PDA

View Full Version : 100 mile wilderness pick up

momof316
05-28-2016, 15:32
South bound hikers from abol bridge currently about 30 miles south was wandering about pick up location. I know of jo mary rd at mile 50ish but any where easily accessible for me and them? I was told I wouldd have to pay $7 per person to use jo mary road. Thanks

wormer
05-28-2016, 16:33
I know of two pick up locations south of the Jo Mary road crossing, but they aren't easily accessible. One at Kokadjo take the Namakanta Road to the Jo Mary Road you could get picked at the AT road crossing at the Nahumakanta Lake outlet. The other would mean you would have to hike south of the Jo Mary crossing to the B Pond Rd yellow gate. You would use the Frenchtown Rd out of Kokadjo to get to the yellow gate, but if your vehicle is low clearance I wouldn't risk it on either pick up routes. Another idea is because a fee per person is charged to use the Jo Mary Road have just a driver pick you up ($7 per person per day) and keep the passengers to a minimum. If your going to stay on the trail Monson would be much easier for being picked up if you decide not to use the Jo Mary road crossing.

Turk6177
05-29-2016, 01:11
Gulf Hagas has a trail head on a logging road. My nephew and I got picked up there after he was injured. It is approximately mile 82.8 southbound. I believe it is Katahdin Iron Works Rd.

chiefduffy
05-29-2016, 06:24
Jo Mary road at the trail crossing is easy, stop at the gate and pay. Namanka Lake north is reachable at Pollywog Stream, and N. Lake south at the boat ramp/camp. Kakadjo B Pond Rd/Johnson Pond Rd at Crawford Pond is another fairly easy access, 8 trail miles further south of Jo Mary. There are several other crossing further south accessible with a car. I drive these roads every day, pm me or call me at the AT Lodge in Millinocket.

momof316
05-29-2016, 10:29
Thank you...he contacted me and said he was at third lean to and was wondering from there how many miles to mary jo rd crossing?

One Half
05-29-2016, 11:15
Thank you...he contacted me and said he was at third lean to and was wondering from there how many miles to mary jo rd crossing?

does he not have a guide or a map or anything?

rafe
05-29-2016, 11:23

does he not have a guide or a map or anything?

Very weird. Hiker calls Mom on cell, with vague description of location, asking for navigational guidance on the trail?

"Third shelter" from where? How did he count shelters? Many of them are off the trail a ways and not visible from the trail.

Something about this picture is wrong...

momof316
05-29-2016, 11:38
Don't need to be rude...he was hiking south from abol bridge I don't know how he knows that's just what he said...just trying to figure out mileage to know when to pick up at jo mary rd

chiefduffy
05-29-2016, 12:19
18 miles, from Wadleigh Stream lean to.