PDA

View Full Version : Best tent type for use in Pennsylvania.

oldwetherman
05-30-2016, 23:09
I hate hiking on rocks. I'm a tall, old man with shaky knees and a high center of gravity so maybe I'm just overly concerned about the rocks north of Duncannon. I'm headed to Duncannon this weekend to go northbound and I have a tent question. I have a Tarptent Notch that is not freestanding and a BA Copper Spur that is freestanding. I prefer to use the Notch. Is the Notch doable in the designated campsites listed in AWOL's guide or should I pack the Copper Spur instead? Thanks for any input.

SkeeterPee
05-30-2016, 23:24
I just did 31 miles north of duncannon. We tented both nights. there were many places you could tent. Are you worried about hitting rocks with your stakes? I found I could move my stakes and get a spot that missed the roots and rocks. If this is your concern you might look up one Franco's Tarptent videos were he shows how to stake in difficult locations. you can take a couple extra stakes and some extra line and increasing the allowable staking area by several feet.

Wise Old Owl
05-30-2016, 23:33
Tarptent Notch... is supported by your trekking poles bring some Stren in a pinch - lots of wooded sites that are cleared nearby the trail. stuff the leaf duff under the tent prior to pitch... 14 miles out you come off a ridge and water.. please check you guide book for more information...

oldwetherman
05-31-2016, 20:47
Thanks for the info. It was reassuring.

gwb
06-01-2016, 06:15
Free standing tent would work fine in my opinion, it's what I use. PM if you want a list of campsites that Ive noted over the years. If you are an over planner type you might like that, otherwise just know there are not many sections without campsites. Hamburg water reservoir comes to mind...