PDA

View Full Version : Accurate mileage measuring?

southernfire97
05-28-2016, 16:24
Hi all,
New to the forum. How are you all measuring your trail mileage between towns, shelters, etc..? I assume most are using some form of GPS, but that is just a guess. Thanks in advance.

Turtle-2013
05-28-2016, 17:12
I just use the trail guide books ... for differing reasons I use the "Appalachian Trail Data Book", the "Appalachian Trail Book of Profiles", and "The A.T. Guide (AWOL) north and southbound versions as needed.

southernfire97
05-28-2016, 17:17
Thanks Turtle

MuddyWaters
05-28-2016, 17:36
Hi all,
New to the forum. How are you all measuring your trail mileage between towns, shelters, etc..? I assume most are using some form of GPS, but that is just a guess. Thanks in advance.

Its on trail guide pages and maps
Mostly you can go by time...like clockwork.
You quickly learn you do x mph uphill, and y mph downhill, and can tell how long it will take you to get to z based on this, within a few minutes. Scary accurate some times.

Now, distances arent that precise often. You might have a map that says its 5.2 miles from x to y. A trail sign might say its 5.4. Then another sign 0.5 miles later might say its 5.2. Side trails to water and shelter often say 0.1 to 0.4 miles, and can seem pretty underestimated sonetimes.

southernfire97
05-28-2016, 17:39
Thanks Muddy. I know what I average around my home area, I will just have to figure out my speeds on the hills. I'm a flat lander...

garlic08
05-28-2016, 18:07
For trails that aren't very well measured, say the CDT where you might hike over 20 miles between known points (well, back when I did it, maybe not anymore), your watch is your best friend. I use my watch for navigation way more than I use a compass. Make notes of times on your map or in your guidebook, and you'll learn your pace under various conditions.

rafe
05-29-2016, 00:12
For trails that aren't very well measured, say the CDT where you might hike over 20 miles between known points (well, back when I did it, maybe not anymore), your watch is your best friend. I use my watch for navigation way more than I use a compass. Make notes of times on your map or in your guidebook, and you'll learn your pace under various conditions.

Yep, there's something to that. But I generally carry maps in any case -- you need either a map or guide to calibrate your pace before dead reckoning will work.

AfterParty
05-29-2016, 00:52
Pace count and beads takes me 61 to go 100 meters. Jk but no really.

Turk6177
05-29-2016, 01:01
I use AWOL's guide book. There are ample decipherable landmarks in there to gauge your progress. I think after a couple days, you get an idea of how far you have gone just by how long you have been walking. You get pretty good at knowing how far something is solely based on what time you left a previous point.

CamelMan
05-29-2016, 10:20
On day hikes I use a Garmin, but I like to keep track of numbers. On the piece of AT I did, I just used the guidebook.

Malto
05-29-2016, 10:27
Its on trail guide pages and maps
Mostly you can go by time...like clockwork.
You quickly learn you do x mph uphill, and y mph downhill, and can tell how long it will take you to get to z based on this, within a few minutes. Scary accurate some times.

Now, distances arent that precise often. You might have a map that says its 5.2 miles from x to y. A trail sign might say its 5.4. Then another sign 0.5 miles later might say its 5.2. Side trails to water and shelter often say 0.1 to 0.4 miles, and can seem pretty underestimated sonetimes.

I trust hiking time more than mileage of trail signs because I have seen many cases of your example.

Spirit Walker
05-30-2016, 21:12
GPS units have limited battery life, so aren't very useful for hikers who are out for multiple days. Trail guides are based on volunteers wheeling the trail and are generally accurate, unless there have been recent relocations.