PDA

View Full Version : Cheapest way to get to amicocalo ?

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 12:43
I'll be arriving in Gainesville by train. What I'd the cheapest way to get to Springer ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

kayak karl
05-28-2016, 12:44
Walk.... :)

MuddyWaters
05-28-2016, 12:47
Plan on private taxi or shuttle. Theres no public transport to amicalola.

In other words, its going to cost you money.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 14:47
Walk.... :)
Seriously ? How many miles is it

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 14:48
Plan on private taxi or shuttle. Theres no public transport to amicalola.

In other words, its going to cost you money.
How much is a shuttle ?

MuddyWaters
05-28-2016, 15:19
How much is a shuttle ?

dont know. Its an hours drive, about 40 miles. Id plan on $80 with no other information $2/mile

Id highly recomend arriving somewhere the Hiker Hostel @ dahlonega will pick you up, and spend the night with them, and let them shuttle you. Many others here will echo this. First class operation, and a bargain really. The nicest place you will ever stay for $22 /night, or whatever they may charge now., including great breakfast. After being pro-rated because sharing shuttle with others, my shuttle to amicalola cost.....$7 or so. They cant give you a low price in advance, because dont know how many people they will have that day until day before really. But they will prorate it and make it exceedingly fair in my experience.

ski_walker
05-28-2016, 16:05
Do you have the number to dahlonega? And I'm sorry do you mean they'll lick me up from the amtrack?

pilgrimskywheel
05-28-2016, 17:10
Save your money and hitch! Its really easy down there. Actually, if you stand around long enough someone will in all probability pick you up. Lots of folks see so many hikers they know what you are up to. Also try Trail Angels on FB. There is probably one or seven down there.

MuddyWaters
05-28-2016, 17:54
Do you have the number to dahlonega? And I'm sorry do you mean they'll lick me up from the amtrack?

They will pick you up, lodge you, feed you bkfast, and shuttle you to amicalola all for $85 during thru hiker season. Good deal. Google them and check their prices, thru hiker special, etc. Need reservations way in advance.

The catch is from gainesville is you need to be there early enough for it to be convenient for them. They wont come pick you up at 8 pm.

solace
05-28-2016, 21:31
Honestly, you CAN hitch, esp now that its warmer out.. the average cab fare is @ $80 this season... HIker Hostel is THE BEST to go however!

pilgrimskywheel
05-29-2016, 10:46
Spend or keep $100? (I round everything up.) Hmmm. $85 buys a lot more than a ride and a bed and a place to crash. Rides are free and you're carrying a bed and a place to crash. You'll really want the dough when you get to Niel's Gap - trust me. Hitching is in my opinion part of the requisite skill set which makes an experienced hiker. No waiting, no fees, and people give you stuff! Hell, if you're on RT19 in GA you just might meet a country gal wild about Yankees! Here's where I brag on me: I hitched from Front Royal PA, to Standing Bear Farm TN in 3 days, trail to trail. That's faster than the $250 Greyhound to Asheville. (There is no station near Front Royal either.) I kept the dough and threw a party when I got there.

pilgrimskywheel
05-29-2016, 10:50
Oops. I meant Port Clinton PA. Front Royal VA is where you hitch back to when you finish Aquablazing Shenandoah and get the boats back to Waynesboro.

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 13:11
Kinda nervous too hitch hike. I'll be by myself.

solace
05-29-2016, 14:15
Hitching can be a bit nerve-wracking, but, I've hitched many times down south... and every time was a funny story... have to agree w/ Pilgrimskywheel ~ you CAN def save some $$$ yet, its @ your comfort level as well.....

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 23:20
So once I arrive in Gainesville rather then pay and 80 dollar taxi you say I should hitch hike to amicalola ? I am a yankee haha I just wish I could run into another hiker to hitch with

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-30-2016, 07:14
Hell, if you're on RT19 in GA you just might meet a country gal wild about Yankees!

ummmmm ... No.

Even mountain women have a standard they maintain.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Christoph
05-30-2016, 07:31
Get used to hitchin' if you're thru hiking. :) It's pretty easy in that area.

saltysack
05-30-2016, 07:37
ummmmm ... No.

Even mountain women have a standard they maintain.

OkeefenokeeJoe

[emoji23]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pilgrimskywheel
05-30-2016, 21:12
Apparently somebody didn't get lucky hitching up RT 19 - don't hate. Check my stats. Okkkeeefawhatev. Nobody's doubting you. Happy M-day fellow vets! And a shout out ta all you GA peaches on the way up from Hotlanta!!!! If you don't have anything nice to say...