PDA

View Full Version : Rainbow Tarptent

View
01-02-2006, 14:49
Does anyone have any comments on the rainbow tarptent with the floor installed?

http://www.tarptent.com/rainbow.html

I am looking for something light - but still protective enough for Springer in early March. I am 6 foot 4 and this tarptent looks to be a good answer for that issue.

What do you think?

justusryans
01-02-2006, 20:34
While I do not have this tent, I do have the Cloudburst 2. I plan on being on Springer in early March and I don't forsee any problems. Henry Shire's tarptents are solid.

digger51
01-02-2006, 21:10
I just looked at the photos in the web page and have one concern about the tarptents. It seems there is a lot of open space at the bottom where the cold winds can blow in. Am I seeing correctly? Any ideas on the Six Moons Designs tents. They are lightweight and appear to reach the ground all around to cut the wind. I am also looking for a new lightweight tent and would like feedback if possible.

Frosty
01-02-2006, 21:16
I just looked at the photos in the web page and have one concern about the tarptents. It seems there is a lot of open space at the bottom where the cold winds can blow in. Am I seeing correctly? Any ideas on the Six Moons Designs tents. They are lightweight and appear to reach the ground all around to cut the wind. I am also looking for a new lightweight tent and would like feedback if possible.I have a Cloudburst tarptent (the older model). The mesh allows for ventilation. It can be pitched so that the tent wall is down to the ground to keep out splashing rain. My tent has no floor but I assume you can do the same thing with floored Henry Shires tarptents.

digger51
01-03-2006, 02:05
Thanks Frosty, I have spent several very cold March and April nights in Ga and am looking to try to at least sleep warm.

justusryans
01-03-2006, 08:55
I have a Cloudburst tarptent (the older model). The mesh allows for ventilation. It can be pitched so that the tent wall is down to the ground to keep out splashing rain. My tent has no floor but I assume you can do the same thing with floored Henry Shires tarptents.

Yes, You can.:D

snarbles
01-11-2006, 18:19
It's becoming a toss up between the Lunar SoloE and this new Rainbow......hmmmm

Any firsthand reviews welcome.

Kerosene
01-11-2006, 20:38
I used the Lunar Solo on my Virginia Narrows 9-day section hike around Memorial Day last year. I was very satisfied with the design but have not had significant bad weather experience with it.

After looking at the specs for the Rainbow and the Lunar, I can't quite see why you consider it a toss up.

Price: Lunar=$235 Rainbow=$215
Weight: Lunar=23 Rainbow=30
Height: Lunar=45 Rainbow=43
Floor Space: Lunar=27.5 Rainbow=23
Poles: Lunar=0 Rainbow=1
Packed Size: Lunar=15x4 Rainbow=20x4
Stakes: Lunar=6 Rainbow=2

Both appear to have a comparably sized vestibule. The Rainbow is "free-standing" (with 2 stakes) if you use hiking poles. The Lunar uses a hiking pole for the main pole, or you can buy a dedicated pole which will add another 2 ounces. The Lunar appears to have better rain protection while retaining airflow.

I'd go with the Lunar, since I think 7 ounces with more space and a better overall design is worth $20 more. If you're planning a thru-hike then you might want to consider the heavier floor, adding 3.5 ounces to the configuration.

snarbles
01-11-2006, 20:48
I used the Lunar Solo on my Virginia Narrows 9-day section hike around Memorial Day last year. I was very satisfied with the design but have not had significant bad weather experience with it.

After looking at the specs for the Rainbow and the Lunar, I can't quite see why you consider it a toss up.

Price: Lunar=$235 Rainbow=$215
Weight: Lunar=23 Rainbow=30
Floor Space: Lunar=27.5 Rainbow=23
Poles: Lunar=0 Rainbow=1
Packed Size: Lunar=15x4 Rainbow=20x4
Stakes: Lunar=6 Rainbow=2

Both appear to have a comparably sized vestibule. The Rainbow is "free-standing" (with 2 stakes) if you use hiking poles. The Lunar uses a hiking pole for the main pole, or you can buy a dedicated pole which will add another 2 ounces. The Lunar appears to have better rain protection while retaining airflow.

I'd go with the Lunar, since I think 7 ounces with more space and a better overall design is worth $20 more. If you're planning a thru-hike then you might want to consider the heavier floor, adding 3.5 ounces to the configuration.

The Length seems to be the one thing the Rainbow does have:
Length: Lunar=88 Rainbow=98

Not sure if that extra 10" is worth the extra weight though.
Also wondering which would have more space for 2 people in a jam.

Kerosene
01-12-2006, 11:36
I can't tell from the diagrams, but if the extra length is desirable then make sure you determine how high the ceiling is at the ends. From the pictures, it looks like the Rainbow might have the edge here, since the hoop pole appears to raise the ends somewhat. However, if you're looking for a little extra space for another (small-ish) person in a pinch, then I think you'll be more interested in the width and usable floor space. The Lunar appears to be 8" wider than the Rainbow (54" vs. 46"), which would seem to be more attractive than extra length if you were trying to squeeze in another person. In looking at the length-width dimensions, it's not clear to me how they are calculating sleeping floor space.

QHShowoman
01-12-2006, 12:07
"Franco" on BackPacker forums recently purchased and received the Rainbow (and all the way in Australia, to boot). He posted this pic that shows the interior space:

http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/over-6.jpg

hshires
01-12-2006, 22:33

Normally, I would stay out of this and let actual users jump in but I did want to point out that if there's one area where the Rainbow really excels it's headroom. Someone 6'7" (or taller, don't know anyone taller than that) can sit up in the middle of the Rainbow and not touch the roof. The Lunar Solo is a superb shelter but comparing peak heights (45 vs 43) is very misleading because you also need to look at the geometries of the two shelters and see how and where peak heights occur and how those heights relate to where you are in the shelter. Apologies to Ron -- I do not mean this to disparage the Lunar Solo, only to point out a misinterpretation of "data."

Henry Shires
Tarptent

Kerosene
01-13-2006, 22:23
I agree with hshires (Henry Shires of TarpTent fame); it's usable peak height that's really important. The Rainbow looks to have a much broader "average height" than the Lunar due to the arched pole.

Franco
01-23-2006, 05:34
I have posted many pictures in the gear forum of http://www.backpackinglight.com
have a look there, however this one will show the useable height of the Rainbow in freestanding mode
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/25-cm-to-spare.jpg
I am 173cm tall (68") and the top of the tent is 25cm (10") away.
This pic was actualy taken by standing the end of the arch pole on a brick, you could use a small rock for that. I am happy with the height I get in any configuration.
Feel free to ask any question about the Rainbow, apart from the performance in the wild, only backyard testing at the moment.
Franco

ronmoak
01-23-2006, 10:21
Normally, I would stay out of this and let actual users jump in but I did want to point out that if there's one area where the Rainbow really excels it's headroom. Someone 6'7" (or taller, don't know anyone taller than that) can sit up in the middle of the Rainbow and not touch the roof. The Lunar Solo is a superb shelter but comparing peak heights (45 vs 43) is very misleading because you also need to look at the geometries of the two shelters and see how and where peak heights occur and how those heights relate to where you are in the shelter. Apologies to Ron -- I do not mean this to disparage the Lunar Solo, only to point out a misinterpretation of "data."

Henry Shires
Tarptent

I'd agree with Henry that the Rainbow does have a nice high arch with spacer that contributes to better overall headroom. However, tents are for sleeping and while the enhanced headroom is nice it won't make you sleep any better. Nor will provide better weather protection.

However, I feel the extra floor space around the sleeper combined with a high layer of netting around the premiter helps keep you away from condensation froming on the walls. Being able to sleep at night without fearing your going to roll your bag or face into a cold wet wall does contribute to a better sleep, at least in my experience.

In the end both tents will work, so it's mostly a matter of personal preference.

Ron

Footslogger
01-23-2006, 10:24
[quote=ronmoak]I'd agree with Henry that the Rainbow does have a nice high arch with spacer that contributes to better overall headroom. However, tents are for sleeping and while the enhanced headroom is nice it won't make you sleep any better. Nor will provide better weather protection.
==============================================
Probably of greater value to the taller hikers. At 5'10" I can sit up fine in the Lunar Sole-e.

'Slogger

Heater
01-23-2006, 11:48
I have posted many pictures in the gear forum of http://www.backpackinglight.com
have a look there, however this one will show the useable height of the Rainbow in freestanding mode
http://i43.photobucket.com/albums/e389/Francophoto/Tarptent%20Rainbow/25-cm-to-spare.jpg
I am 173cm tall (68") and the top of the tent is 25cm (10") away.
This pic was actualy taken by standing the end of the arch pole on a brick, you could use a small rock for that. I am happy with the height I get in any configuration.
Feel free to ask any question about the Rainbow, apart from the performance in the wild, only backyard testing at the moment.
Franco

It is tall and roomy but it also looks very "verticle." I would like to know how it is in windy conditions. I don't think it will blow down but how stable is it as far as shaking with wind gusts? IOW... does it blow around a lot?
Also, how is it with condensation.

I don't know if you can get a good test of this in the backyard but please post results when you have tested it out in a more open and cold environment.

Thanks.

Franco
01-25-2006, 06:20
Because of my , so far, backyard tests, I can only comment on condensation. What I liked at first, from the initial picture on Backpackinglight and from a shot that HS sent me, was the shape and design of the tent. I have slept under many different fabrics but only on top of silnylon, so condensation in a single wall silnylon tent was the great unknown to me . I have done my best to cause condensation inside but so far all I get is a damp area at the top no drips. I have had a couple of nights in it with relatively high humidity (70/80% ?) outside but still nothing much. There is a lot you can do to increase or decrease ventilation. so far the floating floor with net around it and the vent on top works for me. I think that after you have tried different fabrics and shapes and configurations , you get an idea of what to expect, so I feel that the Rainbow will do well ( for an ultralight tent) in the wind.
Franco
Elsewhere I predicted that the Rainbows ( Rainbow and Double Rainbow) will be the most successful HS creations . Next year, who knows?
Soon you will see comments from others. (Please............)

justusryans
01-25-2006, 07:44
Henry makes a great product. He puts a lot of thought into his designs. If you have ever used a Shire Tarptent you know they are designed for the real world and not the showroom floor.

Big Dawg
02-17-2006, 12:59
Double Rainbow

Double Rainbow??? Haven't seen that on tarptent.com

Any more info??

hshires
02-17-2006, 13:09
Double Rainbow??? Haven't seen that on tarptent.com

Any more info??

The Double Rainbow is as it sounds. The Rainbow will sleep two for short term use and the Double Rainbow is a true 2-sleeper for long-term use with easy access for two. Check the site in early March for photos and spces.

Henry Shires
Tarptent

domnokmis
02-17-2006, 14:44
I'd agree with Henry that the Rainbow does have a nice high arch with spacer that contributes to better overall headroom. However, tents are for sleeping and while the enhanced headroom is nice it won't make you sleep any better. Nor will provide better weather protection. The classic argument for using a bivy instead of a tent, but besides sleeping, many change clothes in a tent, and move around to a degree. In particular, rainy days are made easier if one can at least sit up and change into dry sleeping clothes in the evening, and (ugh) put the wet ones back on in the morning. If the weights are comparable, being able to sit up is a plus.

hshires
02-17-2006, 15:31
It is tall and roomy but it also looks very "verticle." I would like to know how it is in windy conditions. I don't think it will blow down but how stable is it as far as shaking with wind gusts? IOW... does it blow around a lot?

Austexs,

There are some new photos and comments posted here that address your concerns about wind:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/2280/index.html

Thanks.

-H

Heater
02-18-2006, 07:32
Austexs,

There are some new photos and comments posted here that address your concerns about wind:

http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-bin/backpackinglight/xdpy/forum_thread/2280/index.html

Thanks.

-H

Thanks. Some good photos of the tent set up without the poles.

It looks as if the bathtub floor is only raising up a couple of inches in the setup shown. I'd like to have about 6 " of height there. Since the edges of the tent are so close to where you will be laying down your bag, this might be of concern to me regarding "splash" in a heavy rain. Everything else looks GREAT! Will the floor raise up any higher or is that just the way it is setup in those particular photos? This would probably be a tent I would get if there were more "overlap" between the tent shell and the floor height. Of course the double Rainbow would probably eliminate those concerns because there would be more space between me and the edge of the tent. What will be the weight of the new Double Rainbow?

:-?

Ether way, I'll probably be contacting you soon because I have just about decided to get one of your tents. Maybe the Rainbow if the bathtub floor can extend higher.

hshires
02-18-2006, 12:04
Thanks. It looks as if the bathtub floor is only raising up a couple of inches in the setup shown. I'd like to have about 6 " of height there.

The Rainbow floor walls are 4" high and inset 4-6" from all of the driplines/splash zones. It's the same basic design we use on all the models and it works. All the models have longer and wider interior netting-to-netting dimensions than the interior floor dimensions to create a buffer drip/splash zone. Water running off the roof either falls off directly or finds the netting and follows it down to the ground. Splash is highly limited by the netting and anything that does get through the netting gets turned into a fine mist that falls to the ground before it finds the floor. In addition, if you stake the Rainbow down for big storms, the way the back wall pulls out and the way the front beak covers the other long side there's just no chance of water coming through/under either long side.

What will be the weight of the new Double Rainbow?

I don't have a final weight yet but it will be under the weight of the Cloudburst 2.

TogetherinParis
02-24-2006, 18:26
The best thing about the Rainbow is that it is free standing and can be used inside a trail shelter for privacy & comfort when space is available. It also fits perfectly into the long mesh pocket of Ron Moak's Essence pack.

Beachwalker
02-24-2006, 20:24
Speaking of packed size, can someone please compare the packed size of the Rainbow to the packed size of the original Virga (with extended floor). Love my Virga, but that headroom on the Rainbow! :sun

I'd also have to compare what my Virga weighs with the 4 stakes and extended beak, bathtub floor and stock pole (I don't have a scale here... I think it was supposed to be 25 or 26 oz?) to what a Rainbow weighs all together, stakes and tent. :-? (I wouldn't be using it as a freestander.) The tradeoff may just be worth it to me!

Cheers y'all...

BW

hshires
02-24-2006, 20:39
Beachwalker,

I believe that your Virga is probably about 27 ounces with front pole if you have the one with zippered (bathtub) floor and extended beak. The Virga 2 is 30 ounces with one stock pole (32 ounces with recommended two stock poles). The Rainbow, assuming you're going to stake the four corners (and take the 6 stakes) is 32 ounces. Rainbow headroom and floorspace difference is night and day over your Virga (and also the Virga 2 though the Virga 2 has nice space for a solo shelter).

-H

Beachwalker
02-27-2006, 23:33
Henry,
Thanks for the reply. Yes, my Virga has the zippered bathtub floor and extended beak... bought it in early-mid 2004... so 27 oz. is the number I guess. I like taking it out of my pack, people who are unfamiliar with them look at me like I have 3 heads when I say its my tent, whip it out of the little bag, run a pole through the rear, jam a stake in the dirt and pull... viola! Room enough for one. (but you know all this already)

As for the Rainbow, I would be staking out the 4 corners, so only 5 oz. more... not bad. Could you (or anyone) comment on the packed size of the 2 tents?

Thanks much,

BW

hshires
02-28-2006, 00:30
Packed size of the Rainbow is 3" longer than the Virga due to the arch pole (of packed length 20"). Pretty much the same width/diameter. We can have the arch pole made to shorter length for a bit more $ and an ounce or two extra weight if necessary.

-H

Big Dawg
03-20-2006, 15:03
The Double Rainbow is as it sounds. The Rainbow will sleep two for short term use and the Double Rainbow is a true 2-sleeper for long-term use with easy access for two. Check the site in early March for photos and spces.

Henry Shires
Tarptent

Henry, any update on the Double Rainbow?

Garrett
04-26-2006, 00:42
It appear to me that there is an opening between the floor and the walls on the Rainbow. But then why mesh doors if the bugs will just come in the sides?

hshires
04-26-2006, 01:38
Garett,

We need some better photos but, like the other models, there is complete bug netting all the way around the Rainbow: back wall perimeter, both ends, and front zippered door. The floor is sewn to the edges of the netting which wraps 4" into the interior. There are no gaps anywhere and the shelter is bugproof.

-H

sellis
04-26-2006, 09:01
I ordered my Rainbow based on pictures and reviews posted by Franco. Thank you, Franco. I should get it today. Last Friday, I met a thru hiker named Red Ranger at the Gravel Springs Hut. I don’t know how we got into this conversation, but he said he just got his Rainbow the week before. Henry shipped it to him on the trail. He set it up in the parking lot but had not yet used it on the trial. He posts on this site under “CLS” in Thru Hiker Location Report – Where are most NOBOs. He said he planned to post a report on the tent’s performance. I will be taking my tent out in 2 weekends for a short 2-day near Dripping Rock and will post a report on the ultra light gear thread started by Neo (wow this is a cool tent).

snarbles
04-26-2006, 10:00
Eagerly awaiting the double rainbow :banana

I just finished my ray-way deluxe quilt so this combo should be the perfect couple's system.

joel137
04-26-2006, 23:18
Got mine a couple of days ago, waiting for the weekend to pitch it in the living room and seal the seams.

hshires
04-27-2006, 00:39
Got mine a couple of days ago, waiting for the weekend to pitch it in the living room and seal the seams.

Be sure to take some care doing the apex seams and back wall vent, epecially the horizontal seam at the bottom of the vent. Both areas can leak if not properly sealed and best to do them inside and out. There is one seam on top that's particularly easy to miss--the arch pole sleeve seam right where it crosses under the strut sleeve.

-H

joel137
04-27-2006, 21:39
Thanks for the tips!

I assume that you'd recommend talcum after the sealing? Particularly for the stripes on the floor you recommend to prevent slipperies

Franco
05-01-2006, 06:04
Henry Shires has made most of the details of the Double Rainbow known, essentially a wider Rainbow with a double beak and double vent. There are a couple of surprises in the design, should be up on his website very soon.
Franco

Franco
05-02-2006, 06:05
:banana Here are the first official pictures from Mr Shires:
http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html
I love beign in Australia, here is already tomorrow, so I get the news one day ahead of you guys.
Franco

DrewNC2005
05-02-2006, 09:09
Amazing...I just can't see why anyone would go with the typical Hubba Hubba or Lightning as a lightweight freestanding option when there is something out there like this!

chicote
05-02-2006, 10:12
Looks pretty sweet. So the fly area uses only velcro and no zippers? How would that hold up to wind?

attroll
05-04-2006, 01:47
:banana Here are the first official pictures from Mr Shires:
http://www.tarptent.com/doublerainbow.html
I love beign in Australia, here is already tomorrow, so I get the news one day ahead of you guys.
Franco
Is that one free standiong as well?

Franco
05-04-2006, 07:28
Same as with the Rainbow, it can be with trekking poles
Franco

attroll
05-04-2006, 13:58
Cool. Now if they would have two of these set up at Trail Days that would be awesome. I could put them at the WhiteBlaze booth if someone wants to mail me two to setup.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-04-2006, 16:44
I've heard Henry Shires will have these set up at Trail Days. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get in and out of the Rainbow II. I'm a bit worried after seeing the doors, but it is by far the best backpacking tent design I've seen yet.

attroll
05-05-2006, 00:04
I've heard Henry Shires will have these set up at Trail Days. I'm looking forward to seeing if I can get in and out of the Rainbow II. I'm a bit worried after seeing the doors, but it is by far the best backpacking tent design I've seen yet.

Henry Shires will not be at Trail Days this year. He has contacted me and I am working with him right now to have one of his tents if not both of them at the WhiteBlaze booth for viewing. I hope. As of now the WhiteBlaze booth will be across the street from Mount Rogers Outfitters (MRO). The same place it was last year. Like I said Henry has contacted me and if all works out I will have one for display unless he finds someone else to display it. Either way des not matter to me because I want to see one and maybe purchase one.

There will be some of the WhiteBlaze town shirts for sale at our booth. Once this stock is depleted I will not carry them anymore. I will stick to only the hiking shirts in the future. They will be going for a good price. So stop buy for a visit and say hi. I will not be arriving until Friday afternoon sometime. I will be in and out all Saturday but FishenFred or someone will be at the booth all day after the WhiteBlaze get together.

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-05-2006, 13:59
Thanks for the info re: Shires change of plans. Thank you for working with him to try to have the tents available. I hope you (or someone at Trail Days) will have the Rainbow II set up. If I can get in and out of it, we are planning to buy one.

attroll
05-05-2006, 14:06
Thanks for the info re: Shires change of plans. Thank you for working with him to try to have the tents available. I hope you (or someone at Trail Days) will have the Rainbow II set up. If I can get in and out of it, we are planning to buy one.

As of right now he is sending me a Rainbow for sure. He does not know if he will be able to send a Rainbow II. But he said he will see.