PDA

View Full Version : Hiker boxes

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 01:48
So I'm really low on cash, like I have 200 dollars to my name, 8 days worth off food. I have plans to have family send me packages but in the mean time, is there ever any food in hiker boxes ? Not trying to be a grom but when I'm completely out ?

Sent from my HTCD200LVW using Tapatalk

squeezebox
05-29-2016, 02:15
Sounds like the current $$ for a thru is about $4K minimum. I'm guessing a lot of folks will say you won't last a week. If you can't find what you really need in the hiker box what are you gonna do?? Starvation is not a pretty sight.

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 02:18
I've heard stories of people leaving with less then 500 and making it. That's all part of the journey right ?

mrcoffeect
05-29-2016, 07:34
When your out of cash and food the vacation is pretty much in it's death throws.

OkeefenokeeJoe
05-29-2016, 07:37
I'd say it's best to wait until you're an adult and your decision-making ability has matured and (hopefully) improved.

OkeefenokeeJoe

Hikingjim
05-29-2016, 07:43
leaving with less than $500 and making it is not part of the journey, it's being a mobile beggar. Unless you take years and stop to work to make a living along the way...
I do have sympathy with people that run near the end, but not whose entire plan is to raid hiker boxes if their packages don't line up.

there are a few hiker boxes I've seen that could give you some solid supply, whereas others it's mostly junk, a few terrible looking food items, and weird non-edible supplies that people took along. so if you count on this, you might be seriously disappointed

Hopefully you realize that things like your shoes are not going to last 2200 miles.

mrcoffeect
05-29-2016, 07:50
Im not saying don't go for it. I love a good adventure. And we all know the best adventures happen when a perfect plan goes horribly off the tracks.

Grampie
05-29-2016, 09:26
I don't think that you could sustain you hike very long relying on food left in "hiker boxes." Most of the stuff left by other hikers is just crap that they don't want.

mattjv89
05-29-2016, 09:34
During peak season there is food in hiker boxes. I'm not really sure how much you'll find since you're starting past the end of peak season. Sometimes the hiker boxes are good pickings and other times they a bunch of half empty items that some other hiker has already laid hands on.

You don't sound interested in listening to the advice about your budget so I won't belabor the point, but it suffices to say that $200 is about half of what I spent just on replacing shoes.

Greenlight
05-29-2016, 09:34
I wonder how many people have attached themselves as an indentured servant to someone else who wants to hike the trail. Is that even possible? I would bet that a lot of retirees who would love to thru-hike, don't do so because they can't convince anyone to go with them. All other things considered, what would be the appropriateness of offering companion hiker services to such a person, on the only condition that they buy the food. Stranger arrangements have been made. The "indentured" person's role could be to not abandon their companion. Maybe that person has to make and break camp every day in return for the food. Obviously this could go awry if their personalities wound up being incompatible, and that could easily end the hike...but what do y'alls think of that sort of arrangement? It sounds a bit parasitic on the face of it, but if there was a fair exchange of goods and services, maybe not so much.

Bronk
05-29-2016, 09:48
Set aside enough money for a bus ticket home, or have someone willing to buy you one before you go. Then just hike and see how far you get. 8 days of food and $200 ought to get you a couple of hundred miles...add 3 or 4 days for every maildrop you get. With the odd hiker box score you could probably make it to Damascus if you are frugal.

Christoph
05-29-2016, 10:19
To me, a hiker box isn't something you should rely on for the sole purpose of getting your meal. Most I've run into have little to nothing edible in them (other than snacks and Ramen). If you're raiding boxes, you're taking away from others that may need something as well. Plan the trip, it doesn't have to cost thousands but you're either going to end up sick from eating left over junk for so long, or stuck in some town begging for food with no way to return home.

MuddyWaters
05-29-2016, 10:27
During busy times, places where people mail resupplies can be literally overflowing with food, most mail themselves more than they want to carry.

After that, it diminishes quickly to stuff no one wants. Employees and passers thru raid them and take whatever is good. Afterall, this is discarded stuff, not free stuff for hikers. Its one step from the garbage can.

One Half
05-29-2016, 11:16
I've heard stories of people leaving with less then 500 and making it. That's all part of the journey right ?

not really

Rockie
05-29-2016, 12:12
There will be lots of times your friends will go into town and you'll not be able to. Hiker boxes are usually found at hostels and other hiker establishments which are places you won't be able to go if you can't pay. It's frowned upon to walk into a hostel you are not staying at for the simple purpose of rifling through their box. So to plan to raid hiker boxes as a means of supporting your hike is a bad idea. Most likely you'll end up standing around waiting for someone to feel sorry for you and to take care of you. Some would call that freeloading.

rafe
05-29-2016, 12:38

One in 10000 can pull that off, and judging by your recent queries, I suspect you're not that one.

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 12:58
Man get out of here with your negative vibes

TNhiker
05-29-2016, 13:15
That's not negative----that's truth........

learn the difference.......

Cheyou
05-29-2016, 13:42
I did not see any free food at shelters only gear. Did c food at hostel . Sometimes u can work at the hostel for food,lodging cash

good luck

George
05-29-2016, 14:25
OK - you want a real plan to do the trail starting with 200 and some vague possibility of being sent food (but no mention of money)

plan on it taking about a year and working along the way - since you are starting in the south, flip at some point

this forum could be a good resource for getting work, but you are quickly burning your credibility/ good will here - so far you are just one of many looking for handouts for your vacation - change your tone/ attitude and you just may make it

Puddlefish
05-29-2016, 16:02
Early on the trail I saw a whole lot of heavy non-nutricious food of dubious cleanliness in the boxes. So if you want to spend 40 minutes per meal cooking white rice, then sure, there's free food.

Lone Wolf
05-29-2016, 16:18
"hiker boxes" are just trash cans. i threw out 90% of the crap on a daily basis when i was helping at The Place

solace
05-29-2016, 16:24
Those BOXES will get smaller & smaller the farther NOBO you get. Early, most hikers aren't sure what they like, nor how much, so the amount being put into drop boxes is quite a bit. By Damascus, most THRU's have it figured out & the hiker boxes resemble more of an ace hardware box.. full of duct tape, 1/10 full fuel cannisters, ziploc baggies with a small amount of oatmeal & mystery food and old shoes! So... get what you can, WHILE YOU CAN... think @ work for stay! All the best

squeezebox
05-29-2016, 16:29
Your responsibility is to feed yourself. Provide your own equipment etc. If you can't do that, don't show up. $200 won't even get you to and from the trail.
Is this a troll??

capehiker
05-29-2016, 16:34
Ski Walker- how far are you?

George
05-29-2016, 16:38
Is this a troll??

not a troll. several questions/ threads some not controversial

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 23:29
Man I'm not trying to sound like a grom, nor am I a troll. I'm sorry if I'm coming off as needy, but circumstance has put me in this place. I guess I should of reworded my question buy asking if there was opportunity s to work along the trail in return for food (some thru hikers told me that last year I section hiked) so please everyone I would like to gain my credibility back by saying sorry for sounding like a bum. I am in a really tough season though and this trip isn't a "vacation" at all. It s a journey to find my self, away from what the worlds been forcing me to be. It's not just a hike man. It's so much more then that. Mentally, spiritually. I'll be arriving in Gainesville tomorrow morning.

dudeijuststarted
05-29-2016, 23:50
get a job like everybody else, then hike. none of us like doing what the man forces us to do.

the trail does have an economy and the people rely upon cash for services. the trail is also lobbied for, conserved, and maintained at a cost funded by donations (do you plan to make one?) trail magic is intended as a special treat, not a subsidy program.

ski_walker
05-29-2016, 23:58
Dudeijuststarted - I've been working since I was 15, I've been on my own since I was 17. Paying rent, insurance food, everything. That's why it's so hard to save any money bcuz I'm not getting any help from my parents. I recently quit my restaurant job because I recently realized some dark sided stuff was going on there and the place I was living at. If you knew my situation I think you would understand why I'm just up and leaving. I'd rather take my chances on the trail then where I currently am. I'm not going to be groming out of the hiker boxes .

admirald7s
05-30-2016, 00:52
Dudeijuststarted - I've been working since I was 15, I've been on my own since I was 17. Paying rent, insurance food, everything. That's why it's so hard to save any money bcuz I'm not getting any help from my parents. I recently quit my restaurant job because I recently realized some dark sided stuff was going on there and the place I was living at. If you knew my situation I think you would understand why I'm just up and leaving. I'd rather take my chances on the trail then where I currently am. I'm not going to be groming out of the hiker boxes .

If you felt the need to leave abruptly leave your job and wherever you were calling home, perhaps the most prudent thing to do would be to get a similar job at a similar place. Based on this and other threads, I don't think you've thought your hike out very well - certainly not in terms of why you're doing it, why now, what will be different at the end, etc. Do you have a large inheritance waiting in BSP? A job offer? The love of your life? I've got my fingers crossed for you, but I suspect not.

In the best case, in 5-7 months you're in the same boat you're in now: no job, no place to live, etc. However, you will also be $200 poorer. Why not use that money now to get your life heading in the right direction again? You can hike the AT in the future when your situation is more stable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ski_walker
05-30-2016, 01:05
I totally understand where your coming from. I just feel like if I don't do it now, I never will. I have family in VA and NJ, so if I can at least make it that far, I can catch up with them and figure my next move

Starchild
05-30-2016, 06:51
I wonder how many people have attached themselves as an indentured servant to someone else who wants to hike the trail. Is that even possible? I would bet that a lot of retirees who would love to thru-hike, don't do so because they can't convince anyone to go with them. All other things considered, what would be the appropriateness of offering companion hiker services to such a person, on the only condition that they buy the food. Stranger arrangements have been made. The "indentured" person's role could be to not abandon their companion. Maybe that person has to make and break camp every day in return for the food. Obviously this could go awry if their personalities wound up being incompatible, and that could easily end the hike...but what do y'alls think of that sort of arrangement? It sounds a bit parasitic on the face of it, but if there was a fair exchange of goods and services, maybe not so much.
There was a poster a few years ago, 'Sir Hardbody' IIRC who was soliciting a female companion for the position you state, perhaps you can give that a search, better if you are female, but if not, who knows perhaps his standards has changed.

Maydog
05-30-2016, 07:53
You won't "find yourself" on the trail or anywhere else for that matter. Decide who you want to be, make a plan, and make small steps toward completion of the plan on a daily basis. Life doesn't just happen to us randomly. Sure, there are surprises but our daily choices have far more influence over our lives than random chance does. Don't hope for a better life; make one. I hope you get on the trail at some point and that it is better than you ever expected. But the only place you will "find yourself" is inside of you, not "out there" somewhere.

greensleep
05-30-2016, 08:05
You won't "find yourself" on the trail or anywhere else for that matter. Decide who you want to be, make a plan, and make small steps toward completion of the plan on a daily basis. Life doesn't just happen to us randomly. Sure, there are surprises but our daily choices have far more influence over our lives than random chance does. Don't hope for a better life; make one. I hope you get on the trail at some point and that it is better than you ever expected. But the only place you will "find yourself" is inside of you, not "out there" somewhere.
As Mitch Hedberg said "I'm tired of chasing my dreams; I'll find out where they're going and hook up with them there."

BonBon
05-30-2016, 08:24
As Mitch Hedberg said "I'm tired of chasing my dreams; I'll find out where they're going and hook up with them there."

Mitch was my cousin and that is the quote I used on my journal. Guess what- Mitch started out by leaving home at 18 after he graduated, in an old van and with no experience or money. But he knew what he wanted to do. Everyone told him he was nuts. He worked in places, got gigs that were small and travelled all over. Eventually he ended up on the Letterman show, a bunch of times. Long story short- he did it. He was very successful in his field before his death.
Go ahead and try. It seems like a crazy long shot, but you probably won't die of starvation, unless you get lost, which is kinda hard to do. Hiker boxes have stuff like long grain rice and long cook quinoa and crushed cookies. But I have seen some good stuff too, although it is a little late in the season for them to be really full of stuff.
Nothing ventured nothing gained, and all that.

rmitchell
05-30-2016, 08:28
Want to spend some time on the AT? Consider joining a trail crew. You can try a week or multiple weeks. Hard work, good company, great scenery and all the food you can eat. I've done 5, each a little different. Cost=$0. Check ATC website or links on this site.

Hikingjim
05-30-2016, 08:46
take a bus up to your family and do a section hike.

or go work as trail crew in the white mountains or another type of outdoor gig somewhere else. You could apply for jobs as caretaker of a shelter on the long trail , etc. You'll certain get away from everything.

You don't need to just walk for 6 months for a change of scenery. That's a luxury

DavidNH
05-30-2016, 11:56
you think you might thru hike the AT starting with less than 200 bucks? not possible. Your only chance would be to work along the way (as George posted) but who's to say you'll regularly get a small job when you need to? and perhaps the hiking would leave you too tired.. not to mention famished. THis is a really bad idea. You need to have several thou in the bank first before you even think of an AT thru hike!

Lone Wolf
05-30-2016, 12:10
this trip isn't a "vacation" at all. It s a journey to find my self

you're gonna find yourself tired, hungry and broke

capehiker
05-30-2016, 12:18
I would love to be proved wrong, but you won't make it past NOC. I'm just being real. Enjoy your time on the trail while you can, though.

DavidNH
05-30-2016, 12:27
A word about hiker boxes.
I thru hiked the AT in 2006. I had enough funds that I never worried about hiker boxes or running out of money. But to your situation... know that what you find in a hiker box is the stuff that other hikers don't want. You will be eating tons and tons of ramen noodles. that won't fill you up. You won't find snickers bars (energy that gets you up mtns) and what would you do when your gear breaks? or you need to replace your boots? this is a really bad idea... trying to hike the AT with only a couple hundred bucks. I guarantee you won't get past NC if you even get that far.

Rockie
05-30-2016, 12:28
I commented yesterday and have felt bad about it ever since. I wasn't very encouraging and I regret that. This is a very young man and he's in a tough spot. Pulling yourself up by your boot straps just isn't as easy as it used to be. This guy is gonna start out and there's no changing his mind. I admire that determination and desire to improve his situation. I'm wishing him all the best.

Rockie
05-30-2016, 12:48
I commented yesterday and have felt bad about it ever since. I wasn't very encouraging and I regret that. This is a very young man and he's in a tough spot. Pulling yourself up by your boot straps just isn't as easy as it used to be. This guy is gonna start out and there's no changing his mind. I admire that determination and desire to improve his situation. I'm wishing him all the best.

rafe
05-30-2016, 13:04

Is it our duty on this forum to encourage any and every ill-considered quest? Do we even know that the OP is a young man?

Well, assuming so -- I say, let the young fella go and see how it turns out. Better yet, let us know how it went. I'd be happy to be wrong on this one.

One Half
05-30-2016, 17:43

Oh my! I've been "on my own" since 17. Went to college, paid that off. Supported husband while he went to college. paid off student loans. raised a son who is now 18. We get no help from our parents either! Holy crap! But we save money. I don't know how old you are but sounds like you need to grow up.

Bronk
05-31-2016, 08:58
You can go on a hiking trip for $200. Can you make it all the way from Georgia to Maine on $200? Nope. But you can spend a couple weeks in the woods for that amount. The fact is that there are many, many people who start a "thruhike" every year and don't spend more than a week or two on the trail. I say hit the trail and see how far you can make it. That's all most thruhikers are doing anyway, and with a bit of determination I'd make a fair bet that you'd make it further than many people with a fat bank account.

Hikingjim
05-31-2016, 09:08
I agree that there's no great reason to encourage a poorly planned thru-hike with very limited resources.
A change of scenery can involve work & also a lot of outdoor activity... and saving money for a thru-hike if it's desired

CamelMan
06-01-2016, 08:50
I recently quit my restaurant job because I recently realized some dark sided stuff was going on there and the place I was living at. If you knew my situation...

What kind of "dark sided stuff"? Ask if your family in VA would take you in for a while, while you look for a job and move there. If you want to run away from your problems, that sounds like the most reasonable way to do it. Realize, though, that it sounds like you are trying to run away from your problems. Sometimes, you have to do it, but in that case, do it well so you don't have to go back any time soon. You can find yourself in VA. Shenandoah is beautiful, maybe the concessionaires there are hiring people with customer service experience?

ski_walker
06-01-2016, 17:53
Well I made it 38 miles so far too neels gap. Met up with some other late thru hikers. The trio has been awesome. Crazy hike just getting to Springer gotta say! Food wise, I brought enough for 7 days, I've had some weekend hikers that were leaving early ask me if I was good on food. The trail does provide in a really cool way. not sure how far I'll make it, but it's more the journey then the destination. Thanks for all the support guys !

ShelterLeopard
06-06-2016, 23:36
Dude, if you need to get off trail, the suggestions of joining a trail crew are great!!!

Dogwood
06-07-2016, 00:18
Squirrels and a sling shot, road kill, mice(AT lean-tos are a good hunting ground), garbage cans, 5 lb bags of white rice(Ramen will be a treat), peanuts bought from bulk bins(shelled), fly a 'banjo playing Sherpa for hire' sign at THs, leftover whatever and whenever in hiker boxes, tree bark/leaf tea, pass the hat after putting on a juggling show(make it exciting with a running chainsaw, bowling ball, pail of water, marshmallow, and a flaming Tiki torch, do that and I'll even donate a Ramen), plasma bank, sell your three chrome rims/X Box, limp and moan than ask for medical donations, Manna from Heaven, start a GoFundMe or KickStarter fundraising campaign to pogo stick the entire AT,....boing, boing, boing,....;):p:D

Dogwood
06-07-2016, 00:36
Learn how to do gear repairs on trail, SERIOUSLY. Sew/needle and heavy thread, Tenacious Tape, Seam Grip, offer extra tent pole sleeve connectors for broken poles, tent patches(cuben fiber, silny, etc in different wts and colors), Waterproofing/DWR spray, nanonseeum bug netting stick on patches, offer spare shortie ankle height socks, AT logged bandanas, visors, etc., offer shoe/trail runner cleaning services...a;; while the customer waits.

Make some Sweet Tea and offer it at THs while flying a Donations Accepted Sign,...

I've painted, pulled weeds, mowed lawns, milked goats, planted flower boxes at restaurants, worked at Botanical Gardens, helped a rancher fix fences, helped build a shed, worked trail crews(paid and unpaid but several trail crew members donated to my hike), washed a boat at a marina(Yup!), worked for 3 days at a Plant Nursery, chopped firewood, stacked firewood(different times),...all while on hikes...often just to do something else for a few days but I did get paid for many of these jobs.

Dogwood
06-07-2016, 01:00
If you're seriously not a bullsharter not wanting to be a fkin MOOCH??? this is the U.S. of A where IF IF IF you want a job you can get one. Fund your own hike!!! For crying out loud people are sealing themselves in darkened storage containers with 30 other illegals for three weeks or more crossing expanses of open ocean when upon arriving enter into indentured servitude, crossing deserts/wading rivers evading law enforcement risking death for 100's if not 1000's of kilometers without knowing English, having I.D, car, money....etc for opportunities of things like work who bust their arses and make it. And, there is no legitimate reason why one(YOU) can't do it with your enhanced position as a U.S. citizen while on the cushy AT.

Wanna hike join the U.S. Army or Marines, take up with some Asians, Mexicans, etc. They will show you how to hike and not be a mooch.

MtDoraDave
06-07-2016, 07:29
In a search to "find yourself" on the trail, try to keep the proper attitude or who you find may not be someone you like. Be gracious for any help you get rather than expecting to receive it. When you look back on this experience, will it be filled with resentment for what you didn't get - or will it be appreciation for what you were able to do? The choice is yours.
As others have said, stop and work for money/ food/ shelter when the opportunity arises. You will feel much more accomplished if you earn it, rather than relying on others to do it for you.

Good luck.

DavidNH
06-07-2016, 09:36
you've made it 38 miles to Neel's Gap. That's further than some hikers get so you can feel good about that. But one doesn't spend any money while in the woods on the trail. One spends money in towns. Neels Gap is basically your first town. It's not a town but a hostel but still. You'll probably spend a chunk of your 200 or so bucks right there. Somewhere in GA or NC you'll run out of money. Trail magic is nice but only gets you so far.

Bronk
06-07-2016, 14:28
I'd bet he makes it to Hot Springs at least.

skylar24
06-07-2016, 16:44
Have you started yet? If not, where do you intend on starting from?

skylar24
06-07-2016, 16:45
oops, scratch that. I see you have started.

ski_walker
06-07-2016, 21:35
I've made it to NC, still going strong. I'm going to stop at the noc and see if they have any jobs available for a month or so. Thanks for all encouraging words. And those of you who just called me a bum, well, I'll be praying for you along my journey. And for those of you who said I won't make it. Well I'll take a picture when I'm on top of mnt katahdin. Respectively -skywalker

OldNorth
06-07-2016, 21:53
Good luck with your job search. Please keep us updated when you get back on the trail!

SWODaddy
06-07-2016, 22:22

Hmm... interesting idea. Sort of like a cross between a Sherpa and a hippie.

perrymk
06-08-2016, 07:40

I think there was an ad on eBay a while back. A young man was offering himself as the Sherpa in exchange for expenses.

I would consider hiring a support person with vehicle (or to drive my vehicle), not necessarily a hiking companion. One of the big problems (for me) is I am unlikely willing to pay the same salary as I would likely wish to charge if someone else wanted a similar service from me. The other big problem is finding someone can put their life on hold for six months. In all likelihood I will hire a house sitter and ask/pay them to act as home base support also. Ship new footwear, exchange sleeping gear, etc.

Perhaps this should be moved to another thread.

solace
06-08-2016, 11:34
The NOC is a good possibility to get a job, they were hiring alot pre-season (back in March) but, get on their website & take a look!?! They typically do not have work for stay here, but it never hurts to ask. Your best bet is prob Uncle Johnny's Hostel in Erwin, you can do work for stay & may be able to earn a few dollars as well. Keep a good attitude up... also, take a look in Hot Springs & Erwin, see if local landscaping companies, ect need a few days work? Its that time of the year!
BEST!

ski_walker
06-09-2016, 09:33
Thank-you ! I called the noc and they said they had a few positions available so I'm pretty stoked !:)

ski_walker
06-09-2016, 09:34
Which is great cuz I'll be there in 4 days and that's about how much food I have left

solace
06-09-2016, 09:50
Awsome to hear!! see if they have something for short term... make enough to get to Damascus & see if you can find work there! Check every possibility! Remember, tehre is no "right" time to hike the AT... yes, some times are better for weather of course, but do it when YOU can, on your dime... keep the spirits up!

gracebowen
06-09-2016, 15:10
Im glad for you too. Do you have a trail journal?

ski_walker
06-09-2016, 19:40
No, I need one though !

lemon b
06-12-2016, 17:37
Sell Your phone and buy food

MtDoraDave
06-22-2016, 07:37
Hmmm... wonder how ski walker is doing.

Diamondlil
07-01-2016, 22:35