate App use the GPS location it receives from the InReach when it doesn't have it's own signal or is in Airplane mode? 2) What preset messages do you use or recommend?

The InReach has its own GPS and doesn't need the phone unless connecting to it via Bluetooth. Which can be used in Airplane Mode.

ChuckT
08-03-2016, 10:52
I reviewed the manual, no explicit definition. Suppose you could call Delorme. If I can I'll walk outside this PM and see what whether my Android/Note 7 will pair and still be in airplane mode or if I can toggle it's GPS to Off while the inReach is paired and functioning.
Certainly a way to save battery power.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 11:59
I'm speaking as an IPhone 6 User. Not sure about Android!

ChuckT
08-03-2016, 12:02
Walked outside and turned on in Reach and cell.
Airplane mode on the cell turns _off_ Bluetooth, the two, Android and iReach, will not communicate then.
With both on and Bluetooth enabled I did not see the icon appearing on the cell that indicates that the GPS receiver was enabled. So the iReach was using only it's antennae.
In a couple of weeks we'll be doing a social hike in BullCreek (a Florida WMA) so I'll be doing a full-on test then. Leaving it on and sending location data to DW. An acid test. Right at the moment everything seems straight forward and one charge _should_ (he said, navigationaly) last the 3 days I need just now.

ChuckT
08-03-2016, 12:52
One thing that has caught me, twice now.
It's difficult to turn this thing off! I have to "Power On" then select turn off.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 12:54
Walked outside and turned on in Reach and cell.
Airplane mode on the cell turns _off_ Bluetooth, the two, Android and iReach, will not communicate then.
With both on and Bluetooth enabled I did not see the icon appearing on the cell that indicates that the GPS receiver was enabled. So the iReach was using only it's antennae.
In a couple of weeks we'll be doing a social hike in BullCreek (a Florida WMA) so I'll be doing a full-on test then. Leaving it on and sending location data to DW. An acid test. Right at the moment everything seems straight forward and one charge _should_ (he said, navigationaly) last the 3 days I need just now.

I'm assuming you have already paired the 2 devices. (Phone, InReach)

ChuckT
08-03-2016, 12:55
Yes, did that previously.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 12:56
Also you have to turn on Bluetooth on the InReach in the settings screen. Default is off.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 12:57
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/e82b9852f9b230f622d433a4a12941de.png

tflaris
08-03-2016, 12:58
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/e78d005672d0c8e3cf5641b86837fcb4.png

tflaris
08-03-2016, 12:59
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160803/823108a39f883198000c91016be16ced.png

tflaris
08-03-2016, 13:00
Enable has two options On or Off.

DuneElliot
08-03-2016, 13:57
The InReach has its own GPS and doesn't need the phone unless connecting to it via Bluetooth. Which can be used in Airplane Mode.

I didn't buy the Explorer, just the SE. It needs to be connected to my phone so that I can see my location on the map on my phone in Earthmate.

tflaris
08-03-2016, 14:01
Gotcha.

DuneElliot
08-03-2016, 14:22
Just tested the map link in the email I sent to my dad with the Preset messages (they want to know where I stop for the night for safety reasons). Pretty accurate!

rhjanes
08-03-2016, 14:38
For the "default" Delorme InReach messages, I picked the "I'm starting here" and the "I'm stopping here" ones. I believe you can select three while logged on to the web site (remember to Sync if you change them). You can also send other messages, just a pain to type them into the device. Easier to pare with a smart phone and type those messages onto the phone.

brianb2
08-03-2016, 19:20
Great article on some SPOT message recommendations.

http://andrewskurka.com/2015/spot-messenger-best-practices-definitions-protocols/

DuneElliot
08-04-2016, 08:38
Skurka's reviews were the reason I went with the InReach vs Spot. I trust his opinions and reviews on a lot of things (also bought the trekking poles he suggested).

The nice thing about the preset messages is that you can change them before each trip if you want. For this trip I think I'm going with:

1. Stopping here for the night (with map/location)
2. Delayed but doing fine (with map/location)
3. Need help but not an emergency (with map/location)

ChuckT
08-05-2016, 20:52
I have been carrying my Explorer to and from work (20) miles. In the car it doesn't get a good signal lock. (No I'm not going to hang it out a window.)
I have been seeing a signal lock in the office parking lot, half-way home and home. Hmmm. I'm doing this for practice - when I "need" it is not a good time to struggle with the interface.
Of three trips only one was successfully recorded.
The difference _may_ be that on the successful trip I let the unit get a solid lock before I moved the car.

rocketsocks
08-05-2016, 22:00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HubZInAs0-A

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HubZInAs0-A

rocketsocks
08-05-2016, 22:04
Were it my brand new GPS, I'd have chose the pizza cutter. :D

tflaris
08-06-2016, 06:36
I have been carrying my Explorer to and from work (20) miles. In the car it doesn't get a good signal lock. (No I'm not going to hang it out a window.)
I have been seeing a signal lock in the office parking lot, half-way home and home. Hmmm. I'm doing this for practice - when I "need" it is not a good time to struggle with the interface.
Of three trips only one was successfully recorded.
The difference _may_ be that on the successful trip I let the unit get a solid lock before I moved the car.

In my experience the unit works best line of site. Unlike my 76stc which works well in heavy tree cover. Double check your interval settings on tracking and reporting.

I have had huge success with my mine so far. But I have the orange model. 19 days on the JMT, 200 miles on the FT and 2 section hikes on the AT.

Wife and I used the text messaging feature quite often on the JMT and the unit would send and receive messages best with a clear line of sight to the sky.

Best of luck.

ChuckT
08-06-2016, 13:44
Well I turned it in this morning and the track shows me (driving) leaving the house, going to the causeway bridge, then over the causeway (on foot) and back. Then thru the park, etc. Back in the car and south to breakfast. Then it picked up again after I left the diner and recorded until I reach ed house and turned it off. Wifie says she saw SMS messages from start and when I got back to car.
Conclusion : worked this time, (corrallary) because it had a good lock on the system from when I got in the car.
I was wondering - _IF_ the car windshield interfered with the signal lock. Now I believe as above.
Tommorow's safari is around our subdivision and I should be able to observe the fuctioning and decide if I'm blowing or what.😊
Still struggling with the messaging at the end. After I've chosen recipient(s) and message I expect to see a "Send now?" choice but I don't. Missing something, obviously😕.

tflaris
08-06-2016, 15:16
If you have the phone paired and connected it's easiest to send a message that way.

If you are looking to share your track with someone via email/messaging that's done through tracking icon on the InReach. Use the share button and recipients email/phone number. I always select "MapShare" also when sending out the follow me link.

tflaris
08-06-2016, 15:18
http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160806/b9e0b798e7dff955c03cbb7fe220f7a4.png

ChuckT
08-07-2016, 10:33
I did that. Missing a step somewhere.
DW says she got 3 messages this AM and the Map Share before.
Says she doesn't see any way for 2-way communication. Brung out the Luddite in her😀.

DuneElliot
08-07-2016, 11:20
I did that. Missing a step somewhere.
DW says she got 3 messages this AM and the Map Share before.
Says she doesn't see any way for 2-way communication. Brung out the Luddite in her.

When you click on the link from the message it brings up the map. On the right side of the screen there should be a box to reply to any messages sent. I helped my dad figure it out before I leave tomorrow for 6 days solo so that he knows how it works. He kept the first message I sent so he only has to pull that up to get the text box if he needs to get a hold of me.I'll only be turning it on at night when I camp for a quick check in, or in an emergency.

DuneElliot
08-07-2016, 11:23
Also, on your account tab, scroll to the bottom where it says SMS Message Configuration. Check all three boxes. If you are sending Preset messages, make sure the Mapshare box is checked.

ChuckT
08-07-2016, 19:17
Thanks I'll look at both of those.

ChuckT
08-08-2016, 05:02
For practicing I'm going add my own email and SMS addresses.

ChuckT
08-08-2016, 08:02
When I look at InReach on my Android phone the link to reply to a Start message is there, on the bottom. DW has an iPhone. Anybody using that and can say where the link is on that screen?

ChuckT
08-08-2016, 08:03
Make that "Earthmate" on an Android.

ChuckT
08-09-2016, 11:37
Tried to add myself as SMS and Email addresses (syncing yhrough Eartmate). Didn't work. Hmm.
I'll try again with an email address I seldom use.

ChuckT
08-12-2016, 12:29
It says here ...
The Explorer Manual says that I can delete messages by selecting them in the "Message Page" and then Press Enter to Delete.
Doesn't appear to work. Has this worked for anyone else?

ChuckT
08-14-2016, 16:52
I have noticed that my Explorer will not get and hold a reliable communication fix unless I set it on and aside for awhile, seem like 5 (or even as much as 10? (no I haven't timed it ... yet) ) minutes. I understand the paucity of Iridium satellite coverage but wasn't prepared for first hand encounters with it.
That would explain some of the drop-outs I've seen.

DuneElliot
08-14-2016, 19:34
I have noticed that my Explorer will not get and hold a reliable communication fix unless I set it on and aside for awhile, seem like 5 (or even as much as 10? (no I haven't timed it ... yet) ) minutes. I understand the paucity of Iridium satellite coverage but wasn't prepared for first hand encounters with it.

I just used mine for a 7 day excursion into the Wyoming wilderness. It picked up a satellite connection as soon as I turned it on. I only used it morning and evening for check-ins (and one emergency extraction message) and had no issues with it being accurate and sending a message within a minute or two.

DuneElliot
08-14-2016, 19:35

I just used mine for a 7 day excursion into the Wyoming wilderness. It picked up a satellite connection as soon as I turned it on. I only used it morning and evening for check-ins (and one emergency extraction message) and had no issues with it being accurate and sending a message within a minute or two of it being turned on.

ChuckT
08-14-2016, 20:23
Huh, maybe waiting makes the time seem much longer. I noticed much the same thing when I got my Garmin GPS.

MikekiM
08-16-2016, 11:30
For those interested in renting the SPOT, take a look at Satellite Phone Solutions (http://www.satellitephonesolutions.com/rental/sps-rental-program/sps-spot-rental.htm). I have no affiliation to them.. just found them while searching for rental options. Standard rental period is one week, and shipping time appears to be quicker. It includes fresh batteries, all standard functions, shipping to you for $15.95 (with return shipping optional), one week post rental to get it back to them and rental cost can be applied to the cost of purchase if you decide to do so. Total cost for a week of use is less than the three day rental from LowerGear, and they are on the east coast which is perfect for me.

ChuckT
08-20-2016, 18:30
Figured it out.
Getting a (position) lock is quick enough. The Explorer is receiving.
Hearing and seeing my inReach Explorer complete a 2-way communication with the Iridium satellite network - there's an audio "chirp" - is something else. That can take 3+ minutes.
Price of progress.

FreeGoldRush
08-20-2016, 20:54
Can someone comment on the battery life with an InReach device? Can you describe the usage level that is available based on the battery life you provide? What are their limits on text messages and GPS updates?

Thanks.

ChuckT
08-20-2016, 21:00
I expect, in September, on a 3 day AT hike I'll get 3 working days of life from a full charge.
I'll turn in the Explorer about 8 on day # 1, send out my "Starting here" message with link and keep it on til 7-ish. Then repeat for day 2 and 3.
I will be carrying a battery pack to recharge if I have too.

Shutterbug
08-21-2016, 11:28
Can someone comment on the battery life with an InReach device? Can you describe the usage level that is available based on the battery life you provide? What are their limits on text messages and GPS updates?

Thanks.

I just used my InReach Explorer on a 4 day/3 night hike. I kept it in tracking mode all of the time, but turned it off every night but one (I forgot to turn it off one night.). In addition to the tracking messages, I sent out about 20 messages and received 10. I still had about 15% charge at the end of the hike.

I carried a battery pack with the intention of recharging the InReach at night, but I failed to take the right charging cord.

The limits on text messages is based on your plan. I believe my plan is 45 a month. I have never needed that many. I am not sure what you mean by "GPS updates" but when paired with an iPhone one's GPS location is shown on the map all the time. It is constant. The only time I have noticed it updating is after I have passed through a heavily wooded area where GPS data was not available. As soon as I am in the clear, the GPS information appears again.

ChuckT
08-21-2016, 13:00
Good to know, thanks Shutterbug.

MikekiM
08-25-2016, 14:11
I see conversation is moving away fro the Spot, but I just took one on a solo three day trek..

Tracking was accurate enough, though I track with GaiaGPS which is more accurate.

Ok and checkin msges went out as expected and as far as I can tell none went missing.

Kept my wife in the loop enough to allow her to relax and me comfortable that I could reach help if needed.

Sent from East of Montauk

Shutterbug
08-25-2016, 16:04
We had a "Spot Rescue" on the PCT last week. http://www.lewiscountysirens.com/?p=37935

This woman tried to bypass a snowfield by walking across a scree field. Apparently, she became frightened when the scree started sliding. She sat down and activated her Spot. Numerous hikers offered her assistance, but she declined all help saying, "I have already called for rescue, so I am just going to wait here." In my opinion, she did not really need a rescue. But, she did show that the SPOT does what it is supposed to do. She got a helicopter ride.

OldGringo
08-25-2016, 22:59
I see conversation is moving away fro the Spot, but I just took one on a solo three day trek..

Tracking was accurate enough, though I track with GaiaGPS which is more accurate.

Ok and checkin msges went out as expected and as far as I can tell none went missing.

Kept my wife in the loop enough to allow her to relax and me comfortable that I could reach help if needed.

Sent from East of Montauk

I had the same experience on my 3 day hike in Southwestern NM. The Spot worked as advertised, no missing messages and it kept the wife informed as to our progress. I don't use the "bread crumb" feature, instead turning it off until my next planned checkin.

rhjanes
08-26-2016, 00:30
My InReach, battery life was as noted above. My first day, I had it set at the default of like 30 minute tracking, or was it even 10! That used up, IIRC, around 15 percent. I upped tracking to every hour. I turned it off every night. I'd hit a camp area, start setting up and then send the "i'm stopping here". I'd keep setting up. 30 minutes or so later, I'd look to confirm the message sent and then power off. I didn't bother to recharge it until the third night. I could have run it all day that fourth day, but had the juice in the battery recharger, had charged the phone and IPOD both so said "Why not" and charged the InReach up also.
With tracking set at long intervals and shutting down at night, I'm guessing it will run 5 to 7 days. Shutting down during the day, could also extent the life of the charge. But it might need to be tested. Sometimes, powering this stuff up and down, consumes the same as just leaving it on for 8 hours. Just wondering about that.

ChuckT
11-21-2016, 07:38
One comment - I prefer using my Garmin GPS over my InReach Explorer if all I'm doing is tracking self. The utility of the GPS for this function is head and shoulders above the Explorer.

MikekiM
05-08-2017, 14:50
Follow-up to my earlier post.. though I had used the SPOT successfully, I opted to buy the InReach SE and used it this past weekend with great success.

I chose the SE for a number of reasons...

I record all of my tracks on my Suunto Ambit. It has been flawless in this regard. At this point, I really don't need to review my track while on the trail, it's more for reference once I am back home. I suppose there might be a time I could benefit from having a bread crumb trail, but that's not me right now. I use GaiaGPS as my handheld GPS. That works perfect for me as I always have my iphone with me for camera functions.

What I really needed, and where the SPOT fell short, is two way comm's with my wife. The SPOT allows me one way comm that made both of us feel good that I could communicate and get help if I had an emergency but that didn't help feel she could reach me if she had an emergency.

I sent many preset messages to her throughout the weekend to keep her updated.. Truth told, I would love to have just one more preset message slot, but I'll make due with three. She was able to see my location on the map as I progressed and didn't feel or have the need to respond. I call that a win.

The one challenge I am facing is how best to carry it.. but that's for another thread (https://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/showthread.php/124764-DeLorme-InReach-how-do-you-carry-yours?p=2148656#post2148656)...