PDA

View Full Version : Hyperlite Help

NewGuyOne
05-29-2016, 11:19
Hi

I want to buy my pack in the next few days and cant decide between a Hyperlight 3400 series or a 4400 series? Does anyone have any opinions? This pack is for my tru hike next year and im not sure if its better to save the weight and money or pay more for the 4400 series.

Any opinions welcome

Im trying to go lightweight but this is somewhere i don't mind spending a few ounces if its worth it

Thanks

One Half
05-29-2016, 11:24
if you have all your gear except your pack and know how much food you will likely carry out of resupply points plus water, I would put it all in a box and figure out the amount of space needed your pack to be. then order appropriately

la.lindsey
05-29-2016, 11:51
I have the 3400 and have never come close to hitting capacity. I carry my pad on the outside, but in the winter I might switch to my xtherm...and then I'd probably put my tent on the outside. I think it has loads of room *for me* and my ~13lb base weight.

I was using a 45+10 pack before, though, and had been downsizing on each section, so I knew the 3400 would be fine for whatever.

I'll second penny pincher. If you have all your gear already, figure it out from there. If you don't...well, I honestly think the 3400 is plenty big, especially if you want to go lightweight. I only do sections, but I always think about what I'd have to adjust for a thruhike and it's honestly not much. The difference, for me, between a 10 day section and a thru hike would be pretty small. I think. (I'm sure someone will be happy to correct me.)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

mattjv89
05-29-2016, 12:50
I would go with the 3400, I used one on my thru and it was plenty of capacity for my light but not UL gear, up to 5 days of food and packing extras like a grinder and a couple sodas or whatever else out of town. I generally agree with the advice about getting all the gear first and seeing what fits. In this case however, I would venture to say that if you need a 4400 pack for a regular season AT thru you are trying to pack way too much stuff. 4400 cubic inches is about 72 liters, that is a big pack for the AT.

SteelCut
05-29-2016, 13:03
I have the 3400 and it's too large except when it's really cold. But, I have my gear optimized. As long as you aren't carrying a gigantic tent and a synthetic sleeping bag you will be fine with it for a thru.

Dogwood
05-29-2016, 14:01
Go with the 55 L(3400 cubes) which I wouldn't be surprised at all if you find even that too large a volume in summer and as you and your kit evolve on an AT thru.