PDA

View Full Version : May not be able to save enough.

skinnbones
05-30-2016, 11:26
If I'm unable to raise the funds for a NOBO thru hike next spring, typically how far would $1500 take me if all my gear was purchased? Thanks.

Hikingjim
05-30-2016, 11:30
many variables, but if you mostly just by food/gas and don't stay in hotels or eat out, you can go around 3 months give or take
Not much room there for gear replacement, so that could cut down your food $ if you have to fork out a couple hundred after two months because of busted shoe, busted poles, etc

MuddyWaters
05-30-2016, 11:33
Oy.

Some people, very few people, could make it all the way on that.

Others wouldnt make it past Damascus

If careful, you could make it Harpers Ferry.

How do you feel about wearing thrift store sneakers when your shoes wear out?

Youd be better off starting a month late, and working longer to save more money. Starting with the crowd will eat some money up early when cold front comes thru and drives you off trail. The less party people you are around, the more you will hike, and not spend money as well.

SteelCut
05-30-2016, 11:35
The standard figure is $1000/month. Many do it on less with proper budgeting. So, with $1500, you could get through Damascus and probably quite a bit further into VA. Early season NOBO's spend extra money on hotels and hostels due to bad weather. If you could delay your start until April or May to avoid bad weather you'd save $$$ on those expenses would would help extend your trip. Just make sure you have enough in reserve to get yourself home afterwards.

Uriah
05-30-2016, 11:38
If I'm unable to raise the funds for a NOBO thru hike next spring, typically how far would $1500 take me if all my gear was purchased? Thanks.

There's a lot of available time between now and then; can't you find a little more work or reduce your existing expenditures some?

$1500 isn't much, but I suspect if you can curtail all unnecessary expenditures, you can come close to completing half the trail. I'm a bona fide cheapskate and found my calling in thru-hiking(!), but then I'm willing to put up with a lot of crap that most would never dare...pilfering hiker boxes, avoiding town stays, using secondhand gear (including shoes) and so forth. I spent just over $2600 for the whole trail (excluding gear already owned). But I never spent money to sleep anywhere and refused to pay for the GSMNP permit...and I bought cheap shoes at thrift stores en route, when needed. And my high-tech hiking poles are made of wood and are found in the forest. If you expect comfort (beer, hostels, etc), that money won't even get you close to halfway. It's hard to know an accurate answer for you, since it's hard to know a person's spending habits, and whether they can be changed.

Hikingjim
05-30-2016, 11:44
steep climbs/descents combined with horrible weather can cause someone to question their original budget and plan of "sticking to the trail and being cheap"
So how you respond to those impulses will be a lot of the issue. It could be more fun to do what you can comfortably and finish the rest of the trail later

capehiker
05-30-2016, 11:49
If you only have $1500, do not start before April 15. Maximize your efficiency by avoiding the bulk of the inclement weather. You can also put in higher mileage days with more sunlight. It's good you recognize this financial situation now. If you are dedicated enough, there should be no reason you can't earn another $3-4,000 before next spring.

As an FYI- I just did 8 zero days nursing a badly sprained ankle. Thankfully I budgeted an emergency fund on top of my budget.

Hangfire
05-30-2016, 15:07
This could be a very interesting challenge, have someone send you $300 a month and that's all you get to live on...I see a reality TV series coming. I was going to say, I saw some kids (early 20's) pull off some amazingly cheap thru hikes but that being said they have youth on their side. It's so hard to get out of town after resupply, all the fast food urges, cheap hotels, internet, showers, washing machines, they just call to you like the sirens. You would really have to have a unbendable will to pull something like this thing off, but hey who says it can't be done, the 68 cent challenge!

-Rush-
05-30-2016, 16:44
I heard one of the guys that works at Neel Gap said he did it on $2/day. He also added that he didn't drink, smoke, or do drugs. I'd imagine if you're focused on hiking most of the day and minimizing days in towns you could pull it off. Having said that, if it's your first time you probably won't be able or want to hike that way once you start having some fun with other hikers and passing cool places.

Lone Wolf
05-30-2016, 16:52
don't pay for any shuttles. hitch everywhere

gracebowen
05-30-2016, 17:47
If you dont already start using coupons and put the savings in your hiker fund. Many discourage mail drops but I would buy a dehydrator and start dehydrating food to have mailed to me.

Ive read posts about paying a dollar for ramen at a convenience store. At the grocery store I can get 6 for a dollar. Not saying you should eat ramen just posting an example.

I havent tried it yet but I read an article about making your own fuel. Basically melt wax dip cotton ball in and put on wax paper to dry. Supposed to burn for 15 minutes. Also a bit bulky.

If you have friends and family save wax for you you could have some very cheap fuel.

Id look on the internet and look for dirtbagging and money saving ideals.

Oh yeah if you can stop spending your change and statt saving it. You might be suprised how much it adds uo.

gracebowen
05-30-2016, 17:49
Sorry just posting again so I can subscribe to the thread.

TheCheek
05-30-2016, 19:54
Figure out a cause you care about and go door to door in the right neighborhoods with the right message and you will fund your hike plus thousands for the cause. Should be easy enough to save if time is on your side.

Spirit Walker
05-30-2016, 20:59
That's really unethical, using a cause to fund your vacation.

Go out and earn the money to do what you want to do. As others have said, if working longer will give you extra funds, then consider starting later, doing a flip or even doing a SOBO. Sometimes that doesn't work if your living expenses equal your income. One thing you might do is let your family know that instead of presents, you'd like contributions to your hiking fund for Christmas and birthdays. Do you have anything worth selling?

I hiked around some really really cheap hikers. (I was low budget, but not cheap.) Doing a really low budget hike means denying yourself a lot: no pizza, beer, cigarettes, hostels, showers, etc. It means avoiding spending time in towns, no matter how tired you are or how hungry. It means filling your food bag from the hiker box, if there's anything there when you get there. It means having a very limited repetitive diet. (i.e. Ramen). One guy I hiked with bought pasta in large bags, along with bologna and cheese. That was lunch and dinner for the first two weeks. Check out Weathercarrot's article here on the site. He did very low budget hikes. Some people are okay with that kind of denial, but others are not. It takes luck (no injury or equipment failures, no major snow storms that keep you in town for several days). On the CDT, I met some hikers who did maildrops that they packed ahead of time, taking advantage of bulk buying. On the trail they allowed themselves $25 in each town to spend as they wished. For them, that meant beer and cigs, plus the occasional burger not motels or laundromats, but YMMV. They relied on the kindness of people they met along the way who invited them home to get an occasional shower and laundry or offered them meals, but that is pretty uncertain, especially on the AT. They had some scary encounters as well as good ones.

I agree with the advice to start later so you avoid getting stuck in town to wait out bad weather.

CamelMan
05-30-2016, 21:10
In China, they eat rice with every meal. On the AT, make oatmeal your staple food. If you get bored and want something else, cook. Prepared food (esp hiking food) is a terrible deal. You'll miss out on some things that are calorie dense, so you'll carry a bit more weight, but you'll probably save a ton of money. That was my plan--oatmeal. Instead of a dry bag you can take a tupperware container from town to town and cook your own food in hotel microwaves. I did this on my failed thru in 2010 because I'm vegan and even if I weren't, I want my leafy greens, but it works for saving money too. When the container was clean it held my cell phone, wallet, whatever.

When shopping, calculate the price of something per 1000 calories, or calories per penny, to get the best deal.

rocketsocks
05-30-2016, 21:14
Just hike as far as you can on what cha got, come back next year and do the same...problem solved.

DavidNH
05-30-2016, 21:20
1500 bucks will (MIGHT) get you as far as Harper's Ferry if you are frugal. No hotel nights, minimize hostels (only stay at cheapest) don't go near bars or restaurants. Prey you don't have to replace any gear. After all that it will still be a challenge on 1500.

skinnbones
05-30-2016, 21:47
Just hike as far as you can on what cha got, come back next year and do the same...problem solved.

At first I had the attitude its all the way or nothing, but now I'm at peace if I turn into a section hiker. My gear is about 75% complete and I'm sure I will save a few more bucks than $1500 by next spring. I was just curious how far that amount would go. I thank everybody for their reply.

ny breakfast
05-30-2016, 22:02

i did exactly this last year with about the same amount of funds to spend,be frugal now save as much as you can, i got about 1200 miles in last year. when i got injured i took bus home. worked and recovered from injury and flipped up north took a total of 3 weeks off i even rented a car from NH to make it home for a wedding. i did have experience in backpacking before hand. but learned alot on being frugal i splurged in town on food and beverage alot maybe $100-150 in town but i didn't stop in every town maybe every 100-150 miles or so. I only planed my trip in two days and got on a bus. just save every thing you can now, cut out any luxury now, that's the position i'm in now to finish up what i have left, hopefully do some of it this fall. starting later will save alot of money i think i started around June 2nd probably could have eat for nothing all the way to VA and brought no gear at all with the way things are left behind.

TD55
05-31-2016, 00:08
Ya, I been section hiking since the '60's, I like to pick a starting point of a section and leave the ending up to fate. Doesn't have to make a difference whether a hike is one based on miles hiked and money spent. Nothing wrong with searching for and discovering the best brew pubs, bars, local eateries or free showers and on the way and stop at all the terrific scenic views or colorful mushrooms. That can be a big plus for the next time you do that section. Just sayin'.

squeezebox
05-31-2016, 08:50
At first I had the attitude its all the way or nothing, but now I'm at peace if I turn into a section hiker. My gear is about 75% complete and I'm sure I will save a few more bucks than $1500 by next spring. I was just curious how far that amount would go. I thank everybody for their reply.
Lashers unite!!! Well maybe not unite but at least support each other. Nothing wrong with the 2-3 or 20 yr plan.
Rocket socks +++

Bronk
05-31-2016, 09:04
If I'm unable to raise the funds for a NOBO thru hike next spring, typically how far would $1500 take me if all my gear was purchased? Thanks.In 2002 I spent between $1600 and $1700 and spent 4 months hiking from Springer to Waynesboro, about 850 miles. But I averaged a hotel stay only once a month and took all of my zero days on the trail. In today's dollars I'd bet a frugal person who can hike big miles could make it halfway with that amount of money. But most people lack the self discipline to pull it off. What will you do when you are cold, wet and hungry and everybody else on the trail is going into town for a hot meal and a warm bed and a couple of beers? You going to stay at the shelter and cook up a pot of ramen noodles?

MtDoraDave
05-31-2016, 10:57
When I realized that I want to do a thru hike, I started a separate savings account. $35 a week. Yes, I feel it, because I'm also paying off credit cards - I'm living frugally now so I can eliminate debt, while still putting money into an IRA for retirement... and of course "life" still happens (unexpected expenses).

I'll still have a mortgage that will have to be paid when I'm hiking, so it will take me several years to save enough to afford the thru hike AND pay the necessary bills while I'm out hiking and not making any money.

I figured it would take me 5 years to save enough for a thru hike - based on a book I read saying one could hike the AT for about a dollar a mile. It seems that book was written a while ago because the consensus around here is that the cost is much higher, so unless I increase the $35 weekly savings deposit when the credit cards are paid off, it will be more like 7 years to save enough for the hike...
If I have to be miserly the whole hike, worrying about money the whole time, I will be less likely to succeed or enjoy myself while doing so. And if I'm not enjoying myself, why do it?

There are several good ideas in this thread for the op... a couple other ideas are to have a yard sale, eliminating stuff you don't need. Also, if you have lots of friends on facebook, try a gofundme account.

MtDoraDave
05-31-2016, 11:04
I just re-read the original post. Oops, he said "if I'm unable to save enough for a thru hike, how far could I get with... " Somewhere along the thread, I got to thinking the op was trying to hike the whole way on $1500.

Put aside enough for a ride home, then hike 'til you run out of money. :)

Mags
05-31-2016, 12:43
$1500 is a great budget BMT and the Long Trail in one season with some leftover.

saltysack
05-31-2016, 12:47
$1500 is a great budget BMT and the Long Trail in one season with some leftover.

+1.... Or CT and JMT....so many choices!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

oliviamariana
06-05-2016, 18:49
How do you feel about wearing thrift store sneakers when your shoes wear out?

I've been told Salomon has a policy of replacing thru-hikers shoes for free. Doesn't solve your overall cash problem, but it's worth looking to in order to solve that specific problem.

Turtle-2013
06-05-2016, 19:31

I have a friend who last season started in early April ... I met him during his first week in GA. Not counting the equipment he started with, he did the whole trail on JUST over $2000. It can be done, but it takes very intentional effort to keep the costs down. If you are interested PM me and I will send you the explanation that he gave me to give to a couple of friends who are on the trail now and trying to do it as cheaply as possible.

Dogwood
06-05-2016, 19:32

+1.... Or CT and JMT....so many choices!!

+2 Forget the AT as your first LD hike. The AT isn't the center of the hiking world...oh the blasphemy. Consider a shorter trail to thru more conveniently and with a margin of financial error to address the many untold expenses you'll encounter. Easy enough logistically and having a sociable atmosphere would be the CT, JMT, or/and LT. These trails will be started later in the yr than a straight AT NOBO allowing greater time to save too. THEN, a tighter AT budget will take you further the following yr.

After a 06 AT NOBO with a $2000 starting budget, the AT being my first multi month LD hike, where I learned a lot on reducing LD hiking expenses, while also having to stop the thru hike for 3.5 wks to work to sustain the trail budget, ie; I struggled on the AT financially, in 07 while residing in Hawaii and New Jersey I thrued both the LT and JMT SOBO for $1300 all in(this included all my flights, shuttles, bus fares to/from the the THs). On that $1300 I did some additional 200 miles of hiking as well. I was able to do that because I learned from my AT financial experiences.

skinnbones
06-05-2016, 19:52
I fully understand the logics of maybe hiking another trail that I can actually afford, but it HAS to be the Appalachian Trail. This trail has tugged at me for three decades. My friends and family are sick of hearing about my quest. I have time to save before spring, so who knows what cash may be generated. I'm going regardless. IF I run out of funds, I become a section hiker. If I run out of money, I hope to at least make it to Harpers Ferry. Thanks to all.

MuddyWaters
06-05-2016, 21:42
I fully understand the logics of maybe hiking another trail that I can actually afford, but it HAS to be the Appalachian Trail. This trail has tugged at me for three decades. My friends and family are sick of hearing about my quest.

Which is a good reason ,imo, to simply keep things to yourself, and only mention them to others AFTER you do them, and even then only if they inquire pressingly.

I rarely mention anything I do to anyone. Or tell them about it unless they ask. My wife constantly accuses me of being secretive. I asked her today for her plans in July , and the first thing she said " Your not planning a mountain trip!;" I lied and said of course not.

Most people are all talk, and honestly, no one really wants to listen to that.

But....what youll hear now is how you didnt succeed. (If thats turns out to be the case)
80-90% dont. Many well funded. Odds are against you even with adequate $$.

saltysack
06-05-2016, 22:03
Sounds like a second job might be a good idea to cram away more $$$ if your dead set on the AT....

scrabbler
06-05-2016, 22:32
I love when people post these threads and dont indicate their current lifestyle. Telling someone to live on $2/day and no zeros's in town, when they posted this from their Mercedes SUV their parents bought them, in the drive through with RayBans ,and ACs cranking isnt realistic. But anyway. Fill us in how how you already live, and maybe we can set some expectations.

skinnbones
06-05-2016, 23:43
I love when people post these threads and dont indicate their current lifestyle. Telling someone to live on $2/day and no zeros's in town, when they posted this from their Mercedes SUV their parents bought them, in the drive through with RayBans ,and ACs cranking isnt realistic. But anyway. Fill us in how how you already live, and maybe we can set some expectations.
My income is a joke. I work full time in the moving business (Doesn't mean 40 hour weeks). With what little amount is left after rent and utilities, I have done well as my gear is almost complete. Down jacket, boots, and sleeping gear is all I lack. Less zero days, no town layovers, and other "enjoyments" most hikers experience, is not an issue for me. I'm mentally strong. Unless some unforeseen circumstance appears, I'm guessing that I will have all my gear and $1500 cash. I will hike until I run out. Harpers Ferry will be my goal.

lonehiker
06-05-2016, 23:53
Save a couple hundred bucks and don't buy the down jacket. A fleece layer will work as well and is actually more functional. Can find one in thrift store or Walmart. Buy hiking shoes/cross trainers instead of boots. Search for shoes at Sierra Trading Post and you can usually get some pretty good deals. Take the "savings" and put it in your hiking fund. This might add 15 - 20% to your fund.

fastfoxengineering
06-06-2016, 01:22
Honestly, as I contemplate next year being the year I say screw it and hit the trail. The AT to be precise. Start selling everything you own that's worth selling. I am in that process now. I have extra gear and other misc items that are only worth dollars. But worth selling. I dont need or want this stuff. Especially after a thru hike. If I sell something that cost me $50 originally but have no use for it. I'll either sell it for $5 or donate it. Furthermore, as much as noone likes working you have a goal which is motivation. Get another job, work, work, work. And when your stressed out and tired, you can quit and go live the best life ever. Trail life. You already have $1500 saved. There is NO reason you shouldn't be able to double that in almost a year. Even saving $50 a month puts you close. Make the thru hike a priority now and you'll achieve it. If you can't mentally come up with a way to make that happen, then you may not have the mental strength for a thru. Just saying. Its tough. MAKE it happen, it'll be the most rewarding thing you've ever accomplished

Hoofit
06-06-2016, 04:01
My income is a joke. I work full time in the moving business (Doesn't mean 40 hour weeks). With what little amount is left after rent and utilities, I have done well as my gear is almost complete. Down jacket, boots, and sleeping gear is all I lack. Less zero days, no town layovers, and other "enjoyments" most hikers experience, is not an issue for me. I'm mentally strong. Unless some unforeseen circumstance appears, I'm guessing that I will have all my gear and $1500 cash. I will hike until I run out. Harpers Ferry will be my goal.

As you still need to buy some boots, consider Zappos...not only do they guarantee everything for twelve months, they have a fast turnaround And free shipping both ways...one pair of boots is highly unlikely to be enough to get you to Maine so there's a free pair of boots right there.
And as someone else pointed out, it' a lot easier to avoid towns from the comfort of your arm chair than it is when you're cold and wet and the talk around the campfire is all about the next town with hot showers, burgers and ice cream!
Enjoy!

saltysack
06-06-2016, 09:01
Find out what gear you need and want..shoe size etc....ebay

TheCheek
06-06-2016, 09:53
Save a couple hundred bucks and don't buy the down jacket. A fleece layer will work as well and is actually more functional. Can find one in thrift store or Walmart. Buy hiking shoes/cross trainers instead of boots. Search for shoes at Sierra Trading Post and you can usually get some pretty good deals. Take the "savings" and put it in your hiking fund. This might add 15 - 20% to your fund.

+1 on every point made. There are so many ways to get a good but cheap AT setup. But to repeat - fleece layer instead of down jacket. Save $, save weight. I did without a down jacket on my thru (went with a fleece layer and a rain jacket) and was fine the whole way. Only a couple of times I thought "It would have been nice to have it." but no major issues without it, and plus the 99% of the time I didn't want it, it would have been just dead weight in my pack.

Also starting later in the season you won't need as warm & expensive of gear. Especially if you are planning to go springer to harpers ferry, you've got tons of time even if you start in June. Starting later gives you more time to save up too.

There's a whole variety of footwear people successfully use on the AT. I remember a guy who went to walmart and got $15 tennis shoes who went GA->ME. Of course he replaced them a few times along the way... But for the cost of a single night in a hostel he got 500 miles out of each pair.

You can even DIY your own quilt for much cheaper than a sleeping bag. I've not done it but have heard it's not difficult if you have access to a sewing machine.

If you've not gotten a tent yet, consider a tarp. One last anecdote. There was a guy who went with a piece of silnylon and simply rolled himself up in it like a loosely packed burrito each night. Basically a bivy without the extra $100. You can buy quality light weight fabric like this for cheap at ripstopbytheroll.com.

The further you get on the trail the more commonplace it is to see cheap innovations like the above.

MtDoraDave
06-06-2016, 10:04
+1 on not needing the down jacket - especially if you have a rain jacket - great wind breaker over a couple layers.
Proper footwear is much more important imo.

gracebowen
06-06-2016, 13:06
The guy who wrote the journal a limp in the woods hiked the whole trail in cheapo Wal-Mart sneakers. He went throu 5 or 6 pair and yes he finished. I think the total cost for shoes was about $100.

I might have the journal wrong but not the rest of it.

Bronk
06-06-2016, 13:32
+1 on getting fleece instead of down. I can't imagine a down jacket staying dry enough to be effective hiking the AT in the spring. Everything you own will be wet most of the time...just about the time it starts to dry out it rains again. My layering system is synthetic tshirt, long sleeve fleece, fleece vest and rain jacket. I've used this down to about zero degrees and it works for me.

Bronk
06-06-2016, 13:34
Plus, if you wait until winter is almost over you can usually buy a fleece top for about $5 on sale at Walmart..I buy most of my hiking clothes at the end of the season when everything is on sale and just put them away for the next year. And at $5 if it gets too dirty or smelly or torn you have no guilt in just throwing it away.

fastfoxengineering
06-06-2016, 16:35
Clothes you can dirt bag.. The Macy's puffys go on sale for like $30 and plenty suitable for a thru

saltysack
06-06-2016, 16:46
Clothes you can dirt bag.. The Macy's puffys go on sale for like $30 and plenty suitable for a thru

Costco had down jackets or vests...$20...good quality for the money and light...made my dog a sleeping bag from one.

CalebJ
06-06-2016, 16:58
You can pick up a perfectly serviceable fleece top at Goodwill for a couple of dollars. I keep several in my collection of loaner gear in the basement to hand out when introducing friends to backpacking.

CamelMan
06-11-2016, 12:34
If you're not claustrophobic, for a tent you could try a Eureka Solitaire. It's $70, weights only 2 lb 9 oz, packs small, and has never failed me in the rain. You can use it when you can't find space in a shelter. You can't take your pack in, though.

Speaking of pack, maybe you can get a cheap external frame somewhere like eBay or Campmor, since they haven't been in fashion since 1970 or whenever? In my experience, they are very comfortable and any criticisms are exaggerated. Your back will have access to air, too. Your gear will probably not be the lightest, so that's one thing to think about when you consider which pack to get.

Unless car camping, I've never felt the need to cook on anything besides a DIY "super cat" alcohol stove made from a small cat food can. You can make it with the can, a measuring tape, a marker, and a paper punch, all of which you can find at a dollar store.

Uriah
06-12-2016, 13:05
The guy who wrote the journal a limp in the woods hiked the whole trail in cheapo Wal-Mart sneakers. He went throu 5 or 6 pair and yes he finished. I think the total cost for shoes was about $100. I might have the journal wrong but not the rest of it.

I met ten or so thru-hikers doing this in 2013, including that guy. They'd have converted me (the shoes they were buying were actually quite high-quality running shoes), but instead I went the thrift store route, along with one pair in a mail-drop from home, sent via the slow boat. Cheaper yet!

MuddyWaters
06-12-2016, 16:55
Warren Doyle has walked the trail.......about 16 times.
He buys shoes at thrift stores

Some gear is more pleasureable to use, or more functional, but the most important item that determines success is whats between the ears.

Those that make it all the way, probably would regardless of gear used. Those that drop out, probably would regardless of gear used as well.

The overhanging problem, is theres no way around eating, you have to do that. And food costs $. $10-15 per day, isnt unreasonable on the trail.

glenlawson
06-13-2016, 21:28
I want to second the "start a little later." A late April, early May start will save you on cold weather gear. There will be less of a need to sit out a late storm if you start after the storm. If you are a little behind the crowd, there will be less of a call to zero in town and spend money on a buffet.

When it comes to gear, there are some places where you can save and others where you will want quality. I need good socks and shoes, but I can save on other clothing. Make your gear choices and stand by them especially when you pretty much walk through two outfitter stores in the first 140 miles.

Your mental game will be what gets you the farthest. Can you stick with your goals day after day? One advantage you have is that you know you only have a certain amount of time on the trail. If you spend time off the trail, you aren't getting to your goal. I think your hike will truly define "hike your own hike."