PDA

View Full Version : Memorial Day

daddytwosticks
05-30-2016, 08:04
As you are relaxing today and maybe eating a burger or hot dog, think about the men and women of the military who gave up their lives for us. Thanks to them all.

Greenlight
05-30-2016, 08:21
I do, d2s. As the father of a veteran who served as a combat medic in Afghanistan, and got to come home, we bow our heads on Memorial Day and give thanks for their ultimate sacrifice. I also realize that most of the service members who return from combat, leave a piece of themselves over there, and bring home some things they wish could have stayed behind. We call it PTSD, and as we continue to learn more things about it, more help may become available. But I do know this: Hiking helps.

To honor the veterans who made it back but still struggle with what they saw and heard, and what they had to do, make a commitment to, sometime over the next year, invite a combat vet to go hiking with you. It can open a whole new world of healing for them.

35king
05-30-2016, 09:08
I will remember. Thank you for posting in their memory.

MuddyWaters
05-30-2016, 09:35

yep, keep in mind whats important

Spoppy
05-31-2016, 00:50
Greenlight, you are spot on regarding PTSD and the time machine fight daily. I second your thoughts on hiking. Being on a trail greatly reduces the effects of PTSD time travel, and truly feel a long distant walk may be the best therapy I can do for myself.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

squeezebox
05-31-2016, 08:31
Also think about the non-military people who gave up their lives for freedom. Union workers who were killed by the Pinkertons. Gay rights people beaten to death at Stonewall. Civil rights activists. Black men linched. Their sacrifices add greatly to our freedom, right here at home.

Pedaling Fool
05-31-2016, 08:40
I saw this somewhere else and thought it cool....

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

~ Charles Michael Province, U.S. Army

Spoppy
05-31-2016, 10:20
Pedaling Fool, your post awesome, gonna have to save it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

rocketsocks
05-31-2016, 11:56
I saw this somewhere else and thought it cool....

It is the Soldier, not the minister
Who has given us freedom of religion.
It is the Soldier, not the reporter
Who has given us freedom of the press.
It is the Soldier, not the poet
Who has given us freedom of speech.
It is the Soldier, not the campus organizer
Who has given us freedom to protest.
It is the Soldier, not the lawyer
Who has given us the right to a fair trial.
It is the Soldier, not the politician
Who has given us the right to vote.
It is the Soldier who salutes the flag,
Who serves beneath the flag,
And whose coffin is draped by the flag,
Who allows the protester to burn the flag.

~ Charles Michael Province, U.S. Armyi like that a lot. Thanks to all who have served my fo try when I did not, never will it be overlooked.

rocketsocks
05-31-2016, 11:57
Country...ugh! :(

Hosh
05-31-2016, 19:01
Thankfully our vets get much better treatment today than decades ago. Exception might be the mess at the VA, but I love to see Vietnam vets wearing their hats and colors. Our country treated them like sh** in the 70's, 80's &90's with all the political correctness bs.

I was at the Indy 500 over the weekend, you could have heard a pin drop among 350,000 people when they played Taps. They had 5 living Pearl Harbor veterans born in Indiana honored at the ceremonies including a lengthy video on the "Day of Infamy".

Too bad our President couldn't stop and lay a wreath at the Arizona on his way back from Japan.